Biker shows... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 95 GPz 1100/ 94 ZX-9R
Years Riding: a very lonnggg time
How you found us: google

Biker shows...

I watched some Biker Buildoff on Discovery today and I started wondering why is it all about choppers/custom cruisers? Where are the shows about sportbikes. I mean talk about innovation and technology. Now, I understand its a lot more interesting to talk to a lone builder with a vision than to listen to a group of engineers discuss how they decided it would be better to move the gearbox up and forward and rotate the shift linkage to the vertical. But I contend that real vision and artistry is shown in every sportbike made today. We all know that the level of technology available in any off the shelf sportbike today would make race teams of just a few years ago cry with envy. So how do we convey this excitement we have to a television audience? What show would you do? The show I would like to see would follow two roadrace teams for a season. One team would be high dollar factory effort, while the other team would be a bootstrap privateer. Both teams would be in the same series chasing the same title. I think it would work great for one season and it would give some great insight into the world of racing. So there's my idea whats yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 09:29 PM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by StenMK1
I watched some Biker Buildoff on Discovery today and I started wondering why is it all about choppers/custom cruisers? Where are the shows about sportbikes. I mean talk about innovation and technology. Now, I understand its a lot more interesting to talk to a lone builder with a vision than to listen to a group of engineers discuss how they decided it would be better to move the gearbox up and forward and rotate the shift linkage to the vertical. But I contend that real vision and artistry is shown in every sportbike made today. We all know that the level of technology available in any off the shelf sportbike today would make race teams of just a few years ago cry with envy. So how do we convey this excitement we have to a television audience? What show would you do? The show I would like to see would follow two roadrace teams for a season. One team would be high dollar factory effort, while the other team would be a bootstrap privateer. Both teams would be in the same series chasing the same title. I think it would work great for one season and it would give some great insight into the world of racing. So there's my idea whats yours?
they did it, and called it Faster on DVD, and two wheel tuesday. Probably not what you had in mind, and alot of people might not like Greg from Two wheel tuesday, but it's at least it's not all Chopper oriented.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Yamahaulin !!

Sportbike: 2003 R6 Liquid Silver
Years Riding: 4 yrs
How you found us: on line

I watched it too.. but in my eyes those guys are artist.
What they build.. doesnt compare.
My my sportbike fix.. I just watch two wheel tuesdays...

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary . . . that’s what gets you” Jeremy Clarkson
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Considering cruiser out sell sportbikes by a big margin, and theres really not much "custom" work you can do on a sportbike without making it completely useless or handle like crap compared to a stock one. How many custom sportbike builders are in the US? Bet counting them on one hand is more than enough. And for the coup de gras, how many sportbike riders will pay $40K+ for a sportbike that they could buy a better one for 1/4 the price much less be able to afford a $40K bike to start with.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 10:50 PM

...how about, Pimp My Sportbike
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Not really looking for custom sportbike show. I realize how the motorcycle market breaks down. That in itself says that there is a market for sport oriented bike show. If nothing else Speed Channel could just send cameras to manufacturer bike intros. Now I know that Two Wheel Tuesday has done that, but for every minute of that kind of footage we are subjected to product placement programming. I don't want to rag on Greg White's show. It is an effort to show a broader spectrum of motorcycling and I appreciate that. However, I do feel that it is a weak effort at best.
Now about the biker shows on Discovery, I definitely agree there is some high level skill and often atistry. Hank Young, Zero Engineering, Roland Sands, Russell Mitchell and some of the others are right up my street. The long stretched out bikes aren't for me, but I clearly give them credit for real and obvious talent. I am just in the market for a television show that reflects more of my interests. A show that shows a broader perspective with creativity and flair. If Two Wheel Tuesday does it for you that is fine, I just think we should expect better.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2005, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

But I wouldn't rule out a custom sportbike show... any little bit helps.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 12:28 AM

oooooo!!! how about this...a documentary about the conception, design, construction, testing, and completion of a moto-gp racebike? i know, grasping at straws, huh?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 06:03 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Actually I like the biker build off show. Some of the techniques they use are awesome, and, can be used in other applications.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Sportbikes are not something the masses can appreciate. Most people in the non biking community see them as a nuisance. Chopper shows on the other had have a broad appeal to the biker community and the non biker community, because every guy out there, especially the non biker mini van driving soccer dads, dreams of having one so he can be free from his chains of bondage.

Plus like osme have said they are rolling art, would a sportbiker put up with a tank that only yield 30 miles, no rear suspension, and a seat that starts on fire while your riding it. Nope. so the shows would not be profitable, andthat ladies and gentlman is what its all about in the television industry.

Now I did come up with a proposal for a show on spike, they have yet to bite on it. trust me you guys would have liked it.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony
Sportbikes are not something the masses can appreciate. Most people in the non biking community see them as a nuisance. Chopper shows on the other had have a broad appeal to the biker community and the non biker community, because every guy out there, especially the non biker mini van driving soccer dads, dreams of having one so he can be free from his chains of bondage.

Plus like osme have said they are rolling art, would a sportbiker put up with a tank that only yield 30 miles, no rear suspension, and a seat that starts on fire while your riding it. Nope. so the shows would not be profitable, andthat ladies and gentlman is what its all about in the television industry.

Now I did come up with a proposal for a show on spike, they have yet to bite on it. trust me you guys would have liked it.

I agree with you on most of your points, but what I am saying is there has to be room for the rest of us. If you look at whats on tv the entire motorcycling experience is custom American v-twins. Once again, I have nothing against Biker Buildoffor any other show, I just want to see a show that will look at some other aspect of the sport.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by StenMK1
I agree with you on most of your points, but what I am saying is there has to be room for the rest of us. If you look at whats on tv the entire motorcycling experience is custom American v-twins. Once again, I have nothing against Biker Buildoffor any other show, I just want to see a show that will look at some other aspect of the sport.

Yup I know, the problem is there is to many different segmants of the sportbike crowd. You have your stunters, your road racers, your drag racers, your squids wearing dew rags that match thier bikes And so on and so on. It would be tricky to make a show that encompasses all of those to get the whole sportbike crowd to watch, especially since all those different groups tend to think of the other as beneath them, no matter which one your in. Just look at motorcycle forums, they tend to be dominated by one group or the other. Other wise there would be one big one and everyone would go there.

the cruiser market doesnt have this problem at all. they all like to ride, they all like to hang out together and they are much more open to others coming in no matter what they like to do. Also its not that they hate sportbikers, well 90% of them anyway some are just assholes (all groups have those), its just that they see us as having those attitudes and they dont like that. so they can have a show that encmpasses the upper echelon of thier bikes and everyone will watch.

Watch american thunder on tuesday nights, you will see social events being covered, bikes being built, chopper manufactures visited and thier bikes test ridin, you will even see (believe it or not) safety tips.

Now look at a show like two wheel tuesday, its more like watching the news. Just a rehash of what happened here and in europe in racing for the week which here in america only about 1 percent of americans care about (Yawn). Then they might interview some racer guy who is just over the age of about 19 years old and cocky as hell. that does not appeal to the american market at all. In this country if your gonna be cocky you better have earned it by paying your dues and earning that respect, look at dale earnhart, he could be cocky and get away with it, young guys dont get thaty allowance here, unless they are doing something that 90% of americans look up to, road racing just doesnt fall into that area. So it s a turn off to the "everyman" among us. I used to Tivo it and fast forward through 80 percent of the show to see if they were actually working on something or modding something, the rest of the show put me to sleep. Now I've actually taken it off my record list since I usually end up asleep on the couch while watching it.

Not one of these producers has come up with the right mix of a show that will be really succesful and a cross over show. I have it in my head but I need an agent to pitch it, I'm not giving it away for free.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:20 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
I think a show about sportbike engineering would be boring to most people. The chopper shows all have the accessabilty aspect to them; people watch them and think "hey, I could do that!" Watching a bunch of white coat clad engineers with clipboards would be a yawn fest. Unless the chief engineer is continually threating to put his size 12s in the ass of his apprentices LOL

I love the chopper shows, I don't like most of the bikes but I like the shows. I'm happy to see the public embracing motorcycling at any level, maybe more people will be aware of us on the road.

<--------Sticky Nicky

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode