Rant about hospitols and health care providers. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

Rant about hospitols and health care providers.

ok i am kinda pissed, i know doctors are leaving the state cause of the insurance and lawsuit caps not being issued.

WHAT EVER!

i spent 9 hours in the ER today with my mom, waiting to get a CT and letting us know what was found.

9 fucken hours for a 1 hour event!

WTF?

why do they take so many people if they cant provide proper attention to there cliants.

its bullshit, and i made it fucken known.

god forbid if it was me in the same spot my mom was, i would have been the worse mother fucker there SCREAMING for my results and SREAMING to hurry the fuck up!

PALOS sucks ASS, ALOT of people know this.

this hospitol was Christ Hospitol in oak lawn.

its fucken nuts now adays, i was'nt the only person either, i even seen people leaving from there beds it was so long to do anything.

sorry and what not doesnt mean shit when it comes to the care of patients in there hands waiting for the attention they need.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 09:32 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

moved to proper location.

sorry to here about the care they gave you, hope everything is ok with mom!!!

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

she is fine, "NOW" passing a small kidney stone.

thanks

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 09:55 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Thing is Ken, theres people there that use the ER for stuff that really isnt an emergency anyways (like a scratch or sniffles). Were there alot of ambulances rolling in? THey do prioritize by severity. When I went to teh ER for my racing boo boo (didnt want to go, was basically forced to) I sat for 4 hrs in the ER before they even took me to a exam room and than sat there for another hr. Just as I was leaving with my parents, 2 ambulances rolled in with 4 people from a crash. Feel sorry for the others in the waitning room since those 4 went straight to the top of the list.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 12:38 AM
CLSB SoCal Chapter

Sportbike: 2004 Red Kawasaki ZZR 600
Years Riding: since 2004
How you found us: My hubby Shane aka "Nickyfan"

Cool

Rob's right Ken. Most people use the ER as an MD office. Unless you're either bleeding or dying most people have to wait. They take all those people because they don't have a choice, they can't turn people away, they're obligated to see them; whether or not the people that come choose to wait or not is another story entirely. It's not like they can put a sign outside the door and say that they're fulla and they can't take people anymore. It's not a hotel, some of the hospitals may look like one like Northwestern but it's still a hospital.

All the ERs in the chicagoland area have been full since Monday and most major medical facilities have been on bypass to the smaller community hospitals. It sux that you waited that long to get a CT scan result. Christ is a teaching hospital so they probably had 5 doctors lookin' at the result ie:the ER resident, his senior, the urologist, a renal fellow, the radiologist and then they had to call the attending to see what he wanted all of them to do with the result . Christ is the largest hospital in the chicagoland area and sometimes they've had to go on bed alert and ambulance bypass because there are no beds in the hospital. I've known surgery patients that have had to stay in the recovery room all night and people in the ER waiting to get a bed for as long as 36 hours from the time they walked into the ER.

I always tell people, don't go to the ER unless it's necessary, I usually call my doc and wait until they can see me the next day and even then I have to wait an hour after my appointment to be seen. But if you can't wait then ER is the unfortunate choice.

<--------Paulette
And the Wisdom to hide the bodies of those who refuse to
GET THE HELL OUT OF MY WAY!!
"Number '69' All the Way!"
"GO NICKY HAYDEN!!!"

Paulette's Facebook

Last edited by LadyDemona; 02-18-2005 at 12:42 AM.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 03:53 AM
i need a new bike, this one is trashed

Sportbike: Falkor
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: yahoo

this is an interesting topic.

I hardly ever go to the doctor. I remember waiting in the ER for my g/f's daughter once. It did take a while until they seperated us, and put us in the kids waiting room. That went a lot quicker.

Even, if we eliminated all the people who went to the ER for stupid stuff. Dont get me started on stupid people .
Would we still have a huge wait in line??

Eventhough, i never go to the doctor, it seems that my family has a hard time making appointments and it seems worse at the dentist.

Is the people vs doctor ratio getting worse. More people then doctors?

I have more of an issue with costs. Should we have one insurance plan instead of different insurance companies. Or should it be free medicine? But people can pay for medicine or have medicine insurance.
why does staying at a hospital cost so much more then a hotel room?

But im glad to know that this country is great, i can eat at mcdonalds and get it all sucked out of me on my next photo shoot.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 06:11 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
WOW, I thought shit like that only happened in Canada and England (ah the joys of socialized medicine). Ken glad your Mom is ok. The only time I have been to the ER in the US was coming out of the bush from deer hunting, in a freezing rain, slipped on a deadfall, broke my ankle and drove a buckthorn into the plam of my hand, both hurt like a bitch, and that 1/2 walk to the truck was a bitch, but walked into the ER, kind of freaked me out it was empty (GSH in BArrington), I was use to seeing jammed ER's in Canada.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 07:25 AM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

Glad your Mom is doing better Ken. Ive passed a few Kidney stones and it isnt a pleasant experience.
Keep in mind folks that many Doctors themselves tell people to go the the ER for things that seem trivial to us. Its not always people just going there for a hang nail.

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 07:54 AM

Sportbike: cbrf4i
Years Riding: toooo freekin many
How you found us: a freind

I am with you here!!

I seperated my shoulder last month in a snowmobile accident. I went to the ER to make sure nothing was broken and all that and it took F O R E V E R! ! !

But I under stand not a priority and all but I laid there damn near in tears from the pain for 2 hours after they said they would get me some pain meds.

But the worst was the orthopidic guy. I had to see this specailist after the ER visit a few times. I would have an appointment for lets say 1:00 I wouldn't get to an exam room till 2:00 or even 3:00. Then wait another hour fo rthe doctor to come in!!!! This is a guy you need an apointment for to even walk in the door!!! I'm sure every one here knows what would happen to them If they were late for an apointment at work! Why can these people not stick to a feekin schedule!

I'M NOT COCKY, I'M JUST FASTER THAN YOU.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 07:59 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

I hear ya Ken....but if I get started on this thread you guys are gonna run out server space.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 08:03 AM

Sportbike: none, sold
Years Riding: 4
How you found us: don't remember

I hear ya.. it's the same at most places man. The only good experience I've ever had at any doctors office was at Riverside in Bradley. I went in for an xray/bandage for a smashed finger. I gave my info to the receptionist and waited no more than 5-8 minutes for a doctor. Didn't even have to wait in a room full of sick people or screaming/crying kids. This was not ER, just regular service

Blue Island is closest to me, but I will never go there by choice. As long as I can drive the 50 minutes and not bleed out too much, I'd rather go to Riverside for service.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 08:11 AM

I don't care what anyone else says - the system IS broken.

I think everyone agrees that severe cases take priority - but the real problem is communication!!!!

The typical ER scenario is to checkin, they decide you're not immediately dying, then they park you in the waiting room for anywhere from 5 minutes to 5000 minutes and until someone comes and tries to find you (by calling for you by yelling above the TV), you have no idea what to expect. So you sit.

At a deli you get a number.
At a restaurant you get a beeper.
At the airport they at least have a flight monitor.

And that's just the experience BEFORE you get to see anyone.

How about they give you a break on cost based on how long you have to wait - if they are that busy they must be making tons of money anyway (operating at 100% capacity). If they don't want that, then pay some more docs to handle the load, if the facility is too small then turn people away or build more rooms - it's not that hard.

To continue to treat people like sh*t, especially when they are in pain or worried about dying, just isn't right!!!

And to top it all off, wait until you get your surprise in the mail a week later - then you'll know why they never have any "posted" prices, because if you knew how much you had to pay for 5 minutes of someones time, you'd probably skip the whole experience in favor of death.

Then you get a bill from the:

* hospital
* the er doctor
* the radiologist
* the dermatologist
* the waitress
* the janitor

All at competitive "rates"!!!!

And your choices are ???

The system sucks, and my experience is that it is the same no matter which e/r you go to. Some are better than others depending upon the time you get there, but they all suck.

2011 Suzuki GSXR750
2001 Suzuki GSXR600
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 08:33 AM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: 2001 ZX9R
Years Riding: 4th season
How you found us: Ken is my gay lover

Send a message via AIM to cherrypicker
Hate to say ti, but that happens. You mom was propably placed low on the triage list because her symptoms after the inital exam did not indicate she was dying.

IF the scan takes 1 hour, and you waited 9 hours... that means at least 6 people were ahead of you in line. If a patient has a more serious case, they simply jump in line ahead of you because they have a greater need. It sucks waiting... but if they bought a second CT machine (cost several million dollars) you health care costs would go up. The hospital has a fixed budget.

Sucks you had to wait so long, but unfortunately unless you dying or in risk of dying... the ER is a shitty place to be most days... your going ot wait a long tiem unless it's unusually slow.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 08:37 AM
well i got my knee down BUT, i need a new side panel

Sportbike: Several old, mint condition crusiers.....
Years Riding: 22
How you found us: Original member......

When in doubt about going to the ER for what ails you, make a appointment w/ your regular doc FIRST. I would suspect that the CT you waited for wasn't a rush like other things and you probably should've seen her reg. doc and it would've happened sooner. Glad she's OK though.

ER around here ain't too bad. Got right in and quickly had tests done/tranfered to another hospital when I had my eye injury. Went in for my collar bone break at 10pm and was out by ~1am....all the x-rays were done, but I had to pee in the cup before I could leave, and I just couldn't 'go'. Hell, even a simple cut in my lip(needed 5 stitches) only took about an hour.

Even the hospital in Hawaii was good.....wife had an asthma attack and was seen immediately, in and out in 45 minutes.

I imagine now, with all the FLU going around, places are packed. A little bit of preventative meds would go a LONG way in uncongesting most ER's. People need to take better care of THEMSELVES.....stop relying on doctors for the sniffles and such things that don't require medical SKILLS.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 08:45 AM

Reasons teh ER is so slow:
1) Paperwork. Thanks to lawsuits... a pile of paperwork must be filed to document literallr every tiem you take a shit. Ever stayed overnight... they actually ask you if you have a bowel movement recently.
2) limited staff. Med school is long and expensive, these are highyl trained professionals that make six fgures. Even the "blue collar" nurses make pretty good money because they too have 2-6 years of training.
3) Equipment - only FAA certification comes close to the amount of testing and paperwork required to design, test, approve and certify a simple machien like a IV pump, or a EKG monitor. What looks simple, costs 10 times more than youd expect because.
4) Lawsuits - money doesn't grow on trees. Every multi-million dollar lawsuit was paid for by YOU. Malpractice insurace in some fields costs six figures annually. thsoe costs are passed down to the patient.

Yes it's a broken system, but it's broken for different ways than you think. IT's over regulated and litigation is out of control. Drug marketing is also out of control... althouhg, increased demand, R&D costs and reasonable return on investments are makign drugs very expensive.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taziscool

I imagine now, with all the FLU going around, places are packed. A little bit of preventative meds would go a LONG way in uncongesting most ER's. People need to take better care of THEMSELVES.....stop relying on doctors for the sniffles and such things that don't require medical SKILLS.
Another rational person. Thank you!
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taziscool
When in doubt about going to the ER for what ails you, make a appointment w/ your regular doc FIRST. I would suspect that the CT you waited for wasn't a rush like other things and you probably should've seen her reg.
Anyone who has ever had a kidney stone would disagree with this.

Imagine you've NEVER had any history of kidney stones and then this happens to you:

Sudden onset of SEVERE back pain. You can hardly catch your breathe. You feel like you are going to faint. This continues for > 1 hour. You take a pee and you are peeing almost pure blood.

Would you go to the E/R or "schedule" an appointment ? Come on!

Then imagine going to the E/R and waiting 9 hours. Sucks.

2011 Suzuki GSXR750
2001 Suzuki GSXR600
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 09:20 AM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

Glad your mom's ok Ken.

I think we all have a crappy experience or two at an er. Mine was with my mother who had gotten in a "relatively" minor car wreck, she had a 3 inch gash on her head from the windshield, took 7 staples. The accident happened at about 10:30 pm. I finally hear about it and show up at the er around 12:00am. She's still waiting, in tears, because there is some fucking drunk guy standing over her nearly screaming "Yo brains is comin outta ya head!!!!"

I fuckin lost it. Had the guy on the ground by the throat, my mom is screaming for security. Found out the guy had been there for ten minutes before the first person complained, they were just letting the bastard walk around and harrass the shit outta people for an hour and a half.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

i read some replies and didn't read some others.
i know and understand what you guys are talking about cause i know it too.
the thing is they needs more doctors and need to be better attitudes with there clients.
we went to her doctor 1st, and like was said, she was bloated she was having BAD pain! she couldn't barley walk, she couldn't even sit, her breathing was off, don't get me wrong its only cause i said a few choice words she got in a bed quick, and started her on morphine"sp?" then some exams.
it wasn't till till 6 hours later she got to the CT scan, and YES the hospital was full, and was on by pass for emergency's since they were at full capacity.
then her chart was sitting on the board for 45 minutes and it was only cause of me telling them 5 times to get the doctor over here to read the results, i think i know more of what was going on with my mothers care then they did except the results.
shitty experience considering this Will cost around 10grand for all this.

its one thing if i was sitting there in pain its a TOTALY another story when its your mother!

call me a mama's boy what ever but i do NOT like my mother being in pain and neglected!

post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 10:32 AM

Sportbike: CURRENTLY LOOKING
Years Riding: since I was 8
How you found us: The NET is MINE

Sorry Ken that sucks. Healthcare in this country is getting worse and worse. I hope everything is well, and thank God your Mom is ok.

Logtar - John

My Blog - @Logtar - Google+
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Bitch Man Whore Slapper

Sportbike: GSXR 750
Years Riding: Not Long Enough
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via AIM to GSXR750
This is like a double egde sword for everyone.

I have experienced the ER and also see the perspective on the medical side.
(Wifey is a RN at Sherman Hospital)

Ken - sorry to hear about your mother and I hope she is doing fine

They have to take the emergency priority into account in the ER.
My wife has explained it to me, and they have to follow this rule not matter
what. It is just plain life and death. If someone comes in with chest pain and another guy with a gunshot wound to the shoulder. The guy with the chest pain will go in first. Even before a mother who is going in labor would have to wait.

Everything comes into play with the delay and the rise in insurance costs.
Every year - the shortage in medical staff gets worse. My wife will sometime need to monitor 5 to 25 patients, becuase of this shortage. This also includes Doctors as well.

Unless some huge changes happen.. this is going to get worse

Just my 2 cents .

"Was I really going that fast officer?"
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 11:52 AM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc_rr
Anyone who has ever had a kidney stone would disagree with this.

Imagine you've NEVER had any history of kidney stones and then this happens to you:

Sudden onset of SEVERE back pain. You can hardly catch your breathe. You feel like you are going to faint. This continues for > 1 hour. You take a pee and you are peeing almost pure blood.

Would you go to the E/R or "schedule" an appointment ? Come on!

Then imagine going to the E/R and waiting 9 hours. Sucks.
been there..every bit of it..you forgot the part about feeling like a knife is in your back being twisted...not fun

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 02:02 PM

Sportbike: 2007 Busa
Years Riding: 12 years
How you found us: web site

Send a message via AIM to Casper Send a message via Yahoo to Casper
first of all cost is not the issue and hospitals don't make money while you waite in the Er. There may be a lot of people in the Er or Hospital,but if 90% of the people have no insurance, medicaid, or an HMO then they are loosing money. To even unserstand what money is made, you need to get the facts straight. Money is made in the private sector not the hospitals. When working in the hospital you have to see 100 patients in medicaid to even make 100.00 dollars. Those people do work hard, nurses, dr's,and other misc staff. Its just like when you are working hard and people pesk you to go faster or to finish a project faster. You tell them it takes time, even though they think that you are doing nothing, so before anyone blasts the health field, look at it through both eyes, because it is very hard work trying to figure out who needs help, and for ct,x-ray, labs and many other things it does take many staff to review, in order to get the accurate result. I have to call hospitals for my pts results many times,and they don't get done any faster.
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

i know its hard work, thats why they need more people to give the proper care in a normal time lenth. "PERIOD"

post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 02:18 PM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys
i know its hard work, thats why they need more people to give the proper care in a normal time lenth. "PERIOD"
QUEEFER

What he said...Bitches!

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

p.s. i dont think i never said doctors and nurses are assholes "well some have a bad attitude BUT dont we all"

my rant is we need MORE people giving health care.

plain and simple was my rant.

post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 02:28 PM
Please dont shoot me

Sportbike: 1988 Hawk GT SOLD
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: search engine

Send a message via AIM to AndyRed98R/T Send a message via Yahoo to AndyRed98R/T
ohh man not to mention the expence. I got into a car accident over the summer and spent 4 hours wating to get x-rayed, MRI ect. it was 6000 dollars. for spending that little bit of time in the ER. i agree the system needs to be re done so doctors who try and make you better by trying something cant be sued if the person dies. they were trying there best i think that is enough for them to go threw. then to have to worry about being sued. that explains why they get paid so much. i know i couldnt take being worried about all that.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 02:29 PM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Glad your mom's OK.

Try dealing with it for the last seven years. All I have been doing is paying Medical bills, insurance crap and everything else.

Short story of my dealings;
Daughter hours old has open heart surgery. 300,000 plus total bill left with 40,000 to pay. Will family bill should only be 2500.00 out of pocket. NOT

Son born on Feb 2 of last year and son need surgery. Bills from Labor and Surgery. Out of pocket for the family debuc 2500.00 NOT

Wife has cancer surgery last year, 2500 family deduc. should have been met. NOT
Wife is seeing doc in March to be placed in Remission.

All I have been doing is paying for the last seven yrs.

Just when you think you have it bad, someone has it worst. Even worst then myself (family's self.)

The system just plain sucks, both insurance and medical coverage.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...

Last edited by JRSMAIL; 02-18-2005 at 04:27 PM.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
YO MAMA

man sorry to hear about that, prayers for everyone in your family.

post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 04:25 PM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseys
man sorry to hear about that, prayers for everyone in your family.

I say thank you, but you don't need to be sorry my family. We have never asked for people to feel sorry for us. Not many people know about it, but that all changed now.

It is how the cards are dealt in life and you play your cards dealt the best you can. That's all.

Just remember, when you think you have it bad, someone always has it worst.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...

Last edited by JRSMAIL; 02-18-2005 at 04:27 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode