... another AWESOME lawsuit - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
I do it in the dirt!

Sportbike: 05 CRF250R #606, 03 XR70
Years Riding: lots
How you found us: Intarwebz

... another AWESOME lawsuit

CHICAGO (AP) -- Four panhandlers have filed a civil lawsuit claiming that Chicago police and the city singled them out and violated their rights of free speech.

The lawsuit filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court cites an ordinance prohibiting people from congregating on or obstructing bridges, alleging that police used it to fine and arrest the homeless men as they solicited money from passers-by.

"If the First Amendment allows people to spew Nazi hatred on the street-corner, it allows you to ask someone for a quarter," said Marc Weinberg, an attorney for the men.

The lawsuit, which contains arrest and ticketing records for four men for "obstructing traffic on bridge," names the city of Chicago and 18 police officers who have either arrested or issued fines to the men.

After a 2001 class-action lawsuit, the city rescinded a ban on all panhandling and agreed to pay $400 for every panhandler arrested under the ordinance.

A spokeswoman for the city's Law Department, Jennifer Hoyle, said the settlement in that lawsuit did not prevent police from enforcing other ordinances -- it only barred them from using those ordinances as a pretense to target panhandlers.

That, argues Weinberg, is just what happened regarding the bridge ordinance, which he said was adopted at a time when there were concerns about livestock crossing wooden bridges and possibly causing them to collapse.

Wednesday's lawsuit claims a police lieutenant wrote a memo to his commander about how around 20 Chicago ordinances, including the one about bridges, could be used to ticket or arrest people.

Last year, the City Council adopted an ordinance that prohibits panhandling close to bus stops, ATMs or bank entrances and at sidewalk cafes and restaurants.

City authorities have said the new ordinance was modeled after a similar 1999 Indianapolis ordinance that was upheld by a federal court.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 12:51 PM
SICK OF IT ALL

Sportbike: missing my RC51
Years Riding: 9+
How you found us: drove by Strats one night & stopped in

If in fact the city did violate their civil rights they should be held accountable.

Wayne

Standing together
Side by side
Staying true to what’s inside
United as one, we fight

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

Oh yes, Mr. Weinberg is trying to cash in on bums. "Here's your 3% of what I made on you poor homeless guy. Now I'm going to get back into my Limo and take a dip in my pool when I get to my mansion."

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 12:56 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean
If in fact the city did violate their civil rights they should be held accountable.
How about violating my civil rights by hounding me for change every fuckin' 10 feet outside my house. I feel no remorse and I side with the city. They are trying to make Chicago a nicer place.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 12:56 PM
SICK OF IT ALL

Sportbike: missing my RC51
Years Riding: 9+
How you found us: drove by Strats one night & stopped in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D
Oh yes, Mr. Weinberg is trying to cash in on bums. "Here's your 3% of what I made on you poor homeless guy. Now I'm going to get back into my Limo and take a dip in my pool when I get to my mansion."
The fact that attorneys suck is another issue but if the pan-handlers' civil rights were violated then the city should be held accountable.

Wayne

Standing together
Side by side
Staying true to what’s inside
United as one, we fight

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
offtopic warning!!! Vcook has a joke!!

A family was so poor they had resorted to eating grass to sustain themselves. A rich lawyer driving by saw this and stopped to ask them what they were doing. The father explained that they couldn't afford food and had stooped to eating grass to live. The lawyer didn't hesistate at all and told them to get in his car, they were coming home with him. The father overjoyed at their luck thanked him profusely to which the lawyer replied, "It's no problem at all, I have a huge yard and haven't mowed in weeks, it will be a feast".

Chris
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
I do it in the dirt!

Sportbike: 05 CRF250R #606, 03 XR70
Years Riding: lots
How you found us: Intarwebz

bums suing the city... Only in Chicago!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 01:07 PM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

No love for panhandlers here. Civil rights are different though, everybody gets those.

We had these bums that lived in some junk trucks we had in the back of the place I used to work at. They were freaky as hell! Found one of them at 10:30 at night giving himself a bath in the water fountain! Ass naked. A week later, he got in an argument with one of the other "tenants", stabbed him to death and tried to burn the truck with the body stuffed under the bunk. Not good people to have around.

Don't get me started on the off ramp guys.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 01:19 PM
SV650N

Sportbike: 2005 SV650SN
Years Riding: Since 1980
How you found us: craigslist

Okay, then what about homeless lawyers? Any love for them? anyone? bueller?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 01:25 PM

Wait, another lawyer joke coming........

What do you call 1 million lawyers at the bottom of the sea?

A good start!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 01:30 PM

The ordinance isn't against speech, it's against soliciting...how about no loitering?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 01:37 PM

Uggg. I hate panhandlers. Harass and guilt people into giving you money. Fun. Ive had them follow me for a couple blocks swearing at me when I told them I didnt want to give them any money. I dont see how its different from extortion most of the time.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 04:33 PM
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by meech
The ordinance isn't against speech, it's against soliciting...how about no loitering?
The idea is that, regardless of what the ordinance actually prohibits, it's being used to stifle free speech, and therefore the way it's being enforced is unconstitutional. Anti-loitering ordinances have been criticized for the same thing: they tend to be used specifically against "undesirable" people, which, it is argued, denies them equal protection of law.

IMO, it's a big stretch to claim panhandling is a protected form of speech. At best, it's commercial speech, which isn't protected in the same way as private speech. They're better off sticking with the claim that they're putting up in court: that the City's using other ordinances to thwart the intention of an outstanding court order.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: [email protected]
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 07:38 PM

Okay, there are two things that one must understand before judging:

One, they were violating a law outside of free speech, soliciting.
Two, there is a huge difference between "Nazi hatred" and this, that being that "Nazi hatred" is generally political speech. While it can be censored, political speech holds much much more freedom than any other.

They are in the wrong, there was a law against what he did, and he broke it. As far as asking for money being within one's free speech privelages, well, not in this case because he was soliciting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode