Tracking your driving use - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes
 
Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
To Punish and Enslave
 
Jimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Rockridge
Posts: 3,952
Location: Rockridge
Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website
           
Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
Tracking your driving use

I found this and thought I share it with you. Currently, road repairs in most states are funded by gasoline taxes and road tolls. How would you feel about a gps-based system that tracks your use and charges you fees based on actual mileage?
Would this unfairly punish commuters and those who buy fuel-efficient vehicles?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in674120.shtml

"(CBS) College student Jayson Just commutes an odometer-spinning 2,000 miles a month. As CBS News Correspondent Sandra Hughes reports, his monthly gas bill once topped his car payment.

"I was paying about $500 a month," says Just.

So Just bought a fuel efficient hybrid and said goodbye to his gas-guzzling BMW.

And what kind of mileage does he get?

"The EPA estimate is 60 in the city, 51 on the highway," says Just.

And that saves him almost $300 a month in gas. It's great for Just but bad for the roads he's driving on, because he also pays a lot less in gasoline taxes which fund highway projects and road repairs. As more and more hybrids hit the road, cash-strapped states are warning of rough roads ahead.

Officials in car-clogged California are so worried they may be considering a replacement for the gas tax altogether, replacing it with something called "tax by the mile."

Seeing tax dollars dwindling, neighboring Oregon has already started road testing the idea.

"Drivers will get charged for how many miles they use the roads, and it's as simple as that," says engineer David Kim.

Kim and fellow researcher David Porter at Oregon State University equipped a test car with a global positioning device to keep track of its mileage. Eventually, every car would need one.

"So, if you drive 10 miles you will pay a certain fee which will be, let's say, one tenth of what someone pays if they drive 100 miles," says Kim.

The new tax would be charged each time you fill up. A computer inside the gas pump would communicate with your car's odometer to calculate how much you owe.

The system could also track how often you drive during rush hour and charge higher fees to discourage peak use. That's an idea that could break the bottleneck on California's freeways.

"We're getting a lot of interest from other states," says Jim Whitty of the Oregon Department of Transportation. "They're watching what we're doing.

"Transportation officials across the country are concerned about what's going to happen with the gas tax revenues."

Privacy advocates say it's more like big brother riding on your bumper, not to mention a disincentive to buy fuel-efficient cars.

"It's not fair for people like me who have to commute, and we don't have any choice but take the freeways," says Just. "We shouldn't have to be taxed."

But tax-by-mile advocates say it may be the only way to ensure that fuel efficiency doesn't prevent smooth sailing down the road."


So if you get a fuel-efficient vehicle you're still screwed!!! Big Brother just want's to tax us to death and track us.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!

Last edited by Jimbo; 04-02-2005 at 11:46 AM.
Jimbo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Registered User
 
2weelpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Spring Grove, IL
Posts: 18,082
Location: Spring Grove, IL
Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall
           
I think it sux as I put on about 40-45,000 miles a year

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
2weelpilot is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 12:17 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,495
 
It would be fair if they also classified vehciles by their weight and EPA passenger capacity. Thsi could be programmed inot the chip that communicates with the gas pump. Overall very simple technoilogy, not much more difficult ot implement than credit card scanner on the gas pump. So the more space you take up and the greater the weight (which increases road wear) the more you pay. You could have a multiplier system for various vehicle sizes and weights.

So for example a mid sized sedan would have a multiplier of 1. A compact car would have a multiplier of 0.75. A minivan or midsized truck maybe 1.25, and a full size SUV or van a multiplier of 1.5. Heavy Commercial vehicels - 3. and a semi and trialer would be 5 or more. Motorcycle would be perhaps a 0.25.

I like this better than gas tax. Thsi could laso be used on tollways as a more fair way of measurement. # of axles is total BS.

Then again fuel tax already takes most of this into account because heavier vehciles typicfally use more gas. California is just bitching because their tx base is shrinking. Ummm... why don;t they just increase teh tax. IF the income for the road repair budget is too small... then just increse the tax.

Last edited by cherrypicker; 04-02-2005 at 12:22 PM.
cherrypicker is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 02:10 PM
Cuddlie as a koala
 
YZFRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Where its free.
Posts: 7,517
Location: Where its free.
Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypicker
Then again fuel tax already takes most of this into account because heavier vehciles typicfally use more gas. California is just bitching because their tx base is shrinking. Ummm... why don;t they just increase teh tax. IF the income for the road repair budget is too small... then just increse the tax.

Or they could quit building roads that are just useless. WI is good for that. Bypass after bypass after bypass lately. Hell they built one (hwy 11) around Janesville to get the freaking 5 semi's a day from cutting through town on 11 when it ran through janesville.
YZFRob is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 02:43 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,877
 
Here's a better idea......maybe the states/feds shouldn't spend so much $$ on bullshit stuff and fix the roads w/ that money.....instead of another BS tax and a way to track you movements.

BTW, what about crossing state lines? How are they gonna split up that money? Just another reason to NOT do this......each state will be in court wanting their share of another states road use tax that they didn't get because the driver never filled up in that particular state. Example: I fill up in WI and can get through IL w/o filling up. First stop is in Indiana and THEY get the money from the tax at the pump. Illinois bitches that I used there roads w/o paying for it and sues Indiana?

Last edited by taziscool; 04-02-2005 at 02:45 PM.
taziscool is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk
 
RickC1957's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Barrington, Illinois
Posts: 12,731
Location: Barrington, Illinois
Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)
           
Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weelpilot
I think it sux as I put on about 40-45,000 miles a year

I love the idea, I put 11000 miles on the car last year Pay as you go But since your miles are work miles, I think you should get some kind of break. Some people like you and Tony basically drive to make a living and should get a discount.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
RickC1957 is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 04:05 PM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk
 
RickC1957's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Barrington, Illinois
Posts: 12,731
Location: Barrington, Illinois
Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)
           
Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by taziscool
Here's a better idea......maybe the states/feds shouldn't spend so much $$ on bullshit stuff and fix the roads w/ that money.....instead of another BS tax and a way to track you movements.

BTW, what about crossing state lines? How are they gonna split up that money? Just another reason to NOT do this......each state will be in court wanting their share of another states road use tax that they didn't get because the driver never filled up in that particular state. Example: I fill up in WI and can get through IL w/o filling up. First stop is in Indiana and THEY get the money from the tax at the pump. Illinois bitches that I used there roads w/o paying for it and sues Indiana?


Hmmm and that's a problem? Sueing each other is as Amercian as apple pie and baseball.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
RickC1957 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 04:07 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,495
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC1957
Some people like you and Tony basically drive to make a living and should get a discount.
Thwy do... it's called a tax deduction. Federal rate is $0.41 per mile... but a gas guzzler full size truck will cost more than that to operate if you factor in depreciation, incuarance and maintance.
cherrypicker is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 04:09 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,495
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by taziscool
Here's a better idea......maybe the states/feds shouldn't spend so much $$ on bullshit stuff and fix the roads w/ that money.....instead of another BS tax and a way to track you movements.

BTW, what about crossing state lines? How are they gonna split up that money? Just another reason to NOT do this......each state will be in court wanting their share of another states road use tax that they didn't get because the driver never filled up in that particular state. Example: I fill up in WI and can get through IL w/o filling up. First stop is in Indiana and THEY get the money from the tax at the pump. Illinois bitches that I used there roads w/o paying for it and sues Indiana?

How's that different than now? You pay road taxes every time you fuel up. So yes, if you drive across a state without refueling... you lose. But statistically it all averages out.

The while point of the article is that California is complaining because people are driving more fuel effecient cars and their revenue from gas taxes has been decreasing... and they are having trouble payign for road maintenance... yetthe freeways are still packed with cars.
cherrypicker is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk
 
RickC1957's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Barrington, Illinois
Posts: 12,731
Location: Barrington, Illinois
Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)
           
Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypicker
How's that different than now? You pay road taxes every time you fuel up. So yes, if you drive across a state without refueling... you lose. But statistically it all averages out.

The while point of the article is that California is complaining because people are driving more fuel effecient cars and their revenue from gas taxes has been decreasing... and they are having trouble payign for road maintenance... yetthe freeways are still packed with cars.
Can you say..............SIN TAXES Hmmmmm works for Canada, they LOVE SIN TAXES

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
RickC1957 is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
To Punish and Enslave
 
Jimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Rockridge
Posts: 3,952
Location: Rockridge
Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website
           
Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
I think the point is, the State is missing out on money from 50 MPG car. I would pay more in taxes when i fill up then a fuel-efficient vehicle. If a person wants a fuel-efficient vehicle to save money, why should he pay more in taxes when he fill up?

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!
Jimbo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome