Help me stop the little pisser! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

Help me stop the little pisser!

Guys, my roommate has a 13 week old puppy. Yesterday she (my roommate) went to an inpatient mental clinic for AT LEAST a month. And so I have the little pisser to take care of ON TOP OF the million things I do. I am gone most of the day each day (8-4 ish).

Anyway, the little shitter is NOT potty-trained AT ALL. (Since my roommate has done nothing with the dog since she got it).

HELP!!! I got my dog when she was already trained, so I've never had to do this before. The dog pees when you leave her alone-- so I have been leaving her in the the (huge) master bathroom. I've also been limiting her water and not letting her have unlimited drinks. But when I come home she just pees from excitement. Even if she makes it out first, she pees again when she gets in just from the happiness of it all.

So in short, I need advice from those of you who have done this and done it well. We have two other adult dogs in the hsoue and they are fine. You can leave them 10 hours and they are ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 11:33 AM
Midlandite

Sportbike: demonic weedwacker
Years Riding: 10,000 miles
How you found us: apex

Send a message via AIM to Texas Blonde Send a message via Yahoo to Texas Blonde
Crate her!! or She needs to be put in a smaller room, where she wont be able to pee away from where she sleeps and eats. Dogs dont like to dirty the area they live in. Keeping her in a crate or very small room, and only taking her out to go to the bathroom should put her in the habit of going outside. You have to be really committed to this though. Make sure she knows your angry when she pees, but dont take it over the top. Also after a little while of being angry you have to forgive her, pet her and let her know shes still loved. If you dont forgive her, it could have negative affects. If you do keep her in a smaller room, you might also try putting one of the older house broken dogs in with her for an example. Youd be suprised how much a dog will learn this way. If it continues to be bad, when you catch her peeing in the house, AND ONLY WHEN YOU SEE HER DO IT, take her by hand and litterally rub her face in the pee, then immediatly put her outside. Its gross, but has a strong affect. If you dont see her pee, and its obviously been awhile, she will have forgotten what she did. Puppies dont always have the best memory.

Thats all I can think of for now, but I have very successfully housebroken all my dogs by these methods. Good Luck!!

<---- Sky http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8.../FIREdevil.gif As of 5.25.05 my bike has 28,000 miles. (Goal of 40,000 by the end of the year.)

Well they call me the breeze, cause I keep blowin down the road

My Pics
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 11:44 AM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

+1 on the crate. Get one just large enough for it to turn around in.

Another thing that I think helps, is to throw the paper towels you used to clean up the mess, in the yard, where you want them to do business.

On a side note, I have a beagle that messes her crate regardless.

Most dogs benefit from a crate.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Yuip get a crate and block off parts of it so she only has litlerally just enough room to turn around. Dogs instinctivly will not pee if they dont have room to stay away from it. then when you get home, pick her up out of the cage and cary her outside. dont let her feet touch the ground in the house till se go's outside, after a while she will get used to this routine and you wont have to carry her anymore.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 01:07 PM

Sportbike: Gsxr 600
Years Riding: 4 years
How you found us: SBN

sticking the dogs nose in it is one of the worst things you can do, I know we've all done it before. It's bad because the dog (puppie) will get afraid every time it goes that it will eventually start eating or licking it up. I'm not saying all dogs will do this but some will.

Get the puppie a crate big enough for her/him to sleep in and have a place to go in. Puppies really don't have any bladder control and making them hold it for more the a few hours can cause an infection.

When your with the puppy try to put it on newspaper every 1/2 hour or so, so it gets it forms a habit on what to pee on. Damn puppies eat like 3 times a day so expect it to poop at least 3 times too. Just stick to one method and don't change it up so the pup doesnt get confused.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 08:57 PM
R.I.P D.G.

Sportbike: 06 kawasaki 636
Years Riding: couple years
How you found us: friend

can u say "shocker collar"

What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?

Preserve me from the enemy who has something to gain, and from the friend who has something to lose.

There is one who remembers the way to your door: Life you may evade, but Death you shall not.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
pfft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldStyle
can u say "shocker collar"
is that a collar to hold the puppy down while I give it the shocker??
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 10:36 PM
Please attend carefully..

Sportbike: 2000 ZX6R (the green one!)
Years Riding: 2000
How you found us: I've been here a while...

What kind of dog is it?

Don't keep it in the master bedroom with nice furniture and carpeting. Keep it in a smallish room like Texas Blonde suggested. Maybe put some newspaper down on the floor. I used to use the bathroom off the kitchen by the side door.

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - JP2

"Life is just a place where we spend time between games" - former Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero

"everyone's a nutjob, some just have more restraint than others" - EndlessRR
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
pfft.

I said I've been keeping her in the master bathroom. It's tile floor and her little bed is in there. It's a huge room, too. THat's her place to stay when we're not home.
When she's bad I put her in the crate for 30 minutes or so.
I have been taking her out ONLY to do her business. I've been putting her on a leash so that she concentrates and isn't able to wander off afterwards. I want her to know that when she's out there, it's for a reason. I am just trying to be really habitual with her.
We are gone for 8 hours each day, and that's very hard on the puppy. She's very good about holding it in her little room. IT's the damn pissing from excitement that is out of control.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 05:44 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Get the book "How to house break your dog in 7 days" I used their technique when I got my dog. The only time the dog had an accident (by the door) was because I wasn't paying attention.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
pfft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC1957
Get the book "How to house break your dog in 7 days" I used their technique when I got my dog. The only time the dog had an accident (by the door) was because I wasn't paying attention.
Yeah that would require me to go out and spend both time and money on a dog that's not mine because my roommate fails to understand the follwing simple concepts: AA means NO drinking at all, and when you're depressed, take your F*cking medication.
I think having to spend $ would jsut send me to the nuthouse, too. This morning I told my other roommate to come home and deal with the little pisser b/c I had a test. It was a much calmer morning, IMO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode