Help with car registration on a lease - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Help with car registration on a lease

I have a problem. Just as I was moving to Iowa, I decided to lease a new car in Illinois. I felt I would have a better selection and be able ot work a better deal on my trade-in and dealing with a much smaller local Honda dealer (local meaning only 50 miles away)

Anyway... I went ot the DMV in Iowa to register my vehicle and I was told I needed to pay a 5% road useage tax (of the remiaing lease value) to register here. So baiscally they want $850!!! Now when I leased my vehicle, I paid 7.25% sales tax... plus a little more since I was in Cook County.

Now, can I get a refund of what I paid to Illinois...or am I going to get taxed twice? My other option is to hope my registration renewal gets forwarded in the mail in Jan. to my Iowa address.

On a positive note, the DMV is located at the county courthouse in town. There are no lines and the people working there are very friendly. In Illinois they hire cold emotionless machines disguissed as humans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Every state s different, yopur not getting taxed twice, you paid sales tax here, now your paying a road useage tax there, hell in arizona you pay property tax on your vehicles, and it comes out to thousands of dollars a year. welcome to state government

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 09:46 AM

Yeah, a 'road use' tax is for registration only....looks like they are collecting it all up front instead of year to year.

Best thing about paying property tax on the regs....you get to deduct it from your taxes.

BTW, how much is the plate fee in, and of, itself? WI keeps raising our plate fees to offset road construction costs.......similar to a 'road use' tax.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Iowa is typically cheaper on the plate fees. I paid $30 for my motorcycle registration.

What sucks... is that if I have purchased a car, I wouldn't need to pay the road use fee... but because it's a lease I do.

Shouldn't I be able to get a refund on my IL taxes for the amount of the lease I haven't paid. Unless it technically was "sold" to Honda Leasing Division... then leased to me.

I know 1 thing for sure...I'm not giving Iowa $850 to register my vehicle. I will find a way around it. Maybe I can go to the Illinois DMV and claim temporary residency in Iowa and just get my address changed... so my registration is mailed to Iowa.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 03:28 PM

Do you lease the car for business? If so, you can write off the fees you do pay to the Iowa DMV, IF you can't get around paying them, that is.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally posted by taziscool
Do you lease the car for business? If so, you can write off the fees you do pay to the Iowa DMV, IF you can't get around paying them, that is.
excellent idea.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

nope...it's a personal vehicle.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 04:40 PM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
Quote:
Originally posted by taziscool
hhhmmm, if it is used as transportation to get to work could that be considered "for business"?

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 04:45 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally posted by Sticky
hhhmmm, if it is used as transportation to get to work could that be considered "for business"?

Nope, that doesn't count.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 04:50 PM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
Quote:
Originally posted by Chills
Nope, that doesn't count.
Can I write off a bike, I post all day on a motorcycle message board while I'm at work.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 04:52 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally posted by Sticky
Can I write off a bike, I post all day on a motorcycle message board while I'm at work.

I wish. If you are able to do that then everyone on here is gonna get a nice deduction.... so we can buy more stuff for our bikes... thus spurring the economy!

Sorry, off topic.

Mike, I think you'll just have to pay the tax. When I moved up here I had to pay registration taxes on a trailer I just bought in Alabama..... long story.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 05:20 PM
" It Time To Ride "

Sportbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Years Riding: 20+
How you found us: Long search for motorcycle clubs online

Send a message via MSN to Justmax
Quote:
Originally posted by HDTony
Every state s different, yopur not getting taxed twice, you paid sales tax here, now your paying a road useage tax there, hell in arizona you pay property tax on your vehicles, and it comes out to thousands of dollars a year. welcome to state government
Oh yeah Been there before live AZ for 4 years

US MARINE CORP
"Semper Fi''

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to see if my registration will be sent to Honda Finance then forwarded to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode