Tire Pressure ? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Make my day!!!!!

Sportbike: Looking at a shiny Huffy!
Years Riding: 20+ yrs.
How you found us: member

Tire Pressure ?

Me and a friend have a difference of opinion on tire pressures for our cars. Every car has a sticker that states tire size and proper tire pressure for that specific vehicle. One car I have says to inflate the tires to 30 psi. On the side of the tire it says "max. pressure 44 psi". I keep my tires at 30 psi. The link is to the goodyear website. It also states proper inflation is what the manufacturer suggests and not what is on the tire. So here is my question for you. How many of you actually know about this sticker? What do you inflate your tires to? Who do you think is right, me or my friend?

goodyear

Living life! Because before you know it it is over!

Joe

FACEBOOK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 09:19 AM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Daytona 675
Years Riding: fucking up peoples lives since 1986
How you found us: SBN

I always go by what is on the tire. Back when I used to fill tires for a living, the rule of thumb was 35psi unless otherwise requested.

If I was hitting some twisties in a Ferarri, I would inflate to the car manufacturers specs.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 09:19 AM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: 2001 ZX9R
Years Riding: 4th season
How you found us: Ken is my gay lover

Send a message via AIM to cherrypicker
You should inlfate them typically to what the manufacturer recommends. The engineers selacted that pressrue to match the suspension components/set-up and strike a compromise between ride, handling and economy. The tire pressure is often dependent on vehicle weight. So a 2500lb car with the same tire width as a 3500lb car will have often a lower pressure recomendation.

That being said, I sometimes increase my pressure 1-2 psi on long freeway trips ot improve mileage and reduce wear. I will also increasde my rear tire pressure 1 psi to better balance the handling of the car. Most cars on the road are set-up to understeer to be more user friendly for the common unskilled driver.... so they are less likely to lose control.

Most of all inflating them too high really makes the car ride rough on most roads. and on rough roads, you will actually get lower mileage and increase tire wear because the tire will have a greater tendency to lose contact with the pavement.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 09:31 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Me personally I go by the Tire pressure per say. I don't inflate the tire to Max, But I go by the tire manufacture do to they specialize in the tires NOT the car manufacture. There are alot of factors that go into tires, Materials used, the type of car they are made for etc.

I AGREE with your friend

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Fast enough!!

Sportbike: 1200cc of screaming “Bitch!”
Years Riding: On and off for years.
How you found us: Internet, Yahoo

Send a message via AIM to Naked Bandit Send a message via Yahoo to Naked Bandit
I think this sounds like the Ford Explorer, situation here. For style Ford, put big tires to meet the demand of the public. One thing though, once properly inflated to Firestone's, specification. The Explorers, had a high roll over risk so in order to keep the big tires on the SUV's. Ford, made up stickers that indicated the tire inflation to 22lbs and not to Firestone's recommended pressure of 35lbs.

We all know what happen then I'd go by whats on the tire.

-_0
_ `\<,_
(+)/ (+) ............................................

Facebook Motobecane USA CAMBr

Last edited by Naked Bandit; 02-05-2005 at 09:45 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 10:22 AM

Sportbike: 05 DRZ-SM, 80 GS1100E, 99 KTM 125SX, 03 KTM 200MXC
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: ?

Send a message via AIM to Ryan Send a message via Yahoo to Ryan
I usually fill tires on customer's cars to 32-35 psi, heavier vehicles like full size trucks and SUVs I fill to 40 (if they have 44 psi max tires). In my opinion car manufacturers recommend lower tire pressure that they should really be run at so the cars will have a more plush ride that most people like. I personally don't like the mushy feeling that comes with having the tires inflated to the specs most car manufaturers recommend. On my beater 89 Celica I keep them at 32 psi, my Tundra 35 psi (the tires are 35 psi max otherwise I'd keep them at 40).

-Ryan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode