What's safer in head-on collision, F-150 or Mini Cooper? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
saq
Pavement Inspector

Sportbike: '02 YZF600R (sold)
Years Riding: since 2003
How you found us: dunno

What's safer in head-on collision, F-150 or Mini Cooper?

40mph head-on into an offset barrier:

An old article, but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.bridger.us/2002/12/16/Cra...operVsFordF150

I need your boots, your clothes, and your motorcycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 08:02 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Interesting!

BUT then again not really fair.....It was a FORD after all.

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 08:11 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
Nice, is that what the Explorer is based on?

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 08:18 AM
Cali's Twisty Tamer

Sportbike: '96 CBR F3
Years Riding: since 98
How you found us: met at Strat's

Damn

I'm not sure that's what Mercedes was going for when they introduced crumple zones to the world. But leave it to the engineers at Ford to interpret it that way.

The optimist believes that we live in the best of all possible worlds...
The pessimist fears this to be true.

<----Shane

Shane's Facebook
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 08:18 AM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

Let's see that again, only this time let's see what happens when a semi rolls over on top of them. Better yet, Let's put em' in a figure 8 and let them at each other.

Kinda reminds me of my Chevy Geo. I got rear ended by a hit and run driver on the Dan Ryan with my entire family in the car. The car was launched into the air by the Chevy Impala that hit us. All that happened to the car was $1800 in damage. There were no injuries. All that but when I took the car to the car wash, the top blower for the dryer would collapse the roof if they didn't pull it up as the Geo went through.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974

Last edited by SloRoll; 03-29-2005 at 08:24 AM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 08:22 AM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

I think the article starts out unfairly. You can't really say a head on accident between the two vehicles will result in the mini being safer. You have to take into account momentum. I think the Ford weighs at least twice as much as the Mini, so theoreticaly (sp?) it will transmit 2X the energy into the mini as the Mini would on the Ford. Hitting a stationary object only transmits the energy your vehicle carries into the crash, but in a head on accident energy is compounded by the momentum carried by both vehicles.

At 40 mph in a head on accident both these vehicles would be toast and so would the drivers.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 08:28 AM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

wow, i'm gonna think twice about gettin a Ford truck next time i shop
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 08:39 AM
Not too Slow Not too Fast

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Falco
Years Riding: Too many
How you found us: ApriliaForum.com

Send a message via Yahoo to RSVMillenian
Passenger cars and minivans have higher safety requirements then pick-up trucks. SUV standard is same as pick-up. That is why, people are saying that any minivan is safer then a SUV. same goes for cars as well. My sister rear ended an Expedition with a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix and totaled the SUV while her car had minor damages, she drove it to the shop!!!

Dejan
CCS very very Amateur #144
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVMillenian
My sister rear ended an Expedition with a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix and totaled the SUV while her car had minor damages, she drove it to the shop!!!
Whoa! That's pretty bad.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
saq
Pavement Inspector

Sportbike: '02 YZF600R (sold)
Years Riding: since 2003
How you found us: dunno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D
I think the article starts out unfairly. You can't really say a head on accident between the two vehicles will result in the mini being safer. You have to take into account momentum. I think the Ford weighs at least twice as much as the Mini, so theoreticaly (sp?) it will transmit 2X the energy into the mini as the Mini would on the Ford. Hitting a stationary object only transmits the energy your vehicle carries into the crash, but in a head on accident energy is compounded by the momentum carried by both vehicles.
True.

I need your boots, your clothes, and your motorcycle.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 10:53 AM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Quote:

At 40 mph in a head on accident both these vehicles would be toast and so would the drivers.
yet the numbers mentioned in the article show that there is a lot of deaths involved in the F150. Doubt they all are hittin a wall.

as for 40mph head on, not true either. My buddy got in a 50mph (both cars) head on and granted he didn't quite walk away, was far from being a toast.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 11:07 AM
Bop your way home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwa
yet the numbers mentioned in the article show that there is a lot of deaths involved in the F150. Doubt they all are hittin a wall.

as for 40mph head on, not true either. My buddy got in a 50mph (both cars) head on and granted he didn't quite walk away, was far from being a toast.
If both cars are equal in weight and it is a true head on and not just a glancing blow the rate of impact would be equal to 100 mph hitting a wall. I don't car how the car is built or what safety devise you use you will probably die. Even in fully caged race cars with restraints and helmet, etc. you hit a wall at 100 mph your brain will get a cranial pounding. Your friend is extremely lucky.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 11:11 AM
Bop your way home...

It's not that I don't think the Mini is safer, it probably is, generally speaking. I survived a 80 mph crash in a CRX, no seatbelt. Walked away, actually, walked to the ambulance.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 11:30 AM

Yup... the heavier teh car, the bigger the disadvantage when you hit a fixed object.

I argued once with my ex that my 3200lb Accord was safer in almost every type of accident than her 3600lb GMC Sonoma pickup. The Accord also handles better, stops better, has smaller dimensions and side air bags. I'd rather hit a tree in my Accrod than a Mid sized pickup or even a full size.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 11:47 AM
Slum Overlord

Sportbike: 03 GSXR 1000, 02 RM250, 03 TTR125L
Years Riding: considerable time
How you found us: install job

Quote:
Even in fully caged race cars with restraints and helmet, etc. you hit a wall at 100 mph your brain will get a cranial pounding.
That and one of the valves on your heart literally sheers off from the g-force generated by the seat belt stopping you so quickly. This affects middle age adults and older people more than those who are younger due to differences in the heart tissue strength and flexibility. Pretty wild though.

the uncarved stone
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 12:12 PM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoney
That and one of the valves on your heart literally sheers off from the g-force generated by the seat belt stopping you so quickly. This affects middle age adults and older people more than those who are younger due to differences in the heart tissue strength and flexibility. Pretty wild though.
I shouldn't have to worry about that since I'm sure my arteries are generously coated with a layer of cream filling from all the Twinkies and Ho Ho's I've eaten all of my life. I'm quite positive I'm "self-sealing" by now.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoll
I shouldn't have to worry about that since I'm sure my arteries are generously coated with a layer of cream filling from all the Twinkies and Ho Ho's I've eaten all of my life. I'm quite positive I'm "self-sealing" by now.
LOL, shades of Royalseal!

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 01:55 PM

so wouldn't a fiero be safe in an accident? It was rated 2nd best car in a wreck in the 80s

NOTE: i have no affiliations with fieros or people that own fieros.

Last edited by oldschoolninja; 03-29-2005 at 03:06 PM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 02:00 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Now they should test a truck that doesnt have those stupid reverse opening 3rd and 4th doors. Cab wont bend like that. Also framed vehicles respond differently in crashes than unibodied vehicles. That ford looked like the frame rail just skimmed the side of the barrier.

OK put the mini vs the F150 in a simulated side impact and see who wins? First the mini gets to tbone the F150, then the f150 gets to tbone the mini.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 03:19 PM
G2G

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFRob
Now they should test a truck that doesnt have those stupid reverse opening 3rd and 4th doors. Cab wont bend like that. Also framed vehicles respond differently in crashes than unibodied vehicles. That ford looked like the frame rail just skimmed the side of the barrier.

OK put the mini vs the F150 in a simulated side impact and see who wins? First the mini gets to tbone the F150, then the f150 gets to tbone the mini.

How often does a car get T-boned? Most accidents are from the front and back.

Once the mini proves that it is safer in a T-bone accident are you going to come up with an excuse to drop them on there roofs to try to say that the F-150 will be safer. Fact is these SUV's and pick ups nowadays are not as safe as people think. BTW I don't own a Mini.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2Go

Once the mini proves that it is safer in a T-bone accident are you going to come up with an excuse to drop them on there roofs to try to say that the F-150 will be safer. Fact is these SUV's and pick ups nowadays are not as safe as people think. BTW I don't own a Mini.

dont have a percentage. but if you watch cops, the guy running away, usually tbones someone at the intersection. This also happens with people running red lights.

And i bet the highest percentage are people who cut off motorcycles and have the bike tbone into the car.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 05:24 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2Go

Up here tbones are common.

I know SUV's arent that safe, thats just common sense. Then again you could be driving the safest vehicle in teh world and still end up killing yourself if you are a pathetic driver. If a moron is dumb enough to pull out infront of a LARGE VEHICLE, they deserve everything coming to them.

Weird that the more safety equipment goes into a vehicle, the less people are concerned with driving safely? Hey my car has side airbags, I can pull out in front of people and they should stop. Thats the mentality nowadays. No one thinks behind the wheel. Take all airbags out of cars and trucks and see how fast people start driving safer (then again they should never been required in the first place). My sonoma wasnt considered a "safe" truck because of crash tests. Well key thing is to NOT GET INTO AN ACCIDENT in the first place. Worst street crash was hitting a deer. Everything else was just a bump.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 06:33 PM
To Punish and Enslave

Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website

Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
Drop an apple from 100 feet and a watermelon from 100 feet, which will have more damage?

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode