Before it's public - Home networking deal - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Ron
Workin' up to the track

Sportbike: In between bikes right now
Years Riding: 15
How you found us: don't remember

Before it's public - Home networking deal

We haven't made this public yet but SBC Ameritech will soon be offering a very good deal for new SBC Yahoo! DSL customers who want to home network up to 10 PC's and/or Mac's. (Yep, PC's and Mac's on the same network.)

SBC has partnered with a company that makes a single piece of equipment that combines a router / business grade firewall / network management software all for a one time $50 bucks for a basic network and the monthly SBC Yahoo! DSL. If you had to pay for these all separate, it would cost you easily over $200 and take hours to set up. Price just a router on the web and you are usually over $50.

I went thru the installation today at work and this is simple. With only the instructions, I had a network setup in 30min with a PC and Mac. The guy next to me did a more basic two PC network with a shared printer in even less time.

Even better is that you don't have to pay to have new cable run thru your house! Your existing home telephone lines are a 10 megabit per second network just waiting for you. Any telephone plug can be a networked DSL outlet. This isn't a proprietary network either, this is an open standard called HPN or Home Phone Network.

If you are really looking for the cutting edge, we will be offering a wireless home networking deal that's easily $300 bucks cheaper than buying the separate components. Same ease of installation. Mainly for laptops of course.

If you are interested visit www.sbc.com, drop me an email at [email protected] or and I can answer all the high tech and low tech questions you want.

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.

We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies, I think the soul of America dies with it.

- Edward R. Murrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 10:50 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

i hope you got a shit load of stock in SBC bro....you lil brown noiser you...you live and breath SBC around here.
good for you man...i like it when someone takes pride in there work!

anyway, i already knew about this but thanks for sharing.

<~~~SBC share holder

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Ron
Workin' up to the track

I don't have a shitload of stock, just basic 401K. This is just a really good deal. I wouldn't put some of our stuff on this site because it's no different from what other companies offer. And frankly, sometimes it's not as good.

But this network deal is really good and simple to install. I'm guessing alot of folks on this site have more than one PC and if they don't share their broadband already, this is an easy, fast, inexpensive way to do it. I'd feel bad if someone down the road asked me about this and I had to say, "Oh yeah, we just ended a promotion that could have saved you $100 bucks and a lot of hassle."

What is key, is that you don't have to run any ethernet cable. Your phone lines are a 10 megabit per second network just as they are today. You don't have to be a network expert either, I'm certainly not, and I got a 2 PC network up and running in 30min.

And yeah, I do stand behind the company, so if there is something we've screwed up, I can get it fixed, just let me know.

We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies, I think the soul of America dies with it.

- Edward R. Murrow
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 08:10 AM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

It's still not available in my area, and I already use SBC Ameritech/Yahoo for my home. I'm still stuck with a dial in out in the sticks. I really hate going on line at home vs. my T1 at my office.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 08:12 AM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

For those that buy into this program (and I do believe it's a great deal) and want some extra advice on how to set up and configure an optimal home network...my company has a spin off that deals in home wireless, and cabled networking.

If you have the toys but not the know-how (much like me owning a motorcycle) feel free to PM me.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Last edited by Underdog; 11-07-2002 at 11:25 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 08:51 AM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

I'm going to leave the decision on advertising up to the owners but you guys are right up to the line. In both cases, you are plugging your own companies and providing links. This is not simply a case of "I heard about this great deal". I have no idea if the release of this information prior to the public violates any nondisclosure agreements.

I'm letting this stand for now.

Dave

Last edited by BusaDave; 11-07-2002 at 08:55 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by favorednation
And yeah, I do stand behind the company, so if there is something we've screwed up, I can get it fixed, just let me know.
What's your name? And what department do you work for? I also work for Ameritech out in Des Plaines as a Planning Engineer (LCP).
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 11:03 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Originally posted by BusaDave
I'm going to leave the decision on advertising up to the owners but you guys are right up to the line. In both cases, you are plugging your own companies and providing links. This is not simply a case of "I heard about this great deal". I have no idea if the release of this information prior to the public violates any nondisclosure agreements.

I'm letting this stand for now.

If Ken already was notified as a shareholder it is infact already public information. If this is infact the case the SEC would have no issue with it.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 11:08 AM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy

If Ken already was notified as a shareholder it is infact already public information. If this is infact the case the SEC would have no issue with it.
Uhh, since when does a nondisclosure agreement involve the SEC? That's entirely another matter and involves insider trading issues. A nondisclosure agreement is a contractual agreement between employee and employer.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Dave
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 11:11 AM
stuck in 6th gear

Sportbike: '99 SV650, GSX-R1K2, CRF230F5, '08 HM-S
Years Riding: not enough lately *(&%# work...
How you found us: LBK back in the day

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Vinay

What's your name? And what department do you work for? I also work for Ameritech out in Des Plaines as a Planning Engineer (LCP).
uh oh...sounds likes sooooooooooomebody is in trouuuuuuuble
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 11:15 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Originally posted by BusaDave

Uhh, since when does a nondisclosure agreement involve the SEC? That's entirely another matter and involves insider trading issues. A nondisclosure agreement is a contractual agreement between employee and employer.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
I'll PM you about it Dave I may have misunderstood the implications of your post. If so I apologize. My point was that if shareholders were already notified the program may be further along than Favorednation believes it is. Infact, being an employee of a Company, in many cases you find out about these things shortly after shareholders

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ernie

uh oh...sounds likes sooooooooooomebody is in trouuuuuuuble
No he's not in trouble! Just good to see that someone is on here supporting the company instead of bashing the company like all those preposterous ads you see now adays.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 11:16 AM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

lets not get taffy wacky anyone please, the sun is shining, the birds are singing, the bike is in the garage signing, BORNNNNNNN TO BE WILDDDDDDDD, get out on the hwy, heavey metal thunder, looking for some adventure....................

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Ron
Workin' up to the track

By public, I just meant that we weren't pushing it out to the ad agencies. My point here was to let the people on this board know about a good home networking deal that it easy to install and inexpensive compared to going it alone. This is a great deal even for some small businesses.

Trust me, there is no violation of any type of agreement, legal or otherwise. I wouldn't put this board in that type of situation.

I have been able to help at least one person on this board get DSL, I'm just trying to help you out. It's intended in the best spirit of looking out for folks with common interests. I know that with a DSL connection, I am alot more active on this board than when I had dial up.

BusaDave
Sorry for the link, I forgot about that rule.

Ernie,
Who are you to talk about people getting into trouble! I'm still trying to explain to my wife about going 90 in the rain. (Just a good natured joke.)

- Edward R. Murrow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode