College Help - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

College Help

Ok, so I went into the military after high school instead of college and am playing catch up now while working full time. I am finally ready to transfer to a University to complete my 4 year degree...this is where I am now lost. I haven't really decided what to get my degree in yet but I am pretty sure it will be something general like Business Administration with a minor in Communications. So I was hoping some of you would be able to shed a little light and suggest a college amd maybe provide some insight on the offered degree program. My choices for universities are limited to the selection listed below so please only comment on these particular universities and the degree programs they offer. Thanks in advance!

1. Chicago State University
2. Eastern Illinois University
3. Governors State University
4. Illinois State University
5. Northeastern Illinois University
6. Northern Illinois University
7. Southern Illinois University
8. University of Illinois Chicago
9. University of Illinois Urbana/Champaign
10. Western Illinois University
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 08:56 PM

Sportbike: 2002 kawi RIP 2001 YZF R1 RIP sold my 99 R6 now I gots me a 05 R1 and I made it my bitch.
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: ...

#4 Illinois State Baby!

ISU has great business, teaching, and recreation programs...
ISU is not very greek- so you are not pressured to join a sorority like other colleges...its pretty affordable and the people are mellow.
The Quad is beautiful and you will never walk more than a mile to class (if you chose dorm) the buildings surround quad, apartments surround the school buildings...and then there are the bars! Aw man I miss college...can I come with you?
Real world sucks.

good luck!

Jessica

Last edited by jessica anne; 09-27-2005 at 08:57 PM. Reason: woopsies
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica anne
ISU has great business, teaching, and recreation programs...
ISU is not very greek- so you are not pressured to join a sorority like other colleges...its pretty affordable and the people are mellow.
The Quad is beautiful and you will never walk more than a mile to class (if you chose dorm) the buildings surround quad, apartments surround the school buildings...and then there are the bars! Aw man I miss college...can I come with you?
Real world sucks.

good luck!

Jessica
I'd love the company especially if you are good at history
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 09:58 PM

History and geography were always my favorite subjects
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 10:11 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

I'm at NIU now, just PM me if you have any specific questions about the university.

The business school is top notch, one of the best in the country.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 10:12 PM

I spent four years at EIU. They have a very hard Business school, but it carries a lot of weight from what I hear. The business classes I had to take really sucked ass and the teachers were dicks. I got a degree in Industrial Tech. I really liked my classes and it was something I wanted to learn about. My teachers were pretty good for the most part.

The school is cheap for sure. The military will cover all except about $5-800 a semester. Books are included in tuition since you rent them. The town is pretty cheap, well it's really cheap compared to Chicago. You can find a decent place for $400 a month.

I had a damn good time down there. I am glad to be gone though. There are a lot of bars and a lot of people that like to drink. My last semster we spent practically every night at the bar and there was always someone there. Drinking is about the only thing the town has to offer. Jobs are non-existant, but you can get by on the GI Bill. I did at least.

The campus is about five blocks long and two blocks wide with all the classes in that area. Parking sucks, but with the bike you can park pretty close. They are always doing construction, so get use to that.

Charleston is a small town with a lot of Police (campus, city and state). There aren't any roads to ride, well a few west of town, but nothing spectacular. They are a few that ride, but no one ever stops or turns around to ride with you. I met a small group of people to ride with, but they were pretty pathetic. They wanted to stunt all the time, but really sucked at it. Plus they don't understand its a bad idea to ride a wheelie down the main street.

If you don't like Greek, then EIU might not be the best decision. They are so big into that shit and it drove me nuts. But they have their own area away from campus so you don't see them every minute of the day.

I lived right outside Bloomington/Normal and I know a fair bit about ISU. We used to party there all the time. EIU is far better at drinking and having a good time than ISU. Bloomington has a lot more to offer. Better roads to ride, more to do and less cops (Don't screw around in Normal though, those guys are dicks.) There are some guys that stunt outside of B-town. I have never ridin with them, but judging by the rubber they leave on the road they know what they are doing.

I spent some time at WIU too. They party hard over there. There are some kick ass bars around the square. You have to walk to all the bars and it's a good distance, but they are worth it. Lots of good roads to ride. I don't know much about the school. One of my friends made it through there, so it must be easy (He's an idiot).

Want to know anything else?

Last edited by Tiller; 09-27-2005 at 10:17 PM.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 10:21 PM

Sportbike: 2002 kawi RIP 2001 YZF R1 RIP sold my 99 R6 now I gots me a 05 R1 and I made it my bitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzx9r
I'm at NIU now, just PM me if you have any specific questions about the university.

The business school is top notch, one of the best in the country.
AGREED! I visited NIU almost every weekend...awesome good times there, excellent business school- everyone I know that graduated in business is making hella cash...teachers can be a bit aggravating I hear (language barriers)
And NIU has Molly's where you can ride the rail! Done that twice and damn proud. (30 bux, 144 ounces of beer, win a Tshirt when yer done and DONE)
And its close so you can come home in an hour, compared to ISU (two hour trip)....
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 10:23 PM

Tiller, your avatar is awesome -- that picture is so crisp even though the quality had to get knocked down to fit.

I have some friends at ISU, they like it, NIU as well. I go to U of Iowa right now, and there Biz school just got ranked #8 in the nation and that's my major so I'm pleased. Great university that's often academically overlooked because we just party so damn hard.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 10:25 PM

"EIU is far better at drinking and having a good time than ISU. Bloomington has a lot more to offer...."

From what I can remember at ISU we partied damn hard! I suddenly recall a pub crawl that I was in on, I dont remember it but I woke up in my apartment hallway in my undies screaming for water.

ISU has Eastland Mall for the ladies and Club 110 for the guys who like the young ladies who go to eastland mall. Dont forget The Pub and cheeseballs.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 10:55 PM

Having lived in both locations, I think I offer a better opinion on the drinking subject.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
ISU and NIU have good business schools... SIU is where I went and it is more geared towards aviation. Also, it's not quite the party school that everyone makes it out to be.

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 11:07 PM

Sportbike: Squat
Years Riding: More then one hands worth.
How you found us: Your Mother

Send a message via AIM to MM Racing
UIC baby its the only way to fly. I worked together with some business students and they said they enjoyed the classes and the professors quite a bit there.

Ian
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 12:46 AM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

Quote:
Originally Posted by meech
something general like Business Administration with a minor in Communications.
Best business school on the list = UIUC
Best communication program = UIUC

Champaign all the way. I got a comm degree with a minor in business. Really, the comm program there is one of the best in the country.

You are best off going ot the best named school you can get into. And at these prices, you can't beat UIUC. If you need help with the app, let me know.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 01:14 AM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_ag
Best business school on the list = UIUC
Best communication program = UIUC

Champaign all the way. I got a comm degree with a minor in business. Really, the comm program there is one of the best in the country.

You are best off going ot the best named school you can get into. And at these prices, you can't beat UIUC. If you need help with the app, let me know.
I didn't like UIUC, but my major was Math and Computer Science. I do not know about their business school, but if it is anything like their engineering classes, there will be little teaching. Mainly, here is the book, here are homework problems, these are the test dates, here is the final. The positive like ill_ag said is that it is one of the cheaper schools.

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 11:25 AM

Sportbike: Moto Guzzi V-11 sport
Years Riding: since 1998
How you found us: .

U of I Urbana..the other schools are ok, but U of I takes top rank on a resume IMHO.

Look, I can appreciate this. I was young too, I felt just like you. Hated authority, hated all my bosses, thought they were full of shit. Look, it's like they say, if you're not a rebel by the age of 20, you got no heart, but if you haven't turned establishment by 30, you've got no brains. Because there are no story-book romances, no fairy-tale endings. So before you run out and change the world, ask yourself, "What do you really want?"
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 11:35 AM

For a business program, I would recommend Northern, UIC or UIUC. However, UIC is notorious for problems with getting classes and having teachers that speak poor English. I've had three friends go through UIC and all of them had those kinds of problems.

UIUC is hella far away but it's a great school. My little brother just started there this year. He thinks he wants to be either a dentist, veternarian or a forensic scientist.

Northern is probably a good mix or compromise school. It's very close but it still has a very strong business program. Recruiters are very confident of the program at Northern.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 11:40 AM

Sportbike: None for now
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: google

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditCPA
U of I Urbana..the other schools are ok, but U of I takes top rank on a resume IMHO.
+1, UIUC is the biggest name by far. What you want out of the experience is a different matter - I'd leave drinking out of the decision though
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 12:09 PM
shhhhhhhhh!

Sportbike: suzuki
Years Riding: yesterday
How you found us: Nabisco

Join the Big Ten.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 12:18 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
It is cheaper to park at Northeastern than it is at UIC. Remember you get outof it what you put into it. I have worked with people that had MBAs from NU and they were not fit to be entry level clerks. I went the same route and chose Northeastern because the VA department was more helpful
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 12:57 PM

UIUC definitely. One of the best state schools in the country. I spent the best years of my life in Champaign.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 01:04 PM

My .02

If you want, you can get a quality education at any of these schools. All of these schools exist because they offer different things to different people.

Depends upon what you are looking for...

If you want a school with the best reputation - that's U of I (it's in a different tier compared to ALL the others), but it is also BIG and difficult to get into (depending upon your major), and more expensive.

If you like city living better than rural, you don't want to go to Western, go to Circle.

If you need to work while at school, it's better to be in/near Chicago than to try and get a student job in a small town like Macomb - and if you go home to Chicago for the summer you need a different summer job.

Do you want to play sports, pledge a greek house, do you want to live on campus, off campus ??? There is a lot more to the college experience than just what classes you take.

The BEST school for someone else, may not be the best school for you.

Also, keep in mind that if you relocate to California, do you think that anyone from CA knows the difference between any of the schools you named on your list (other than U of I)?

To determine the level of your fellow students, look at the admissions requirements (ACT scores, tuition costs, etc.).

Good Luck.

2011 Suzuki GSXR750
2001 Suzuki GSXR600
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 01:08 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

There is something to be said for going someplace where you have to pack up your stuff and move there, and you aren't commuting every day. Now, it's not like you don't have the life experience of going away from home.....but still, a school that's at least 2 hours away is a good thing.

You will do well wherever you go-- mostly because you WANT to go. However, if you are really looking for a career that just grows and grows every year and gives you the most opportunities possible, go for a name and a rank. Not because other schools aren't good, but because there are other people out there who care-- and those people will be the ones hiring you.

I live out of state, and I still get mileage out of my U of I degree.
It impresses every employer I interview with, and I live in a state that lives and breathes UT and A&M.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 01:15 PM

Sportbike: GSX-R
Years Riding: 4 years
How you found us: Strats

It really depends on yourself. Each school has it's benefits. I hear that EIU and ISU are good schools for becoming a school teacher. I hear NIU has a hell of an accounting program. I hear UIC is a well rounded school but emphazises on medical practice. But from the list you posted, UIUC is the best one on paper and in person. I graduated from UIUC in 2002 and it has opened alot of doors for me lately, especially since they have been in the news so much this past year (basketball). If you want a more personal one to one teaching environment, than I would defenitly suggest one of the directional schools, (Northern, Eastern, Western, Southern, and even ISU. They are smaller schools. If you want city living then definetly Circle (UIC). But if you want to go balls out, I would go with UIUC. Best education for your money. I know that UIUC is #3 in Engineering and i think #2 in Accounting in the NATION. Champaign's campus is beutiful, and the night life is da shizznet. I think fraternities were first started @ UIUC. I sound like a recruiter for UIUC. I'll stop now.....it's just so hard

"Blood of a slave, Heart of a king."--Nasir Jones
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 01:16 PM

Hey, were is the spell check button?

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Right now I have my own house, work full time, and go to school part time so sororities, partying, and moving away from "home" does not affect my decision at all. What's most important to me is going to an accredited school with a good name and getting a dam good degree. I take school quite seriously and have a 3.9 GPA as of now along with being on the Honors Society and Dean's List. I guess I have pretty much narrowed it down to UIUC, UIC, and Northern. Northern is the best for me location wise because I really would love to stay in Naperville and they have a Naperville campus right there. It scares me to hear about the language barrier at UIC because I have heard that a lot now. I would LOVE to go to UIUC but they only thing that holds me back is the distance. I am going to go down there this November and see what they offer in regards to distance learning programs...hopefully I can get most of my classes out of the way via internet and satellite course
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
i party'd my way right out of UofI though I'd still highly recommend it, as long as you can control yourself and dont schedule any classes before 10am.

Chris
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 02:32 PM

Meech, my .02 if distance is an issue i wouldn't attend uiuc. If you do decide to go there, Champaign gulps you right up. The atmosphere around there makes you feel like uiuc is the center of the world and the surrounding corn fields block out reality. If you have things pending at home, ie mortgage, family, it will be rough. Rural college towns engulf you.

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 03:47 PM
vroom vroom

Sportbike: '05 Z750S
Years Riding: 10 yrs
How you found us: Katanaplanet

Northern sure sounds like a good fit. UIUC is a great school and the name recognition is great when looking for employment, but in certain fields NIU is good and business is one of them. Good luck.

-Mike
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Listen to Motley Crue

Sportbike: POSER
Years Riding: 3 Years
How you found us: Shadrach

Don't waste your time with Business Admin. unless you attend on going to grad school for an MBA right away. If you just plan on getting a B.S. get it in Business Mgmt or marekting..

N.I.U

www.niu.edu

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode