Army National Guard - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Head Stepper

Sportbike: TREKK
Years Riding: 9
How you found us: member referal

Send a message via AIM to Pirate Send a message via Yahoo to Pirate
Army National Guard

Yes, I am seriously considering enlisting. Does anyone have any experiance with this? Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? What to expect, is it a good idea? The level of unknown weighs pretty heavy on my right now, and it's making the decision harder. So, I come to you guys and hope someone can make it a little easier to decide. So... post up.

Thanks!

<-------- Jeff

Hey baby! You ever been on the back of an expensive sportbike??

Property of Evil Monkey Racing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 01:16 AM

I heard the sign on bonus was at $15,000 now since they don't have anyone that wants to sign up.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 02:01 AM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Just read the enlistment papers very, very carefully.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 05:29 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Jeff, I did the military thing to pay for my 1st degree, I thought how much trouble can the Canadian Army get into? It's the freaking Canadian Army for Lord's sake, long story short, I go stuck on a shitty peace keeping mission, with a dorkie blue helmet, that seemed to be a bullet magnet, and everynight for 6 months some crazed Turk or some even crazier Greek was shooting at my OP, and what was really a pisser, I couldn't shot back! Because the freaking Canadian government said "Hey, it's a peace keeping mission, why do you need ammo?" So really re-think this, you can find yourself in some shit hole, flying in a helo, that may crash, or even be shot down.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 06:40 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Jeff........Its great you want to join the military! I would NEVER steer anyone away from enlisting (for the right reasons).

BEFORE you sign the paperwork by all means get a gauranteed job. Something you want to do. Whether its computers, tanks or MP get what you want! Its fun to say i want to drive a tank! I want to work on tanks but i would just try to find something that is crossabale for a civilian career.

good luck and have FUN!!!

EVER consider the AIR National gaurd? Right here in O'Hare....

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 06:51 AM

Sportbike: Cannondale R1000
Years Riding: a little while
How you found us: Gixxer.Com

What job do you plan on doing in the military? I have been in the National Guard for the past 7 years including 15 months in Iraq, and may be able to provide some input.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 06:52 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Jeff, I was in the National Guard at one time. Its a good choice, but like Kelly said look into the Air National Guard. I don't think there is an Air Guard base at ORD, though, but I know there is one in Peoria.

If you want to get together sometime I can talk to you about the Guard, what you can expect to do, how the weekends go, what Basic and AIT are like, that sort of thing. There's another member of the board looking into the military and I'm going to be heading to the recruiters with him to make sure they don't screw him. I've enlisted with recruiters 3 times, so I know what they'll try to talk you into.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 07:03 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
I've been on the Reserve side, which is quite a bit different, for the last 11 years. The biggest difference between them, aside from reporting to the govenor, is the difference in units available. Reserve side is entirely combat support services. MP, Medical, Training. Guard has the combat MOSs and some support such as chemical. A lot of the MOS's are available in both, but if you don't join that type of unit, you may not be doing that MOS. My MOS is infantry, but I don't do those tasks too often There is an infantry unit out in the southern suburbs. And I suggest taking Chris up on his offer to have some backup while visiting a recruiter. You need to take a look at the units around here and decide which one suits YOU best. Recruiters do get pressured to persuade recruits into units that need people the most.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines

Last edited by Grover; 04-08-2005 at 07:05 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 07:13 AM

Sportbike: Cannondale R1000
Years Riding: a little while
How you found us: Gixxer.Com

If you do decide to join make sure you read your contract very carefully, I saw a newspaper article about a guy whose contract was supposed to be for 8 years. However it had a typo so it actully had him signed up until he was 60 years old. And he just lost the case in court.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Head Stepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANT1
What job do you plan on doing in the military? I have been in the National Guard for the past 7 years including 15 months in Iraq, and may be able to provide some input.
MP

<-------- Jeff

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 08:00 AM

Are you sure that's what you want to do?

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 08:16 AM
BEER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
Are you sure that's what you want to do?
+1
MP will have some civilian crossover possibilities, but it's a guaranteed ticket to every hot zone that crops up since active duty MP units are few, typically enough to handle active duty post security. Are there any MP units around here? Are they Guard or Reserve? MP units that are returning will probably be heading back in a year or so.

NESBA/CCS #142
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 08:33 AM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

Is all of this because Labdog said that military guys get lots of trim?

(Just kidding Jeff - in other news I'm glad I didn't draw the short straw when we were trying to decide which EMR member would infiltrate the armed forces!)

<---- Patrick

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 08:39 AM

Sportbike: BMW R1100s
Years Riding: 13
How you found us: Rider

National Guard from 91-97. M1 Tanker in WI and I also drilled in Chicago at the Special Forces unit near Soldier Field. All a great bunch of guys.

I joined as a 19K (tanker) because I grew up near Cantigny in the western burbs and loved to climb on tanks. I talked to a lot or recruiters before I found 1 who could give me what I want.

Don't let the contract doomsayers freak you out this isn't rocket science here. You pretty much show up and go through the motions. Get the talk out of the way before you sign on the line. Most contract stuff that gets messed up is all the Airborne, Air Assault, Ranger School business that recruiters promise but have a hard time delivering.

The guard payed for my college, I was proud to be a part of it, I got to live my dream, but boy was I glad to get out. It was something that I just had to do, for myself but I wasn't going to postpone college to be real army.

Good luck

Blah, Blah, Blah

Get your Portable ID!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 08:40 AM

Grover is right. That's why I asked if you're certain you want to be an MP. There are lots of other jobs out there that have civilian crossover potential, are more fun, and have less of a chance of being deployed for long periods.

I bleed GREEN
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 08:45 AM
G2G

Read the paperwork. The recruiters favorite line is don't worry you will be able to get that once you get in. BS! Make sure what ever they promise you you get in writing before you sign on the dotted line. I was in the Army, Airborne Infantry and also went to desert storm I do not regret signing up and doing my time I think it was the best "growing up" thing I have ever done. Taught me a thing or two about responsiblity. I joined the reserves after active duty and it was a cake walk. Not very orginized and not alot to do for my MOS, so I got out after my time was up. MY bro was a SP same as a MP but he was in the Airforce. He liked it alot. The Airforce would be the way to go it seems they get the best of every thing compared to the Army or Marines. Be prepared to go over seas to the desert at any moment cuz you will get called, to kid yourself. So if you are not ready to leave the states and leave you loved ones don't sign up. Don't sign anything until you are positive that is what you want. Do not let them force you into anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have the upper hand and get as much cash as you can up front. Signing bonus is the best way to go!!!!!

Please call me if you have ANY questions!!!!!!
(312)617-0698
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 10:43 AM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

MP is the job that everybody gets stuck with, I've never heard of a person that actually wanted it.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 12:51 PM
G2G

No infantry is were they put everyone. MP's are second Truthfully they can never get enough infantryman.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Head Stepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZe Inc
MP is the job that everybody gets stuck with, I've never heard of a person that actually wanted it.
Why wouldn't anyone want to be MP? That's the kind of things I need answers for here. If it's that bad, maybe I'll reconsider. But the reason I chose that was to have a better chance of getting on a force civillian when I'm done. More points awarded, the better. I have been in the top few a couple times, but was beaten out by people with service experiance.

<-------- Jeff

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 01:46 PM
BEER!

Every 'peacekeeping' mission requires lots of MPs. Every guard shack, tower requires them. If people get 'stuck' with MP it's because it is the job that has the most openings. Really, find what types of units are around there. Hell, you can just open the phone book and see. Illinois National Guard has to have a website, check it out. If there's not an opening in the field you want, just tell them you'll wait. They will either pull some strings to get you into that slot, or reschedule for it, depending on your ASVAB scores.

Army is pumping big bucks into Infantry (lots of new weapons, uniforms, etc.) because urban warfare requires them. In the wake of laser guided missles, Field Artillery is being drastically reduced. Hell, a Field Artillery guard unit got activated and the entire batalion went through MP reclassifcation (it's only about 4 weeks long). Infantry lets you play with the really cool weapons though. But the MPs have the Mark 19.

NESBA/CCS #142
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Why wouldn't anyone want to be MP? That's the kind of things I need answers for here. If it's that bad, maybe I'll reconsider. But the reason I chose that was to have a better chance of getting on a force civillian when I'm done. More points awarded, the better. I have been in the top few a couple times, but was beaten out by people with service experiance.
MPs can work crazy schedules, nights, weekends, 12 hr rotations, etc. Plus the fact that they are one of the most deployed MOSs in the Guard. Not that it's a completely bad thing, you make big loot while you're deployed with not much opportunity to spend it, it's even tax free.

Just go in with your eyes open, that's all.

I was Army Guard Infantry (Airborne) for 5.5 yrs., I am currently a computer tech in the Air Guard. It provides a lot of opportunities, but they usually don't come without a trade-off of some sort.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode