Darwin award #2 - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Darwin award #2

Lowering the Boom

2005 Reader Submission

Pending Acceptance

I was working for the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) during the summer of 1987, on a bridge project in Des Plaines, Illinois. I was out in the field when there was a loud BOOM about a hundred feet away. I rushed over to find out what had happened, only to find a man crushed under the boom of his crane. I had to do some investigations for the IDOT project and here is what happened.
The crane was done with the pylon driving on his side of the bridge. In order for the crane to be moved to another project, the boom sections (about four feet square by twenty feet long) had to be removed. The boom sections are attached with four inch pins. The booms have to be stabilized before removing the pins.

The crane operator on this day set the boom down and told the laborer to start removing the pins. The laborer had a few choice words for the operator. Among them were "that would be suicide!" The operator returned a few choice words to the laborer, and got out of the cab of the crane. He grabbed a sledge hammer and walked over to the first pin and knocked it out. As he walked over to the second pin, the laborer continued to yell at him to stop. The operator ignored the laborer and proceeded to knock the second pin out. The boom was not balanced and stabilized, and caught the surprised operator across the shoulders. The boom had compressed the six foot tall operator to about 30 inches.

The entire time the co-workers and rescuers tried to free him from the boom, he had the most surprised look on his face. The operator was pronounced DOA at Lutheran General Hospital. Rescuers indicated that he died only after they removed him from the crane and placed him on the stretcher.

Submitted on 01/23/2005

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 08:45 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Ouch!

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 08:50 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Some people get in a rush to much now days or just dont think

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 09:38 PM

Not to much of a rush, but to comfortable with the daily routines. We always hear on the construction sites " I've been doing this for twenty years" Next thing you know we are getting a safety letter in our emails stating something happened on a construction site through out the country. Most of the time the worker was taking a short cut b/c he has done the task to many times to remember.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 07:53 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry
Not to much of a rush, but to comfortable with the daily routines. We always hear on the construction sites " I've been doing this for twenty years" Next thing you know we are getting a safety letter in our emails stating something happened on a construction site through out the country. Most of the time the worker was taking a short cut b/c he has done the task to many times to remember.

+1 that was exactly what this guy said at our job site "I've being doing this 20 years" after I told him that was not the way to handle a 7" grinder, then took 10 stiches to the lower thigh, I felt like kicking his dumb ass!

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 09:59 AM

Sportbike: 07 zx6r, 05 gsxr 1k, 06 Duc 749
Years Riding: 27 years
How you found us: ex member, just been gone for awhile...apex

lmao...that same type of shit happened to a co-worker when i did foundation underpinning.
we had to anchor these huge brackets to the footings in a foundation and attatch 3foot hydrolic ram to it which drives 3inch by 3 foot pipe into the ground which would, after so many pipes are drivin, would lift the building into place.
long story short, my co-worker didnt take the time to properly anchor the bracket to the wall. when he started driving the pipe,at an angle, the ram broke making the pipe fly out which took his hand right off.

SOME PEOPLE SHOULDNT BE ALLOWED TO REPRODUCE

I am what I am, and I do what I do!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 03:06 PM
Wheelie Rider

Sportbike: A couple
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: Internet search

Natural selection

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode