Car stereo opinions wanted... - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

Car stereo opinions wanted...

Ok... I think it's time to put a stereo in my truck. But I don't know sh*t about them. So I'm looking for suggestions.

I have a demo 2003 Z71 LT right now (my '02 is in the shop for some warranty work.) But the '03 has the Bose system in it.. and I LOVE it - it's perfect (for me anyways, I'm sure the "real" gurus say they're junk.) But I want to build something that sounds like it. Tight, clean, clear. I don't want it to be intrusive into the cab (i.e. no monster sub boxes, etc.) I race on weekends and use the cab to hold all my gear... if there's a box bouncing around, I'm worried that it might get damaged when I toss my gear bag, tool box, etc. into the cab. Not to mention I pack the back seat solid, and I don't want to lose much space. Not sure if they make a stealth box for trucks or not (???)

Anywho... my truck is a 2002 Silverado Z71 extended cab. It's the "LS" so no Bose system, amps, etc. I have a Fosgate head unit (that I want to use, it's an MP3-CD player.) If I didn't want to use my head unit, I'd probably just try to track down a stock Bose system on Ebay or something. So I need speakers, an amp, and probably a small sub. And I'd really like to stay under $1000 total.

Can it be done, and with decent components? I might also want to just have it installed... I can do it myself, but the weather is getting cold, and my truck doesn't fit in my garage The install would need to fit under that $1k number as well. If not, I guess I'll just bum a garage off a friend or something...

TIA

Jim

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 08:41 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Re: Car stereo opinions wanted...

With the head unit you want you may have trouble staying under that 1K mark. However, I would check out Crutchfield.com to see for sure. They make something called thunderforms that hide subs in a truck very well. Either that or there is a kit to raise the back bench so you can fit speakers under there. You can also get them with amps in the box so if you get a good head unit and the amplified thunderform box you may be able to get away with just a splitting cash between head unit and sub. Not ideal but I think you might get the sound your looking for. Just be careful not to blow those stock speakers with the new found power.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 08:58 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

I have a chevy silverado 94. Same problem. I ordered a 12 inch woofer box that was made for under the seat. You know that hump and angle. it is custom made and i paid 100 or so for it. i then put in bass blockers on the rear speakers so it turned them into mids. i mounted a r-phos amp on the side of the box and if i ever need to remove the box it just un plugs and cap the power.
I havent removed it yet and i dont lose any of the rear seat. you can also fold the seat up and use the top of the box as storage because it is in line with my jack on the left side. Just my .02 Oh yeah you can add high's in the upper front of cab. Sounds awesome but not intrusive outside.

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Just an idea for you, before you purchase whatever you decide on take a look on ebay. Tons of brand new car stereo stuff on there with the "Buy Now" option that is much much lower than store cost. If I were going to re-do my system I would go this route since you will end up with better components for the same price, or the same components for way less.

Chris
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 09:09 AM

I would first get speakers. I like the boston acoustics or Polk dB
Then decide if you want a sub,
What kinda music do you listen to. Do you want it to be tight and clean or alot of bass

Right now I'm using Rockford in the doors whick sound pretty good and sony explodes in the dash The sony suck.

How many watts is you head unit, you need around 45 peak to run good and big speaker. no sense having speakers that can handle the power if the head unit is breaking down under load.

Putting in speakers is a piece of cake. when you start to run amps to the speaker and to a sub then it gets a little more labor intensive but still easy

ccs #282
SM-USA #88
R6
Yz 426
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 09:15 AM
i am a newbie don't kick my butt please

Sportbike: '01 R6
Years Riding: 1 day

Re: Re: Car stereo opinions wanted...

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy
With the head unit you want you may have trouble staying under that 1K mark. However, I would check out Crutchfield.com to see for sure.

Just be careful not to blow those stock speakers with the new found power.

he already has a head unit that he would like to use with this setup. and he will be replacing the speakers, so there's no risk of blowing the stocks.

Jim, you should have no problems setting up something decent for under 1K .. but you should stay away from crutchfield. at least for buying. their prices are not very good, but they have good information. i picked up the kenwood excelon x859 earlier this year. crutchfield wanted $499 for it, i got it from abt for $305.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 09:19 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

One thing that is more important than anything else.............Just make sure whatever you do DEFINITLY match the RMS up! A radio may have 5000 watts of kick as sound but an RMS of 29. You have to equal them out.

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 09:22 AM

Re: Re: Re: Car stereo opinions wanted...

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael

he already has a head unit that he would like to use with this setup. and he will be replacing the speakers, so there's no risk of blowing the stocks.

Jim, you should have no problems setting up something decent for under 1K .. but you should stay away from crutchfield. at least for buying. their prices are not very good, but they have good information. i picked up the kenwood excelon x859 earlier this year. crutchfield wanted $499 for it, i got it from abt for $305.
Sorry I need another cup of coffee. Didn't read that to well did I. I agree you should have no problem even if you want to get it installed.

Michael, I always had good luck with Crutchfield compared to local stereo shops. ABT????....is that the place up North just east of Milwauke on Golf???? Never been there, I heard they had good deals but didn't know they carried car stereo. Thanks

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 09:28 AM
i am a newbie don't kick my butt please

Sportbike: '01 R6
Years Riding: 1 day

Re: Re: Re: Re: Car stereo opinions wanted...

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy

Sorry I need another cup of coffee. Didn't read that to well did I. I agree you should have no problem even if you want to get it installed.

Michael, I always had good luck with Crutchfield compared to local stereo shops. ABT????....is that the place up North just east of Milwauke on Golf???? Never been there, I heard they had good deals but didn't know they carried car stereo. Thanks
it's actually ON milwaukee now, a bit north of golf rd. also at www.abtelectronics.com ..

it really was a weird story. i went in one day with no intention of buying, i was just pricing tv's .. waiting for my bonus to come in .. and stopped by the car stereo area .. the guy said he'd let me have that model for $305 .. i'm like cool .. i'll come back and get it later .. well, i went there a couple days later .. the guy wasn't there .. gave me a price of like $399 or so .. i said that some guy the other day said he could give it to me for $305 .. he said "well, if somebody gave you that price, that's what i'll give it to you for" .. should have told him he said like $150

anyway, any place like that .. abt, tweeter, etc .. other than a big department store type place (circuit city, best buy) will let you haggle the price a bit. then there's ebay too .. but that's always a risk.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I would definatly get a decent amp that can run four speakers and a sub,as well as a small custom formed box to go under the back seat. With maybe one 10 inch in it. Replace all the other speaker with factory replacement sized Boston acoustics speakers, and run it all off the one amp. It will be good enough to blow your bose system away but you wont be going nuts on it. It will be a good well balanced system. If the amp doesnt have selective crossover points for each speaker I would also suggest using passive crossovers for each speaker. It will keep them from getting signals that they can not handle which will make it sound much better at high volume.

I have bought fr5om crutchfield before but they can be a tad expensive. But they will be able to get you the exact box you need for the sub. speakers and amp you could get off of Ebay like chris said, or go hit some of the local shops and see what they have. Tweeter always has some nice stuff and sometimes you can get them to install it for free which might be worth the extra few bucks you would pay there for the equipment.

I've done a lot of this stuff over the years if you need any advice feel free to get ahold of me.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 10:59 AM

I still have 2 amps for sale CHEAP!

KENWOOD 4 channel KAC-746

ROCKFORD FOSGATE 2 channel PUNCH 100
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 11:19 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

Polk/boston aqustic kick ass for mids and highs. MTX makes a box that will fit in the stock location under your rear seats and sound pretty decent. as for head units i like clarion the best for reception and function, but most work well

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 11:28 AM

I've always liked infinity for mids and highs as long as you get the high end stuff. Head units I've always found best banf for you $$$ with Kenwood and Clarion. Had bad distortion problems with almost every Pioneer unit I've ever worked on. For subs I prefer Kicker Solebaric's but those MTX thunderforms will be fine for you. With amps I'd swear by Phoenix Gold. I've also had good luck Carver amps and ADS amps.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 11:51 AM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

Does a/d/s still make speakers, i thought back in the day they had some killer mids pricey though!! and who around sells a/d/s????????

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast
Does a/d/s still make speakers, i thought back in the day they had some killer mids pricey though!! and who around sells a/d/s????????
I remember the speakers too. Not sure if they still exist but back in the day Music in Motion in Crestwood, now in Orland, sold A/D/S.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

-Abraham Lincoln

-Herbert Hoover
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 02:28 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

I have all Fosgate components speakers and Kenwood head and changer with a 5 ch Alpine amp in a small std cab Dakota. Speakers alone were close to $1K so I dont think ya want to go there.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

Wow... thanks for all the replies guys (and girl)!

Just to clear up some of the confusion - I already have the head unit. It's running in my truck now, just with the stock speakers. I think the HU is rated at 40x4... but I don't think that'd matter anyways, right? Wouldn't I be using the pre-amp outs?

I was definitely thinking Bostons or maybe MB Quart speakers. Not really sure on amps. I know DanO and Davey both like PPI stuff, but I think they're a little out of my price range.

As for what kind of music I listen to - really, a little bit of everything. From harder rock (Papa Roach, Linkin Park, a lot of old Incubus, etc) to more mellow stuff (newer Incubus, Dave Matthews Band, etc.) I'd prefer to build the system to sound good with Dave Matthews (since it seems like that style of music shows off system clarity better than a bunch of muddy electric guitars.) I'm looking for crispness and clarity. I want a sub with tight bass... not sloppy (since I don't listen to any hard-bass techno music.)

Labdog - you installed separate tweeters on your A-pillar? I was thinking of doing the same... the Bose in my demo has them.

Ducman - That's not a bad idea (just get speakers first.) If I can get away with no sub at all... that's fine with me. I'm not sure if the Bose system has a sub or not. Do you think the 40w head unit will be enough to drive a set of Bostons or MBQ's, or will I need an amp? I'm gonna try to do this on as little $$ as possible, as every dollar I spend is one less for the racing budget next year

Anna - what do you want for those amps?

Everybody else - will the amps Anna has be sufficient for what I want to do?

Thanks again guys, I appreciate it.

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 03:33 PM

OK OK EVERY ONE SIT DOWN... HAIDER TO THE RESCUE
OK MR.T-PEK THIS IS WHAT YOU DO.
YOU AND A BUDDY GO TO YOU LOCAL CHEVY DEALER. YOU TALK TO THE SAME SALES MAN YOU HAD BEFORE THEN YOU TELL HIM YOU WANNA TRY A FULLY LOADED TRUCK FOR THE WEEKEND, CAUSE YOU THINKING ABOUT TRADING IN. THEN YOU TAKE IT HOME FOR THE WEEK END AND SWAP THE STERO.
AH AH WHAT DO YOU THINK...........
PS. MAKE SURE YOU GET ONE WITH THE BOSE OR THIS WHOLE PROCESS WILL BE POINT LESS.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 03:35 PM

Sportbike: All kinds.....
Years Riding: motorcycles are dangerous
How you found us: as

ahhhhhhhhhh haaaaaaaaaa
Jim,

Well if you want to keep it under a g-note??
Not a problem, Let me know when you want to do it.
We'll get you a cheap sub. And I bet you could get away w/ running the stock speakers?? (maybe)
I'll spend 70% of your budget on the amp...lol
But It'll rock!
It's all in the amp!
Jim you rembember Jon's RX7 we had that thing cranking w/ just the stock speakers, JL 10w0, well and a kick ass amp (PPI PC650)
Depending on how much you really want to spend.....but for a 1000.00 I'll get your truck sounding pretty damn good!!
You think I'd steer you wrong when I have to ride in your truck over 5000 miles next year....lol
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 03:37 PM

Sportbike: All kinds.....
Years Riding: motorcycles are dangerous
How you found us: as

Quote:
Originally posted by TURBO-F4
OK OK EVERY ONE SIT DOWN... HAIDER TO THE RESCUE
OK MR.T-PEK THIS IS WHAT YOU DO.
YOU AND A BUDDY GO TO YOU LOCAL CHEVY DEALER. YOU TALK TO THE SAME SALES MAN YOU HAD BEFORE THEN YOU TELL HIM YOU WANNA TRY A FULLY LOADED TRUCK FOR THE WEEKEND, CAUSE YOU THINKING ABOUT TRADING IN. THEN YOU TAKE IT HOME FOR THE WEEK END AND SWAP THE STERO.
AH AH WHAT DO YOU THINK...........
PS. MAKE SURE YOU GET ONE WITH THE BOSE OR THIS WHOLE PROCESS WILL BE POINT LESS.
Shit..Jim even BETTER!! $$0.00
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

Suomy - you DA MAN! Why didn't I think of that?!?

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 04:09 PM

WELL I REALLY DONT KNOW WHY YOU DIDNT THINK OF THAT. BUT YOU SHOULD OF. ALWAYS UP TO HELP A FRIEND....
WHATS WRONG WITH THE TRUCK ANYWAYS... WELL MAYBE I SHOULD CALL THE DEALER AND TELL THEM YOU RACE IS SO THEY VOID YOUR WARRANTY..LOL J/K....
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
stock speakers suck monkey, and PPI amps are awesome but hella expensive. Get a 5 channel alpine, some separates for up front, some coaxs for rear fill, and one 10 or 12 under the rear seat for bass. Shit, you could go all alpine type R(good speaker for what they cost) for under 1k if you look on ebay.

Chris
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OmniGLH
Anna - what do you want for those amps?

Everybody else - will the amps Anna has be sufficient for what I want to do?

I checked a while ago on EBAY and the Kenwood amp was going for about $120 and the Fosgate for about $80. I'll beat any price out there since I really just want to get rid of them. My Acura came with a complete Bose system so I can't use this stuff anymore.

Champ91 was the one who removed this stuff out of my previous car, he is very knowledgeable about these things and definitely knows more about my amps than me. I think he might be able to answer some of your questions.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 04:39 PM

Spend your money on speakers first, amps do make a big differnec when the big pictuer comes togetaher, but pice by pice, get the speakers first. I'd see no point in drivining stock speakers with a nice amp, it may sound nice, but I'd know in my head how much nicer it would sound if you were driving something other then picses of shit.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 05:20 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

well i am not to much into car stereo highend stuff,

but i heard sparko matic stuff from radio shack is some good stuff

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 05:32 PM

Sportbike: '03 Yamaha R6
Years Riding: 22
How you found us: Fellow Rider.

Send a message via AIM to ordiga Send a message via Yahoo to ordiga
Quote:
Originally posted by Odysseys
well i am not to much into car stereo highend stuff,

but i heard sparko matic stuff from radio shack is some good stuff
Yeah that sparkomatic stuff is the shiz......you can't go wrong with that. You will be bumpin' more than than my old CRX #2 (the white one)....lol

'08 Subaru Legacy Spec.B
'03 Yamaha R6
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

Wow... ok now I've seen advice from just about every end of the spectrum.

One friend of mine, who is really into stereos, says to put all my money into an amp... that my stock speakers will sound great, if I have good power driving them.

My other friend, who is also really into stereos, says the exact opposite... that my 40x4 HU, with a good set of speakers, will sound great, and that an amp may not even be needed.

Now I don't know what to do. I hesitate to run stock speakers since they sound like ass with the HU running them. WAY better sounding than they did with the stock HU... but still like ass. I don't know how much better they'll sound, with more power... and buddy (the 2nd opinion listed) seems to think that the Fosgate HU's power is "clean enough" to work well.

Jim
"You just got hustled by da village" Racing .... LOL...
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-29-2002, 11:41 PM

please don't play your stock spkrs w/a real nice amp ugh!!
you can't compare it to component systems. does not sound as good
I see alot of good opinions here, i used to work at Highland
installing stereo's (remember that place??)

anyway mbquart, boston acoustics sound awesome.
personally i think that MTX has the best bang for buck.
you should be able to find places that sell mtx for cheap.

i just waited and bought all stillwater products, very happy
anna stuff would be pretty decent depending on how loud
you play your music.

a reference of mine is 50x4 for mids&highs
and 100x2 for subs but thats me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode