Drink More Diet Soda, Gain More Weight - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

Drink More Diet Soda, Gain More Weight

Drink More Diet Soda, Gain More Weight
Wednesday, June 15, 2005
By Daniel J. DeNoon

People who drink diet soft drinks don't lose weight. In fact, they gain weight, a new study shows.

The findings come from eight years of data collected by Sharon P. Fowler, MPH, and colleagues at the University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio. Fowler reported the data at this week's annual meeting of the American Diabetes Association in San Diego.

"What didn't surprise us was that total soft drink use was linked to overweight and obesity," Fowler tells WebMD. "What was surprising was when we looked at people only drinking diet soft drinks, their risk of obesity was even higher."

In fact, when the researchers took a closer look at their data, they found that nearly all the obesity risk from soft drinks came from diet sodas.

"There was a 41 percent increase in risk of being overweight for every can or bottle of diet soft drink a person consumes each day," Fowler says.

Diet Soda No Smoking Gun

Fowler is quick to note that a study of this kind does not prove that diet soda causes obesity. More likely, she says, it shows that something linked to diet soda drinking is also linked to obesity.

"One possible part of the explanation is that people who see they are beginning to gain weight may be more likely to switch from regular to diet soda," Fowler suggests. "But despite their switching, their weight may continue to grow for other reasons. So diet soft-drink use is a marker for overweight and obesity."

Why? Nutrition expert Leslie Bonci, MPH, RD, puts it in a nutshell.

"You have to look at what's on your plate, not just what's in your glass," Bonci tells WebMD.

People often mistake diet drinks for diets, says Bonci, director of sports nutrition at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and nutrition consultant to college and professional sports teams and to the Pittsburgh Ballet.

"A lot of people say, 'I am drinking a diet soft drink because that is better for me. But soft drinks by themselves are not the root of America's obesity problem," she says. "You can't go into a fast-food restaurant and say, 'Oh, it's OK because I had diet soda.' If you don't do anything else but switch to a diet soft drink, you are not going to lose weight."

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 11:23 AM

Quote:
"There was a 41 percent increase in risk of being overweight for every can or bottle of diet soft drink a person consumes each day," Fowler says.
Ok, Im a bit confused by this part. Does that mean that if you drink three cans of diet pop in a day, your chance of becoming overweight is 123%? Or just that if you drink diet pop everyday your chance of becoming overweight is 41%?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 11:29 AM
vroom vroom

Sportbike: '05 Z750S
Years Riding: 10 yrs
How you found us: Katanaplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Blonde
Ok, Im a bit confused by this part. Does that mean that if you drink three cans of diet pop in a day, your chance of becoming overweight is 123%? Or just that if you drink diet pop everyday your chance of becoming overweight is 41%?
According to the study, It would mean that if you normally drink 3 diet sodas a day, your likelyhood of being overweight is 123% MORE than someone that drinks 0 cans of diet pop. It doesn't mean that you WILL be overweight. Also, the study does not show causation between diet pop and weight. From this data, you can see that there is a correlation, but you cannot prove that diet soda causes people to be overweight.

-Mike
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 11:57 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull76
Also, the study does not show causation between diet pop and weight. From this data, you can see that there is a correlation, but you cannot prove that diet soda causes people to be overweight.

So really there is no point at all from this study. It could be a study that says people who use whitening toothpaste get colon cancer, but there's no link between the two.

Waste of time reading the article.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 12:24 PM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
if they're talking about risk, or probability, you can't have more than a 100%

a 41% increase in the risk (probability) means you take your current chances of being fat, multiply that by .41, and add to the orignal number and that's your new chance of being fat.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50

I thought this was stupid but, of course, that's why I posted it. Just more useless information.

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 12:43 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

Common sense.....pop is crap: Sugar, High-Fructose Corn Syrup, artificial additives, and lab-born sugar-substitutes that probably are causing cancer.

I drink less than 1-2 cans of pop a month, mostly as a treat. I drink about 80% water and 20% pure orange juice and sometimes gatorade. I've been off beer lately too....

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm a blessed man

Sportbike: GSXR 1000
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Sportbikes.net

Maybe not just useless info.

I switched from drinking cokes to diet cokes and nothing changed with me at all. I switched from diet cokes to drinking lots of water and I noticed major changes in the way I felt and the way my clothes fit.

Here's how it happened for me...

I had been seeing progress from my weight training for a while but then I hit a plateau. One of the guys in the gym suggested I start drinking about a gallon of water a day. Drinking that much water just didn't leave room for the diet cokes so I cut them out and just drank water. It worked, big time.

I am not a scientist, I just know it made a big difference with me.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 12:53 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach
I've been off beer lately too....
A new research study shows that abstaining from beer drinking can make you 41% more likely to commit homicide!

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 01:03 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhix
Maybe not just useless info.
I switched from drinking cokes to diet cokes and nothing changed with me at all. I switched from diet cokes to drinking lots of water and I noticed major changes in the way I felt and the way my clothes fit.
It's funny how that works isn't it? I truly believe that crap is poision. The body can handle it in small doses, but 2-3 cans a day, no way.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 01:12 PM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
I cut soda out of my diet about 2 months ago, simply because the sugars were rotting my teeth away.

I have noticed that I go to bed earlier and wake up earlier. Food however, does not taste as good without a soda to wash it down with. I hope with time, that changes.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 01:14 PM
BH

Sportbike: KTM
Years Riding: Long enough to get arm pump
How you found us: find who?

Send a message via Yahoo to BH
I recently quit drinking pepsi, and all other soft drinks. I haven't really noticed much difference, and I used to drink a lot. (2-3 cans before lunch time easy). I don't deny that it's bad for you, but I think the results you see from drinking/not drinking are definitely largely a function of personal metabolism.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redduck21
I recently quit drinking pepsi, and all other soft drinks. I haven't really noticed much difference, and I used to drink a lot. (2-3 cans before lunch time easy). I don't deny that it's bad for you, but I think the results you see from drinking/not drinking are definitely largely a function of personal metabolism.
Doesn't drinking water raise your metabolic rate and help the body pass fat, assuming your kidneys are performing correctly?

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 02:34 PM
I'm a blessed man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Taborn
Doesn't drinking water raise your metabolic rate and help the body pass fat, assuming your kidneys are performing correctly?
If you consider your body is 70% + water, it prolly makes everything work better!

I do know if you eat a lot of protein, you use up a lot of water in the digestion process and therefore have to increase water consumption to compensate.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 04:48 PM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
I'm coming up to a year since I had a soda of any kind, diet or regular, and coming up to 4 months since I quit caffeine, and a year and half since I had any alcohol, I also now workout at least 5 times a week, I have lost 38lbs.

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC1957
I'm coming up to a year since I had a soda of any kind, diet or regular, and coming up to 4 months since I quit caffeine, and a year and half since I had any alcohol, I also now workout at least 5 times a week, I have lost 38lbs.

THAT'S AWSOME! My doctor noticed my blood pressure was about ten points high and told me to back off the caffeine by half. I stopped completely and the BP returned to normal. Then I decided to start drinking coffee again. Needless to say the BP oscillates each time I'm on or off caffeine. I have to get more exercise.

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 07:55 AM

It's all BS guess work..........I drink 6-12 Mt. dews a day for the past 20 years. It has taken 20 years for me to gain 20 lbs.(I was always under weight for my height etc). My metabolism is sky high and I burn off calories like nothing.

I do, however, believe that diet shit soda is bad for you. Sugar is natural....what they use to sweeten diet soda kills lab rats.......you pick which one you want in your body.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 08:34 AM
I'm a blessed man

Quote:
Originally Posted by taziscool
I do, however, believe that diet shit soda is bad for you. Sugar is natural....what they use to sweeten diet soda kills lab rats.......you pick which one you want in your body.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but what they use to sweeten regular soda is far from natural. High Fructose Corn Syrup is very processed.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC1957
So, you are saying "quit caffiene, lose weight?"

I quit drinking diet coke 6 months ago. On average, I would take in 100oz/day. I feel no difference in anything since I quit. The one thing that I know for sure ..... quit smoking, gain weight.

This study is prolly not too dissimillar to the red wine study. People prolly binge eat, or splurge on calories, and think that they are making up for it by taking in 0 calories when they wash it down. Same with those that drink 1-2 glasses of red wine a day. No doubt the anti-oxidants help out, but those that drink red wine, typically have better overall diets, and that is the underlying reason for the wine benefit, not the wine itself.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 08:48 AM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
Saccharin has been proven to cause cancer in lab rats. What people forget is that the poor lab rat was OD with saccharin. In human terms, one would have to be drinking something like 200 cans of diet soda a day for weeks straight to get the same effect.

As far as metabolism goes, people with high metabolisms are few and far between. For 20+ years I drank soda exclusively. Rarely did I ever touch water or juice. I am 5'8" tall and topped out at a whopping 135lbs. Now that I quit soda, I weigh in at about 130lbs. There is no doubt though that soda is bad for you and for the average person causes weight gain.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 08:21 PM

I feel bad for the guy who spent 8 years on a mindless study with too many variables. I could explain further, but everyone else has sort of chimed in on the problems with the study, much of which span into the genetics involved with the population and demographics of diet soda drinkers. On a side note, it is possible to lose weight by shifting to drinking diet soda. It simply requires an individual who has rather consistant eating habits, drinking habits (namely drinks normal soda regularly), and is at the raw borderline of their genetic T3/4 output as it relates to their daily consumption levels.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 09:33 PM
To Punish and Enslave

Sportbike: A 10 speed :(
Years Riding: 25
How you found us: I know the dude that runs the website

Send a message via AIM to Jimbo Send a message via Yahoo to Jimbo
I use to drink 3-4 cans a day and now I'm at about 1-2 cans a week. I drink more water now and I started because water was cheaper

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"- Benjamin Franklin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook View Post
hahahaha, nice try. Everyone knows men age like wine and women age like milk. It's a scientific fact!!
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 08:46 AM
I do it in the dirt!

Sportbike: 05 CRF250R #606, 03 XR70
Years Riding: lots
How you found us: Intarwebz

WTF is soda? we call it POP around these here parts! :lol
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-18-2005, 06:20 AM
I'm a blessed man

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SLaYeR
WTF is soda? we call it POP around these here parts! :lol
I was wondering the same thing! What it SODA and What is POP? We call every "COKE" in the south.

Waitress: What ya wont to drank, hun?
Redneck: Coke
Waitress: What kind?
Redneck: Mountain Dew
Waitress: Tank ya, shug.

Ron Hix
MTD CR #975

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode