Lets be careful out there......... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Lets be careful out there.........

I was almost a hood ornament TWICE today on the way to work.

Both left hand turners.

I was not speeding.

As always I assumed they would pull out in front of me........and they did.

Cager

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 10:03 AM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

some things don't change....
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 10:03 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

NO kidding!!
Here at Golf and New Wilke there was a bad accident (T-Bone/rollover) which i assume the individual passed away because they put a white sheet in the vehicle and pulled him out without any care as far as injuries.....RIP

Kinda sad to the point of reminding me to always give the wife and kids a hug and kiss before i leave just because you TRULY NEVER KNOW.......

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 10:03 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
Shit, I'm getting gun shy from all these posts.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 10:05 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Like stated --- i ALWAYS expect them to pull out or cut in front. Mostly they always do. I try to always take into account the position of the sun as far as casting glare and visiblity. Sounds dumb i know......

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 10:34 AM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labdog
Like stated --- i ALWAYS expect them to pull out or cut in front. Mostly they always do. I try to always take into account the position of the sun as far as casting glare and visiblity. Sounds dumb i know......
no it doesn't. when i'm ridin i assume everyone is out to get me. That way i try not to be surprised/not ready for anything.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
King Nothing

What I thought was strange was that it happened twice on an 11 mile ride.

It happens a few times a week, but never twice in one day one way within 5 minutes of each other......

One thing I will say, is that daily commuting in rush hours keeps you sharp.

I almost went back home and got the car, I kept thinking of the movie final destination...is it my time?

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 11:31 AM
I'd rather be railing :)

Sportbike: Riding Suzukis: 04 GSX-R600, 98 DR650SE
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: Gixxer.com

Send a message via AIM to Jammin Send a message via Yahoo to Jammin
I feel your pain, stop and go traffice is a killer. You know because of this, I'm considering putting on a Headlight Modulator.

In short, you can set it to modulate your low or high beam so it's look your flashing your lights but at a controlled pace. Riders have said in reviews that they noticed cagers do a double take, when they're pulling out in front of you or otherwise. Downside is that it looks like your constantly flashing your headlights.

Im thinking of getting it and setting it up to my high beam switch, so when I enter a congested area, I can turn it on, and then these things are federally mandated to have a sensor that disables them when it gets dark so that your lights act normal after dusk. Pretty cool, I must say.

Im also thinking about brake light modulators, as I seem to manually do this anyway everytime I slow down or stop.

J A Y riding around the world on a 98 Suzuki DR650SE (sanDRina)
follow at >> JamminGlobal.com | facebook | twitter | youtube

Consider a small donation to support my trip or Buy a T-shirt

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind." - Bob Marley
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 11:33 AM
stuck in 6th gear

Sportbike: '99 SV650, GSX-R1K2, CRF230F5, '08 HM-S
Years Riding: not enough lately *(&%# work...
How you found us: LBK back in the day

what time was this at? never a good idea to ride in early sunrise/sunset hours when people are dealing with glare...
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
King Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin
Headlight Modulator.

In short, you can set it to modulate your low or high beam so it's look your flashing your lights but at a controlled pace. Riders have said in reviews that they noticed cagers do a double take, when they're pulling out in front of you or otherwise. Downside is that it looks like your constantly flashing your headlights.
Ive heard good and bad about these, Ive also heard they're more dangerous, cause some people take the flashing as a sign to them to go ahead..........as for the brake light modulators, I think they are a good idea.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
King Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie
what time was this at? never a good idea to ride in early sunrise/sunset hours when people are dealing with glare...
About 8:15 am headed northbound, so glare shouldnt have been the issue.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin
I feel your pain, stop and go traffice is a killer. You know because of this, I'm considering putting on a Headlight Modulator.

Im thinking of getting it and setting it up to my high beam switch, so when I enter a congested area, I can turn it on, and then these things are federally mandated to have a sensor that disables them when it gets dark so that your lights act normal after dusk. Pretty cool, I must say.

Im also thinking about brake light modulators, as I seem to manually do this anyway everytime I slow down or stop.
A good thing for your tail lights is the Priority Plus module. I got mine from
www.ez-brake.com
It turns your rear turn signals into running lights and flashes them when you hit your brakes a few times before going to high intensity if you are holding the brakes. I should be up at Strats if the weather is nice this week if you wanted to see it.

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 11:47 AM
stuck in 6th gear

Sportbike: '99 SV650, GSX-R1K2, CRF230F5, '08 HM-S
Years Riding: not enough lately *(&%# work...
How you found us: LBK back in the day

wear a big orange vest like the highway construction workers do to increase your visibility
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA

I dunno, I just don't believe that the cagers aren't seeing the bikers. For the most part, they just aren't looking for traffic at all.

It seems like every time I see someone pull a left in front of me, it's because they're following the guy in front of them. I guess the mental math goes something like, "He just turned, it must be clear, so I can turn and don't have to check."

It's really as though a lot of people let the rest of traffic drive the car for them: the guy in front stops, so I stop; he goes, so I go. I saw a real good example of this at a red light once: two cars, next to each other, stopped at the line. Light turns green, and neither one moves, because each is waiting for the other to go. It took them all of about 15 seconds before one of them woke up and pulled away.

Next time you're on the expressway, in the car, in open traffic, watch for it. You'll see people lock in on one of your back corners, usually in the blind spot, and match speed with you. Same problem.

I don't know what the cure for it is, either. Just watch out, I suppose, and pretend that traffic doesn't see you no matter what you do to be more visible.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: [email protected]
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 06:04 PM

I have to agree with Morrand, I was in my car today and a lady in a minivan turned right in front of me. When I locked up the brake and laid on the horn. The bitch honked back and gave me the finger. WTF. Like it was my fault I almost hit her. I was on the main road and she was turning into a subdivision. People just do not pay attention when they drive anymore.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 06:15 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie
wear a big orange vest like the highway construction workers do to increase your visibility
Like this:

http://www.newenough.com/icon_mil_spec_vest_page.htm

Although, it's not so much a visability issue, but more a recoginition issue. Drivers look for car-like object by habit, and even though they may SEE a bike, it doesn't immediately register as what it really is.

I've had people start to turn out in front of my while they were staring right at me, then a second later they slam on the brakes.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3

Last edited by shadrach; 06-07-2005 at 06:17 PM.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 06:32 PM
a hollow voice says plugh

Sportbike: sold
Years Riding: legally- 7
How you found us: don't remember

Send a message via AIM to Zero Send a message via Yahoo to Zero
I love when the other person is clearly wrong then gives you the finger after almost causing an accident or blatantly breaking the rules of the road. I hate to generalize, but people seem to not care about anyone else- or think the rules don't apply to them.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 07:26 PM

A vest isn't going to help at all. I seen couple cars almost hitting each other in plain view. People are simply a***holes and idiots. I almost got nailed by some soccermom bio*h driving in a van and i was walking. It is common sense that pedestrians have the right of way. But why not cut one off.

First we need a law to ban cell phones. Then cops having authority to pull people over for endangering other peoples lives by pulling last minute turns.

You would think, driving for years would make you a perfect driver. Obviously that isn't true.

Just try avoiding riding in rush hour. Or bring some asphalt with you and chuck it at peoples cars. And just claim it was the stolen asphalt from daily's trucks.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolninja
Or bring some asphalt with you and chuck it at peoples cars. And just claim it was the stolen asphalt from daily's trucks.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 09:39 PM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwa
no it doesn't. when i'm ridin i assume everyone is out to get me. That way i try not to be surprised/not ready for anything.

+1 That is the only way to ride! You never have the right of way on a bike.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach
Like this:

http://www.newenough.com/icon_mil_spec_vest_page.htm

Although, it's not so much a visability issue, but more a recoginition issue. Drivers look for car-like object by habit, and even though they may SEE a bike, it doesn't immediately register as what it really is.

I've had people start to turn out in front of my while they were staring right at me, then a second later they slam on the brakes.
Jeff Harbor Freight tools has a high visibility vest for construction workers $8.00, I plan to wear on night rides and when it's raining.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchGSX-R
When I locked up the brake and laid on the horn.
The horn is key, I keep my thumb on it ready to go in certain situations, both in city traffic and slower multi lane situations anywhere. It has saved me from atleast two certain accidents the last month, both lane-shifters that didn't bother to check their blindspot. A loud horn is very effective if applied in time!

Never had a left-turner not stop for me, despite that I tend to use the throttle to get through yellow lights at the last minute. I should probably stop doing that.

If you guys ride like you're stating here, ALWAYS assuming the left-turner will not yield, you are setting yourself up for a cager up your ass instead (if you brake unexpectedly and against the flow of traffic). I assume and hope it's only a phrase, not an actual description of your riding.???
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 03:01 AM

Sportbike: 1993 Cbr 600f2
Years Riding: Since beginning of summer
How you found us: Sportbike World

I saw a cager pull that stunt on a cop.. the cop was turning left had to lock his brakes, and INSTANTLY had his lights going... I had the biggest grin.. I'm like, Yeah! Justice finally working!!

RIP Mitch Hedberg
"I don't have a girlfriend. But I do know a woman who'd be mad at me for saying that."
"The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall."
"I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long."
Quoted from Mitch Hedberg
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 11:44 AM
I'd rather be railing :)

Sportbike: Riding Suzukis: 04 GSX-R600, 98 DR650SE
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: Gixxer.com

Send a message via AIM to Jammin Send a message via Yahoo to Jammin
As for headlight modulators, Im not sure yet, as I've personally experience cagers going ahead with the left turn, while I was flashing them to warn of my presence, so that didnt work. I guess I should start using the horn more.

As for brake light modulators, I'm interested in the VisiStop Intelligent modulator. It's intelligent, cause it doesn't repeat it's flashing pattern if the brake is constantly applied, like stopped at a light or on a slope. Reduces being annoying to the people behind. It'll flash in a shorter pattern if brake is applied again.

I'm also interested in the unit that converts your turn signals into running lights and uses them as brake lights too.

J A Y riding around the world on a 98 Suzuki DR650SE (sanDRina)
follow at >> JamminGlobal.com | facebook | twitter | youtube

Consider a small donation to support my trip or Buy a T-shirt

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind." - Bob Marley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode