Drink up ladies... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Ron
Workin' up to the track

Sportbike: In between bikes right now
Years Riding: 15
How you found us: don't remember

Drink up ladies...

Can You Sharpen Your Mind With Moderate Alcohol Consumption?

According to a recent study, drinking a moderate amount of alcohol each day may reduce the risk of dementia in women.

Researchers followed over 4,400 women, for an average of 4.2 years with annual Modified Mini-Mental State Examinations (MMSE) -- a measure of cognitive function -- and other tests to detect mild cognitive impairment and possible dementia. Findings indicated women who drank one or more alcoholic drinks a day tended to perform better on tests of cognitive function (focusing on memory, language, concentration and abstract learning) than women who reported drinking less.

Even when adjusting for factors such as education level and family income, researchers still found moderate alcohol intake was linked to better cognitive function and a decreased risk of dementia.

Suggested Reasons Why Alcohol Affects Cognitive Function

May reduce the development of blood clots in the brain and increase blood flow, improving cognition

Tends to increase levels of high-density lipoprotein, or "good" cholesterol, which may reduce the risk for narrowed vessels in the brain

May decrease the formation of plaque associated with Alzheimer's

However, despite discoveries researchers warn the results of the study should be interpreted with caution: By no means do they encourage people who don't drink to start, nor do they advise those who drink less to increase their intake.

American Journal of Epidemiology February 1, 2005;161(3):228-38

Science Daily January 26, 2005

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.

We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies, I think the soul of America dies with it.

- Edward R. Murrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 01:04 PM
Midlandite

Sportbike: demonic weedwacker
Years Riding: 10,000 miles
How you found us: apex

Send a message via AIM to Texas Blonde Send a message via Yahoo to Texas Blonde
So does that mean that my all night drinking binge last night was good for me??!!

WHOOO HOOOOO!!!!

I wish they stated what kind of alcohal was the best. Though, I pretty much covered it all last night.

OH! And that means when guys try to get us drunk, its for our own benefit!! How sweet!

<---- Sky http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8.../FIREdevil.gif As of 5.25.05 my bike has 28,000 miles. (Goal of 40,000 by the end of the year.)

Well they call me the breeze, cause I keep blowin down the road

My Pics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode