Chicagoland Sportbike Forums banner

My impression of New Orleans....

671 views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  ill_ag 
#1 · (Edited)
Based on my humble opinion of course...

Bourbon Street: fun as hell, both during the day time and night time. It's like Rush and Division on steroids and crazier. It was insane to have the road shut down at night to cars since it was so crowded. Went to the a few bars down there:

Bars on Bourbon Street:
*The Rock:great R&B and Blues, Michelle Gray who was the "headliner" when I was there Friday night was amazing.

*The Old Opera House:Fun, great cover band Friday night as well.

*The Cat's Meow:Karaoke bar, super-fun, but there current selections of songs leave much to be desired. Yep, I couldn't resist singing Karaoke on Bourbon Street, btw I kicked ass, thank you very much :laughing .

Restaurants on Bourbon Street and off- of Bourbon Street:
*The Red Fish Grill:awesome seafood and great service. I had alligator sausage for the first time and it was yummy!

*Acme Oyster Company:These folks schuck oysters at warp speed. Table turn over is great since they always have a line out the door but you never had to wait more than 10 minutes although they did quote you a wait time of 30 minutes as a rule.

Now onto Frenchman Street...
This is where all the locals hang out away from the tourists and Bourbon Street. I must say I did prefer the music and the crowd here.

*The Blue Nile:Awesome jazz band, I wanted authentic jazz and I got it here.

*The Apple Barrel:the bartender Jim makes awesome Cosmopolitans and the blues and jazz cover band they had was great.

Tried to go to a jazz club/restaurant called Sweet Lorraine's on St. Claude but they were unfortunately in the process of remodeling but this didn't stop the owner, Paul, from serving us a drink and chit chatting with us for over an hour about the club and New Orleans.

La Peniche is a 24 hour restasurant on Dauphine and Tuoro. Great food and scrumptious desserts. Service is excellent, definitely a must visit if you're ever in town.

Had a great steak at the Ugly Dog Saloon by the warehouse district.

Of course I did the touristy things as well...

I went to Cafe Dumonde for coffee and beignets and it was very good....

Had Easter dinner at Emeril's on Tchoupitoulas, price was right, food was great and service was impecable!

Definitely recommend during the super city tour via gray line bus tours, well worth it.

Hit up the Flea Market on Decatur Street; wandered around part of the French Quarter looking for an Easter hat... :laughing

Saw 1 of the 2 Easter Parades goin' thru the French Quarter, good times :jester .

Weather was great except on Saturday afternoon when there was a constant misty rain for 5 hours, but the weather cleared up when it was time to go out for the night.

I had an awesome time, wish I could've stayed longer but now I have a very good excuse to go back again.;)

BTW, if you have kids...please don't bring 'em to Bourbon Street, there are a lot more places you can take them to in New Orleans.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, and you remembered everything? Either you did something wrong or I'm very impressed. :thumbsup ;)

#4 ·
I lived in New Orleans for a couple of years many years ago. This is a very unique place because of its age, history, culture, architecture, and cuisine. You can certainly have a great time visiting, eating, and drinking your way through New Orleans. Mardi Gras is one helluva party, and worth doing at least once in your life. However, if you go for Mardi Gras, you won't be able to see much of New Orleans as it is difficult to get around all of the parade routes.

Glad you had a great time, Lady Demona!

Keytickler

#5 ·
I lived in Thibodeaux, its about an hour south of NO. It really is a great area. I liked Bourbon St, but it was a little too touristy for me. Im glad you had a good time.

#7 ·
Been down there a couple of times. Nights on Bourbon are definitely something other than else.

*legs through window*

Alcohol does play a huge part in the Quarter, I'm afraid. This is the only place I've seen that actually has daiquiri bars, where they have a line of what look like big Slurpee machines in the wall. Very liberal public consumption laws, too.

*legs through window*

No cans or bottles, but plastic cups are OK. Try that up here. No happy-hour law, either, which leads to some really economical drink specials.

*legs through window*

Of course, that also means you've got to fight off the kids coming in from Texas and Alabama for the weekend to get schnookered. Probably not much worse than what you'd get on Rush Street, except for that "foreign tourist" effect (behaving worse because you're away from home).

*legs through window*

Unbelievable, though, that people bring their kids out there at night. It's a cool place, but it's not family friendly by any means. It smells funny, too.

*legs through window*

*legs through window*

*legs through window*

Did I mention the burlesque clubs yet?

#9 ·
Blade Runner said:
Wow, and you remembered everything? Either you did something wrong or I'm very impressed. :thumbsup ;)
Well to be honest, I'm a light weight so it doesn't take much but it doesn't help that I have a memory of an elephant, whether I'm intoxicated or not. Although I seem to remember Bourbon Street being straighter and less wavy during the day on Friday than it was that night:laughing

Ernie: You missed out on the Hurricanes at Pat O'Briens? So many bars, so little time
Oh god no! If I did that then my friend would've had to admit me to her abdominal transplant unit for a brand new liver. :jester

Morrand: Did I mention the burlesque clubs yet?
I noticed that right away on my first day there. I thought it was kinda cool for Chris Owens, the oldest stripper in New Orleans, to own her own strip joint on Bourbon St.! :)

Dr. D I spent a few days there a year ago. Pretty cool, except for the constant stench of sewage.
I guess being a nurse, it didn't bother me so much, except for when it was raining. Hate the smell of wet garbage...yeuch! :(

It was pretty interesting walking down a public street with open liquor in my hand, all be it in a plastic cup but it was me walking down the street with a drink and not getting arrested. It was pretty wild.

#10 ·
snoop dog wasn't there?

Did you see Girls Gone Wild?! lol

What a load they are. Wait, I didn't mean load as in load but.... oh nevermind.

Glad you had a good time!

#12 ·
Back before I started riding motorcycles, I would go to NE a few times a year. I would leave after work on Friday arrive in New Orleans between 9-11AM the next morning, go to my favorite French bakery, Madeline’s located at the northwest side of Jackson Square, get some coffee, quiche Lorraine and many cheese croissants to take home and eat throughout the day. I would go to the French Market to check stuff out, then just walk around French Quarter until it was time to drive back home later on that afternoon to arrive home by Sunday. I love New Orleans, love the food. I’ve been going there since 1992.

#13 ·
Morrand said:
*legs through window*
bwahaha!! I went there in college, belive it or not. That's what happens when you go to mardi gras in a group of about 30 guys and 3 girls. :laughing

That place was hilarious. The stripper was giving my friend's bf a lap dance and meanwhile she's talking to my friend and I about how hard it is to be a single mom, her bf is a cop....la dee dah..... it was like just hanging with the girls except, well, one was buck ass naked.

Oh, and they do a LOT of drugs in the women's bathroom at that place. I know because the female customers' bathroom is the same room as the stripper changing room.....*shudders*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.