Anyone know anything about real estate law? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
I miss mopar

Sportbike: 2008 Yamaha Zuma
Years Riding: I can't count that high.
How you found us: i don't remember.

Send a message via AIM to Drama Send a message via Skype™ to Drama
Anyone know anything about real estate law?

When i was looking for a place to buy in the suburbs the real estate agent made me sign a contract before he took me out looking. He told me that if I buy a property he shows me with someone else I have to pay him $500. Well it's been 4 months and I have had another agent show me stuff downtown, which he doesn't cover, we never talked about, and he has never shown me. He's now telling me that my contract says I can't buy with anyone else anywhere until the end of October or else I owe him $500 and he will file action to have the girl I'm using stripped of her license. He also said at the time I signed the contract that If at anytime I am unhappy with his service he will terminate the contract.

Well I can't find my copy of the contract. I wrote an e-mail to him and his boss asking to terminate my contract. He is pissed off and he wants the name and company of my agent so he can screw her over I'm assuming. Can I have the contract terminated and buy a place downtown that the girl I want to use showed me? What type of legal grounds does this guy have? Should I grab my ankles? Can I terminate my contract and just start searching again from scratch with the girl I want to use?

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
Dirt: TBD
I love bike shopping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 07:30 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

Why do you even have to disclose that you have bought a property? Just don't tell them anything. I don't have any idea what I'm talking about here so take my advice with a grain of salt. It sounds like a real bogus situation to me.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 07:35 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

the whole sounds weird, wait till after october if you cant get out of it, BUT get a copy, they OWE you it, by law!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
I miss mopar

I will be asking for a copy. I really wany this place up for sale, but If it means waiting until then end of october so i don't have to deal with Keller Williams so be it Their manager is going to get a phone call from me tomorrow.

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
I love bike shopping.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 07:43 PM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
dude,

I have never heard of having to sign a contract with a real estate agent before. That doesn't sound right to me. Exclusive rights to sell you a house? I have heard of that when you are trying to sell a house, 'giving the listing to a certain agent' but never what you are talking about... But then again I rent for a reason

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 07:55 PM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
sounds a bit odd, at any rate it sounds like you're getting put into a high pressure buying situation though so you may want to chill and not rush into anything. Definitely get a copy from your previous agent.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
I miss mopar

It's not high pressure, just a place I really like and I want to get. Thinks sell quick around here.

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
I love bike shopping.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 11:42 PM

Sounds like a scam. I have the name and number of a lawyer that deals in residential real estate. I'm not sure if this falls into his expertise. PM me if you want his info.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 06:35 AM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

I think any real estate contract can be broken with a 15 day notice. Check to be sure but thats what the *standard* contract normally says

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 08:32 AM

contract says I can't buy with anyone else anywhere until the end of October or else I owe him $500 and he will file action to have the girl I'm using stripped of her license.

Dont know about the law, but i have no doubt that first talk to the girl who is showing you around, ask her, tell her whats up, it is in her best interest to tell you whats up
Second, not sure if you know it, but buying a house is not like buying a bike or car, closing takes some time, plus you can ask for a late closing, say nov 1st, takes care of both problems, also i would call the manager of the guy who is giving you problems and tell him you are on several different Internet forums in chicago, and if they do get back to you, you are going to slam them all over all the forums, tell them how bad they treated you and how you would never use them again
thay will at times make them a little nicer, this internet thing has helped me out several times
good luck
R
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 08:39 AM

Sportbike: '04 yz250f
Years Riding: enough to know better
How you found us: search engine

There may be contract that if the agent shows you so many properties and you end up not buying he may charge you for his time. In addition to it, there usually is a clause that even if your contract expires they still are entitle to their comission for another 30 days. Get a copy of the contract.
And if you are seriously interested in buying that place tell the sellers your situation, put down some money to show good faith and see what happens. I find it often that sellers are willing to cooperate when they know that you are serious about the purchase. And one more thing, mortgage approval is highly recommended before you go talk to them.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
I miss mopar

I know closing takes time, The problem is I can't put in an offer until the contract is broken.

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
I love bike shopping.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 09:41 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Call this person's manager. You obviously changed ideas on where to live. If that is outside of his/her area, not much they can do. And talk to your new agent and her supervisor about this. They will probably have some experience in this. A lawyer will cost more than the fine, so avoid it if possible.

A buddy of mine had to sign a contract similar to this, which sucks because he's house hunting from 1000 miles away. And the bitch just doesn't treat him well. I think I had to as well, but my realtor was pretty good. She wanted to get mine done quick because it was a small commission and the busy season was coming up.

I think your soon to be old realtor is all pissed because of the loss of a BIG commission. Assuming you were looking for a similar priced houses out in the burbs, that person is out about $5000.

You probably should have tried to break the contract as soon as you started looking in the city. But that's armchair quarterbacking on my part.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
I miss mopar

I didn't know about this shit until I was ready to put an offer in on the new place. My new realtor forgot to ask me if I signed a contract because they don't make you do that shit in the city. I have a message into the old realtor's boss and I'm waiting for a call back. I was told when I signed the contract that I can get out whenever I'm not satisfied. If someonething happens where I can not bid on this place i'll just cancel my contract and start from scratch. There is now way that bastard agent is getting a cent of my money.

To me it's just like buying a car. You can talk all day and test drive cars all day at one dealership, but should that mean you have to wait 6 months before you go to another dealership? I am in electronic sales and it's the same situation for us. This is realestate contract is a bunch of bull shit.

Steve
08 yamaha Zuma 49cc
I love bike shopping.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 10:32 AM
" It Time To Ride "

Sportbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Years Riding: 20+
How you found us: Long search for motorcycle clubs online

Send a message via MSN to Justmax
never heard that before

Who is this person??? I never heard that before....Sound scam to me. You should contact restate lawyer. You need one anyway for closing of home.

US MARINE CORP
"Semper Fi''

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 09:04 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
You signed a contract with a Realtor, engaging him as a Buyer's Broker. Such a thing does exist and has become increasingly common in the current "overheated" market.

In a real estate transaction, commissions are paid by the Seller. Therefore, the fiduciary relationship is between the broker (agent) and the Seller - regardless of who brings what half of the transaction to the table. Secured representation by the Buyer ensures the broker/agent that they're not gonna waste a lot of time and get stiffed by a "window shopper".

Remember, folks... we contract people to work FOR/WITH us... if you don't feel your agent is doing an adequate job you need to actively manage the process!!!!

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 01:15 PM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

As a licensed IL Real Estate salesperson who also has a Master of Urban Planning, I can tell you that what they claim is "probably" BS. This is of course with me not seeing the actual contract.

Basically, all agents CAN make you sign an exclusive agency contract to find you a property. Do all of them do this? No and that explains the varience of opinion here.

Where you get into trouble here, however, is if the contracted agent SHOWED you the property. If so then you're probably out of luck.

The actual wording of "showed" is something like, "the contracted agent did some work that eventually led to a completed sale," more or less.

So if the contracted agent worked in the burbs and didn't show you any properties in the city then you should claim that you decided to look for an agent who knew the city better because when you began looking with the contracted agent you realized that you didn't like the locations he was familiar with.

Questions?

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode