Leasing a vehicle - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Leasing a vehicle

What are the pro's & con's? Is it a good deal or not?

Are there mileage restrictions??

Thinking about this but totally in the dark on this alternative to buying...

INFO machines.........DO YOUR THANG!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 07:29 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

I don't see any pro's for getting a leased vehicle unless it's for a company... and even than i don't know. Everyone i know that got a leased vehicle ended up hating it. The mileage extra $, and payoff blow lol Plus can't really do much mods to a leased vehicle...

Insurance tends to be little bit more too...
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 08:57 PM
Registered Abuser

Sportbike: ATK605,CR250,VTX
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: S.C.M.O.D.S.

Typicaly there are mileage limitations, usually around 10k-12k per year. Considering I put on 30-35K, I've never looked into leasing.

Life has no instruction manual. Parts and labor can be impossible to find. Many go down the road with parts that are in need of service. A breakdown is eventual.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 09:12 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Depends. If you like getting a new car every couple years and don't drive a lot, it's not a bad idea. Downside is if you keep leasing vehicles every couple years you will always have a monthly payment. Typically lease monthly payments are less than a car loan. They seriously get you if you go over the mileage limit too. And if you like the vehicle and want to keep it, you typically don't get even half of what you've put into it. I know some people who have leased their cars for the last ten years, getting one every three or so years.

I probably won't lease a vehicle anytime soon because I put about 25,000 miles on my vehicle a year.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Cool

Leasing would be good if ya wanted an expensive car with a cheaper payment and don't go over the usual miles aloud(10-12,000). Also as stated if you like to have a new car every 3 years.

Just seen the commercial for a 5series BMW for something like $499 month. Hell if you bought it outright you would probably be looking at a $600+ payment dependng on how much put down.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 09:36 PM
bwa
Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHeYeNNe
Leasing would be good if ya wanted an expensive car with a cheaper payment and don't go over the usual miles aloud(10-12,000). Also as stated if you like to have a new car every 3 years.

Just seen the commercial for a 5series BMW for something like $499 month. Hell if you bought it outright you would probably be looking at a $600+ payment dependng on how much put down.
take a look at the required downpayemnt to get the lease at $499
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 09:56 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

leasing is right there with renting...pissing money away
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 12:33 AM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
I think unless your company is paying for it, leasing is too much like renting... the payments never go away and it's not yours, you need to give it back in about 3 years to lease again, although you get to drive a LOT more car then you really can afford.

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 03:17 AM

Let's put one myth behind us ok? You may THINK there are mileage limitations but that's FAR from the truth. You can get ANY mileage/yr with a leased vehicle.....here's the small catch, the payment goes up from what is advertised. So..........the the typical lease is say 36months/36k miles @ $300/month and you drive more than that. Tell them you want a 36mon/45k mile lease and the price goes to $350/month and so on. Hell, I leased one vehicle with a 17k/yr mileage clause.....because that's the miles I drove/ yr. It was still cheaper than buying it outright.

BTW, you can mod the car all you want.......just make sure you return it to stock when you turn it in(if that's what ya wanna do come the end of the lease) or be prepared to buyout the lease at the end and keep the car.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 05:12 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZe Inc
leasing is right there with renting...pissing money away

Not really, it's totally different from renting property. If your self employed it's a great thing If you don't drive over 12K a year. Leasing is attractive option, my wife has only owned one car, the rrest she has leased, and she's a total car s__t, and knows how to choke a penny.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taziscool
Let's put one myth behind us ok? You may THINK there are mileage limitations but that's FAR from the truth. You can get ANY mileage/yr with a leased vehicle.....here's the small catch, the payment goes up from what is advertised. So..........the the typical lease is say 36months/36k miles @ $300/month and you drive more than that. Tell them you want a 36mon/45k mile lease and the price goes to $350/month and so on. Hell, I leased one vehicle with a 17k/yr mileage clause.....because that's the miles I drove/ yr. It was still cheaper than buying it outright.

BTW, you can mod the car all you want.......just make sure you return it to stock when you turn it in(if that's what ya wanna do come the end of the lease) or be prepared to buyout the lease at the end and keep the car.

+1 Taz gets a gold star.

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 06:01 AM
bwa
Boom

ok, what's been said is that you get fucked for extra mileage money wise... and guess what Taz, what you're talkin about is exactly that.

I'm not even gonna touch the mod issue, cause that was just plain retarded.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 06:08 AM
FastVinyl.com

Sportbike: 83 Suzuki GS850
Years Riding: 4
How you found us: BWA

Send a message via AIM to XLR8R
true'

---John---
If my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCALATOR = EVERLASTING FUN!!

FastVinyl Forum on CLSB Click Me
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwa
ok, what's been said is that you get fucked for extra mileage money wise... and guess what Taz, what you're talkin about is exactly that.

I've got better thinks to do with my time and money than mod a perfectly good car To me a car, I change the oid.......and I change the oil, wait......I don't even do that Jaguar maintenance program does that Hell I don't even wash the fucker, Fast Eddies does that I just sit there scope out the MILF's and their pretty cars. A car is a point A to point B mod of transportation, I ain't spending time nor energy doing mods to a freaking car.

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 07:56 AM
Lovin this Twin

Sportbike: 05 SV1000S, Wide Glide, DR350
Years Riding: 1/2 hour then it rained
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooligan
If you have money to piss away do a lease..... the 3500 plus tax lic and all the other BS they throw in... goes right down the toilet.....then you RENT it for 2-3 years...... then they really try to sell it to you after the lease is up .
Mileage and the down payment is where they stick it to ya.

Kelly tell us what your considering leasing so we can help look up the deals.

This is gonna hurt!
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 09:00 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganZX6
If you have money to piss away do a lease..... the 3500 plus tax lic and all the other BS they throw in... goes right down the toilet.....then you RENT it for 2-3 years...... then they really try to sell it to you after the lease is up .
Mileage and the down payment is where they stick it to ya.

Kelly tell us what your considering leasing so we can help look up the deals.
Isn't most of that 'downpayment' really a security deposit and fees for title/registration? Don't you get most of that back?

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I've leased more cars than I can count. Its great i you want a new car every four years. there no point in buying one if your gonna replece it in 4 years, If you keep cars longer than that, buy it. with a lease you can walk out of the dealer without a dime coming out of your pocket, spend less per month for the 4 year term than traditional financing and not have to worry about the hassle of selling it at the end, to get your money out of it that your never gonna see anyway since its just gonna dump into a nother car.

Now do I reccomend leasing, yes and no, first of all you are STUCK with that vehicle for 4 years, there is no getting rid of it since you are way upside down till the last day of the lease. but as long as you have the proper milage in your lease that you need and the warrenty is good for 4 years and that milage, your good to go.

Right now I am leasing my infiniti, and what sucks is I cat sell it and get rid of it, and since I drive my company car now my car just sits in the garage collecting dust and costing me money and theres nothing I can do about it.

so if your life style is gonna be the same for the next four years and you only want he car for that long leasing will save you money. personally I am going to start buying mine since I dont use my cars that much right now.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 04:31 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

I have done it. I leased when I went to grad school-- I did a pay up front lease for two years, because I knew I would only need the car for that long. It's a great alternative to buying since cars do not hold their value at all. I think that leasing is particularly attractive to those who want (1) a little more car than they can typically afford and (2) like to drive the latest newest car and then get rid of it after the fun has worn off.

As for mileage restrictions and all that-- you can have anything you want built into your contract. I mean, withint reason.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

I am not really looking at leasing any particular vehicle.......i was just thinking would it be cheaper to lease than buy is all. Do you take care of the maintenance or is all that on them?

Just looking at the value is all.

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwa

Actually you pay LESS up front when you figure the mileage in than if you were to go over at the end...this is per mile and don't try to tell me different, I've been THROUGH IT.

As far as the mods....my family has leased cars longer than most of you have been driving.....and made plenty of mods to those vehicles(mostly trucks)...and guess what, we actually got more back than the residual at the end of the lease than what was there at the beginning. It can and has been done.
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Let the good times roll

Sportbike: 2005 HD Road King
Years Riding: 30+ years
How you found us: From another web forum

This is an interesting subject and simply depends on what works best for you. I've leased close to 10 cars over the years and they have all been positive experiences. You have to be in tune with how many miles you drive...but you can contract for as many as you want...10K, 12K, 15K, ...etc...etc. A car is a depreciating asset...plain and simple. I dont care to invest major coin in a depreciating asset (aka automobile).

If you look to buy it you have to come up with a down payment and a pay the balance of the cost of the car over some amount of time...or pay cash. the other thing to consider is what is the value of having the down payment or the cash value of a car in the bank to invest or have for emergency? Once paid for there is up keep and $$ to maintain it...nothing is for free. To me a lease allows me to drive the automobile of my choice for 24,36,42 months (no longer than that) at a time. I always have a car expense...but I always have a car under a warrenty...and the downpayment I would have used to buy a vehicle in the bank or in an other investment(s).

On the flip side...the cheap money out there is very enticing for financing. 0% for 60 is a pretty good deal. Still have payment and a depreciated asset at the end...which more than likely is never worth what you think it is. As for me...leasing works...good luck.

Shiny side up, rubber side down.

Last edited by Hotwheels; 04-10-2005 at 09:06 PM.
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 09:41 PM
pfft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labdog
I am not really looking at leasing any particular vehicle.......i was just thinking would it be cheaper to lease than buy is all. Do you take care of the maintenance or is all that on them?

Just looking at the value is all.
you take care of routine maintenance-- oil, filters, wipers, tires.... but since the life of the lease is typically under warranty, you don't have to worry about much. you won't even drive it enough to replace the tires. hell, my exploder needed so much engine work they ended up giving me a new one 8 months into the 2 year lease.

calculate your avg. weekly mileage and then see how it compares to yearly mileage allowances on leases. then also consider and additional long distance traveling you do. i dirve a LOT and I didn't get over my lease mileage-- and I drove 5 trips between houston and chicago, two from houston to new orleans, and numerous trips to dallas and san antonio.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 09:44 PM
To Punish and Enslave

Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website

Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
Do you have to prove you did the maintenance?

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 10:00 PM
pfft.

I never did
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 08:41 PM
This show is 'Rated NC17'

Sportbike: Honda's & Yamaha's
Years Riding: Late 80's
How you found us: CLSB found me!

Shop, shop, shop, shop shop.

And when you're done doing that, shop some more!

I sold cars for a few years while going to school and saw people getting screwed hardest on leasing. There were many different variables and hidden costs. Different dealers could increase or decrease value by playing with miles, accessories and "terms". Our dealers finance manager somehow added a sunroof and top of the line stereo to EVERY Intrepid (1994 model year. . . I'm soooo old! ) whether the vehicle had one or not! Learn about miles, rebates, programs, gap insurance etc.
The best way I've seen (and I use it today) to get the best price is to call and/or fax a pricing request to only the manager. [[Managers get paid on the monthly till. If one sales person is having a poor month or a few autos need to be "given away" the manager usually cares the least. His pay is based upon gross profit and on total number of units delivered that month, among other particulars.]] Give the manager a break down of the exact vehicle including any/all options down to color (this way you're comparing apples to apples) and ask for his best/lowest/rock bottom out the door price. If you want an extended warranty, special wheels, rust proofing or anything else, now is the time to shop it. Let him know what a loyal customer you will be . . . how all of your service will be preformed at his dealership only (because "it's right next to my home/office") and that you or your significant other or children or parent will be needing a new vehicle within the year! All this is best preformed at the end of the year but great results can be had at the end of a model year or even last week of a month.

Good luck!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. ~ Buddha
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Administrator

How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tWisTEd
The best way I've seen (and I use it today) to get the best price is to call and/or fax a pricing request to only the manager. [[Managers get paid on the monthly till. If one sales person is having a poor month or a few autos need to be "given away" the manager usually cares the least. His pay is based upon gross profit and on total number of units delivered that month, among other particulars.]] Give the manager a break down of the exact vehicle including any/all options down to color (this way you're comparing apples to apples) and ask for his best/lowest/rock bottom out the door price.
That is exactly how I buy my cars, I fax every dealer's manager in the area exactly what I want, down to every last detail. usually at least 3 call back, lowest bid has my business. then of course I tear down the price more form there.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 07:39 AM

Sportbike: CURRENTLY LOOKING
Years Riding: since I was 8
How you found us: The NET is MINE

Labdog,

I have leased and it is a great thing. Like Taz said you can get more mileage if you need it, I got 15k per year just in case and was under by the end of the lease. It was a great option and it did save me money. There is always the option of buying the car at the end (if you get in trouble with milage, or if the car was just an awesome car). Some dealers also offer other incentives like free oil changes which was a convenience. I say it is a good option, explore, get the best deal on the vehicle you want.

The only downside I ever saw was the milieage, I could never lease my primary vehicle because I just drive too much.

Logtar - John

My Blog - @Logtar - Google+
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 08:10 AM
Administrator

On another note, anyone know of any tricks for getting out of a lease, besides selling it or that swap-a-lease site.

- Ronald Reagan

post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 08:17 AM

Sportbike: CURRENTLY LOOKING
Years Riding: since I was 8
How you found us: The NET is MINE

Most dealers will buy out their own lease to get you into something else.

Logtar - John

My Blog - @Logtar - Google+
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 08:27 AM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony
On another note, anyone know of any tricks for getting out of a lease, besides selling it or that swap-a-lease site.
a lake, gas can, leave the keys on the seat and go to lunch in a crowded part of chicago? stop paying for it, the bank will come looking for it, just a few ideas...

seriously Logtar was right, SOME dealerships will buy out the end of the lease, but it's never a good deal, because all they do is take the extra cash onto the back end. the sole exception is a pull ahead program that might be offered by the captive lender.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode