Continued crackdown on loud bikes - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Continued crackdown on loud bikes

Thought this might be of interest to everyone

http://www.natarus.com/email/08-10-05.html

I thought I read that in Illinois exhaust modifications were only illegal if the sole purpose of the mod was to make the bike louder. I don't recall anything about moding to increase performance being illegal. Are these 'noise polution' tickets legit or can riders fight these citations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
as I understand it, unless an exhaust system is DOT approved then it's illegal.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Anything over stock deciel level is illegal. its alwasy been that way. thats why so many used to pull the labels off thier vance and hines etc so the cops could not tell what kind of system it was. Once you change out your pipes, if they are louder than stock, you are accepting the risk of getting a ticket.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:42 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6Diver
Thought this might be of interest to everyone

http://www.natarus.com/email/08-10-05.html

I thought I read that in Illinois exhaust modifications were only illegal if the sole purpose of the mod was to make the bike louder. I don't recall anything about moding to increase performance being illegal. Are these 'noise polution' tickets legit or can riders fight these citations?
I can see it now.....

"Your honor, I didnt put that exhaust on to make my cycle louder, I put it on so I can do 0-100 in..........."

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:53 AM
Puppy Love!

Sportbike: 05' Gixxer 6
Years Riding: Grew up in the dirt, going on my 7th season on the street..
How you found us: Homer Simpson

Send a message via AIM to Gixx Send a message via Yahoo to Gixx
I say we all email that retard, and tell him what a TOOL he is!! [email protected]

KJ

Quote:
I'm here to chew some bubble gum, and kick some ass.......and I'm all out of bubblegum!!
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:57 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Or, join ABATE and become part of the solution!

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Saying anything to that guy is a can of worms. he is a grade A whack job. besides he is only enforcing laws that are already on the books. if we want ot change that we need to go and loby Springfield. Join Abate they will do it for you.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 10:59 AM
Puppy Love!

Sportbike: 05' Gixxer 6
Years Riding: Grew up in the dirt, going on my 7th season on the street..
How you found us: Homer Simpson

Send a message via AIM to Gixx Send a message via Yahoo to Gixx
Where do you sign up for ABATE?

KJ

Quote:
I'm here to chew some bubble gum, and kick some ass.......and I'm all out of bubblegum!!
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 11:02 AM

Sportbike: Kawasaki ZX-9R
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: from a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerChicKJ
I say we all email that retard, and tell him what a TOOL he is!! [email protected]
Email sent! I'll let you know if he responds.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 11:10 AM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

Anyone here live in the downtown area?

"Motorcycle owners have a right to enjoy the city’s streets, but they should not be allowed to disturb the peace and quiet of their neighbors."

I can't sleep some nights because assholes drive by my place reving their motors for no fucking reason. I'm not saying I'm against loud exhaust, all my bikes have them, but some people ruin it for the rest of us. Don't blame the police, blame the idiots that cause the complaints.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 11:19 AM

I think they changed the word recently. It used to be illegal to modify to make it louder. Didnt say anything about modifying for performance or outright replacing the exhaust. Now it just says that it cant be louder than the stock system. (I wonder how many midas systems fail that law?)
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 11:29 AM

Can you hear me now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D

"Motorcycle owners have a right to enjoy the city’s streets, but they should not be allowed to disturb the peace and quiet of their neighbors."

I can't sleep some nights because assholes drive by my place reving their motors for no fucking reason. I'm not saying I'm against loud exhaust, all my bikes have them, but some people ruin it for the rest of us. Don't blame the police, blame the idiots that cause the complaints.
I remember while working at CC that a detective came in. Several of us got into a convo with him regarding aftermarket pipe. I told him howl I called the non-emergency number to ask about any new laws or whatever and the operator told me that it's not illegal to have aftermarket pipes. I explained to him if it's about noise you'll put Harley people out of business. He said that they can get us on emissions. If it's aftermarket it's not set up to be on that bike(?) So it's not just noise. Some bikers have gotten tickets downtown while putting gas in their bike and it's not even on! I don't know howl true this is but he was a detective and that's what he told us.
I do agree that nobody likes noise all the time. And a lot of people forget that downtown is an actual community where people live. That sound travels up the side of those buildings as if you're on the 2nd floor and the window is open.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 11:36 AM

Sportbike: none...all gone
Years Riding: a while
How you found us: ken

I'd love see to one of Chicago's finest, you know the one with louder than sh*t Harley, get caught while the 'tool' is on his ride alongs.

Not likely to happen as those guys save the noise pollution for the burbs.
Ah, welcome to the land of the connected.

CCS race official
sold the track bike
too slow to ride

"Repairs end December 31. 2011."

OK, it was a tough day.....back open again!!!
Bring me your broken down machines.

Butch @ 630-777-0273

Ytrap #819, forever in my prayers.
Arch, this Bud is for you..
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

I just checked the Illinois Secretary of State's website and according to the Illinois Motorcycle Operator Manual's list of required motorcycle equipment:

Muffler — A muffler that is in
constant operation and properly
maintained to prevent any
excessive or unusual noise is
required. Modification of an
exhaust system for the purpose of
increasing the noise level is
prohibited by law.

It seems to me this leaves quite a bit of room for interpretation. Does anyone know what constitutes 'excessive or unusual' noise?
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm always learning......

Sportbike: 2k14 FLHXS, 1981 FXE, 1949 HD EL Panhead, Yami PW80
Years Riding: Long, long, long, long, long time.
How you found us: GPS

It cracks me up how people move into the DOWNTOWN area of one of the largest cities in the country and expect to live a quiet lifestyle. Like moving in next to an airport and complaining about the airplane noise. Please refer to the fourth line in my signature.

Synthetic Lifelike Organism Responsible for Observation and Logical Learning - SLOROLL

Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over. Zappa 1974

And I said....."Look here brother, who you jiving with that cosmik debris? Now is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho? Zappa 1974
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 11:42 AM
King Nothing

Sportbike: I ride Ur Mom
Years Riding: As long as Ive known Ur Mom
How you found us: u found me

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6Diver
It seems to me this leaves quite a bit of room for interpretation. Does anyone know what constitutes 'excessive or unusual' noise?
The law is uninterpretable so the popo can issue tickets on a whim. The bottom line is that most Harley's are louder than sportbikes, they just use the law to single us out cause they're upset that so many sportbike riders elude the police and get away. For those of us that abide by the law its just something we have to live with thanks to the irresponsible riders that give us a bad image.

If those guys cruising the city at night would shift outta first gear, we wouldnt hear about this nonsense.

"When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve your situation, but it will end the suspense."

Last edited by Kegger; 09-26-2005 at 11:44 AM.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 11:42 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerChicKJ
Where do you sign up for ABATE?
www.chicagoabate.org meets the 3rd wednesday of every month

www.abate-il.org main state website

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 11:45 AM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
Here is a can of worms. What is so wrong with what this guy is saying?

Why should I have to hear my neighbor's Harley fire up at 8am when I went to bed at 4am. I love a nice deep sounding exhaust as much as everyone but some people take it too far. I would like to see ALL bikes prosecuted the same for sound violations, not just sportbikes but cruisers including Harleys.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 12:36 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

Quote:

+1

I live right by the Ohio St. feeder ramp and some nights I think it'd be quieter on the front straight at Road America... I don't have any problem with them ticketing. 95% of the people riding around with aftermarket pipes (on ANY bike) are just squids and posers anyway.

I won't loose sleep over their right to look/sound cool.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 01:13 PM

Sportbike: 99 Honda CBR600F4
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: Honda Sportsbike Network

I'm curious about those of us that bought bikes from a dealer, haven't modified the exhaust... but the muffler on it isn't stock. If I get a ticket, can I send the bike back to the dealer for selling me a vehicle that violated state law?
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 01:19 PM
Let's Ride!!!

Sportbike: '2001 CBR1100XX
Years Riding: 14
How you found us: Link

ABATE has been confronting this one for about 6 months now. Basically, Natarus is spouting his noise policies again, and I guess his constiuents support him. ABATE was actually trying to work with Natarus in getting the word out to all motorcyclists to keep the sound down in residential areas. Apparently, that hasn't been good enough for him.

My advice to anyone who gets a ticket is to FIGHT IT! If they write you up for loud pipes or a noise violation, they don't have a leg to stand on. If the cops are actually carrying decibel meters, they would have to know how to operate it, what the law actually states for decibel readings including what dB at what distance at what speed, and proof of calibration. Basically, a documentation nightmare. All burden of proof on the officer. What they can get you on is aftermarket equipment.

I unfortunately don't remember the particulars of how exactly they're prosecuting, but this was brought up at the Chicago ABATE's meeting last week and they went into the details of how the city is enforcing it.

There are only two ways anyone here can fight Naturus and any law he passes.
1) If you live in the 42nd ward, vote him out of office. Contact everyone in your area, especially those that depend on TV to let them know what is going on, and let them know what is really happening and the string of other things he's been trying to pass.
2) If you do not live in the 42nd ward, or even if you do, check out ABATE. Go to a local chapter general meeting in your area and find out what they're all about and how you can fight Natarus or any motorcycle laws that you disagree with. They are usually the first to know about legislature in the works and the first to do anything about it. They also have a strong presence in Springfield.

Only together can we stop the government from legislating us into oblivion. Not one of us can do it alone. Unless you're Daley.

Peace.

... and away we go.....

FlyBy
  • Let those that Ride Decide!
  • Gun Control is not Crime Control!

Last edited by flyby; 09-26-2005 at 01:44 PM.
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 02:14 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Well heres one about teh fed reg...

Quote:
In 1972, Congress passed the federal Noise Control Act, which required the Environmental Protection Agency to set noise standards for a number of products. It took several years, but the EPA eventually wrote rules affecting all new motorcycles sold in the U.S. beginning in 1983.

Those regulations, which still stand today, required that all streetbikes be limited to 83 decibels at that time, with a stricter, 80-decibel limit imposed beginning in 1986 (see “What Is a Decibel,” right).

That sounds like a clear-cut regulation, but there are serious complications resulting from the way motorcycles are tested for compliance with that standard.

The EPA specifies a “ride-by” test, in which a bike is ridden—with the throttle wide open and the bike accelerating—past a sound meter located 50 feet away. The regulation specifies exactly how the test must be conducted, right down to the dimensions of the test facility.

Motorcycle manufacturers must certify that their bikes meet the federal standard before they can be sold in the U.S. And if you look at a bike with a stock exhaust system, you’ll find that certification stamped right on the muffler.

But let’s say your stock muffler wears out, or it’s damaged in a crash, or you just want to replace it. What are your options?

Under the federal law, probably none. You can buy the exact same part that originally came on the bike or nothing.

That’s because the federal law requires motorcycle exhaust systems to be certified for every year and every model of bike the muffler is designed to fit. So if an exhaust-system company wants to sell a muffler for, say, sportbikes, it has to rent an EPA-certified test facility, hire a certified technician, then show up with one of every year and every model bike the muffler is designed for so it can run tests on dozens of machines over several days. For a company trying to eke out a profit from a small niche in the motorcycle industry, that’s an enormous expense.

As a result, almost none of the aftermarket pipes and mufflers sold in the U.S.—including some sold by motorcycle manufacturers themselves—meet EPA requirements. And regardless of whether they’re straight pipes or quiet replacements, they’re all technically illegal.

The problem is more complicated from a law-enforcement perspective. Theoretically, a police officer could enforce the federal regulation by looking for the certification stamp on the muffler. But let’s say an owner drills holes in the internal baffles or, over time, the baffles fail, resulting in more noise.

Either way, the stamped certification only means that this muffler originally complied with federal standards. To find out if it still complies, the city would have to impound the bike and run it through a full EPA test, something that is, for all practical purposes, impossible. Meanwhile, a rider on a bike with a fully functioning aftermarket muffler that does meet the EPA sound standard is technically in violation of federal law for not having a muffler with a certification stamp.
http://home.ama-cycle.org/membersonl..._dl.asp?id=367
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 03:24 PM
" It Time To Ride "

Sportbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Years Riding: 20+
How you found us: Long search for motorcycle clubs online

Send a message via MSN to Justmax
Hey change the plate on exhaust to the factory.

US MARINE CORP
"Semper Fi''

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 03:25 PM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justmax
Hey change the plate on exhaust to the factory.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 03:37 PM
six foot twenty.

Sportbike: '01 SV street, '00 SV track, '75 Bultaco Alpina
Years Riding: uh huh.
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to djamps Send a message via Yahoo to djamps
Quote:
+100

There's a huge difference between having an aftermarket pipe and riding responsibly, and having a pipe and feeling the need to rev the crap out of it at every block.

loud pipes save lives... maybe.... but unnecessary revving DEFINITELY pisses people off.. even other motorcyclists.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 04:04 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
+1

I live right by the Ohio St. feeder ramp and some nights I think it'd be quieter on the front straight at Road America... I don't have any problem with them ticketing. 95% of the people riding around with aftermarket pipes (on ANY bike) are just squids and posers anyway.

I won't loose sleep over their right to look/sound cool.
Yeah but that Ohio Exit Ramp off 94 West is sooooooooo nice and smooth and then it just opens up

Not to mention if you are on 94 E and exit to Ohio - GOD I love that little right and then AWSOME left hander then back to a little right - If traffic is not an issue - That is one of my favs

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug
Yeah but that Ohio Exit Ramp off 94 West is sooooooooo nice and smooth and then it just opens up

Not to mention if you are on 94 E and exit to Ohio - GOD I love that little right and then AWSOME left hander then back to a little right - If traffic is not an issue - That is one of my favs
I didn't say I don't understand WHY everyone feels the need to go apeshit there, I'm just saying that I understand WHY people complain about it!

Still:

It's a helluva lot quieter when I blow through there with my stocker pipe than it is when Mr. "Check out my sweet D&D" comes pinging through there in first gear....

<---- Patrick

post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 04:19 PM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
+plus a quiet bike zipping away with the front wheel lofting in the air is a much stronger statement than some loud ass rat bike.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 04:21 PM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
I didn't say I don't understand WHY everyone feels the need to go apeshit there, I'm just saying that I understand WHY people complain about it!

Still:

It's a helluva lot quieter when I blow through there with my stocker pipe than it is when Mr. "Check out my sweet D&D" comes pinging through there in first gear....
I live on Clark tween Elm and Maple so every nice night, every CEO Hardley Guy likes to ride thru the Viagra Triangle and they always loop back through, down Clark street - Not to mention being close to LaSalle where every squid from the burbs thinks it is a dragstrip, so I can relate.

And btw, it's a Yosh, not a D&D

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug

And btw, it's a Yosh, not a D&D

Oh don't worry, I live in that glass house too. My old SV with the full Yosh would set off car alarms all the way down the street. My roommates used to know I was coming home when they'd see a row of flashing lights in the distance slowly getting closer to the house!

Only more recently have I become aquainted with the other side of the fence. I'm a bit more sympathetic these days I guess.

<---- Patrick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode