Close Call...Legal advise and/or opinions please - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
RIDER SEARCHING FOR A RID

Sportbike: '02 NINJA ZX9R, WTB '98 & up ZX9R
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: SEARCH ENGINE

Send a message via Yahoo to ECLIPSE
Close Call...Legal advise and/or opinions please

I'm seeking advise & opinions on a situation my family & I experienced a few days ago. No smart a$$ comments please as this is serious to myself & family. If any of you have any knowledge, experience, or can point me in the right direction, I thank you in advance.

The situation:

Last Thursday evening we move into our new apt. A house converted into a two-unit dwelling. A little chilly that night so I turned heat on. When I wake up the next morning to get kids ready for school two are complaining of headache. Of course they've done this b4 to get out of going but not more than one at a time. I also had a headache but chalked it up to being up & down during the night with the baby. My wife hears what's going on & sits up. As soon as she does this her head starts pounding. Then we ask the eldest & she too has a headache.

We get in the car & proceed to the hospital. As I'm registering us the baby starts vomiting profusely. Not a spit up as baby's do, but similar to having too many at the bar. We get tested & turns out the entire family has CO poisoning. We spend hours there on oxygen b4 having to be transferred by ambulance to another hospital for hyperbarometric treatment. Prior to doing this my 6 mo has to undergo emergency surgery to insert tubes in her ear canal to equalize pressure that we'd experience in the chamber.

My wife spent 1 hr, my son 3 hr, myself 3hr, & my baby 4 hrs in this chamber. The two girls levels had dropped and they were'nt required to undergo the same treatment.

Needless to say this was an all day ordeal. As we were leaving, the family in the upstairs apt was coming in for same treatment. After leaving the hospital I spoke with the landlady & she informed me the heating/cooling contractor was working in the basement the previous day & did not close or cap off something. Anyway they came out & corrected what they hadn't done & the fire dept checked CO levels also & ok'd apt for re-entry. The landlady is gonna turn this in to her insurance to take care of medical bills & other expenses. She says there are CO detectors but when we did the walk-thru she pointed out fire detectors but did not mention they were supposedly CO detectors also.

My question is are we entitled to any type of punitive damages above & beyond medical bills. I'm not looking for this gigantic payoff but I'm pretty pissed that we've had to endure this. Especially the baby! A couple of atty's I've talked to doesn't deem it worth their time 'cause the payout wouldn't fill THEIR pocket enough.

So give me you advise, opinions, atty name & # if licensed in IN.

ZX9 - THE LEGEND LIVES ON!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Registered Abuser

Sportbike: ATK605,CR250,VTX
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: S.C.M.O.D.S.

first off, I'm glad you and your family are OK. second off - HOLY SHIT! You all could have died! Wow. Not cool.
So the gas co. fouled up AND the landlords KNEW about it? Double payoff I'd say. You should get full medical, lost wages and punative damages.

Just my $.02

Life has no instruction manual. Parts and labor can be impossible to find. Many go down the road with parts that are in need of service. A breakdown is eventual.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

The gas co. wasn't involved. There was a heating/cooling contractor that neglected to turn off whatever was needed. The landlord wasn't aware til I left her a vm to notify the family upstairs.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:13 PM
One day at a time

Sportbike: BIKELESS!
Years Riding: 5yrs
How you found us: member: rdrash

I too, am gald to hear you and your family will be alright.

As far as a law suite of any kind, sure you could but would it be worth it? Consider the time, energy and effort let alone the mulah it would cost you....
If the time is worth it to you, i'd say go for it. (please note that I am not in any way downplaying what happened.)
As you probably already know, I can't see you getting millions! (o.k. outragous number but you get my point.)
Otherwise, feel blessed that you and your family are ok and that someone special was watching over your family during this unfortunate incident. After reading this, I for one, went to go check my detectors.

Hopefully someone over there realized what you and your family went through and you received an apology. If not, I'd be VERY PISSED TOO!

my .02

EDIT: IMO if there is permanent health damages then absolutly litigate

"The first attempt is always the most difficult."

Last edited by geewiz; 10-03-2005 at 09:16 PM.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Oh I'm very thankful! And I'm not looking to retire b/c of this. Just pissed 'cause it seems like its turning into "no harm no foul."

post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Puppy Love!

Sportbike: 05' Gixxer 6
Years Riding: Grew up in the dirt, going on my 7th season on the street..
How you found us: Homer Simpson

Send a message via AIM to Gixx Send a message via Yahoo to Gixx
OMG!! Wow that could have been really serious....not saying it wasn't, but thank god you and your family are okay. I would definitely call the contractor and talk to the guy and give him an ear full! That is totally BS and a mistake that should NOT be happening! I would definitely think you would be entitled to lost wages and punative damages!

KJ

Quote:
I'm here to chew some bubble gum, and kick some ass.......and I'm all out of bubblegum!!
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:19 PM
One day at a time

Sportbike: BIKELESS!
Years Riding: 5yrs
How you found us: member: rdrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECLIPSE9R
Just pissed 'cause it seems like its turning into "no harm no foul."

Understandable. Very understandable. Weigh your options. Go with your gut.

"The first attempt is always the most difficult."
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:21 PM
CLSB SuperHero

Sportbike: None right now
Years Riding: since '95
How you found us: friend

Punitive damages? No way you could recover punitive damages. Punitive damages are very very very rarely given in lawsuits. You may be thinking of compensatory damges. 2 completely types of damges.

You could try, you probably wouldn't get to much from it. Would it be worth your time to go thru the depositions of yourself, your wife and potentially your kids? As well as numerous pre-trials, and possibly an arbitration which would more then likely be rejected. If it is, then I would say give it a shot.

Life is too short to ride anything but an R1

In memory of FastBlueR1...RIP

Last edited by TerminatorR1; 10-03-2005 at 09:25 PM.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
holy hell, thank god you're all OK. If it were me I'd thank the landlord for making sure all the costs are covered, i'd also thank them for the 2 months free rent they gave you for your troubles. Emphasis on that second part.

Trying to sue for anything is probably more trouble than its worth, and you sound like a level headed guy. I think a couple months free rent thrown your way as an act of goodwill is the least they can do.

Chris
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:26 PM

You have a good case for some major $$$. You can sue the landlord/lady for no Carbon Monoxide detectors and the contractor for doing something stuppid. Most of all pain and suffering. I'm glad your kids are ok. Surely you will find a good lawyer that will take your case . Good Luck
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:27 PM
CLSB SuperHero

Just to clarify: What are punitive damages?
Where the defendantís conduct is found to be intentional or willful or wanton or malicious.

In order to get punitive damages, you have to prove the actions of the contractor were intentional and they wanted you and your family to get CO poisoning. So he intentionally did something to let the CO build up in the house, causing you and your family to get sick.

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Thanks

The gas co. wasn't involved. There was a heating/cooling contractor that neglected to turn off whatever was needed. The landlord wasn't aware til I left her a vm to notify the family upstairs.
That contractor is screwed, the landlady can sue them and so can you. This is why they have insurance for screwups like this. Go for it my man, and heritage harley gift certificates are always welcome for payment for good advice.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:30 PM
CLSB SuperHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMan
You have a good case for some major $$$. You can sue the landlord/lady for no Carbon Monoxide detectors and the contractor for doing something stuppid. Most of all pain and suffering. I'm glad your kids are ok. Surely you will find a good lawyer that will take your case . Good Luck

Define major money. Now do you know for a fact it is code for wherever the apartment is located to have a CO detector? And also, in his post he stated there were CO detectors. I wish you luck getting anything from the landlord...the contractor is who you would be pointing your finger at.

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
glad you are ok. The landlord would be in deep shit in new york. They have to have a form signed by the tenant that says they witnessed the CO detector installed.

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorR1
Define major money. Now do you know for a fact it is code for wherever the apartment is located to have a CO detector? And also, in his post he stated there were CO detectors. I wish you luck getting anything from the landlord...the contractor is who you would be pointing your finger at.

She says there are CO detectors but when we did the walk-thru she pointed out fire detectors but did not mention they were supposedly CO detectors also.

Smoke detectors are not Carbon Monoxide detectors. I would check the batteries in them also..
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:59 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

i agree with vcook, although if I were you I would def try to get the contractor to cover ALL expenses-- you and your wife's pay (even if you are salaried, your sick days are worth $) transportation to/from the hospital....

Frankly I'd ask for a reasonable amount of $ and tell them they should be thankful you aren't asking for more

This isn't something that COULD have been serious, it IS serious, and if I were you I'd be madder than hell if people aren't acting as such. Seems like your landlady has responded well, though.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcook
holy hell, thank god you're all OK. If it were me I'd thank the landlord for making sure all the costs are covered, i'd also thank them for the 2 months free rent they gave you for your troubles. Emphasis on that second part. .
Actually neither my wife of I feel comfortable staying there now. We're getting our deposit back & looking for a new spot now.

post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:04 PM

Absolutely a good move. It will help you in court also
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:11 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

+1 Glad you and the family are okay.

Vcook is smart. (Accidents do happen after all) Sounds to me like your landlady took the high road pretty quickly. I've had plenty of landpeople that would have left my calls unanswered and jacked the rent for some strange reason.

IMO you're doing well. Then again, I'm not the one that has to live there, and I can't say how I'd react if it were me and my family. Just armchair quarterbacking. Good luck with whatever you decide.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony
That contractor is screwed, the landlady can sue them and so can you. This is why they have insurance for screwups like this. Go for it my man, and heritage harley gift certificates are always welcome for payment for good advice.

Same thing I was thinking. The contractor should be bonded & insured.

post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Let's Ride!!!

Sportbike: '2001 CBR1100XX
Years Riding: 14
How you found us: Link

Man, that sucks!!! I'm so glad you and your family are alright.

Regarding what to do, my advice would be to go after the contractor. If the landlord was negligent in anyway, go after her as well. But it sounds like she did everything she could as quickly as she could and her covering the medical bills cost for your whole family cost her a pretty penny. She might even be suing the contractor as well for recovering the medical bills cost, as well as, lost rental income because she lost you as tenants.

The other thing to consider is you can't get blood from a turnip. Contractor was negligent, contractor should pay.

Just my opinion.

... and away we go.....

FlyBy
  • Let those that Ride Decide!
  • Gun Control is not Crime Control!
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:21 PM
CLSB SuperHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMan
She says there are CO detectors but when we did the walk-thru she pointed out fire detectors but did not mention they were supposedly CO detectors also.

Smoke detectors are not Carbon Monoxide detectors. I would check the batteries in them also..

I know this...but you still did not define "major money". I have had experience with 8 of these types of claims. Have you? And I would really like to know what your definition of "major money" is compared to what these claims settled for.

post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:26 PM

Its up to the judge. There have been cases with mold, lead and other crap which have been settled for six figure digits. This could have been a deadly situation.
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:32 PM
CLSB SuperHero

Up to the Judge? Uhhhhhhhh It's actually not up to the Judge. That would be the jury's job.
My point is simply this....I find it funny when people try and give people illusions of granduer by saying things such as "major money" when that person clearly has no clue what they are talking about.

post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 10:59 PM
" It Time To Ride "

Sportbike: Suzuki GSX-R750
Years Riding: 20+
How you found us: Long search for motorcycle clubs online

Send a message via MSN to Justmax
By the way I'm happen you and family are live. Since me or anyone this on board are not lawyers. I would talk to a lawyer get get information you need.

US MARINE CORP
"Semper Fi''

post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justmax
By the way I'm happen you and family are live. Since me or anyone this on board are not lawyers. I would talk to a lawyer get get information you need.
That's what I'm doing. Just wanted some opinions of those here. May pick up something I'm not thinking of. Thanks.

post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 11:48 PM

Sportbike: 2001 zx6
How you found us: Search

Send a message via AIM to ThirdgenTa
Well if you want to be greedy go ahead and sue them. Good luck. The judge will probably know that you are just trying to get money since they offered to pay for your medical bills. It would be understandable if you asked for a little bit more for time off work or whatever.
I would just demand free rent. Maybe like at least 8 months worth. Hell they almost killed you guys.
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 11:55 PM
Pathological Thrill Seekr

Sportbike: Trek Marlin
Years Riding: Noob
How you found us: Followed the fast guys

Send a message via AIM to Deuces
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony

Good to hear you all are OK!!!!

I think you could sue the landlady all you want but the end result is that the contractor is screwed. That's who's to blame, so I would go after them, not the landlady. I doubt she could have forseen it not being trained in HVAC. Just my .02

Ride smart... stupid hurts.

Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't...

Godspeed 788!!! We miss you!
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdgenTa
Well if you want to be greedy go ahead and sue them. Good luck. The judge will probably know that you are just trying to get money since they offered to pay for your medical bills. It would be understandable if you asked for a little bit more for time off work or whatever.
I would just demand free rent. Maybe like at least 8 months worth. Hell they almost killed you guys.

Did you even read the first post? The part where I asked for no smart ass answers & then said I wasn't looking for some big payoff. I'm looking for constructive opinions here.

Thanks for everyone else's replies. I don't hold the landlady responsible as she wouldn't have had any knowledge. And she has agreed to pay medical bills & will be giving our deposit back & releasing us from the lease. She kinda got caught in the middle. But if I do pursue this I won't be going after her.

post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 12:45 AM

Sportbike: 2001 zx6
How you found us: Search

Send a message via AIM to ThirdgenTa
Quote:

Did you even read the first post? The part where I asked for no smart ass answers & then said I wasn't looking for some big payoff. I'm looking for constructive opinions here.

Thanks for everyone else's replies. I don't hold the landlady responsible as she wouldn't have had any knowledge. And she has agreed to pay medical bills & will be giving our deposit back & releasing us from the lease. She kinda got caught in the middle. But if I do pursue this I won't be going after her.
Yes I read it. How much do you expect to get out of it?
You asked a honest question I gave my honest advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode