Another Crash vid while passing - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Another Crash vid while passing

http://media2.big-boys.com/media/bikecrash55.wmv

passes a RX300 Lexus on a double yellow, definitly his fault.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 12:51 AM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
moron...

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 02:23 AM
Cali's Twisty Tamer

Sportbike: '96 CBR F3
Years Riding: since 98
How you found us: met at Strat's

Damn, that.....sucks; is about all I can say

The optimist believes that we live in the best of all possible worlds...
The pessimist fears this to be true.

<----Shane

Shane's Facebook
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 03:07 AM

Biker deserved that....poor lexus owner....
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 06:51 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

Damn....double yellow = bad idea

That SUV driver did not use his turn signal (that I can tell from the video), so if that happened in a legal passing section that would be a different issue.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 07:49 AM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach

That SUV driver did not use his turn signal (that I can tell from the video), so if that happened in a legal passing section that would be a different issue.
SUV didn't turn it just followed the road, the bike in front actually exited the road onto another. You can see the sign in the video. Real stupid riding, at least it made for a memorable vid.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 07:52 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D
SUV didn't turn it just followed the road, the bike in front actually exited the road onto another. You can see the sign in the video. Real stupid riding, at least it made for a memorable vid.
Holy shit you're right! DOH!

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 07:56 AM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:

looking at the video, it looked like the road curved and the front guy went straight, the lexus was just following the road. The only thing that the lexus is at fault is because they didn't know what was going on around them at all times, my opinion when you are driving you should always know what is around you, what is behind you, how close is it, what is in front of you, on either side of you and most importantly what exists on your blind spots.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 08:01 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
looking at the video, it looked like the road curved and the front guy went straight, the lexus was just following the road. The only thing that the lexus is at fault is because they didn't know what was going on around them at all times, my opinion when you are driving you should always know what is around you, what is behind you, how close is it, what is in front of you, on either side of you and most importantly what exists on your blind spots.
Um, you really think the Lexus driver was at fault on any level? He was driving along following the road and someone made an illegal pass and t-boned him.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 08:06 AM
The Victim Newbie

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky
Um, you really think the Lexus driver was at fault on any level? He was driving along following the road and someone made an illegal pass and t-boned him.
no, but 99% of all accidents can have the blame put on both people to some extent. If the person in the lexus would have been alert enough that somebody was doing something stupid on a motorcycle next to him (which he should have known there was two bikes behind him, and he saw the first one pass him) he would have the decency to hit the brakes and wait for the bike. It's like when somebody pulls out in front of you and you swerve (riding or driving) you were heads up enough to know that you had an escape path and got out of the way. Had you not swerved the accident wouldn't have been your fault (by insurance or law) but in reality, you would have been slightly at fault for not being alert enough to swerve. just a overly bland example, try not to look into it to much

<-- Chris

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 09:12 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

Crap, I watched it again and your right! There is clearly a sign marking a suggest 15mph speed on the approaching left turn. The biker simply screwed up big time on that one, pass or not. He was probably more concerned with following his buddy than following the road rules.

Quote:
no, but 99% of all accidents can have the blame put on both people to some extent.
That's quite a statistic, do you have a source for that? I find it hard to believe that if I'm driving down a road as that Lexus was doing that I would have ANY sort of blame on my end.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 09:22 AM
The Victim Newbie

Quote:
Crap, I watched it again and your right! There is clearly a sign marking a suggest 15mph speed on the approaching left turn. The biker simply screwed up big time on that one, pass or not. He was probably more concerned with following his buddy than following the road rules.

That's quite a statistic, do you have a source for that? I find it hard to believe that if I'm driving down a road as that Lexus was doing that I would have ANY sort of blame on my end.
years and years of speeding tickets resulted in alot of traffic school. I just happened to remember that from traffic school. I wouldn't blame the Lexus, it wasn't his/her fault but the Lexus wasn't as alert as they should have been driving a motor vehicle

<-- Chris

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 09:32 AM
Where's the ANY key?

Sportbike: 2003 R6 (Bone stock street bitch) / 2002 Honda F4i (wounded track bitch)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: CRR

Send a message via MSN to PeaceDuke Send a message via Yahoo to PeaceDuke
First of all -- ouch!
And yeah, it wasn't even the double yellow line. The SUV just followed the curved rode.

Dealer: 19.
Homer: Hit me!
Dealer: 20.
Dealer: 21.
Dealer: 22.
Homer: D'oh!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 10:01 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
When I first watched the vid it looked like the Lexus was in the wrong, he hit his brakes and turned into the bike... even if the bike passed on a double yellow which was also stupid, but the Lexus didn't use his signals.

I watched it a few more times and Sharach is totally right, the ROAD turns to the left, there's a sign that shows it. The front rider went straight and the filming bike was dumb enough to try to follow his buddy.

My end though: Pay Attention! That rider now has to pay for his bike and the damage to a Lexus SUV. OUCH!

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 10:29 AM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Quote:
it wasn't his/her fault but the Lexus wasn't as alert as they should have been driving a motor vehicle
Maybe, maybe not. There is no reason for the Lexus driver to believe that he was about to be passed while already doing around 50 mph and with a 90 degree turn coming up and on a double yellow. The second bike could easily have been positioned in a blind spot and very likely the driver was still reacting to the first bike having passed.

The good news is that the whole incident is on video.

There may have been actions the Lexus driver might have taken to avoid this, but what we know for sure is the situation should have never presented itself in the first place.

Dave
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

lets just put this to rest, the Lexus guy was on the Cell phone and saw the first bike pass and was like holy shit did you see that to the passanger looking over and made his turn and cut the other bike off without looking at the road. (He was probably changing the radio station at the same time, or watching his Nav computer on the dash)

We all know this is what really happened. But I'm sure there was at least a 75% chance it was a woman. ooooohh Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode