What does salary mean anyway? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Head Stepper

Sportbike: TREKK
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: member referal

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate
What does salary mean anyway?

Does it mean that an employer can make you work over 8 hours a day or 40 hours a week? Because you don't get overtime or comp-time, what are the legal ramifications for that? Just because you're salaried, doesn't mean you should have to work extra hours.

I guess the only question I have is, does salary mean 40 hours a week, no more no less?? Or does it mean they can take advantage of you??

PS Any workplace lawyers on the board?

<-------- Jeff

Hey baby! You ever been on the back of an expensive sportbike??

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 05:46 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
means i can fuck my boss cause i'm salary.. so when i come in late and leave early every day i work here i get paid the same

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 05:50 PM
CLSB Pimpologist

Sportbike: K5 Gixxer 750
Years Riding: 9 years but not that many miles....
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to HEESH
typically a salary job is one which the hours and amount of work tend to vary week to week. sometimes you could have alot of work to get done by a deadline and your expected to work 50 hours a week. sometimes your week is light and you only work 30 hours. but all in all you get paid the same.

------------------------------------------------
-Heesh

I can't wait for the summer...
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 05:51 PM
Slowass

Yeah, legally, salaried (or as it's called "exempt") employees are exempt from the legal requirement of overtime pay. That is, it's determined that the nature and level of your job is such that sometimes, longer hours will be needed, and sometimes, certain privelages/concessions will be made for your time. The idea is that you are fulfilling a ROLE with the company as opposed to punching in, working, and getting paid for those hours.

So yeah, if you're salaried, you normally work a job that has projects and things that are more self-directed and so you work the hours you need to to get the job done.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 05:52 PM

from what i understand, there isn't a solid tie between salary and hours per week, 40 hrs for full on salary if anything would be likely a guideline, they are abused like Alex said, or ya might have to work your fingers to the bone to get boney fingers and no OT
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 05:55 PM

well said Rachel

so when you say "role" to salaried people get to play D & D and role 20-sided dice to try and hit the red dragon? i could during office hours if no one shows up
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Got Torque?

Sportbike: Buell XB9R
Years Riding: 15 yrs
How you found us: Link on another site (forget which now...)

It can vary. I am salaried, but I still get overtime pay. Go figure.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Head Stepper

Sportbike: TREKK
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: member referal

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate
So, I shouldn't have to work 50 hour work weeks for the entire year?? This blows!

<-------- Jeff

Hey baby! You ever been on the back of an expensive sportbike??

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 06:17 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
OT pay depends on the company, I believe. Where I work if you work on a company holiday then you get paid double time if you're salary. Of course, they divide your yearly salary up to find the hourly, then pay you that times two.

But since I became salary I've been working an average of 50 or so hours a week. My boss met with my co-workers and I yesterday to tell us that when its slow take some time off so we're not working so much.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 06:34 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

To me, salary means you can take advantage of a company, or they can take advantage of you. When I was working for the Evil Empire, otherwise known as Galyan's, the managers were sometimes working 70hrs a week with no overtime pay or bonus. It didn't matter to me since I typically only worked 30 hours, and maybe 40 once in a while. But these other managers always worked 50+. And all this for a company that didn't even give yearly raises.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 06:55 PM
Fast Old Fart on a Bike

Sportbike: 2001 Ducati S4 / '06 WRX STI Tow Vehicle
Years Riding: Since 1966
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to tripod
If you are an exempt salaried employee, you may be required to work more than 40 hours without overtime pay. You, of course, have the option of looking for other emplyment.
You can also negotiate with your employer for additional vacation or comp time. Good luck

Live Fast, Die Young, Have a good looking corpse.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 07:02 PM
CLSB Pimpologist

Sportbike: K5 Gixxer 750
Years Riding: 9 years but not that many miles....
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to HEESH
yeah salary is a double edged sword

------------------------------------------------
-Heesh

I can't wait for the summer...
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 07:08 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

I work for a big hotel corp., this is how they break it down for you when your hired. You are expected to work 50 hours a week, sometimes more, sometimes less if your work is complete. Now that the government changed it around a bit with what "exempt" is it breaks down different for the amount of people that you manage. A manager that works at my place was recently changed from salary to hourly because he didn't meet the requirements, his pay was calculated into 47 1/2 hours including O.T.. Now he can still accumulate more O.T. if he goes over his 47 1/2 hours, so now he works about 60 hours a week and he's banking big time. Sometimes he just hangs out late if there is something going on. No one questions him about his O.T. because he is still perceived as a manager. Wish I was so lucky.

Oh yeah, at my work if you work a sixth day you get an extra day of or another day of pay. Most opt for the extra day off because you get taxed on the O.T. so much it's like working for half what you normally make. Besides they don'y pay you the extra day pay for three months. Still a decent benefit.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit

Last edited by Dr. D; 09-22-2004 at 07:11 PM.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 07:22 PM
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!

Sportbike: Rockets & Harleys
Years Riding: Me love you long time
How you found us: CLSB DECAL

salary

It means you are now expected to work a 45-50+ work week, almost be on call, and what have you done for me lately. That is in most cases....

HR looks at you as the click and you get all the perks, so they watch your every move, if your late they know, but if you stay late they dont care. If you miss a day or take off they know, but if you work from Home or Saturday or Sunday that doesnt count, if you try to slide out Wednesday to go hit a bucket of balls or catch a game.

Just depends on where you work, and how the organizations is run. Mt onwer is great , we have some of the mentioned but that is not the company he wants us to be. We are weeding out the brother & sisterhood of the misery!!!!

So it all depends on your work ethic I guess and how you deal with it!!! I love it and wouldnt trade it for the world, I was in retail for a long time in management and i hated it no time for this!!! Riding!!!! wheeew weeeeeee

***Ashwin RIP Brotha you will be missed***

www.dcdecals.net www.firespeed.com

Life's Journey Is Not To Arrive At The Grave Safely In A Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Sideways, Totally Worn Out, Shouting "HOLY SHIT... What A Ride!"

All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never under estimate your opponent (mentality). Expect the unexpected (could work out in your favor). Two, take it outside(or to a table). Never start anything inside the Bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice.

Turning Shit into Sugar!!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 09:27 PM

IT all depends on the company and your boss. For starters IMO... you already have the wrong attitude. You are paid a fixed amount of money to complete "X" amount of work. No matter how long it takes within reason. Most engineers I've met including myself, average 45-55 hours per week, with some weeks reaching 80 hours if a project demands it.

1) Weekends off are NOT guranteed
2) You must "EARN" a bonus or salary increase
3) You CAN be terminated following a proper review for not meeting a certain work standard taht has been outlined for you.

The reward.... most salaried positions make dramatically more base salary, and have larger bonus structures and pay raises. For example, in my position, I can earn up ot 18% bonus and merit increase for exceeding my performance targets on projects on on day to day assignments.

Salaried positions also allow for this amazing concept called AMBITION. if you have this, and you are skilled enough or can play politics, i na large company, you can move highre in management and make more money, have more responsibility and a larger bonus structure. My director can earn up to 30% in bonuses. So if he makes $120,000, they hand him an additonal check in December for $36,000 if he exceeded most of his goals (projects on time, under budget, improvements in other areas)

SALARY IS NOT ABOUT PUNCHING THE CLOCK. IF you think that, you will be at the top of the list when the company decides ot have layoffs...... unless your over 50, black, female, or multiple of those.... then you job is almost guaranteed for life.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:36 PM
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

Quote:
Originally posted by cherrypicker
IT all depends on the company and your boss. For starters IMO... you already have the wrong attitude. You are paid a fixed amount of money to complete "X" amount of work. No matter how long it takes within reason. Most engineers I've met including myself, average 45-55 hours per week, with some weeks reaching 80 hours if a project demands it.

1) Weekends off are NOT guranteed
2) You must "EARN" a bonus or salary increase
3) You CAN be terminated following a proper review for not meeting a certain work standard taht has been outlined for you.

The reward.... most salaried positions make dramatically more base salary, and have larger bonus structures and pay raises. For example, in my position, I can earn up ot 18% bonus and merit increase for exceeding my performance targets on projects on on day to day assignments.

Salaried positions also allow for this amazing concept called AMBITION. if you have this, and you are skilled enough or can play politics, i na large company, you can move highre in management and make more money, have more responsibility and a larger bonus structure. My director can earn up to 30% in bonuses. So if he makes $120,000, they hand him an additonal check in December for $36,000 if he exceeded most of his goals (projects on time, under budget, improvements in other areas)

SALARY IS NOT ABOUT PUNCHING THE CLOCK. IF you think that, you will be at the top of the list when the company decides ot have layoffs...... unless your over 50, black, female, or multiple of those.... then you job is almost guaranteed for life.
2 years ago, I would have been offended by what you just said.

But in reading the initial post, even before I got to your reply, I felt the EXACT same way you do. I've felt this way ever since I left a job ~1.5 years ago.

Just as cherry said, you are paid "X" salary to do 'X" job. So you have 3 choices:

A) Get it done sooner, you can go home sooner.
B) Take longer, and go home later.
C) Get it done sooner, show some initiative, take on more projects, and go home at regular time.

Now which of those choices do you think will get you further in the company?

I think it's said that "40 hours" is average. I think that varies based on what field of work you're in. Example: engineering? Don't even BEGIN to think that you'll get away with a 40 hour week... figure 45-50 minimum.

The idea behind a salaried job is that you're more important than your average cashier/clerk/etc (no offense to any cashiers or clerks here) who punch a clock to do a menial task. In trade for being "more important" - you get a few perks that hourly employees don't get: a guaranteed, steady paycheck... paid time off... paid sick days... etc.

Sure, employers take advantage of the fixed payscale sometimes - but I bet employees take MORE advantage. Your 40-hour week.. are you including or excluding your lunch hour? Remember that 9-5 is exactly 8 hours. That doesn't include 30-60 minutes for lunch, or the hourly 10-minute cigarette break, etc. Lots of people seem to forget that.

Some companies are understaffed, and overwork their employees. I was involved in a job ~1.5 years ago, where they kept laying off people, but kept increasing the workload. The result? I, along with the rest of my team, averaged (no BS) 80 hours a week, for the last 9 months I was with the company... and there were a handful of 100 hour weeks thrown in there. In that case - they really should have hired more people. And maybe excessive hours is necessary to demonstrate to upper management that "WE NEED MORE PEOPLE." Just be careful - if someone else can do in 40 hours what it takes you 60 hours to do.. you just signed your own walking papers.

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-

Last edited by OmniGLH; 09-22-2004 at 10:44 PM.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 10:41 PM
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

OH, and another thing I forgot to mention...

I'm not sure how the laws have changed recently, but I DO know that 2 years ago, even in a salaried position, the law required the employer to pay OT provided the position met a few requirements...(doing this from memory)

1) The salaried position was for less than $40k/year
2) The position was not considered "professional" in nature - i.e. engineering, medical, etc.

Might want to surf through the IL Dept. of Labor site to look into this.

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OmniGLH
OH, and another thing I forgot to mention...

I'm not sure how the laws have changed recently, but I DO know that 2 years ago, even in a salaried position, the law required the employer to pay OT provided the position met a few requirements...(doing this from memory)

1) The salaried position was for less than $40k/year
2) The position was not considered "professional" in nature - i.e. engineering, medical, etc.

Might want to surf through the IL Dept. of Labor site to look into this.
That actually sounds right. Come to think of it...anytime someone at my company fits that description, they are are typically paid overtime....but the company is only required to pay straight time. First level supervisors often fit this description.

If it's a really good job with a good company...you don't mind working the extra hours because you WILL get rewarded, and you take some pride and ownership for the companies continued sucess.

Working for a company where people actually care about the companies performance is 100 times better than one where most people punch a clock, everybody is constantly complaining.... and management doesn't understand how to positively motivate their workforce, and how to develop employees and best use their individual talents.

A good manager coaches you one what you did wrong...they don't ream you out or pile the blame on you to save their ass. The failure of a subordinate ot perform their job is a failure of management to do an adequate job of recruiting or traing & mentoring that position.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 11:56 PM
Please attend carefully..

Sportbike: 2000 ZX6R (the green one!)
Years Riding: 2000
How you found us: I've been here a while...

I don't know about any of youse guys, but if you work in an industry or occupation affected by SOX (Sarbannes-Oxley), basically add 50-100% (minimum) to the time it will take to complete a project.

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - JP2

"Life is just a place where we spend time between games" - former Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero

"everyone's a nutjob, some just have more restraint than others" - EndlessRR
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 11:58 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowass
Yeah, legally, salaried (or as it's called "exempt") employees are exempt from the legal requirement of overtime pay. That is, it's determined that the nature and level of your job is such that sometimes, longer hours will be needed, and sometimes, certain privelages/concessions will be made for your time. The idea is that you are fulfilling a ROLE with the company as opposed to punching in, working, and getting paid for those hours.

wow, rachel. sometimes you DO say such smart things!! everyone remember that the next time she's being picked on.

anyway...yeah...some consulting and law firms will pay salary but they make you log your hours anyway (because they have to bill your time). The one I work at has a minimum and maximum number of hours worked per month....if you work over the max, you get overtime. If you work under the max, you have to provide a reason (vacation, personal time, etc).

It's nice. I got a $1600 paycheck once for two weeks of work.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Norseman82
I don't know about any of youse guys, but if you work in an industry or occupation affected by SOX (Sarbannes-Oxley), basically add 50-100% (minimum) to the time it will take to complete a project.
What the hell is this Sarbannes-Oxley? Is this a pair of psycologist with some theory...or a couple consultants that peddle this time management "system" to companies like Kepner-Treggo.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 12:41 AM
Please attend carefully..

Sportbike: 2000 ZX6R (the green one!)
Years Riding: 2000
How you found us: I've been here a while...

SOX is a law passed in the wake of the Enron, etc. scandals that is supposed to increase internal controls and segregation of duties. Although many associate it with accounting, it is especially impacting IT because of all the documentation and multiple levels of approvals for even the simplest of changes and it can drag out a project weeks beyond what it would normally take (unless you become a pest to the people you need to do the approvals, which is what I've been doing in the past few days).

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - JP2

"Life is just a place where we spend time between games" - former Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero

"everyone's a nutjob, some just have more restraint than others" - EndlessRR
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by butchf
Don't like Kepner-Treggo
The average engineer automatically does "kepner Treggo" activities in his head in seconds. That's how they are wired.

It's good for business majors and management types that don't think analytically and need to do most of their problem solving on paper where thye can see it.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 08:52 AM
K.I.S.S

Sportbike: CBR600RR & H-D Softail Custom
Years Riding: almost as long as it took to fill this out
How you found us: through a miracle

Send a message via AIM to MikeD
Re: What does salary mean anyway?

Quote:
Originally posted by Pirate
Does it mean that an employer can make you work over 8 hours a day or 40 hours a week? Because you don't get overtime or comp-time, what are the legal ramifications for that? Just because you're salaried, doesn't mean you should have to work extra hours.

I guess the only question I have is, does salary mean 40 hours a week, no more no less?? Or does it mean they can take advantage of you??

PS Any workplace lawyers on the board?
while it is true they are paying you to show up and work. It is standard bussiness practice to work a 40 hour week.

Although if you do more or less you get nothing extra unless it is in your contract. Yes they can make you work more for the same amount, and Yes you can show up less and make the same amount.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 06:27 PM

So did anyone look up IL Dept of Labor?
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 08:07 AM
RIDER SEARCHING FOR A RID

Sportbike: '02 NINJA ZX9R, WTB '98 & up ZX9R
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: SEARCH ENGINE

Send a message via Yahoo to ECLIPSE
Quote:
Originally posted by Slowass
That is, it's determined that the nature and level of your job is such that sometimes, longer hours will be needed, and sometimes, certain privelages/concessions will be made for your time.
I don't usually get the longer hours but extra days are common. Rarely see any priveleges unless I decide to order pizza & let the company pay for it. I'm in operations for a Class I railroad & the nature of our job is 24/7 coverage. So if I or someone else needs time off someone else has to cover. Makes planning a life difficult at times. Also, when someone's on vacation the other 3 mgr's have to cover. Two of us have 4 weeks/yr vacation & the other 2 have 5 weeks. After covering vacations we actually end up with about a week & half per year.

A good manager coaches you one what you did wrong...they don't ream you out or pile the blame on you to save their ass.

I work under the old adage of "Shit rolls downhill."

ZX9 - THE LEGEND LIVES ON!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode