Problems with the PoPo (Exhaust) - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2010 BMW S1000RR
Years Riding: 8th season
How you found us: word of mouth

Send a message via MSN to KennySS750 Send a message via Yahoo to KennySS750
Problems with the PoPo (Exhaust)

I posted this on CRR few weeks back and it just occured to me that I should give you guys a heads up....

Posted on CRR April 6th, 2005"

on the ride last night we stopped at the Amoco on onterio to meet up with marik and dnepr..... we are standing around there for 2 minutes..(I went in to buy some water) a cop car pulls up and starts writing tickets....

I got a ticket for illegal exhaust!!! how did he know they were illegal...he had a list of brands that are illegal. notice I did not say models... just brands... and who is on that list.... from what I remember, yoshimura, micron, D&D, two brothers, Muzzy, Vance&Hines, Cobra and several others... I was seeing red while I was reading so the memory is a bit foggy....

anyway... I tried reasoning with the cop and just asking him to let it slide... and he said "if you all have valid licences and insurance that I will let it go..." so we all showed him our shit... (he was sure he was going to bust us) then he still gave us the tickets.. when I called him on it he said that he was not writing a ticket for loitering... WTF?!?!?!?

Illegal exhausts are a $100 fine.... and if you go to any of the chicago municipal web sites, they have appeal process but state that that they do not apply to this law...

I dug into the wording of the law and chicago does not actually state how loud the exhaust must be but instead refrences a Federal law.. The Law gives the DB limit... but does nto name any brands... so it would stand to reason that without a DB tester.. it is illegal to write the ticket...

He wrote the ticket with out me even turning on my bike... then treatend to write me a ticket for having the LEDs on to which I told him that they are show lights and only illegal if the bike is in motion... to which he threatened to me with an vehicle left unattended citation becasue I was standing 3 feet from the bike instead of on it with the engine running....

another funny thing... the clerks at the gas station didn't call the cops nor had an problem with us being there especially considering I was a paying customer.....

So what the f**k can I do... I can miss a day of (or half day of work) go to court odds or they will continue it and I will have to come back (previous experience with illegal windo tints) or I go in with a lawyer..who will charge me abotu the same as the cost of the fine and will not guarentee you a win....

after several hours actually reading the laws..I can not find any info on how they are required to test exhaust noise .. is a list of manufacturers enough.... is that legal... It seems like it has to be a list of bikes and corrosponding models....

Essentially what I gathered from my experience is that the police can do anything they want as long as they don't leave big marks and there is video evidence.. I think it is utter bullshit to have no effective method of recourse...

needless to say the Amoco is no longer an acceptable place to be unless you have a completely stock bike that is either new or has a detailed service record and you have a reciept for a purchase within the last 5 minutes.... we will need to find a slightly more out of the way place to meet up or atleast a place that has no heat on it....

and as another side note.... As pissed as I am I really don't blame the cops on atleast one level... we are bikers and though the modern biker is not an outlaw.... alot of them are assholes... (be it wheelieing intentionaly infront of cops or pointlessly revving in residential area.... but that said the pigs did nothing about a chopper with filling rattling exhausts... that drove past them as they sat there in drive looking right at him.... they must be American Chopper fans...

EDIT: removed crazy cop bashing verbiage

As a post script.... I paid the fine... I called 2 lawyers and they said it jsut wasn't worth it on any level to pursue the issue.... I didn't want to miss a day of work just to have my shit fed to me again by some judge....

Kenny
S1000RR '10
ZX-10R '06 Black (gone)
SV1000s '03 Copper (gone)
SV650 '03 Blue (gone)
SS750 '02 Yellow Super-Pimped (gone)

Last edited by maks; 04-25-2005 at 05:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

I just realized I have a flame toward law inforcment in the post... I can not edit the post to remove it... sorry... can some one else please do it....

Kenny
S1000RR '10
ZX-10R '06 Black (gone)
SV650 '03 Blue (gone)
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 05:22 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

That gas station has been discussed in the past....the bottom line is don't ever go there again on a bike.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

that is another pisser of the whole thing...I never go there...I odn't like hanging there at all....It was just a last minute place to meet some one that everyone know about.... we were the only 5 guys there.... I know... I know I know

BTW Scorpion exhausts wer not on the list.... and I was deciding between Yoshi's and scorpions...I got the yoshis bot $10 cheaper...I guess now they are $90 more.....

Kenny
S1000RR '10
ZX-10R '06 Black (gone)
SV650 '03 Blue (gone)
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 05:33 PM
Got Milk?

Sportbike: 2007 Suzuki GSXR600
Years Riding: To much street not enough track
How you found us: A little server said HELP!!!

I remember back in the day (OLDIE) when we used to hang out there. They did have DB testers and would right tickets left and right. Basically we just stopped going up there.

The long and the short of it. Dont bother with the place. Or Rock and Roll Mcdonalds. If your going to take a break. Go somewhere else. That place is not to stop at.

Long live the Blue Dot!!!!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 05:35 PM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

Quote:
insert crazy swear words and insults an' shit here
I think I have my new sig.

The people in the highrises in that area have been complaining about the noise for years now. Expensive real estate in that part of town. Money talks.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..

Last edited by maks; 04-25-2005 at 05:43 PM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

I'm not against if I was reving the engine but when he saw that I was a paying customer he should have let it go.... or atleast been consistant and stopped the harley with the TRUELY illegally lod exhaust

Kenny
S1000RR '10
ZX-10R '06 Black (gone)
SV650 '03 Blue (gone)
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 09:51 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

So what happens if you have the badge removed from your aftermarket can?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 09:54 PM
CLSB's Florida Chapter.

Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office

Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
just another reason to not hang out there.. unless your looking to pick up some underage girls like someone i know

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 12:13 AM
Cali's Twisty Tamer

Sportbike: '96 CBR F3
Years Riding: since 98
How you found us: met at Strat's

Sounds like you got the same "nice Mr. policeman" my wife and I ran into. Though he cuffed me.

Thank you Mr. Policeman for showing me the err in my ways

Yeah we never went back since.

The optimist believes that we live in the best of all possible worlds...
The pessimist fears this to be true.

<----Shane

Shane's Facebook
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 12:53 AM

when im hanging at the local starbucks pretending i know how to ride my bike. The cops never hassle me.

I do know with cars, it states you can not alter the exhaust system to make it "louder" and removing the CAT is a federal law.

If you feel like fighting it, you can show paper work from the manufac that states the exhaust doesn't increase vehicle noise. Or do your own test with a DB reader from radio shack.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 01:12 AM
rider for life

Sportbike: CBR1100XX
Years Riding: First let the clutch out in 1972
How you found us: no- you found me

Wait a minute...isn't this located in that alderman clown Burt Natarus' ward?

I'm pretty sure it is, and explains the heavy handed "enforcement" and message. If so, it's a directive from his office. Correct me if I'm wrong city riders, but isn't his ward the only place this unconstitutional crap is tolerated?
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzx9r
So what happens if you have the badge removed from your aftermarket can?

they can not look at the can and say...that is a yoshimura...which is on my list of illegal exhausts.... basicaly I can say that is stock or that it is a dayhatsushurimuminia exhaust....is that on your list???

Kenny
S1000RR '10
ZX-10R '06 Black (gone)
SV650 '03 Blue (gone)
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 10:06 AM
saq
Pavement Inspector

Sportbike: '02 YZF600R (sold)
Years Riding: since 2003
How you found us: dunno

Stop posing in that tourist-trap, clusterf***. Problem solved

I need your boots, your clothes, and your motorcycle.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 10:10 AM

Sportbike: FJR1300
Years Riding: greater than a decade.
How you found us: google

Send a message via AIM to NickIF
there's no underage girls at the BP downtown

I frequently meet people there ALL the time and I've never been harrassed other than asked to leave. Keep in mind I've had a cage, 12 bar, and no license plate on my bike the whole time

I guess I'm just lucky
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Theyve been doing that since the early 90's. nothing new. most people were taking the tags off thier exhausts to get around this but even then it didnt work.

They can just go off a list becasue of those aftermarket manufacturers, none of them offer a system that meets factory decible levels which should be posted right on your swingarm placard.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 11:30 AM

Sportbike: 99 Honda CBR600F4
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: Honda Sportsbike Network

Why not just refuse to show your license? He didn't make a legal stop. Being a cop doesn't give him any right to detain you illegally.

Don't say anything, and do not provide any personal information until the officer can answer the following questions...

What specific law do you believe I have violated?
What information do you have to support that claim?
What is your name?
What is your badge number?
Who do you report to?
Am I under arrest?

If they say anything other than "yes" to that final question, or if they refuse to answer any of the above questions. Don't let them change topic on you. Stop talking to them, and leave. Remember, that anything you say can be used against you... but nothing you say can help.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saq
Stop posing in that tourist-trap, clusterf***. Problem solved
I was not posing I pulled in to meet up with a buddy that was 10 minutes or so behind me.... Yes in rtrospect not the best place to set up a meeting... and there were no teenae girls there....

Kenny
S1000RR '10
ZX-10R '06 Black (gone)
SV650 '03 Blue (gone)
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slycer
Why not just refuse to show your license? He didn't make a legal stop. Being a cop doesn't give him any right to detain you illegally.

Don't say anything, and do not provide any personal information until the officer can answer the following questions...

What is your name?
Who do you report to?
Am I under arrest?

If they say anything other than "yes" to that final question, or if they refuse to answer any of the above questions. Don't let them change topic on you. Stop talking to them, and leave. Remember, that anything you say can be used against you... but nothing you say can help.
it is issued kind of like a parking ticket... so he doesn't need your licence to write the ticket... so if you go and park by a friends house or where ever within city limits... a bored cop could pull up and leave you a ticket....

Kenny
S1000RR '10
ZX-10R '06 Black (gone)
SV650 '03 Blue (gone)
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 11:58 AM

Quote:

What is your name?
Who do you report to?
Am I under arrest?

if you leave on your bike then the cop can get you for loud exhaust or if he is an ass, he could make up illegal lane change or something to that effect.

if you leave and dont take your bike with you, wont they tow it? or just write the ticket anyways?

is there really any way to get out of a situation like that?
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

not sure but I was told that in that case (I was being harrased by the cop with threats of in valid tickets like unattended vehicle and loitering... ) I could have called 911/state police and told them that I am being harrased and threatened.... and the state police could have come and bitch slapped the cop for me.... I am not sure that that would work...

Kenny
S1000RR '10
ZX-10R '06 Black (gone)
SV650 '03 Blue (gone)
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 05:01 PM

Sportbike: 99 Honda CBR600F4
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: Honda Sportsbike Network

That's right... forgot to mention that you have the right to detain an officer that's written you a ticket until their superior officer, or a state sheriff is able to review the situation.

I'd also like to add that I've never been given a ticket that the cop wasn't 100% correct for issuing.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 07:23 PM

Well, most pipes are sold as "For offroad use only"

I have a Triumph pipe on mine, and they went as far as to stamp the metal heel guard with "NOT FOR ROAD USE" and a paragraph on how this product does not conform to EPA standards. So even if mine is not on the list, all a cop has to do is read a little to see I am violating something

Last edited by Brian; 04-27-2005 at 04:37 PM.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'd also like to add that I've never been given a ticket that the cop wasn't 100% correct for issuing.
How so???

Kenny
S1000RR '10
ZX-10R '06 Black (gone)
SV650 '03 Blue (gone)
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 07:37 AM
Got Milk?

Sportbike: 2007 Suzuki GSXR600
Years Riding: To much street not enough track
How you found us: A little server said HELP!!!

Micron used to have stamped "Off road use only" though I think they stopped doing it as of late..

Honestly.. your screwed I wouldnt bother fighting it becuase yes you are breaking the law if you have a aftermarket exhuast.

Now some factory pipes even say "Meet D.O.T. DBA noise levels" or something like that. But of course thats stock pipes

Long live the Blue Dot!!!!
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 08:23 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Cool

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they have to verify and test that your exhaust doesn't meet the decible required before they can just write a ticket???
Same with loud stereos they have to prove it's over the 75ft mark before they can write a ticket.

I just think it's PLAIN BULLSHIT!! He just felt like fucking with you, just like 1 nite we stopped there to get something to drink and got fucked with a little by the police, but for the most part they were cool in the end.

I could see if he pulls in and your just sitting there doing nothing or causing problems, but when your buying something it's called BEING A CUSTOMER So now it's ILLEGAL to be a customer????

BULLSHIT I tell ya

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode