need help picking out a new computer! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

need help picking out a new computer!

so im giving my wife my compaq to do her work stuff on, and i need a new computer. i can tell you the ones i dont want. emachine,hp, but what about the rest. i will be using it mostly for video,picture,surfin, and some simple web page stuff.
any input would be greatly appreciated! speed is important and so is reliabilty.

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 08:13 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Simple Build your own.

Built this one myself. Way cheaper than any comparable system that BEst Buy, Circuit City or American TV had for sale. The closest comparable one was a HP for $2400. I put $1100 into this one. No proprietary programs to deal with or 'special' enhancements that screw you up (Comcrap comes to mind on that one).

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 08:20 PM
Ron
Workin' up to the track

Sportbike: In between bikes right now
Years Riding: 15
How you found us: don't remember

Check out Consumer Reports website, you used to be able to buy just the report you are interested in for a very reasonable price.

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.

We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies, I think the soul of America dies with it.

- Edward R. Murrow
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 08:24 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

I just got my new DELL up and running this weekend. No complaints at all. Got my new photo printer up and running today.. a few complaints but not many...so far...

I took everyones advice 2 weeks ago and went with DELL.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 09:15 PM
oso

I'll second the previous posts. Building your own is by far the cheapest way to go; I built both of mine. But if you don't feel up to that, my work computer is a Dell and I have no complaints.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Jim
Tgf Og

i get a discount through work on dells something like 10% and i like they come with the flat screen(thin monitor). if i go with one of there packages what should i look for?is 80gig good enough? i dont need the printer but it comes with there packages so who knows. oh and is there any compatiblity issues? will my cannon printer and scanner work with a dell? i thought i heard something like hp wont work with compaq and visa versa?

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 10:16 PM

My $.02

Jim,

As a certified computer geek, I thought I'd give ya my advice. Don't worry my feelings won't be hurt if you don't take it .

Yes building your own computer is likely a cheap way to go, but I would only recommend that uber-geeks do this. The only reason that I build my own is that I know the insides of a computer like y'all know the insides of a motorcycle engine (very well I would assume). Now if you're quite proficient with computer hardware and software, by all means build your own! The one MAJOR downfall to building your own is warranty. With a company like Dell (my recommendation) you get a great (usually in-home) warranty for 2-3 years... far past what most computer places will warranty parts for. Plus, instead of you having to RMA parts back to the manufacturer, (if my hard drive goes bad, I need to send it back to IBM myself and wait a few weeks for a replacement) Dell will take care of all that for you. The fact that you get a 10% discount from work is huge too. I would go ahead and get a Dell.

In terms of hardware specs... my suggestion is to go with a Pentium-4... get a 2.26 or a 2.54GHz chip with around 512MB of RAM (or more). 80GB hard drives are nice... that should hold plenty of MP3s and whatnot. Make sure you get a CD burner too... most of the systems come with one anyway. Flat screens are also amazing... my buddy just got a dell with a 20.1" flat screen... it's beautiful (but EXPENSIVE). Don't get anything less than a 17" or you'll be kicking yourself later.

Your old printer and scanner should work... but I would recommend getting a USB printer and scanner (USB is the interface through which the peripherals hook up to the computer). It's much easier to hook up and Dell usually has great deals on peripherals when you buy a computer through them. If you have any other questions on the specs I'd be happy to help out.

Hope this helps!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 10:18 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

You dont have to buy a printer package. I deleted that when I bought online and it gave me like a $60 credit or something.

I havent had any capatability issues although I found out that printers these days use USB cables instead of the older printer cables. Another $35 bucks.

80 gig is more than enough for a home computer. Its probably upgradeable to 120 or more.

And I dont think my scanner will work because it has the old printer cable plug, unless theres such thing as a converter ? Is there ? I had to bypass my scanner for now and go directly to the back of the computer.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 12:42 AM
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

Video, pictures, and surfing?

I never thought I'd say this.... but have you considered a Mac?Just for the simple fact that they are supposed to be PRIMO for pics and video.

I'm a hardcore PC guy, don't get me wrong... but since all I do is video, pics, MP3s, and surfing (just like you) I've been heavily contemplating a new Mac over a new PC myself. If anything, just for curiosity's sake. I guess that new Mac OS-X is supposed to be pretty trick as well.

Just an idea.

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 08:27 AM

Sportbike: Trek 2100 Baby!!!!
Years Riding: Since I was a kid
How you found us: Been here for a while

Long Novel

I don't know if this helps you, but I've tried most major brands out there as well as made my own computer and tinkered around on a Mac.

Omni is correct in saying that the Mac is designed for the needs you stated, but there are several drawbacks you must deal with. There is a learning curve for someone who is used to be in a Windows based OS. Software is harder to find and more expensive. You have a lot fewer friends you can call who have experience in a Mac for help. Mac support is average when it comes to hardware (At least in my case). Unless you are a graphics whore there is really no need for a Mac.

Now building a computer is the cheapest route and guarantees you have no bottlenecks in your system because you will have bought top of the line components throughout for the same price or less than you buy at a store / online. But Stydie was 100% correct in saying you sacrifice support. I had a power issue with my system that kept it from booting up after a long usage sesion with a short down time. Anyway to make a long story short after spending hours scratching my head with the problem I had made a decision that it could have been any number of components failing, and it could have gotten very expensive to fix if I did not replace the right one. So in my warped mind, it became cheaper to replace my whole system than to troubleshoot the homemade one. Hell my time and sanity were not worth the savings of a homemade system. So unless you are a computer geek and like that sort of challenge stay away from building your own. With todays prices it is just not worth it.

Now to purchase a new unit stick with either a Dell or a Gateway. If you get into heavy gaming, Gateway will configure and price out a little better than a Dell. But for you're needs a Dell will probably be the most cost efficent, best performer. I have had five of them and only one has giving a little trouble, I thing it is Windows ME related.

A final note to this long arse reply, be careful with the purchase of a flat screen over a CRT monitor. They are certainly cool but you have to know that in order to get a crystal clear picture you need to pump up your resolution to the highest possible settings for that particular monitor or you will be dissapointed. What that means is that no matter how big the screen, the text size is small. I have a 20.1 NEC and I still need my glasses. So if space is not an issue stick with a regular CRT monitor and save a few bucks.

If you do decide Dell, configure the same unit on both the Home Buyer and the Small Buisness Buyer sections of the Web Site. Depending on youre choices and the specials, I've have saved anywhere from $50 to $150 on the same system just by picking the right buyers section.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Jim
Tgf Og

Yeah i heard that about mac's but i use excel and word and powerpoint often also, i know they have there version of it but i'd be more comfortable with windows im about to see what my discount is!

GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JimGoFast
Yeah i heard that about mac's but i use excel and word and powerpoint often also, i know they have there version of it but i'd be more comfortable with windows im about to see what my discount is!
Yeah def go with a PC. You'll save a shitload of money and have quite a bit more software to choose from.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 10:19 AM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: SBN

One thing to consider Jim is the Software. Yes it is way cheaper to build your own system. BUT.... you also need to factor in the software. A prepackaged such as Dell will come preloaded with your OS and other little goodies and everything is already configured. Ready to go. But you build your own, you will need to set everything up and the software tends to get pricey. If you already have the software this is not a prob.

I would recommend going with a DELL. I hear nothing but good stuff from them now and they have some good machines. I have a Sony, but that was purley an economic issue with the Sony points on the credit card.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 11:54 AM

Sportbike: 06 CBR600RR
Years Riding: bought my first street bike in 2000

you gotta get a Dell, DUDE!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 11:08 PM

Sportbike: Suzuki Bandit 400, Suzuki Intruder Volusia
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: A search engine long, long ago

Send a message via AIM to Volkl42
Build your own. With parts online being sometimes half the cost of the retail stores, it is much much cheaper. www.pricewatch.com It's rather straight forward, I think, but I have never built my own. I helped my roommate build his which was solely for modeling [animation] He got it for half the cost of a store bought model. I have upgraded the bejesus out of my HP. Next time, I def. am building my own.

Hi, my name is Matt, and I have a speeding problem
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 11:11 PM

Sportbike: Suzuki Bandit 400, Suzuki Intruder Volusia
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: A search engine long, long ago

Send a message via AIM to Volkl42
Oh yea, and get a Mac if you like having your computer crash on you and don't plan on upgrading.

Hi, my name is Matt, and I have a speeding problem
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 10:49 AM
Who's faster Lupi

Sportbike: 2004 ZX10R & 2005 CRF50
Years Riding: 20

another site to source out your parts is Price Scan its like price watch that was listed 2 posts up.

NESBA #456 Intermediate
Always 1 step ahead of Lupi. 1:24:7 BHF
And 1 step behind Kimmy

"SoB gets to spend yet ANOTHER season faster than me." -LUPI-
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 10:56 PM
Please attend carefully..

Sportbike: 2000 ZX6R (the green one!)
Years Riding: 2000
How you found us: I've been here a while...

Anybody got any advice on laptops? This is my first foray into this machine. My main use is working from home as well as chatting with youse guys here. So reliability and the software that comes with it (excel, etc.) that I may NOT be able to get through work are my primary concerns.

I know my company sent out something about a discount, but with Compaq. Out PCs at the office are Compaq, no problems so far.

I already got BroBill's advice, and will check around the office this week for advice from the laptop users and the info center.

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - JP2

"Life is just a place where we spend time between games" - former Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero

"everyone's a nutjob, some just have more restraint than others" - EndlessRR
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 11:28 PM

Sportbike: Trek 2100 Baby!!!!
Years Riding: Since I was a kid
How you found us: Been here for a while

The only advice I can offer is get the lightest one you can afford with a medium size screen 14.4 or something. Unless it will be your only computer, desktop replacement, don't go crazy. The prices can get out of hand quickly for extras you probably will never use as you travel with it.

I have had a Compaq and a Dell. The Compaq's keyboard began to fall apart after about two years of use. The Dell is still running strong but slow now after about four years, the serial port is broken now though.

Buy what you want up front, because there is little that can be upgraded besides software.

I am getting to the point that computers are like women, they are great at first, but after a while you just have to let them go for the newer younger model that is less maintenance with higher output.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 12:29 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Aggggggggghhhhhhh, I hate all freaking laptops, all big pieces of crap. I gave up on laptops back in 96 after I went thru 3 IBM Thinkpads and a Compaq. Never buy a laptop, let your company buy them for you.

Rick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode