Question for those who ride Harleys AND Sportbikes.... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Question for those who ride Harleys AND Sportbikes....

This is kinda long so bear with me....

My pops has a roadking classic, a springer, an ultraclassic electraglide, and a Vrod (really not his, its my stepmoms.)

I have ridden all but the electraglide(he just got it).....

My question is, and this especially applies to the springer......What is the appeal?

I feel like the bike is generally sluggish in manuverability, and extremely under braked. The riding position may be more comfortable, but I am so tense riding them I cant enjoy the "comfort".

I feel "unsafe" due to the bikes charateristics. If you have riden a springer, and had to lay into that front brake like you do even in slow to moderate riding you have got to relate.

I am NOT I repeat AM NOT bashing Harleys, just wondering what the dual riders thoughts are on this.

On a side note, with all the recent talk on the board regarding riders not wearing gear, you shoulda seen the looks I got in sturgis last year riding around on a customized springer (lowered,chromed out,screamin eagle)
with my Suzuki Gsxr jacket and helmet.......PRICELESS!

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I've never ridin a springer, but from what I've heard, they handle very strange. but the same people who say that also say you do get used to it.

My electra glide doesnt handle or brake any different than my valkyrie or my shadow. in fact I tink it is a little better. eithet that or I'm just gettin gbetter at handling heavy bikes, but either way I'm comfortable on it and with its abilities. sure its not a sportbike, but you dont need sportbike capabilities for 99% of the normal street riding out there. my batery is about to die I'll comment more later.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 09:25 AM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

Riders of big bikes must plan ahead more than you are used to. Tailgating is a no-no since there is so much mass to get halted. It's just something you get used to I guess. I don't find I need the brakes as much when I'm riding the Fatboy as I did on the R1 I owned. I must be riding more like a sane man on the HD. Also, the back brake on the R1 was useless. That's not so on the HD.

The springer front ends are a bit stiffer than the hydrolic front ends. That is probably the greatest difference. The ones with the shock are a bit better. The geometry isn't that much different than any other front end though, unless you have a raked out neck, extended front end, raked trees, or a stretched frame. The brakes on the springer front end usually consist of a single hydrolic disk brake on the newer models. The antiques had a drum brake which as you can guess wasn't as effective. The brakes on the newer models are sufficiently effective if used properly. Let's just say you won't be doing too many stoppies.

Like a wise man once told me, the reason you got weird looks is because you looked weird. j/k

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
King Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoll

Like a wise man once told me, the reason you got weird looks is because you looked weird. j/k
Didnt say I got weird looks, actually they looked more like they wanted to roll me at the next stop................. I was 'd

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 09:35 AM

I test rode a Triumph Rocket III. It has the Daytona front brakes, so plenty of stopping power. I cannot vouch for the Harleys. Although a lot of the custom bikes and choppers I see being built, have NO front brakes

I do not see how a cruiser is more comfortable though. My back was being compacted onto itself due to my upright position, and I was in pain within 15 miles. I cannot tell you how many times I am asked when I am on my sportbike ..."is that comfortable?" "Does not your back kill you?"
actually, it ia a hella more comfy than a cruiser, and if necessary, I can lay down on my tank & take a nap @ 100mph's.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
I do not see how a cruiser is more comfortable though. My back was being compacted onto itself due to my upright position, and I was in pain within 15 miles.
That's true if the postion is too upright. That is why you should either adjust your handlebars properly or install bars correct for your body. You should be a bit forward on the bars to be comfy for long rides. The "Easy Rider" look with the laid back position is not very comfy over the long haul either unless you have a back rest.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 10:07 AM
Is this Russia?

Sportbike: Formerly a Bandit 1200S
Years Riding: Since '94
How you found us: your mom

Send a message via Yahoo to MadMax1996
I don't think I could ever own a HD. I rode my soon-to-be step dad's Sportster 1200 with some Screaming Eagle mods. It was pretty powerful (felt that way anyway) and it was deceiving on how fast I was really going. 50 indicated felt like 30mph - in other words pretty smooth once you get moving. But when it was time to grab the front brake, I think I might have been better off pulling a Fred Flintstone manuever with my feet! It was sooo weak.

I told him that he brakes needed to be bled or something - he told me that's how they are. Uhh..ok. After having a bike with nice brakes (and I know there are new bikes with much better brakes than my Bandit) I could never own something like that.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 10:09 AM

I rode an Electraglide Ultra Classic for about 40 miles once. Scared the hell out of me at first as I was used to bikes that weight a little more than half what this one weighed. Not to mention, dropping it would probably be not good for my health as the owner was fairly attached. After I got a couple of starts and stops down I gained confidence and started to enjoy myself. I really had a good time on that bike while I rode it - it was comfortable, had a radio, looked nice, and rode very smoothly when it was in motion. For the amount of weight, it seemed to be balanced very well in my opinion. Power was adequate but not enough to make the ride very exciting. My only complaint - at stop lights and pulling away, the amount of vibration was way too much for me to be comfortable with. Altogether, a fun bike to ride but not really for me.
I also rode an 883 sportster and didn't like it at all. It seemed extremely heavy with too much of the weight down low and very poor balance. Vibration seemed to be twice what it was with the bagger. It didn't really seem to pick up until 3000rpm and was done by 5000 - maybe gearing changes could make it a better driver for the suburbs/city.
Although my experience with Harley's has been minimal compared with my exposure to rockets and I prefer rockets, I can see where Harley riders are coming from - the bikes are fun to drive.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 10:24 AM
Human lawn dart

Sportbike: 03 ninja 6r 05 ttr-230 04 klx300r
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: I know all

Send a message via AIM to rdrash
Quote:
I do not see how a cruiser is more comfortable though. My back was being compacted onto itself due to my upright position, and I was in pain within 15 miles.
When I rented a sportster in Vegas my back was killing me after 50 miles or so. Imagine how I felt after 200. My feet and hands were numb from the vibration too.

When I give up sportbikes I'll get a standard, but I don't think I'll get a cruiser

I'm not short. I'm aerodynamically efficient.

Anti Helmet Laws Pro Darwinism
MotoGP 200 mph no roll cage
NESBA # 599
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 11:47 AM

Go for the best of both worlds, get a comfortable sport bike like a VFR!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 11:50 AM

You guys can't compare the Sportsters to the other Harleys. That's like comparing apples to oranges. They're both sweet, but taste completely different.

Depending on the model, some of the HD's come with dual front disk brakes. The stopping capability is greatly improved on those models.

If ya don't like the vibration, well, there's nothing to say. I dig it, hehehehe.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 12:08 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

Cruisers are more comfortable, but they definitely feel less safe because of body positioning for quick reactions and the brakes.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZe Inc
Cruisers are more comfortable, but they definitely feel less safe because of body positioning for quick reactions and the brakes.
FYI, the rear brake pedal on HD's, with the exception of Sporty's, are positioned to accomodate the more upright position. They are similar to what you find in a car on the touring models. It's pretty easy to get used to.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 01:21 PM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
It's really just a matter of what you're used to. Sportbikes are downright unstable and toy-like after spending time on a full dresser.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoll
You guys can't compare the Sportsters to the other Harleys. That's like comparing apples to oranges. They're both sweet, but taste completely different.

Depending on the model, some of the HD's come with dual front disk brakes. The stopping capability is greatly improved on those models.

If ya don't like the vibration, well, there's nothing to say. I dig it, hehehehe.

Ya I love how everyone charactorizes harleys becasue they rode someone sportster. The sportster are like a paint can shaker and the suspension wil have you pissing blood in 20 miles.

try out a dyna wideglide or a fatboy. totally different ride. or step up the tothe road king or electra glide like mine. with those come dual front discs. mine stops great. also there is a company making brembo upgrades for all the hogs now. so the braking issue can be fixed.

you also have to remember harleys arent designed to go from 150 to 30 to negotiate a hairpin. so they dont have 27 piston calipers

Its a totally different ride and mindset when your on one. if your the type of guy who one gets xcited by a motorcycle when its in full lean or up on one wheel, well then your not ready for a harley, but if you enjoy motorcycling just for the sake of being on two wheels and you like the social aspect of it and want to spend all day doing it, well then a cruiser is for you. A harley will never compete with todays sportbikes in any performance aspect, but a sportbike will never compete with the all day rideability or the feel and sound of a harley, so they both have thier distinct advantages, it just depends on what kind of rider you are.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
King Nothing

Thanks guys.

I fully understand the performance differences, I just wanted to see if anyone else had the "uneasy" feeling when riding them due to the differences regarding weight, braking etc.......just wanted to make sure I wasnt "crazy" with my impressions.

As far as getting used to it, I put about 700 miles on the springer when I was in sturgis that week, and we did the rushmore thing the last day....even after riding it for the week, I felt uneasy coming back down out of the mountains I just didnt "trust" that the bike would stay under me in the high speed downhill sweepers.......all I could think about was how much more I would be enjoying it on my bike..............................

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
I test rode a Triumph Rocket III. It has the Daytona front brakes, so plenty of stopping power. I cannot vouch for the Harleys. Although a lot of the custom bikes and choppers I see being built, have NO front brakes

I do not see how a cruiser is more comfortable though. My back was being compacted onto itself due to my upright position, and I was in pain within 15 miles. I cannot tell you how many times I am asked when I am on my sportbike ..."is that comfortable?" "Does not your back kill you?"
actually, it ia a hella more comfy than a cruiser, and if necessary, I can lay down on my tank & take a nap @ 100mph's.

Thanks Brian Now I won't be bashed for stating the obvious

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrash
When I rented a sportster in Vegas my back was killing me after 50 miles or so. Imagine how I felt after 200. My feet and hands were numb from the vibration too.

When I give up sportbikes I'll get a standard, but I don't think I'll get a cruiser

Same experience in Phoenix over X-mas, and the year before did the VRod, felt like someone drove a spike in my tailbone And there is no freaking way I, going to rent one of those big pig.....oppphs...hogs that look like they way 1200 lbs.......ok....ok....before everyone starts quoting wet weights......900lbs

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC1957
Same experience in Phoenix over X-mas, and the year before did the VRod, felt like someone drove a spike in my tailbone And there is no freaking way I, going to rent one of those big pig.....oppphs...hogs that look like they way 1200 lbs.......ok....ok....before everyone starts quoting wet weights......900lbs
You're not far off.

Bike = 675 lbs
luggage = 100 lbs
Me = 195 lbs
Old Lady = 125 lbs
Gas = 30 lbs

For a grand total of 1125 lbs.

Not to mention the extra chrome and fringe leather.

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mladinrep
On a side note, with all the recent talk on the board regarding riders not wearing gear, you shoulda seen the looks I got in sturgis last year riding around on a customized springer (lowered,chromed out,screamin eagle)
with my Suzuki Gsxr jacket and helmet.......PRICELESS!
I have a Buell Textile suit and a Buell Varsity jacket. I wear them all the time and people get fairly disgruntled to see me in them and riding the GoldWing, Gixxer, or Nighthawk. At gas stations some people ask me if I have a Buell but, when I tell them I don't have one and I no longer have my H-D Sportster they seem really disappointed. Then again, when I think about it, I'm disappointed that I don't have those bikes!

Bill Taborn, Jr.

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

You can get really comfortable set ups on cruisers but, you have to change the set up just like changing rearsets or handlebars on a sport bike.

I prefer to have a good front end, much like the Yamaha Warrior bikes or a Roland Sands style bike with the Ohlins front ends. Then again, on my 82' Gold Wing the forks have a lot of flex and I've still been on the e-way in excess of 80 MPH. It just takes some getting used to the feel.

Bill T., Jr.

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode