Don't know what to think anymore... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Don't know what to think anymore...

I just got back from my first day of riding this season, and I guess I just need an outlet for my thoughts.

So I broke out my VFR and hit the streets earlier today, giddy as a little school girl. A lot of drivers gave me weird looks on the road because I was laughing out loud as I rode around the area...

Anyway, rode around for a bit and just couldn't resist riding more, so I headed off to the bank to cash my income tax return check after a short stop home.

As I pull out of my neighborhood, I make a left and come towards an intersection... I don't know what came over me but when I saw the car pulling in front of me about 30 yards away I hit the front brake a little too hard and ended up going down.

It was my fault, I'll admit that. Funny because just before I left I was thinking, "there are those who've been down and there are those who'll go down." So, yeah...

I just don't know, I had my heart on selling the bike but then when I took it out today it just made me so happy. Then when it laid down I just... man, I felt like fucking crap. I still feel like shit, I mean I realize people make mistakes and all of that but... damn man I didn't think I would go down like that.

If you're just going to respond with "emoghey" I don't want to hear it, this is really just one of those times that I'm so mixed up inside that letting some of it out is the only way I can feel better. Not writing this to seek condolences, just maybe some advice from people who've been there before.

Sounds corny but I think I hit a crossroad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 06:30 PM

Sportbike: None for now
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: google

IMHO, you should never get rid of something that can make you laugh out loud in public
A few scratches won't change that at all. I've felt the same way at times but there'll always be another nice day where you can twist the throttle and grin again.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 06:37 PM

i learned how to ride on my own and the second day, without a permit or anything, iw as riding around my block, i came back and rode on the side walk so i can point out of my driveway so it will be easier to leave next time, i live on a hill. when i put my foot down to get the kick stand out (dont forget i live on a hill) by the time my foot reached the floor, i wasnt ready for the amount of weight it had. i was at a stop and the bike fell.

btw i had a vfr also. heavy bike man, i wouldnt worry about it. i only scratched the fairling lightly, lucky me.

those who will drop and those will drop. hey you got it out of the way. dont drop again. :-D
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 07:06 PM

Sportbike: 05 DRZ-SM, 80 GS1100E, 99 KTM 125SX, 03 KTM 200MXC
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: ?

Send a message via AIM to Ryan Send a message via Yahoo to Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoezx6r
IMHO, you should never get rid of something that can make you laugh out loud in public
A few scratches won't change that at all. I've felt the same way at times but there'll always be another nice day where you can twist the throttle and grin again.
Amen to that. I do the same thing when I'm having a really good day of riding I'll be laughing and shit to myself inside my helmet like a goof. You think you feel like shit after dropping your bike... I crashed a couple years ago pulling out of Hooter's parking lot right in front of the restaurant where I had just ate and was a regular so most of the waitresses knew me. By the time I got up off the street the whole staff was standing at the front windows staring at me like what the hell just happened. I proceeded to pick the bike up off its' right side and was in such a hurry to get the hell out of there I dropped it over on its' left side. All this on brand new plastics, now that's feeling like shit
. Don't give it up riding just because you crashed once .

-Ryan
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 07:08 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

well, ya got it out of the way, in a safest manner possible
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 07:27 PM

Sportbike: 04 R6
Years Riding: 7 years
How you found us: search

Send a message via AIM to R6AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoezx6r
I agree with that.

This is also a test on how motivated you are to ride. Some just hang up the jacket on their first fall, some just hop right back on as if nothing happened because they enjoy riding so much they wont let a spill stop them.

You just have to figure out which of the two you are.

We all undertake a modicum of risk everytime we thumb the starter-it's just inherent to the sport.
www.R6Rider.com
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Thing is I only got into riding because I needed a way to get to work and I totalled my car.

Was going to sell my bike, people actually coming by to look at it tomorrow, I emailed everyone about an hour ago and told them it was no longer for sale.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 09:16 PM

Sounds like a great day! A perfect day for a ride, a smile on your face, cashed that tax return check, wrecked a bike you wanted to get rid of (NOT one you wanted to keep), wrecked while going slow, you're not hurt, and no one else was involved. You had a great friggin' day! When I ever wreck mine, I hope I'm as lucky as you.

Now smile!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 12:23 AM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
Plastic can be replaced! If you were laughing because you felt so good, the I'm sure you found at least one reason other then just getting to work to keep the bike. Get back in the saddle bro... at least you weren't hurt.

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 02:39 AM

Gut, instinct, intuition, something told me, whatever - LISTEN TO IT

I'm pure loco in my mind when riding. I sing out loud, laugh, and basically just have a blast with what I've called my own "radio head". I have the talk shows, the commentaries and the music! lol

You had a good day. In my opinion follow your instinct. You already konw what you should do. What's confusing you is that emotional side. The heart is deciteful. I rarely listen. Instinct is instant. It kicks in and you should listen. I bet you feel to keep the bike cause it'll be a drag when it's gone. If you have no true reason to get rid of it and it's making you happy then keep it. If you aren't finding the joy on a constant with the bike get rid of it. Regardless, LISTEN TO YOUR INSTINCT.

As far as the fall - here's my motto:

Every wolf suffers fleas tis' easy enough to scratch!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 03:05 AM

This is only MY opinion(and it's always a tad bit harsh):

You TOTALLED a car and thought it was a good idea to get a vehicle w/ less protection ei; bike(something you've never done before)? Hmmmmmm.......you should've thought about that one a little harder.

Second, you dump it going 30 because you saw a car pulling out.......signs point to MORE training needed(and/or a lighter bike - that beastie you have isn't relly a beginner ride on pure weight alone)

I say, sell it, get another cage for transportation. If you feel the need in the future to ride again, get a smaller, lighter bike and give it another go around. Just don't make it your ONLY means of transportation.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 08:26 AM
Lovin this Twin

Sportbike: 05 SV1000S, Wide Glide, DR350
Years Riding: 1/2 hour then it rained
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooligan
I say it alot...." I wish I never would of started riding" not because Ive crashed or any other reason. Sometimes I truely think riding is like Jonesing for a drug of some sort.
You'll have great days, like you had before you fell, you'll have days that you cant get home fast enough to park it. To me the good days far out weigh the bad days......Do they for you?

This is gonna hurt!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taziscool
This is only MY opinion(and it's always a tad bit harsh):

You TOTALLED a car and thought it was a good idea to get a vehicle w/ less protection ei; bike(something you've never done before)? Hmmmmmm.......you should've thought about that one a little harder.

Second, you dump it going 30 because you saw a car pulling out.......signs point to MORE training needed(and/or a lighter bike - that beastie you have isn't relly a beginner ride on pure weight alone)

I say, sell it, get another cage for transportation. If you feel the need in the future to ride again, get a smaller, lighter bike and give it another go around. Just don't make it your ONLY means of transportation.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.
Not harsh man, I was expecting flames.

I totalled my SRT4 riding on the OEM tires in February last year, lost traction on a highway onramp and got obliterated by a semi.

Only reason I got a bike was because car insurance just wasn't an option, also after that point in my life I just started believing in fate a lot more. I believe my death in life is predetermined, my life is predetermined, I will do what I was destined to do.

Definitely going to MSF this year, and no I'm not an invincible squid who splits lanes with a t shirt and sandals. The guy pulled out into the street like a freakin' crackhead and I just overreacted, nervous twitches suck.

Got a cage for the long haul, and I appreciate your advice. Keep the shiny side up yourself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode