I-Pass is getting sued finally - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

I-Pass is getting sued finally

I wish i owned one so i can sue them too.

Several people have filed a lawsuit against the IL tollway. The complaint is that many people who own I pass are being asked to come to I pass court. People will use I pass and if the tolls miss the car 5 times, they will be asked to pay a fine. There is something wrong with the system that people who are really in the system are being hassled with this. Plus, the tech support sucks too and doesn't help any of these people at all.

They are also bringing into court the issue that tolls were suppose to be eliminated 40 years ago.

I can find a link, but channel 7 did an investigation into this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 05:02 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

Good, the tollways in IL are a joke.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 05:09 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
The most that these people will get is getting out of the fines. IL will never get rid of the cash cow that is the Tollway system.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 05:26 PM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

i'd like to see the link to this cause i call bs. The cars plates are registered, so if the transponder fails, they will look up the plates, and charge you accordingly, without any fines.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 06:24 PM
I do it in the dirt!

Sportbike: 05 CRF250R #606, 03 XR70
Years Riding: lots
How you found us: Intarwebz

That still gets me.. how can the state legislators all sit in a big room and go
all in favor of DOUBLING the tolls in ILLINOIS say "AYE"
.................................................. ......................
and it passes?!?!?!?

Everyday I am reminded of why I moved to Indiana.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 06:50 PM
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SLaYeR
That still gets me.. how can the state legislators all sit in a big room and go
all in favor of DOUBLING the tolls in ILLINOIS say "AYE"
.................................................. ......................
and it passes?!?!?!?
They didn't. The legislature doesn't set tolls. It's the ISTHA that does.

Back on topic: I agree with bwa, I want to see where this is coming from so I can see exactly what basis these people have got for their claims. It's no good simply claiming that you shouldn't have to pay a fine for not having the transponder in the car. If that's one of the terms of use, then either you've got to have the thing installed, or pay cash, or get off the tollway.

If it's that they're getting fined without the opportunity for a proper trial, though, then they've probably got something there.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: [email protected]
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwa
i'd like to see the link to this cause i call bs. The cars plates are registered, so if the transponder fails, they will look up the plates, and charge you accordingly, without any fines.

My transponder fails constantly...I always get $100 fines in the mail for it. All you have to do is mail it back in with your ipass account number and a check for the amount of tolls missed. It's a bunch of bs.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 08:26 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Quote:
Originally Posted by el chino
My transponder fails constantly...I always get $100 fines in the mail for it. All you have to do is mail it back in with your ipass account number and a check for the amount of tolls missed. It's a bunch of bs.
You should send them a bill for your time and the stamp.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 09:05 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

I think its a bs article...I go through without my transponder all the time and they just bill me for it.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 09:48 PM

When I am on my bike, the transponder hardly ever works... even when being held high in the air. I have never received a bill or fine.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 11:13 PM
I'd rather be railing :)

Sportbike: Riding Suzukis: 04 GSX-R600, 98 DR650SE
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: Gixxer.com

Send a message via AIM to Jammin Send a message via Yahoo to Jammin
Yeah, I havent velcroed my transponder to the bike's windsheild and it takes me at least a minute to trigger the I-pass in the automatic lanes, walking back and forth with the bike and waving it around like crazy

yeah, and you guys probably know about I-355 - that the 50 cents toll was because they thought they wouldnt make their money back in time, and I think they made it back in like 6 months of opening that tollway, but no way are they going to back down the toll.

Man, and we have such high sales tax too, how much money are they making here? But the roads are still crappy....

J A Y riding around the world on a 98 Suzuki DR650SE (sanDRina)
follow at >> JamminGlobal.com | facebook | twitter | youtube

Consider a small donation to support my trip or Buy a T-shirt

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind." - Bob Marley
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 11:46 PM
Please attend carefully..

Sportbike: 2000 ZX6R (the green one!)
Years Riding: 2000
How you found us: I've been here a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwa
The cars plates are registered, so if the transponder fails, they will look up the plates, and charge you accordingly, without any fines.
Yeah, that's what I was told when I called up to report that my transponder didn't register. I was also told it may take a few weeks for it to get into the system.

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - JP2

"Life is just a place where we spend time between games" - former Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero

"everyone's a nutjob, some just have more restraint than others" - EndlessRR
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 11:52 PM
Yamahaulin !!

Sportbike: 2003 R6 Liquid Silver
Years Riding: 4 yrs
How you found us: on line

thats funny cause I just got a violation notice with a nice picture of my ass on it.

All I had to do was call them and give them my transponder number and they deducted the toll and waived the fine... no court?
But what I dont get is my bike is linked to my Ipass.. they couldnt figure that out?

I told them my I pass was with me on all accounts, and they admitted to having problems with bikes... so going forward, I will get another violation notice and I have to call again... thats there idea of a Ipass system.

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary . . . that’s what gets you” Jeremy Clarkson
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 12:01 AM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Yeah ipass on the bike is total crap, I wave that thing all over the place and it almost never works. They need to design one that works on bikes.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

oh ya that was a good nap.

here ya go.
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/spec...ate_tolls.html

theres even a video link too, but havn't tried it.
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 12:13 AM
Fat guy on a sport bike

Sportbike: Schwinn
Years Riding: 7 minutes and 52 seconds
How you found us: ask.com

I've always ridden through on my bike and in cars, no problem. Even when I was test driving cars when it required me to drive on the highway, with the IPass in the glove compartment it still registered. But this is America and if you can come up with a frivalus(sp) lawsuit so you never have to work again, congrats to you
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

putting this on the 2nd page cuz everyone thinks im a liar
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/spec...ate_tolls.html
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 12:45 AM

Take this toll from my cold, dead hand!

"The toll authority says there have been similar challenges in the past, which failed."

I remember this being a case in the past. It's so obvious that this needs to be closed and I don't even use it! It's like anything else. It's easy for the politicians or in this case a legal authority to put something in place. It's Hell for The People to eliminate it.
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin
Man, and we have such high sales tax too, how much money are they making here? But the roads are still crappy....
Living in the one of the most corrupt cities in the world... think about the cta, how they need to raise prices for fares... how many people commute on the cta a day? lets just say 1 million people at 1.75 plus .25 transfer... thats 2 million a day... granted paying the workers, electricity, repairs.... i know that is a lot of money going in and out, but really that is probably a low estimate of funds coming in per day... even at that though it is 730 million a year, almost 3/4 of a billion dollars... seems like a lot of money to me to keep everyone on a tight leash, plus the ridiculous amount it costs to have a vehicle and park it in the city... let alone the stupid fines they hand out, you put the toll money on top of that, where does the money go? sure as hell doesn't go into making the actual streets any better or remedying the parking situation. sorry a bit of a rant there, had a couple drinks after a late night at work!

Jake
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 02:46 AM

Fica Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaclewis12
Living in the one of the most corrupt cities in the world... think about the cta, how they need to raise prices for fares... how many people commute on the cta a day? lets just say 1 million people at 1.75 plus .25 transfer... thats 2 million a day... granted paying the workers, electricity, repairs.... i know that is a lot of money going in and out, but really that is probably a low estimate of funds coming in per day... even at that though it is 730 million a year, almost 3/4 of a billion dollars... seems like a lot of money to me to keep everyone on a tight leash, plus the ridiculous amount it costs to have a vehicle and park it in the city... let alone the stupid fines they hand out, you put the toll money on top of that, where does the money go? sure as hell doesn't go into making the actual streets any better or remedying the parking situation. sorry a bit of a rant there, had a couple drinks after a late night at work!

Jake
Cook County was just approved by the governor to raise taxes. We're now officially at 9% on general merchandise and property tax went up by .25%.
As they say, if you can survive here you can survive anywhere!
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 03:14 AM

lol loki, i hear ya! if only i could get the trash guy to sell my heroin for me... oh wait I would have to get in line for that, and then I could probably get a tax break to boot!!!! by the way you work out at CCC right? was looking at picking up some SIDI boots out there, and maybe my bike if the service dpt can figure out what is up with it. planning on stopping in tomorrow (wed) will you be working?
post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 03:57 AM

Ew, that smell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaclewis12
lol loki, i hear ya! if only i could get the trash guy to sell my heroin for me... oh wait I would have to get in line for that, and then I could probably get a tax break to boot!!!! by the way you work out at CCC right? was looking at picking up some SIDI boots out there, and maybe my bike if the service dpt can figure out what is up with it. planning on stopping in tomorrow (wed) will you be working?
Sure, I'll be there. We have some boots in stock. Even a few from Icon. Sidi is the dominant ones if I remember correctly. If not, as the line goes - I can order it for ya! lol
Oh and if you want the garbage man to hook you up, give him some Kool-Aid on a hot summer day!
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 05:21 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Ha......I have taken the toll road exactly once on the bike, thinking it would be faster, than 20, what a mistake. I have the I-pass, didn't have it with me, I blew every toll, the I-pass is linked to my plates, I haven't received a fine (yet), that day I was riding with two others, I watched in horror as one rider, at about 60, in heavy traffic, unzips his jacket pocket, takes his I-pass out, and is waving it in the air, I thought he was freaking nuts! It's dangerous enough on the tolls for a rider, waving a stupid I-pass around is just nuts. My solution.....I don't ride the toll roads, it's the last place I want to be on a bike.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 07:48 AM
To infinity and beyond

Sportbike: 2008 Hayabusa
Years Riding: 24
How you found us: Goggle Search Engine

I have a transponder that had a digital display that shows you the amount paid and the total in your balance. Now it just beeps when going through the tolls. So, I stopped at the IL Tollway in Downers Grove to complain of my transponder just working and they told me this type of transponder has been recalled. They gave me a new one, including wiping all the tolls that did not register. IL Tollway is replacing all of these types of transponders with new ones that register better when passing through a toll. If this is true or not...who knows.

Funny thing is I never knew this type of transponder was recalled until I walked in to talk to them about it. Seems like a tatic to have you pay fines until you ask the right questions.

What were you thinking??? You can't catch me!
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 08:27 AM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

I wish I had ten foot marble walls.......

and marble floors......

Damn thieves. I can't believe they get away with it after all these years. The pollitical corruption that goes unpunished in this state is retarded. Hippie, death sentence revoking governors (complete with plausible deniability) , shady big city politics, and possibly the most corrupt construction industry in the country (outside of maybe NYC/New jersey). It's a shame. On top of all they other crap, we have a tollway authority that has nearly no oversight, and makes up the rules as it goes.
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 11:52 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I tried the Ipass in my jacket pocket while on the bike and it didn't register. Then I put it in the tail and I get the blue light each time.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 01:14 PM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
iPass has yet to work on my bike. I tried putting it in the tail and in my jacket pocket. I have also never been billed for missed tolls. One of these days, I expect to be summoned to court.
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolninja
Several people have filed a lawsuit against the IL tollway. The complaint is that many people who own I pass are being asked to come to I pass court. People will use I pass and if the tolls miss the car 5 times, they will be asked to pay a fine. There is something wrong with the system that people who are really in the system are being hassled with this. Plus, the tech support sucks too and doesn't help any of these people at all.
The facts contained within your post are incorrect. Furthermore, there are strict guidelines that must be adhered to when using an I-Pass. Failure to do so, could result in fines. The class action lawsuit will go nowhere, the Tollway is acting in accordance to the terms and conditions contained within the original agreement.

Some instances reported on, are cases of people knowingly, or unknowingly, using the I-Pass in non-authorized vehicles, or not at all.

I have had an I-Pass for 4 years, and I have yet to have a problem.
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
The facts contained within your post are incorrect. Furthermore, there are strict guidelines that must be adhered to when using an I-Pass. Failure to do so, could result in fines. The class action lawsuit will go nowhere, the Tollway is acting in accordance to the terms and conditions contained within the original agreement.

Some instances reported on, are cases of people knowingly, or unknowingly, using the I-Pass in non-authorized vehicles, or not at all.

dont see anything wrong with my facts. All were based on the news.

If Ipass is so perfect then why are people on here have trouble with it?

Quote:
must feel good grabbing your ankles for the gov. blagoavich(sp)
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 09:10 AM

Quote:

If Ipass is so perfect then why are people on here have trouble with it?
I did not read about any problems. There is a 50/50 chance of it working on a bike. It is no matter, if the plate is registered to the transponder as it should be, then the tolls are automatically deducted.

Quote:
must feel good grabbing your ankles for the gov. blagoavich(sp)
What exactly does Blagojavich have to do with the tollway?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode