Dealer invoice price - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
CCS - WERA - AMA

Sportbike: '04 600RR
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: search

Talking Dealer invoice price

Here is some great info from another thread about pricing for new motorcycles. Some great facts about what true cost is! I'm assuming that this is pretty similar info for any new bike from any manufacturer. This info is a great tool to have when shopping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrouch
I find it hard to believe any dealership would sell any new bike at a loss. Is it possible that the sales folks are told "this is our cost" by the manager/owner, when in fact, that number includes a profit margin. Therefore the sales folks can say, "I'm only making $12 on this", but the dealership can guarantee a minimum profit and still give the sales folks some leeway.

I mean, if a dealership were making $12 over cost for a transaction that takes more than 6 minutes, they'd go under in a week.

Just a thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tWisTEd
There are many other variables involved. . .

For example - If a 2005 Yamaha R6 retails for $8399.00 and the "invoice" says $7212.00 (and I'm pretty close to real numbers) there is still something called "hold back". It's tough to explain in a paragraph but no dealer owns every machine in stock. They're all basically financed from the manufacturer. Let's say there's about $300 of hold back money on that new R6 (obviously, less money on a less expensive bikes and more hold back on the more expensive equipment). If the dealer sells that machine in 90 days or less they simply "pocket" the hold back money. If the machine doesn't sell right away that money is used to help pay the ultra low finance rate the manufacturer charges.

"Why charge interest to a dealer or why give them a break if the interest eventually gets charged?" you ask? This is an incentive from the manufacturer to the dealer to increase the dealers initial order. Dealers also receive incentives and manufacturer to dealer rebates that the general public isn't aware of. Honda might say "Order at least 20 CRF50's and we'll give you a $100 incentive per unit." or - sometimes a manufacturer will have a product that isn't selling so for example - Yamaha says "The FZ1 isn't selling but obviously the R1 is. We'll match you. Purchase an FZ1 and we'll let you purchase another R1." Look at the big picture . . . If you make an average $1200.00 profit on each R1 but lose an average $500.00 on each FZ1, your still ahead of the game $700.00 Also, you have gained another service and/or parts customer and you have an opportunity to make (usually) a lot of money by adding points to the customers finance rate and warranties easily have 100% mark up. Many dealers also charge "freight and set up". These are fake charges added to generate profit. If you look at a real invoice, or manufacturers price book, you will see a charge (usually insignificant, $45 - $120) already built into the price for set up and freight. Push any dealer a bit and amazingly the frieght and set up charges will go away! If not, move on.

Bottom line? No dealer (or any business) can survive losing money. Other than the very rare mistake or a true loss leader (usually on last years model of which only 2 are still around) dealers don't lose.

Here's the final bottom line. . . SHOP EVERYTHING. Warranty, your trade, finance rate/APR and any other incentives (parts discounts, free delivery, accessories, etc) should all be shopped PRIOR to sitting down to sign paperwork.

The "finance" office is a huge profit center to the dealer (powersport or auto). Salespeople are pretty much just order takers now. Everyone shops price (internet, chat rooms ) and finally consumers are getting smart and shopping the "Out The Door" price. But, you get approved from the lender at 6.9 APR for 60mos. If the dealer bumps that 8.9 for 60mos. and you don't refinance for at least 90 days. . . ta da! That bank will send the dealer a check for a few hundred dollars for a job well done. Warranties that retail for $800 probably cost the dealer around $300. And stay away from any warranty that isn't from the manufacturer. An 'ABC Warranty' will usually A. not be good nation wide B. make you pay up front and they'll reimburse you later C. try to use cheaper, less reliable after market parts when possible D. create more headaches than worth the few dollars you "think" you saved.

There's a lot more to this but these are the basics that should give you some necessary insight. Have fun, good luck and be smart!

I called a friend at his shop and twisted is pretty accurate too. Dealer invoice on a 2005 Yamaha R 6 is 7121. They have another line called dealer net and that price is 6719! That's waht all dealers pay for the R 6 without freight.

Are we there yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 05:09 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

should be stickied. Damn dealers and their shenanigans (sp?) lol
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 05:10 PM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

Just remember, it doesn't say UNICEF on the door. You still need to let them make a few$$$
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 05:19 PM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker
Just remember, it doesn't say UNICEF on the door. You still need to let them make a few$$$
I have no problem with this but I no longer have the patience for the BS games that some salesman like to play.

Just two weeks ago, I took my very good friend to buy a new bike. At the dealer I asked for a no BS out the door price on a 05 GSX-R600. The salesman takes my friend's info down and comes back with a price of $10,000+! I was like that is BS! Get me the real price!

Why is there a need to play these games? I seriously wish salespeople would listen to the customer.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 05:19 PM

www.cyclebuy.com

Get your ready to sell price. Plus know about any holdbacks, etc.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 05:21 PM
CRF50 Squid

And ditto on the finance rate. The dealer tried to charge my friend 12.99% with me as a cosigner and I have near perfect credit. I got him down to 9.99% but seriously I hate playing games with the dealer.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 05:32 PM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Originally Posted by maoisn
And ditto on the finance rate. The dealer tried to charge my friend 12.99% with me as a cosigner and I have near perfect credit. I got him down to 9.99% but seriously I hate playing games with the dealer.

The best way to finance is through your bank or credit union. Any other way and you are going to pay more for interest.

Depending on your credit you may even get the loan unsecured, I.E. the title goes in your hand, rather than the banks. Again this will cost you a little more interest, if they will do it at all. Hell, I have a $5000 open credit line with my bank that I can use for anything.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 05:34 PM

Sportbike: Harley
Years Riding: 25 Years
How you found us: google

except for places like chicago cycle most dealers are not getting rich in this business. if a normal size dealer in chicago sells 500 units a year and say he makes as much as $1000 per unit thats $500000 gross income. an average 8000 sq ft building in our area has a rent of about $100000 per year, 12 employees at an average of $25000 ( this is probably to low a figure) is $300000 per year. shop insurance about $45000 per year. benifits even at a low end for 12 people is about $45000 per year (health, uninployment and social security) This ads up to $490000 you still electric, phone, gas, taxes ect. and i'll bet most dealers don't even come close to averaging $1000 per unit. hold back is just started in the last few years for powersports dealers. the reason is they needed some income for the winter months when they wer not selling anything. the hold back percentage was taken away from the front end percentage so it really is not extra money. freight charges is also something new in about the last 5 years or so. dealers in the chicago area did used pay fright charges but they do now and it goes up very year and the manufacurers did not raise retail prices to allow for this it just came off the dealers bottom line. everyone wants to pay a super low price and get super service, hard to do. not many qualified people want to work at a dealer because the pay is not very good and the hours are long. i could go on but i'll stop.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 05:35 PM
CRF50 Squid

Quote:
The best way to finance is through your bank or credit union. Any other way and you are going to pay more for interest.

Depending on your credit you may even get the loan unsecured, I.E. the title goes in your hand, rather than the banks. Again this will cost you a little more interest, if they will do it at all. Hell, I have a $5000 open credit line with my bank that I can use for anything.
My credit is immaculate. This was for my friend who's credit was not so great. Had I been shopping for myself, I definitely could have gotten the interest to less than 6%.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 06:12 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

Uh oh... pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 06:13 PM

Well once I knew the dealer ready to sell price, I offered them this plus 5%. More than fair I think. Profit isnt a dirty word, but Im not going to take it in the shorts.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:23 PM
Old School

Sportbike: 85 V65 Sabre
Years Riding: 27 years of street and dirt before that
How you found us: from roach

Send a message via AIM to WITMAN
hey guys just a thought

how many companies allow their customers to dictate their ability to earn a profit? been to the grocery store lately? or hagle on that plasma tv and get cost plus a couple of bucks, if so tell me where.
again just a thought.
whit

<............... Whitney

TWO WHEELS ARE THE ONLY WAY TO EXPERIENCE HEAVEN ON EARTH
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:28 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WITMAN
how many companies allow their customers to dictate their ability to earn a profit? been to the grocery store lately? or hagle on that plasma tv and get cost plus a couple of bucks, if so tell me where.
again just a thought.
whit
yea, it's called internet. Can't wait till ya can buy bikes without the BS over the net. Wish ya could fuckin buy straight from manufacturers.

Other than internet, there is plenty of places that ya can buy goods, and they will match/beat price of competitors.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 12:00 AM

BWA, if you were able to buy new bikes over the internet you probably would not save much much money with shipping charges to your door. Who would set it up and there would be no warranty because there would eventualyl be no dealers to take it to to get it fixed under a warranty. For that matter there would not be many places to get it fixed at all. You don't see very many independat repair places because without bike sales there is not enough money to be made. If you bought directly from the manufactures you would pay list price plus shipping to your door and the same problems would exist in trying to get it repaired. I remember years ago all the dealers gave only small discounts but they did not charge alot for freight and set-up. I feel the consumer set themselves up for all the BS when they started believing in some stores false ads for prices on bikes that were at cost and below looking at only the top price not the final price. These dealers gouged their customers with high freight and handling charges to make up for the super low sarting price. The more reputable dealers finally had to start quoting the same low prices to get customers to buy in their stores and they also had to charge freight and set-up charges the same way.They had to fire with fire. The Chicago market is definatly screwed up now and there is only one dealer to blame. When you saw an ad last year for brand new Busas in the trader for less money than that same dealer had in the very next ad for a used Busa you know something had to be wrong. A used bike one year old could not sell for more than a new one from the very same dealer.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 01:37 AM
This show is 'Rated NC17'

Sportbike: Honda's & Yamaha's
Years Riding: Late 80's
How you found us: CLSB found me!

Quote:
again just a thought.
whit
Ahh, spoken like a true virgin to retail sales.

Every companies profit is dictated by their customers. Profit is also dictated by supply and demand, service and competition among other variables.

Look around. . . you can save a ton on a plasma TV if you're a smart shopper.

__________________________________________________ __

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionmotor
except for places like chicago cycle most dealers are not getting rich in this business. if a normal size dealer in chicago sells 500 units a year and say he makes as much as $1000 per unit thats $500000 gross income. an average 8000 sq ft building in our area has a rent of about $100000 per year, 12 employees at an average of $25000 ( this is probably to low a figure) is $300000 per year. shop insurance about $45000 per year. benifits even at a low end for 12 people is about $45000 per year (health, uninployment and social security) This ads up to $490000 you still electric, phone, gas, taxes ect. and i'll bet most dealers don't even come close to averaging $1000 per unit. hold back is just started in the last few years for powersports dealers. the reason is they needed some income for the winter months when they wer not selling anything. the hold back percentage was taken away from the front end percentage so it really is not extra money. freight charges is also something new in about the last 5 years or so. dealers in the chicago area did used pay fright charges but they do now and it goes up very year and the manufacurers did not raise retail prices to allow for this it just came off the dealers bottom line. everyone wants to pay a super low price and get super service, hard to do. not many qualified people want to work at a dealer because the pay is not very good and the hours are long. i could go on but i'll stop.
First, most smaller dealers do watch their money closely but they're not hurting.

Hold back for Powersports dealers as been around at least 10 years. I worked at Banzai from '95 through '99 and it was around then.

Freight and set up charges have been around for at least a decade as well. We charged $289 ($200 for freight and $89 for set up) way back in '95. It was BS back then too! BS, but not the ass rape dealers have turned it into over the last few years.

Lastly, your forgetting all the other sources that dealers have for profit. Service is big and parts and accessories have generated a nice return. Don't forget warranties, ballooned finance rates, "pre-paid" service options and the used market is huge money for dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls14evar
www.cyclebuy.com

Get your ready to sell price. Plus know about any holdbacks, etc.
Good find.

Quote:
Absolutely. All business are entitled to a "fair" profit. But, without some serious research and a great deal of shopping, most dealers will leave you wondering why you didn't at least get dinner and a movie!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. ~ Buddha
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 09:15 AM
CRF50 Squid

Quote:
again just a thought.
whit
Douglas TV / Abt electronics. Just ask for the no BS price.

If motorcycle sales are customer dictated please end all the BS games.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 09:43 AM
a.k.a. jetski,pulaski,...

Sportbike: '04 CBR600RR
Years Riding: years? lets talk months
How you found us: www.600rr.net

Send a message via AIM to WatrSkii
Ass rape is the only way to describe shipping charges these days. My salesman wanted to charge me 900 after i had already agreed to a price 500 above invoice. Since i wasnt there to screw around i told him to cut it in half however he had to and i would take it. I know i got hosed for probably 1000 bucks but i wanted the bike, oh well. Ended up paying 8800 OTD for a 04 600rr

As for that cyclebuyer website. 12.99 for a report? I'm willing to bet some dealer out there decided they could make money off selling their info as well.

<-- Brian
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 10:08 AM

you never doubled tapped? I was trying to edit my post. guess i goofed it up. i hope you execpt my sincere appology. i hope you didn't spend the time to read it twice.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Joe

Sportbike: 2007 GSX-R600, 2007 KX250F, 2004 YZ450F, 2006 CRF50
Years Riding: As long as I been ridin your mama
How you found us: Joemama

Send a message via MSN to Joe Send a message via Yahoo to Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatrSkii
As for that cyclebuyer website. 12.99 for a report? I'm willing to bet some dealer out there decided they could make money off selling their info as well.
I used some service to get the invoice prices like this and it was discounted with multiple listings. The beneift is that I ended up going to the table with more information that I had previously, which saved me hundreds of dollars I am guessing.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 10:27 AM
a.k.a. jetski,pulaski,...

Sportbike: '04 CBR600RR
Years Riding: years? lets talk months
How you found us: www.600rr.net

Send a message via AIM to WatrSkii
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama
I used some service to get the invoice prices like this and it was discounted with multiple listings. The beneift is that I ended up going to the table with more information that I had previously, which saved me hundreds of dollars I am guessing.
Yeah i can definitely see the advantage to the consumer, and thats why i'm sure people pay.

I was just imagining the world of profit that a dealer can make from giving out information they already have at 12.99 a pop.

<-- Brian
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 10:41 AM
CRF50 Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatrSkii
Ass rape is the only way to describe shipping charges these days. My salesman wanted to charge me 900 after i had already agreed to a price 500 above invoice.
Ass rape is correct. I can ship my bike door to door cross country for much much less than that. There is no reason a dealer who gets stuff shipped in bulk is paying $900 for shipping. Even $450 is too much.

I ended up paying $298 for freight and $198 for "handling" which is much more reasonable. Thank you Fred for not trying to play games here.

Can someone on the inside share what handling entails? Does the bike come in pieces and require assembly? If so, how many pieces? Or is it just install wind screen, clip ons, fluids, lube the chain and polish the bike?
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 12:27 PM

That's a great example of freight and set up being used inappropriately. Like I said before we charged $289 and it was rarely questioned and easily explained. My favorite line from any dealer (and there is an obvious reason why I won't mention them) is "We only charge $2. . . per cc for set up." $1200 for 600cc sport bike and $3600 for a big cruiser! As crazy as that sounds I've seen it written down and heard about it from more than few folks. This was last summer and hopefully this "oversight" has been corrected.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. ~ Buddha
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 05:42 PM

Paying for those reports is worth it. I went into the dealer knowing exactly how much room they had to deal. Helps you know when you're getting a fair deal instead of just saying "okay" I saved a couple hundred on my SV by buying the cyclebuy report.

I hate the whole setup and frieght BS that most dealers have. I hate that dealers dont usually even post the MSRP on their bikes. Ive got quotes over MSRP on bikes when I inquired about them. I guess I looked like a n00b and they thought they could soak me. (This was at Des Plaines Suzuki, a entirely slimey feeling dealership) A dealership isnt a charity, but me buying a bike aint no tax deductable donation either.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 10:09 PM

Sportbike: SOLD ZX9
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: MEMBER

motorcycle dealerships realy dont make that much money! i was the sales and finance manager at woodfield motorsports till they decided to change everything and most of you know me. Do you konw what happins when you sit on bikes for a year? or 2? or maybe a snowmobile for 3 years, you have to pay intrest and it might be low it adds up when you have to pay for 200 units! and this has nothing to do with them being there for being over priced, its just how the market is!

some of you guys that own you're own business, do you do it to make nothing? or next to nothing? come on guys there is alot more that goes into selling bikes than just invoice and retail! for you guys that say ive worked here and there and freight is bs , let me ask you something did you guys have the bikes build by midwest set up? that is the main set up company in the area and guess what they charge you to build and deliver you're bikes!!!! and when it gets to the shop you still have ot put oil and time and gas in the bike! and all of that cost money, so while the manufacture dosent care for the dealers and keeps cutting the margin the dealer still has to pay for the stuff,

to the guys that say " i wish i can buy online" yes it might be true to save money but what about if you need help? i know most motorcycle salesman are dicks but there are few that are good and will help you and will take hours and show you what you want and need! i took alot of pride in selling bikes and soem of you that bought from me can vouch for that! i mean you can buy houses online and save the commission fee and stuff but would you do that?

now on to the finance office! yes they sell you extras do you need them? it all depends are they real? YES! alot of people buy warrientys and guess what if you ever use it, it will pay for it self!! now you guys are gonna say "yeah if you ever use it!" well guess what when was the last time you used you're auto insurance? or you're medical insurance? or homeowners insurance? propibly not in a while if ever but guess what when you do it will pay off! do dealerships make money off of warrienty? yes they do and why shouldnt they? i mean you're insurance man makes money off of you're insurance and so on and so on... on to the finance charge. yes dealerships can make money off of you financing but not always again this is where the manufacture screws the dealer, they offer very low rates with no "kick back" so while the finance manager takes you're app and gets it approved and files the paper work for you and does all of that, do you konw what they pay him? NOTHING! now if you do go through a local bank yes they will raise the points to make a little money but again they are doing something, how many people here have gone to there bank for a loan? and also have gone to a dealership for a loan? and whats faster? and easier? the dealership! do you konw why cause you have a guy that takes car of everything for you, now isnt that nice? its a service just like if you get you're yard cut by a landscaping service. i mean you can say "hey man, you used like a gallon of gas today and nothing else so can i just pay you 2.35 for cutting my grass?" no thats not how it works. he worked and did a SERVICE for you and he should make money.

some guy said that "motorcycle salesman are order takers" yes in some casses thats true, but for the most part it is not, a good motorcycle salesman can help a ton and again ask some of my costumers. i used to have people all ages coem in and say "ive never riddin and i wanna ride , what should i buy? and guess what it would take about 3 one hour visits before you fit them on the right bike ! and do you mean to tell me that the dealership that is paying this salesman and everything else for this costumer to come in and sit on 30 diffrent bikes, and be in a heated or cooled place should not make money? i cant tell you how many costumers used to tip me cause they were so pleased!! do you think they would care if you said " hey you could've saved a hundo if you went there" no they wouldnt cause they were happy with the "service " they got!

im a big car guy and people used to always say "support you're local speed shop" and you konw what its true everyone should! cause everyone just orders off the internet to save a few bucks but before you konw it they local shops close down and when you need a part like NOW! you cant get it. and its not cause they were trying to ripp you off its just the fact that they have way more overhead!

now i understand 100 percent about some of the dealerships and salesman that are out to screw you but you konw what you would never have to deal with that if you "build relation" with ONE dealer and keep going back! trust me they will remember you and they will give you a break

so guys support you're local dealership!

p.s. look for my used motorcycle dealership early 2006

haider
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Old School

Sportbike: 85 V65 Sabre
Years Riding: 27 years of street and dirt before that
How you found us: from roach

Send a message via AIM to WITMAN
hey twisted........................................... .......

[QUOTE=tWisTEd]Ahh, spoken like a true virgin to retail sales. \
I am far from a newbie to sales, I just find it silly how people want the cheapest price for everything and at the same time want the best service and support and people are supprised that so many people are losing their jobs to cheap labor overseas. we buying ourselves into the ground here folks and the old addage holds true
THE BEST DEAL IS NOT ALWAYS THE CHEAPEST PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
whit
ps the job you save could be your own.

<............... Whitney

TWO WHEELS ARE THE ONLY WAY TO EXPERIENCE HEAVEN ON EARTH
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 04:14 AM

[QUOTE=WITMAN]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tWisTEd
Ahh, spoken like a true virgin to retail sales. \
I am far from a newbie to sales, I just find it silly how people want the cheapest price for everything and at the same time want the best service and support and people are supprised that so many people are losing their jobs to cheap labor overseas. we buying ourselves into the ground here folks and the old addage holds true
THE BEST DEAL IS NOT ALWAYS THE CHEAPEST PRICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
whit
ps the job you save could be your own.
Really? Expeienced? No offense my friend but I worked with your boss Jerry for 5 years. Your manager Stu? I trained him from never selling anything. How come I'm not at Cycle Center then? I was invited (by Fokus and Haubner) and I passed. It's a crap business with very limited income. If you're good, knowldegeable and hungry. . . maybe you'll make 50K this year (in sales). Crap. Working every Saturday and putting up with us "cheap" bastards for 50+ hours a week?! Hey, someones got to do it. . . good luck. I had some great fun and met many cool people but I was a kid then. I delivered the bike (Yamaha dirt bike) I sold to Erik Buel on my day off because I could see his factory! Remember my advice and this post in a few years when you're done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANTAZ28
motorcycle dealerships realy dont make that much money! i was the sales and finance manager at woodfield motorsports till they decided to change everything and most of you know me. Do you konw what happins when you sit on bikes for a year? or 2? or maybe a snowmobile for 3 years, you have to pay intrest and it might be low it adds up when you have to pay for 200 units! and this has nothing to do with them being there for being over priced, its just how the market is!

some of you guys that own you're own business, do you do it to make nothing? or next to nothing? come on guys there is alot more that goes into selling bikes than just invoice and retail! for you guys that say ive worked here and there and freight is bs , let me ask you something did you guys have the bikes build by midwest set up? that is the main set up company in the area and guess what they charge you to build and deliver you're bikes!!!! and when it gets to the shop you still have ot put oil and time and gas in the bike! and all of that cost money, so while the manufacture dosent care for the dealers and keeps cutting the margin the dealer still has to pay for the stuff,
"motorcycle dealerships realy dont make that much money!" Really?! Maybe you were just working for the wrong one! As a manager and then GM I saw many, many dollars coming in! (I wished I could have had some ownership!) And yes, as a GM I saw EVERYTHING.

". . . it adds up when you have to pay for 200 units!" 200 non current units?! Yikes! How poorly managed was that place?

Quote:
to the guys that say " i wish i can buy online" yes it might be true to save money but what about if you need help? i know most motorcycle salesman are dicks but there are few that are good and will help you and will take hours and show you what you want and need! i took alot of pride in selling bikes and soem of you that bought from me can vouch for that! i mean you can buy houses online and save the commission fee and stuff but would you do that?
For taking time and helping guideing customers, you were one of the few. I personally sacrificed much greater income by being "nice". But, as an enthusiast I wouldn't have done it any other way.

And for buying a home online to save the comish. . . hell yeah! Why would I give some schmuck $5000 to $20000 (to his company - I know they'll get about 25%) to walk me through a house! A real estate agent (no college required, no big skills, just look nice on the sign in front of my home) should make $5000 in pocket for spending 2 hours showing me 5 homes! Ha ha! Not if I can help it!

Quote:
now on to the finance office! yes they sell you extras do you need them? it all depends are they real? YES! alot of people buy warrientys and guess what if you ever use it, it will pay for it self!! now you guys are gonna say "yeah if you ever use it!" well guess what when was the last time you used you're auto insurance? or you're medical insurance? or homeowners insurance? propibly not in a while if ever but guess what when you do it will pay off! do dealerships make money off of warrienty? yes they do and why shouldnt they? i mean you're insurance man makes money off of you're insurance and so on and so on... on to the finance charge. yes dealerships can make money off of you financing but not always again this is where the manufacture screws the dealer, they offer very low rates with no "kick back" so while the finance manager takes you're app and gets it approved and files the paper work for you and does all of that, do you konw what they pay him? NOTHING! now if you do go through a local bank yes they will raise the points to make a little money but again they are doing something, how many people here have gone to there bank for a loan? and also have gone to a dealership for a loan? and whats faster? and easier? the dealership! do you konw why cause you have a guy that takes car of everything for you, now isnt that nice? its a service just like if you get you're yard cut by a landscaping service. i mean you can say "hey man, you used like a gallon of gas today and nothing else so can i just pay you 2.35 for cutting my grass?" no thats not how it works. he worked and did a SERVICE for you and he should make money.
Warranties? On a jap bike?! I still have my '92 CBR600F2 that has been beat to hell. Did I mention I bought it new?! Always chainged the oil and always let her warm up but we've done track days, learned to do wheelies, actually road it to Ohio and wasted many rear tires showing off. No easy miles. DID IT EVER BREAK? Nope.

I've seen very few owners actually use their warranty. A dozen people in 5 years! Me? I'll save the money and roll the dice.

Also if you're sore about getting paid very little to run a finance app, get out of retail and get out of the powersports/auto industry. I did I can't believe how much time I wasted. Fun. Lots of cool people and great situations. But overall income for the amount of time wasted er, uh. . . spent. Yeah, time spent is what I meant to say! The internet has taken away a lot of the "magic" and has educated the masses.

Quote:
some guy said that "motorcycle salesman are order takers" yes in some casses thats true, but for the most part it is not, a good motorcycle salesman can help a ton and again ask some of my costumers. i used to have people all ages coem in and say "ive never riddin and i wanna ride , what should i buy? and guess what it would take about 3 one hour visits before you fit them on the right bike ! and do you mean to tell me that the dealership that is paying this salesman and everything else for this costumer to come in and sit on 30 diffrent bikes, and be in a heated or cooled place should not make money? i cant tell you how many costumers used to tip me cause they were so pleased!! do you think they would care if you said " hey you could've saved a hundo if you went there" no they wouldnt cause they were happy with the "service " they got!

im a big car guy and people used to always say "support you're local speed shop" and you konw what its true everyone should! cause everyone just orders off the internet to save a few bucks but before you konw it they local shops close down and when you need a part like NOW! you cant get it. and its not cause they were trying to ripp you off its just the fact that they have way more overhead!

now i understand 100 percent about some of the dealerships and salesman that are out to screw you but you konw what you would never have to deal with that if you "build relation" with ONE dealer and keep going back! trust me they will remember you and they will give you a break

so guys support you're local dealership!

p.s. look for my used motorcycle dealership early 2006

haider
It's called competition. The cheaper guy will almost always win. I too have had peolple say "Dealer XXXXX was a few bucks cheaper but you really explained everything and spent the time to educate me." More often I've called a prospect and got the "I drove 90 minutes to save $35" speech. Whatever

I too have been offered tips but I would never except them. Kind of cheasy in my opinion. I would say "If I really made you that happy, send others my way or get your next bike from me."

Support your local dealer that takes care of you! I'll pay more for service at 4&6 because of experience. I'll pay more at dealer A because they have 120 R1's and will cut me a deal. I'm not paying a lot more because someone was "nice". I'm pretty sure many others feel that way.

Lastly, if you say that is "motorcycle dealerships don't make that much money", why would we be watching for your used motorcycle dealership early 2006?

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 09:30 AM
CRF50 Squid

Support your dealers? LOL! Where I come from, it was the dealers who supported the customers and not the other way around. A good dealer will get my repeat business and all my referalls.

Screw me once, like two weeks ago and you lost your comission. Don't make me wait three hours for a credit check. Don't try to BS me with inflated prices and tell me it's negotiable. Don't inflate my finance rate and say "oh you can refinance next month." So dealers support your customers. I have a 120 lb rotweiler and Labdog's three turtles to feed. Dealers may not make much but I am willing to bet dealer income > my income.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 04:30 PM

Sportbike: SOLD ZX9
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: MEMBER

Twisted You Woked For Jerry?whats You're Name Maybe I Know You?

I Thought I Offer My Input On The Subject But I Guess I Dont Know Anything And You Guys Got It All Fegered Out
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 05:29 PM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

Don't forget one key thing here. Dealers employ people. Dealers provide a living for the owners as well as the parts people, the service people, sales people, and all these people's families. A dealership has to make decent money so these people can afford to put food on the table.

All this stuff you are talking about is simple economics. It is not some secret like everyone is making it out to be.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..

Last edited by whiteSeatEnvy; 05-06-2005 at 05:32 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode