Buy Gas Today - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

Buy Gas Today

people should fill their tanks up today. Gas already went up 10 cents. As the scare of the hurricane continues, they will be jacking up prices

I saw trump on jay leno, and he said this is all bullshit. Washington should get real business guys to get gas at a reasonable price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 03:32 AM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Yep and the more people go out and try to fill up, the more the gas companies raise the prices. As I said before, how come during the PAST hurricanes that hit these areas before never affected gas prices? THis is just a way the companies can milk more money out of people.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFRob
Yep and the more people go out and try to fill up, the more the gas companies raise the prices. As I said before, how come during the PAST hurricanes that hit these areas before never affected gas prices? THis is just a way the companies can milk more money out of people.
Yup, people panic and make a run for the stations and that causes all of this. last night I went to fill up at the BP by my house. Cars were lined up out onto 59 and people were honking and arguing over pumps. It was absoulutly reDamndiculous. there is no reason for that besides media hype. I'm ready to hang the media with a short piece a rope.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 07:49 AM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony
Yup, people panic and make a run for the stations and that causes all of this. last night I went to fill up at the BP by my house. Cars were lined up out onto 59 and people were honking and arguing over pumps. It was absoulutly reDamndiculous. there is no reason for that besides media hype. I'm ready to hang the media with a short piece a rope.
Might want to hang a few of the clones that buy into this shit and cause big problems too. The next question is what major event is going to trigger a run on the banks and collapse the economy.

How long before someone is shot over a tank of gas?

Dave
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 08:04 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

If it wasn't for people 'stockpiling' gas the price wouldn't go up as badly. It's the panic mentality that really screws the system; short-term shortage in supply compounded by a preceding burst in demand.

If everyone just went on like normal, the price would be less volitile.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 08:26 AM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: SBN

lol had to fill up yesturday. Cheapest the gas has been for a long time. Was sitll the same on my way in this morning.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach

If it wasn't for people 'stockpiling' gas the price wouldn't go up as badly. It's the panic mentality that really screws the system; short-term shortage in supply compounded by a preceding burst in demand.

If everyone just went on like normal, the price would be less volitile.
+1 I filled up yesterday b/c my idiot light came on. It's a storm people... 2-3 days TOPS and the price would be back to normal if everyone didn't rush to fill their 3/4 full tanks.

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 09:11 AM

Man and I am almost out, oh well, gonna be riding the bike all weekend
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFRob
As I said before, how come during the PAST hurricanes that hit these areas before never affected gas prices? THis is just a way the companies can milk more money out of people.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall a hurricane of this magnitude hitting Texas, or the mad dash to evacuate, in the recent past. Maybe it has something to do with it being one of the largest hurricanes in recent times to hit the Gulf Coast. That same Gulf Coast that happens to be home to several major refineries which might be damaged. I'm not going to say that there isn't some gouging going on here and there, but with decreased supply due to less refining capacity it only makes sense that demand will drive prices up.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 09:35 AM

Sportbike: 2002
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: sbn- ran into 20bikes riding

I will buy some gas today, cuz I'm on 'E'
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschaffer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall a hurricane of this magnitude hitting Texas, or the mad dash to evacuate, in the recent past. Maybe it has something to do with it being one of the largest hurricanes in recent times to hit the Gulf Coast. That same Gulf Coast that happens to be home to several major refineries which might be damaged. I'm not going to say that there isn't some gouging going on here and there, but with decreased supply due to less refining capacity it only makes sense that demand will drive prices up.
But that refining capacity serves the EAST COAST, NOT the midwest....Why the fuck should our prices go up? That gas station on the corner has their gas at $2.69.....and until it's gone, the price should be $2.69!! If they have to get more and it costs more THEN, I could see a higher pump price. Greed drives the price up, nothing more.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 09:51 AM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by taziscool
But that refining capacity serves the EAST COAST, NOT the midwest....Why the fuck should our prices go up? That gas station on the corner has their gas at $2.69.....and until it's gone, the price should be $2.69!! If they have to get more and it costs more THEN, I could see a higher pump price. Greed drives the price up, nothing more.
gas stations present the price as what it would cost to replace the gas.

by that same token, when gas prices go down, they have to lower there prices, even though they paid more for that gas, because if they don't lower there prices they wont sell whats left, because people will buy the cheaper gas

it all averages out in the end. You pay more when it goes up and less when it goes down, regardless of what the station payed for it.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 09:58 AM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Quote:
I'm not going to say that there isn't some gouging going on here and there, but with decreased supply due to less refining capacity it only makes sense that demand will drive prices up.
It likely will impact refining capacity, possibly severely, and likely for more than 2-3 days. That said, how much is one full tank of gas going to make a difference?

Dave
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 09:59 AM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
Quote:

Gouging don't normally happen on the way up... it happens on the way down when nobody's looking. Sure gas prices go up... but why the delay and slow drop after they start to return to "normal"?

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 10:01 AM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

My Dad asked to borrow 2 5 gallon gas cans I have.. what the hell is with him

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 10:10 AM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
I filled up my car with 93 octane this morning because I was on E. That should last me a month or so as I do not drive much. While I was at it, I filled up a 5 gallon can with 87 octane as my bike needed gas also. Now when the rush occurs, I'm going to sit back and laugh at all the idiots standing in line.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Why the fuck our prices should go up is this....If the East Coast runs into supply problems, more has to be diverted from the Midwest to the east coast to make up for it. It's a nationwide problem, not an east coast problem. Greed probably has some hand in it as the oil companies are posting record profits this year, but there's no denying that refining capacity was hurt by Katrina and stands a good chance of being hurt further with Rita. Without the refining capacity it's hard to create the supply needed and prices wil rise to deal with the increased demand.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 01:24 PM
SV650N

Sportbike: 2005 SV650SN
Years Riding: Since 1980
How you found us: craigslist

Suddenly, those honda SPREE's are looking mighy sexy nowadays!
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 03:43 PM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
I wish we could get Honda Waves in the states like we can over seas. It was a 90cc scooter with a clutchless manual 5 speed transmission. Yup you shift gears but there was no clutch. Even riding double up, you can haul ass on and off road. Brand new it was only $700 in Thailand.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Why the fuck our prices should go up is this....If the East Coast runs into supply problems, more has to be diverted from the Midwest to the east coast to make up for it. It's a nationwide problem, not an east coast problem.
Says WHO? They run out, tough luck in my book........yes, I am 'that much' of a bastard.

Quote:
Greed probably has some hand in it as the oil companies are posting record profits this year, but there's no denying that refining capacity was hurt by Katrina and stands a good chance of being hurt further with Rita. Without the refining capacity it's hard to create the supply needed and prices wil rise to deal with the increased demand.
Well, then the prudent fucking thing to do would be to MOVE those refineries OUT of such a dangerous area, ya think?
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

we have a refinery in lockport. I dont know how much it puts out but no reason gas should go up aslong as it gets the crude that it needs.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 04:14 PM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashomon
Suddenly, those honda SPREE's are looking mighy sexy nowadays!
Uhhhh.....I'll keep what I got, but all power to ya if you wanna tool around on one of those.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 04:22 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
yeah, the "experts" said gas was going up to $4 a gallon after Katrina. What actually happened? It went up to $3 a gallon for a bit now its at $2.76 here in Naperville. Rita may cause gas to go up a bit, but $5 a gallon? Nah. I think we are all going to have to live with gas around $2.80 a gallon for awhile.

I read a report from some of the top guys in futures and they said the gas prices next year will dramatically drop. This is just a bubble like the Internet bubble and the housing bubble. They predicted that barrel of oil will drop to the $35 dollar range again.

I filled my 10R's tank today and it was $8. Unfortunately winter is on its way... but I get to take the train to work.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Says WHO? They run out, tough luck in my book........yes, I am 'that much' of a bastard.

Well, then the prudent fucking thing to do would be to MOVE those refineries OUT of such a dangerous area, ya think?

I can see that line of reasoning - Fuck the East Coast

But, the prudent thing to do would've been not to shut down good working refineries to appease the tree huggers. Once the Blue Island, IL refinery shut down gas prices took a big jump around here.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 06:05 PM

THOSE DAMN BASTARDS, stole gas from me. Thats it, time to bust some heads....
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 06:21 PM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

Here we go again, I am so sick of being dicked around. Suzuki needs to make a biodeisel gixxer 600.

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Yet another panic for no reason.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 07:06 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

gas was still 2.60 when I left college station on thursday, although most stations were sold out since we were all going to diiiiiie!!!!!! crazies.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 11:08 AM

Sportbike: Kawasaki ZX-9R
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: from a member

Quote:
But, the prudent thing to do would've been not to shut down good working refineries to appease the tree huggers. Once the Blue Island, IL refinery shut down gas prices took a big jump around here.
I agree! If it wasn't for the EPA and all tne eviromental wackos, gas would be much cheaper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
I read a report from some of the top guys in futures and they said the gas prices next year will dramatically drop. This is just a bubble like the Internet bubble and the housing bubble. They predicted that barrel of oil will drop to the $35 dollar range again.
I hope they're right, but I'm not holding my breath.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode