Stay Sharp! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

Stay Sharp!

Judge Rules That Gillette Ads Are False By JIM SALTER, AP Business Writer
2 hours, 19 minutes ago

Gillette Co. ads claiming its M3Power razor raises hair up and away from the skin are "unsubstantiated and inaccurate," a federal judge said in siding with Gillette's chief competitor, Schick-Wilkinson Sword.

U.S. District Judge Janet C. Hall in Connecticut granted Schick a preliminary injunction prohibiting the use of the television and print ads. Gillette was also ordered to change packaging for the product and remove in-store displays that feature the false claims.

Wednesday's ruling said the depiction in Gillette advertising was "greatly exaggerated" and "literally false."

Gillette spokeswoman Michele Szynal said the company has not decided whether to appeal.

"Right now the ruling won't have any affect on our marketing since the visuals don't appear on any (current) advertising or point-of-sales material," she said.

The M3Power, a high-tech, vibrating men's razor introduced early last year to compete with Schick's Quattro razor, held a 20 percent global share last quarter and was the world's top-selling razor, Boston-based Gillette said.

Schick is a division of St. Louis-based Energizer Holdings Inc., and is the world's second-largest maker of wet shave products behind Gillette. Schick-Wilkinson Sword president Joe Lynch said Gillette's claims for the M3Power "go well beyond the capabilities of the products.

"We firmly believe that since the day the M3Power was launched a year ago, Gillette has deceived consumers about the performance of this product," Lynch said.

But Szynal said the computer-generated image of the razor lifting hair away from the skin was never meant to be taken literally.

The two razor makers have tangled in court before, including a long patent fight over whether Schick's four-bladed Quattro and Quattro for Women razors violate Gillette's patent for a multi-blade system. Gillette has claimed that any razor head with three or more blades would be covered by its patent.

In April, a federal appeals court told a lower court to reconsider its decision allowing Energizer to continue selling the Quattro razor while the patent dispute plays out.

Gillette shares fell 48 cents to $53.30 in late morning trading on the New York Stock Exchange, still near the top of the 52-week range of $37.77 to $54.33. Energizer shares on the NYSE fell 4 cents to $64.03, near the high end of the 52-week range of $37.10 to $64.15.

___

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Listen to Motley Crue

Sportbike: POSER
Years Riding: 3 Years
How you found us: Shadrach

I kinda foreseen this happening. After seeing the commercial, it does seem a bit far-fetched to say the least
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 01:11 PM

Ahh who cares. The Mach 3 is the best razor blade set out there as far as I'm concerned. The ones I've got at the moment do have the vibrator, but I choose not to use it anyway. The blade itself is the good part.

The BMW'ish Name is kinda bogus too.. M3, obviously and M///Power is somthing they do advertise here and there. Oh well, I don't buy them for the advertising. They work good.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50

I've got the blades but, no shakey, shakey for me!

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 01:19 PM

The best a man can geeeeeet

Bill I don't know howl you use it. Unless you're shaving your head, brus usually have to use clippers since our hair comes out immediately curly and can go right back in the skin (hair bumps) if cut too close to the skin.
I tried the shave head thing twice. My head was so sore and the scab that grew afterwards (no, I didn't go crazy just did a regular shave) that it looked like I was wearing a Nestle Crunch helmet! Fortunately about time the scab would come my hair would be growing back as well. Still, having chocolate chip for dandruff isn't fun either.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki_D_Wolf
Bill I don't know howl you use it. Unless you're shaving your head, brus usually have to use clippers since our hair comes out immediately curly and can go right back in the skin (hair bumps) if cut too close to the skin.
I tried the shave head thing twice. My head was so sore and the scab that grew afterwards (no, I didn't go crazy just did a regular shave) that it looked like I was wearing a Nestle Crunch helmet! Fortunately about time the scab would come my hair would be growing back as well. Still, having chocolate chip for dandruff isn't fun either.
It's wild, Bro! I'll get the ingrown on my neck but not usually on my head. I just try to go really easy, with the grain, then slowly accross the grain. Mama says "its all that and a bag 'o chips, Baby"!

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 01:33 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

shit, i'm still using gillette dual blades. no need for three.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 01:43 PM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

+1

Two bladed Gillette. It knocks hair down. Why spend a whole bunch of time and $ to be in the same boat in 12 hours. I'm trying to cut down on shaving as it is.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 01:44 PM

Anyone want some chocolate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Taborn
It's wild, Bro! I'll get the ingrown on my neck but not usually on my head. I just try to go really easy, with the grain, then slowly accross the grain. Mama says "its all that and a bag 'o chips, Baby"!
I've been tempted to try it again. My boy is a professional barber and he told me some stuff to use to help prevent the bumps. I looked good clean shaven on the dome. Ladies were lovin' it! I don't look bad when I use the clippers for a close cut just after that experience I've been very reluctant to do it again.

And eeewwww you have a Nestle Crunch neck! lol
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwa
shit, i'm still using gillette dual blades. no need for three.
I still have those too. With the three, though, I definitely spend less time going over the same area. With two blades it sometimes takes a few passes as opposed to a couple.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki_D_Wolf
I've been tempted to try it again. My boy is a professional barber and he told me some stuff to use to help prevent the bumps. I looked good clean shaven on the dome. Ladies were lovin' it! I don't look bad when I use the clippers for a close cut just after that experience I've been very reluctant to do it again.

And eeewwww you have a Nestle Crunch neck! lol
THAT'S gotta hurt the ego!

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 05:46 PM

Loki, Bill & fellow members of the Milk Dud Posse!

I used to get the Nestle Crunch too. The secret is to keep that sucka closley shaved everyday.

I shave after a shower or bath

Lather up with a good glycerin based bar soap (applied with a decent shave brush)

Shave with a straight razor (be careful)

Lather up a second time

Go over once more with a Mach3

Rinse, apply cocao butter

Prepare for the ladies to ask "Can I rub your head?"

Never go against the grain, that's what produces the Nestles Crunch.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 05:47 PM
FastVinyl.com

Sportbike: 83 Suzuki GS850
Years Riding: 4
How you found us: BWA

Send a message via AIM to XLR8R
I use the M3 but the "shakey, shakey" as Bill says, is only used by me to clean the blade, everything just comes right out. It does give a nice shave too!
I never believed that hair lifting crap either, besides I thought all razors that have more than one blade have claimed they lift the hair with the first blade then cut closer with the second, third?

---John---
If my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCALATOR = EVERLASTING FUN!!

FastVinyl Forum on CLSB Click Me
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 06:42 PM
CCS - WERA - AMA

Sportbike: '04 600RR
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: search

The weather is great out! It's time to ride! Razor talk?

Are we there yet?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 12:19 AM
I'd rather be railing :)

Sportbike: Riding Suzukis: 04 GSX-R600, 98 DR650SE
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: Gixxer.com

Send a message via AIM to Jammin Send a message via Yahoo to Jammin
You guys are funny I got the shakey shakey and it actually feels good while you're shaving I got the two blade, as well. Need that for some precision shaving (low profile goaty/french beard)

J A Y riding around the world on a 98 Suzuki DR650SE (sanDRina)
follow at >> JamminGlobal.com | facebook | twitter | youtube

Consider a small donation to support my trip or Buy a T-shirt

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind." - Bob Marley
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bogus
Loki, Bill & fellow members of the Milk Dud Posse!

I used to get the Nestle Crunch too. The secret is to keep that sucka closley shaved everyday.

I shave after a shower or bath

Lather up with a good glycerin based bar soap (applied with a decent shave brush)

Shave with a straight razor (be careful)

Lather up a second time

Go over once more with a Mach3

Rinse, apply cocao butter

Prepare for the ladies to ask "Can I rub your head?"

Never go against the grain, that's what produces the Nestles Crunch.
YEAH!

I had a coworker do that to me at a Christmas party. My wife was almost ready to throw with that chick!

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin
You guys are funny I got the shakey shakey and it actually feels good while you're shaving I got the two blade, as well. Need that for some precision shaving (low profile goaty/french beard)
Absolutely, Man! Got to have the goat face!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode