Need help with sub box. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Everybody to the Limit

Sportbike: 05 GSXR1000
Years Riding: 39
How you found us: Surfing

Need help with sub box.

Need to beef up the bass in my bike hauling van. I built a box as big as I could get it and still fit it under the bench seat ( 8 x 16 1/2 x 24 1/2 internal dimensions). I put a pair of 10" MTX subs in the box but it sounds boomy and muddy. What direction should I go to get some tight bass out of this? Add packing to increase effective volume? Decrease the box volume? Go with only one 10" subwoofer? I'll be searching the net tonight but any help (or links) would be appreciated.

Also should point out that the amp is set up with the Low Pass Filter at 300 Hz and driving the speakers in stereo, not mono.

http://bikepics.com/members/12rpilot/
R.I.P. Motobeagle

Last edited by 12RPilot; 02-12-2005 at 06:15 PM. Reason: more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 06:34 PM
" It Time To Ride "

Sportbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Years Riding: 20+
How you found us: Long search for motorcycle clubs online

Send a message via MSN to Justmax
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12RPilot
Need to beef up the bass in my bike hauling van. I built a box as big as I could get it and still fit it under the bench seat ( 8 x 16 1/2 x 24 1/2 internal dimensions). I put a pair of 10" MTX subs in the box but it sounds boomy and muddy. What direction should I go to get some tight bass out of this? Add packing to increase effective volume? Decrease the box volume? Go with only one 10" subwoofer? I'll be searching the net tonight but any help (or links) would be appreciated.

Also should point out that the amp is set up with the Low Pass Filter at 300 Hz and driving the speakers in stereo, not mono.
Did you use MDS board and there a formula on builting box for different size woofers. Also are you using a choke or eletronic crossover HZ rating. Is the box port which I recommend for 10in my opinion. 50-80 hz should be cut off.

US MARINE CORP
"Semper Fi''

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 06:44 PM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
the low pass cross over is set at 300, you need to set it at something more like 80.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Everybody to the Limit

I built the box out of 3/4 plywood. I didn't get any specs with these speakers. I can change the low pass filter to alot of values less than 300 so I'll give that a try tomorrow. Don't want to piss off the neighbors anymore tonight. I'm giving this website a try right now: http://www.diysubwoofers.org/

R.I.P. Motobeagle
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Death is coming....

Sportbike: 2001 F4i r/w
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: Search

Is it a sealed box, or ported? I like sealed boxes for tighter bass. If it's sealed you may have air coming through the cracks and you need to the seal the seams. Also you box may be to big, bigger is not always better. You should be able to find the air space specs online.

<----Reaper
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 09:02 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

Have you checked polarity of the wires? Changing to a low crossover point will help a ton too.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Everybody to the Limit

I have the polarity of the two drivers matched. I could do a better job of sealing the box but it doesn't have the weird sounds that air leaks usually make. I'm going to experiment with box volume and crossover frequencies next. I appreciate all the help, folks.

R.I.P. Motobeagle
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 09:23 PM
Death is coming....

Sportbike: 2001 F4i r/w
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: Search

If I did my calculation right right now you have somwhere around 1.85cu ft. of air space in your box. MTX recomends for one 10 sub that there is .75cu ft, so you want 1.50cu ft. Box is just a little bigger than recommended.

<----Reaper
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 11:32 PM

Sportbike: '07 Factory RSVR
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QulkDeAtH
If I did my calculation right right now you have somwhere around 1.85cu ft. of air space in your box. MTX recomends for one 10 sub that there is .75cu ft, so you want 1.50cu ft. Box is just a little bigger than recommended.

12rpilot,
Plywood is not good for building speaker enclosers. Particle board is ok but MDF (medium density fiberboard) is better. Use Liquid nails to seal the box then screw it together.
1st find out the required VAS (volumetric air space) and recommended application (sealed or ported) by the Manufacturer. Hopefully your box is sealed tight. Try filling your box with poly-fil tightly (available at any fabric store-it's the stuff pillows are filled with!) Then set the -x-over freq to 60 or 80 hz like was said above. If it doesn't sound any better, add a divider between both subs (so that each speaker has it's own chamber).
If QuickDeath's findings of MTX's specs are correct, your box is slightly overbuilt but it should still be ok (You'll get deeper bass but lose some power handling). He also says that each speaker requires .75cu ft EACH!....That usually means each speaker needs to be "in" it's own chamber..or else they'll cancel each others' waves resulting in muddy bass.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 02:23 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Ditto on what everyone is saying about the box being to big which usually results in a muddy/boomy bass.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 03:23 AM
Slum Overlord

Sportbike: 03 GSXR 1000, 02 RM250, 03 TTR125L
Years Riding: considerable time
How you found us: install job

I didn't take the time to calculate the enclosure volumes like calculated above. That said, if your bass is too boomy, or if the calculations are correct and you built your enclosures a little too big, DO NOT use the poly-fill. Poly-fill makes the speaker think that the enclosure is actually larger than it really is. You would be actually compounding the problem. Ditto on what was mentioned earlier, don't use plywood to build the enclosures, use MDF. Much heavier and denser. Much better for a sub enclosure.
Also, a sealed enclosure has a much tighter, clean sound than a ported enclosure. Generally speaking, the larger the air volume behind the speaker, the lower the speaker can go, but the bass output will be more sloppy. The reverse is true for smaller enclosures.

the uncarved stone
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QulkDeAtH
Unless you know the exact speaker he is using, the values you quote don't mean squat......RT10-04's need 1.82 cu.ft. EACH.... so having that speaker x 2 in his box = box too SMALL.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
first change your crossover, its much too high!!!

like others said, mdf would have been a better choice of materials. try caulking the seams internally.

Chris
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 05:45 PM
The Corn Contingency

Sportbike: 954
Years Riding: long enough to know better!
How you found us: Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by taziscool
Unless you know the exact speaker he is using, the values you quote don't mean squat......RT10-04's need 1.82 cu.ft. EACH.... so having that speaker x 2 in his box = box too SMALL.
This may be true, but, if the output is boomy it can be assumed that the enclosure is to large. Most MTX woofers play well in smaller enclosures. If the woofer model was posted, the recommended airspace could be found.

Plywood enclosures do seem to be boomier that particleboard or MDF. However, internal bracing of the box will help to reduce this tendency. Make sure that the box is sealed well. An airtight enclosure is critically for the subs to be efficient and to sound good.

Last, the crossover is set too high. Typically, subs are set between 50-80 hz. In some circumstances, they could be set higher to compensate for a lack of midbass, but this can produce a muddy, boomy sound.

It all goes back together the way it came apart...unless it came apart at redline!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 06:01 PM

Much good advice here, so I'll just try to add a little.

Some subs are designed for a ported enclosure, and some are designed to work best in a sealed enclosure. You have to find the manufacturers information specs on your exact woofers and build the boxes exactly to spec. I can't stress how important it is to have the right size enclosure and be ported correctly if it needs to be ported. Either way, sealed or ported you will get tight bass if you've built the box correctly and drive them with a good clean signal and proper power. Sealed is generally tighter, but ported will be great also if you do it to spec.

What kind of amplifier are you running and what kind of head unit or signal source? I've seen guys with amps that have "bass gain" that the owner will turn way up, then crank up the gain too high and both overdrive the amp and distort the signal worse by using the stupid bass gain.

Reduce crossover to 80-100hz
build boxes exactly to spec, including port tube diameter, depth ect. Making a perfect shape box with a port tube that isn't right will result in shit bass. It all needs to be to spec.
If you have a bass gain on the amp, set it to zero - set bass gain on the headunit to zero.

You could also have the drivers facing the wrong way. They called it "transfer function" when I was into this stuff, not sure if it's the right term, but it's basically positioning of the speakers in the car to get the best performance from the shape of the vehicle. Sometimes facing backwards away from you, pointed at the rear of the truck will improve performance drastically. You just have to play around a bit and adjust, listen, adjust listen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode