IRA's Mutual Funds etc - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

IRA's Mutual Funds etc

I have one of my SEP IRA's that been sucking wind for too long and I need to switch it to something thats making some $$

What funds are working for you guys and please provide links. I dont watch these too often so please dont recommend something thats going to need constant babysitting

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 10:12 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

pork bellys, gold and oj are still my picks....lol

i guess you got back on ok?

so i am going to sleep. g-night

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Grammaton Cleric

Sportbike: 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
Years Riding: Since 07-01-2001
How you found us: Google, I believe

Send a message via AIM to MrBusa Send a message via Yahoo to MrBusa
If you want a funny that matches the market, has a low expense ratio, and low tax ratio, get a Index fund or buy SPDRs. Boring, but does not need babysitting.

-- Matthew --

"I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in the Universe" - Jango Fett
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 08:49 AM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

Index fund. I suggest something from Vangard since John Bogel founded the 1st index fund. Also, a good read is Bogle's "Common Sense on Mutual Funds" in which he argues for the importance of Indexing.

In general, I've been hearing that since 1st Q, 2005 was a dog we can expect the rest of the year to suck as well. Given this, I've been told by 2 financial advisors to save my money and that there isn't much choice in the market just yet.

They also recommended indexing in the Willshire 5000 or Vangard total stock market fund because of the low costs (next to nuthing compared to managed mutual funds).

Good luck there.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 09:00 AM

morningstar.com has a large volume of useful information...these 3 i belong to aren't doing so bad currently...
ASCQX, CAAPX, TWUIX
...but i definitely suggest research first...so you don't blame me for ruining your retirement...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 09:09 AM

Sportbike: Moto Guzzi V-11 sport
Years Riding: since 1998
How you found us: .

check out schwab.com

they have research tools that allow you to filter on level of risk, load or no load, return history, etc.

It helps weed out all the fund you aren't interested, and gives a review almost to the detail of Morningstar

Bernie

Look, I can appreciate this. I was young too, I felt just like you. Hated authority, hated all my bosses, thought they were full of shit. Look, it's like they say, if you're not a rebel by the age of 20, you got no heart, but if you haven't turned establishment by 30, you've got no brains. Because there are no story-book romances, no fairy-tale endings. So before you run out and change the world, ask yourself, "What do you really want?"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

Ive checked out Morningstar and a ton of other resources as well. I know you guys arent going to be held responsible for ruining my retirement. But thanks for the disclaimer I was just looking for ideas on whats working for you right now.

From the looks of it not many of you are saving for retirement??

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 10:19 AM

You are right mike. Not many people do save.

May I suggest another book, "The Millionare Next Door" besides the mail order degree's the authors peddle and the examples of why more people don't become millionares because they don't own mineral rights or companies this book has some basic level common sense practices.

As far as the "next mutual fund" I again point you to Bogle who states that the general market index fund outperforms 82% of all mutual funds (including S&P 500) in any given year. This is due to the cost of managing and actively trading shares. Funds such as Fidelity Magellan and other large caps currently have the philosophy "if you can't beat the market, join it."

If you look at large managed funds holdings they closely resemble the whole market index. The only problem is that they have 2 - 3 times the cost of the unmanaged index fund and a high portfolio turnover which included the hidden costs of trading shares. In the end why pay the fees if the returns are the same.

Sure, you might find a higher earning fund (international) but you'll probably be paying 12b-1 fees for marketing and advertising. No dice 2 me.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 10:55 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Mike,

we could talk about this in private if you like. However, I agree with Mr. Busa, at least partially, on the participation in SPDR's (ticker SPY). You can buy it like a stock in your IRA. It's hard to say what else you should be in because I don't know where the rest of your $$$$ is at. John Works for Calamos which has a number of good funds. I work for Phoenix Investment Partners and two of our funds are very strong relative to their objectives and purpose, but not exactly the "next big thing" A portion of your $$$ could easily be invested in our Utilities income fund or Utilities corporate bond fund. You can buy them as a stock too. Tickers DNP and DUC respectably. These funds pay awsome dividends but admittedly have high NAV's. They would be great to start building a position in now and build as a higher percentage of your portfolio as you age.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover

Last edited by Meulen; 04-06-2005 at 11:02 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibeemer
As far as the "next mutual fund" I again point you to Bogle who states that the general market index fund outperforms 82% of all mutual funds (including S&P 500) in any given year. This is due to the cost of managing and actively trading shares.

WOAH!!!! anybody who thinks that'll happen in any given year time and time again is taking a HUGE risk!!!!!! I don't think that's something a guy like Mike should be involved in with very much of his portfolio.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 11:19 AM

Hey I'm only stating what's in the book and I say that in the text you quote. I even own more than this 1 fund. Don't bash, but use common sense when investing.

What Bogel says is that the market itself defines the "mean" return. He goes on to say that there are so many mutual funds out there that in any given year the market mean outperforms 82% of them after fees and taxes. This, he says, is based on analysis of fund returns since the 1960 and total market returns since 1927.

He goes on to say that indexing is a long term solution not something people should swap out every 6 months for. He's looking at a 15 year+ investment scope.

What he means by saying that the total market index outperforms 82% of funds in any given year is that over the long haul the index outperforms most funds. Sure if you have the time or inclination to monitor your investments then OK, try something a bit more radical but Large Caps with equal risks only have a 20% chance of doing better in the long run. The short run is another story.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibeemer
Hey I'm only stating what's in the book and I say that in the text you quote. I even own more than this 1 fund. Don't bash, but use common sense when investing.

What Bogel says is that the market itself defines the "mean" return. He goes on to say that there are so many mutual funds out there that in any given year the market mean outperforms 82% of them after fees and taxes. This, he says, is based on analysis of fund returns since the 1960 and total market returns since 1927.

He goes on to say that indexing is a long term solution not something people should swap out every 6 months for. He's looking at a 15 year+ investment scope.

What he means by saying that the total market index outperforms 82% of funds in any given year is that over the long haul the index outperforms most funds. Sure if you have the time or inclination to monitor your investments then OK, try something a bit more radical but Large Caps with equal risks only have a 20% chance of doing better in the long run. The short run is another story.

I'm not bashing. Only pointing out that without knowing the rest of Mike's diversification any advice we give here is incomplete. To add to that there are times to be in the total market and times not to be in the total market even with long-term objectives.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode