You Got To Be Kidding Me?!!! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Grammaton Cleric

Sportbike: 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
Years Riding: Since 07-01-2001
How you found us: Google, I believe

Send a message via AIM to MrBusa Send a message via Yahoo to MrBusa
You Got To Be Kidding Me?!!!

Rita could equal $5 gas
The timing and strength of the latest storm could cause worse spike at the pumps than Katrina did.

September 21, 2005: 2:43 PM EDT
By Chris Isidore, CNN/Money senior writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Remember when gas spiked to $3-plus a gallon after Hurricane Katrina? By this time next week, that could seem like the good old days.

Weather and energy experts say that as bad as Hurricane Katrina hit the nation's supply of gasoline, Hurricane Rita could be worse.

Katrina damage was focused on offshore oil platforms and ports. Now the greater risk is to oil-refinery capacity, especially if Rita slams into Houston, Galveston and Port Arthur, Texas.

"We could be looking at gasoline lines and $4 gas, maybe even $5 gas, if this thing does the worst it could do," said energy analyst Peter Beutel of Cameron Hanover. "This storm is in the wrong place. And it's absolutely at the wrong time," said Beutel.

Michael Schlacter, chief meteorologist at Weather 2000, said Rita now appears most likely to hit between Port Arthur and Corpus Christi, Texas, sometime between Friday afternoon and Saturday morning.

Just about all of Texas's refinery capacity lies in that at-risk zone. (For a look at CNN.com's coverage of Hurricane Rita, click here.)

"There is no lucky 7-10 split scenario to use a bowling analogy," he said. "If you're [a refiner] within 200 miles, you're going to feel the effect."
Compounding Katrina's impact

When Katrina hit, 15 refineries, nearly all in Louisiana and Mississippi, with a combined capacity of about 3.3 million barrels a day were shut down or damaged, according to the Energy Department. That represented almost 20 percent of U.S. refining capacity.

Within a week, almost two-thirds of that damaged capacity had resumed some operations, according to the department. But four refineries with nearly 900,000 barrels a day of capacity are still basically shut down.

If Rita hits both the Houston-Galveston area, as well as the Port Arthur-Beaumont region near the Texas-Louisiana border, that could take out more than 3 million barrels of capacity a day, according to Bob Tippee, editor of the industry trade journal Oil & Gas Journal in Houston.

"Before Katrina, the system was already so tight that the worst-case scenario was for a disruption that took 250,000 barrels of capacity out of the picture. That would have been considered a major jolt," said Tippee.

"We're already in uncharted territory now. We can't project what happens from another shot the size of Katrina or worse."

Part of the problem is that skilled crews needed to make refinery repairs are already busy trying to fix the Katrina damage. That would extend recovery time from Rita.

"[Rita] could have a significant impact on supply and prices -- this really is a national disaster," Valero Energy (Research) CEO Bill Greehey in an interview with Reuters Tuesday evening.
Gas not the only concern

Problems could spread beyond the gas pumps.

Tippee said that natural-gas prices could see a further spike, since so many of the offshore platforms off of Texas produce natural gas, not crude oil.

And while gasoline imports have helped bring gas prices down from record highs, there isn't as much potential for heating-oil imports, he noted.

"Gasoline tends to obscure everything, especially since we aren't paying heating bills right now," said Tippee. "But we were already looking at a winter fuel problem. We're about to take another hit that will cause a lot of problems."

Schlacter said even the oil platforms off the Louisiana Gulf Coast, which are not likely to take a direct hit from Rita, could be affected by large waves churning up the Gulf of Mexico as the storm passes to the south. Waves of as much as 40 to 50 feet could hit the platforms off the Texas Coast, he estimated.

Tippee said that production across the Gulf is already being affected by oil companies pulling workers off platforms ahead of the storm. And it's not just domestic oil being interrupted.

The Louisiana Offshore Oil Port (LOOP), the nation's largest gateway for overseas oil, stopped accepting deliveries of its 1.2 million barrels of oil a day Wednesday afternoon due to high seas, LOOP spokeswoman Barb Hesterman told Reuters. She said the disruption was expected to be "for a short time."

But if Katrina is any guide, it could take several days after Rita passes for production to resume even at oil and gas platforms that escape damage.

"There were several days where if you could have gotten out to the platform, you could have started it back up, but you couldn't find the boats or helicopters you needed to get back to the platforms," he said.

-- Matthew --

"I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in the Universe" - Jango Fett

Last edited by MrBusa; 09-21-2005 at 04:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 04:17 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

thats the problem with analysts...wheres my Crazy 8 ball????

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weelpilot
thats the problem with analysts...wheres my Crazy 8 ball????
"Is EMR filled with bad m*therf*ckers?"

Chris
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
lovely... I'm gonna have to work OT just to pay for the gas to get to work .

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 02:52 AM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

How come when that area got hit by hurricanes before it never affected gas prices? the Galveston area has been hit by BIG storms before and no gas price hikes. Its really looking like corporate greed to me.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 03:21 AM
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!

Sportbike: Rockets & Harleys
Years Riding: Me love you long time
How you found us: CLSB DECAL

+1

***Ashwin RIP Brotha you will be missed***

www.dcdecals.net www.firespeed.com

Life's Journey Is Not To Arrive At The Grave Safely In A Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Sideways, Totally Worn Out, Shouting "HOLY SHIT... What A Ride!"

All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never under estimate your opponent (mentality). Expect the unexpected (could work out in your favor). Two, take it outside(or to a table). Never start anything inside the Bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice.

Turning Shit into Sugar!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 11:17 AM
I do it in the dirt!

Sportbike: 05 CRF250R #606, 03 XR70
Years Riding: lots
How you found us: Intarwebz

It's so convenient to hike gas prices based on current events that may have very little to do with oil extracting and refining.
Desert Storm- they said gas would go up
when we went into Afghanistan/Iraq to get the terrorists- they said gas would go up
when katrina hit - gas would go up
when rita came- they say gas is going to go up
I have my doubts as to whether any of the above (except katrina) really had any affect on oil.

Build a few more nuke plants (safest and cleanest energy source if done properly) so we don't have to worry about natural gas for energy, get the oil out of Alaska and see if Canada has some untapped resources for mutual benefit... I'm sure the Saudi's and the UAE has enough gold plated Bentley's to last for a few hundred generations.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 12:12 PM

can anyone tell me where to get snow tires for my bike
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFRob
How come when that area got hit by hurricanes before it never affected gas prices? the Galveston area has been hit by BIG storms before and no gas price hikes. Its really looking like corporate greed to me.
BULLSEYE! All this speculation creates panic in the public eye, and them fuckers eat it up like candy!!

The gas in the tanks at the local station cost X amount to get it there, and until it runs out, it should STILL cost that amount, not X amount MORE! I still believe the oil comp. are all conspiring to get the prices up as high as they can while fucking us over.......and pocketing billions.........when will enough be enough?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 12:36 PM
Not too Slow Not too Fast

Sportbike: 2003 Aprilia Falco
Years Riding: Too many
How you found us: ApriliaForum.com

Send a message via Yahoo to RSVMillenian
I heard on NPR that in order for gas to be $3 the price per barrel should be $90. The six midwestern states including Illionis are investigating price fixing.

Dejan
CCS very very Amateur #144
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 12:37 PM
Curb your dogma.

Sportbike: another Honda:)
Years Riding: little while now....
How you found us: BusaDave

Hey! No worries guys!! The oil companies are being investigated for price hiking.....by..............their.................b uddies................................in.......... ......................Congress

"Cr-Cr-Cr-Crambone!!"
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 12:37 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phily-D
Hey! No worries guys!! The oil companies are being investigated for price hiking.....by..............their.................b uddies................................in.......... .................................................. ..........................Congress

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 12:38 PM

Meech, I'll help put nails in yours and your boys bikes for the winter if you guys rig my plate holder like yours

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode