Dead to Diamonds??? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Dead to Diamonds???

Taken from Yahoo
---------------------------------------------------------

Back to Story - Help
Dust to dust to ... diamonds? US firm turns cremated remains into precious gems Thu Oct 6,12:37 PM ET

Everyone said she was a gem. Now, just eight ounces of cremated remains is all it takes to turn your mother into a diamond.

In fact, there's enough carbon in those ashes to make about 20 gems. And there will still be several pounds of ashes left over to display on the mantelpiece.

So far, nobody's ordered more than 11 diamonds, said Dean VandenBiesen, vice president of operations for LifeGem, which uses super-hot ovens to transform ashes to graphite and then presses the stone into blue and yellow diamonds that retail for anywhere from 2,700 to 20,000 dollars.

"It's not for everyone," VandenBiesen admitted, adding that for those who do chose to immortalize their loved ones in jewelry, the experience is extremely positive.

"We have people that approach us who have just experienced a tragedy and they say I can't wait, I'm so excited about this," he said. "In the field of death care, when someone says I'm really excited about this, I think we've achieved what we wanted to do which is change the culture of death."

The success of LifeGem is just one example of a radical shift in the funeral industry, said Mark Musgrove, immediate past president of the National Funeral Directors Association.

Americans are moving away from traditional funerals and are seeking instead less somber occasions that reflect the personality of the deceased.

They are also looking for alternative ways to remember their loved ones.

While a decline in religiosity has contributed to the shift, Musgrove said it's mainly a reflection of a cultural phenomenon.

"Back in the 60's the baby boomers were getting married in scuba gear," he said. "They're getting older and they have the same individualism."

A quick stroll through the exhibition hall of association's annual conference shows just how far the 11-billion dollar US funeral home industry has moved towards "personalization."

Jeff Barrette is leaning on a maroon motorcycle, his leather vest and scull and crossbones bandana a striking change from the dark suits of most of his customers.

Displayed in his booth are urns made out of the engine cylinders of Harley Davidsons and mounted on stands with epitaphs like "Rider's Last Rest," which doubles as the company's name.

"It holds 270 cubic inches -- you could fit a big guy in there," Barrette told a potential customer, before explaining that the urn's carrying case is specially constructed to fit on the back of a bike in case "you want to take your buddy for a ride."

Demand for the 1,350 dollar hand-made urns has been slow, Barrette said, but that's to be expected in a niche market.

Memorial videos and websites, however, are a bustling business, said Joe Joachim, president of funeralOne, who has signed up 1,500 funeral homes in the past five months.

"Our ultimate goal is creating the ultimate funeral experience," Joachim said. "We want to make this a celebration of life and take it to the next level."

FuneralOne offers software that allows funeral homes to help families create videos, burn them onto DVDs and even make personalized brochures and websites. It also offers webcasting services so people who can't make the funeral can watch online.

The two-and-a-half-year-old company has recently partnered with another firm which makes solar-powered video screens that can be mounted on a tombstone and play a 5 to 10 minute tribute.

The 7-inch (18 cm) serenity panels will hit the market in January and Vidstone and chief executive officer Sergio Aguirre said he expects to sell up to 100,000 in the first year.

"Everyone has a story to tell, and what better way than to share it?" he said.
-----------------------------------

Kinda interesting to say the least! Riders Last Rest.... Now thats somethin'!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 07:48 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Very interesting. I've always told my gf that when I am gone I want to be stuffed and kept in the corner of the bedroom. Now, however, you can get a solid 3 karats of diamond from me.

Hey, guess what color a diamond made from my ashes would be?

GREEN!!!

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 08:26 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
NOVA did a show on diamonds, including the making of diamonds up in Siberia... and they talked about creating diamonds from cremains. I think it would be cool to be able to "keep" a loved one with you in such a lasting way.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 08:29 AM

Sportbike: 2002 kawi RIP 2001 YZF R1 RIP sold my 99 R6 now I gots me a 05 R1 and I made it my bitch.
Years Riding: 6
How you found us: ...

yick

http://www.lifegem.com/

I took a sociology of death class my senior year of college and I had to do a report on that same subject.

Interesting but not interested.

Throw my ashes in the ocean, not around your neck.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Now its got me wondering.......Are these gems of any value? If so what will it do to the PGem market if they can create diamonds? I am certain they cannot make a diamond like that of the quality of a pure Earth diamond......Can they?

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 08:51 AM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

Labdog thanks for sharing this.

Never realized something like this was possible, or being done. I like the idea. It gives you and your loved ones some really cool options.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Diamonds are of no real value anyway, The whole preciaous stone market is a joke, it one place where supply and demand dont mean anything, theres as many jewelry stores in this country as 7-11's and gas stations. and they are all stocked to the gills with diamonds. you dont see x-large slurpys going for 20 grand and theres more diamonds in every store than thier are slurpy's

Hmmm now I really want a slurpy

Damn I need coffee

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 08:55 AM
Sarcasm in every post.

Sportbike: '01 ZX-6R, '88 Katana 600
Years Riding: 20+yrs.
How you found us: Written on a YWB's ass. Next to "EMR was here"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labdog
Now its got me wondering.......Are these gems of any value? If so what will it do to the PGem market if they can create diamonds? I am certain they cannot make a diamond like that of the quality of a pure Earth diamond......Can they?

I assume thats why they are colored, to help hide the imperfections.

The may be worth something if you were famous. The main worth would sentimental value.

Ken.

My Garage.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 09:29 AM
bwa
Boom

Sportbike: None :(
Years Riding: not long enough
How you found us: Crazeinc

That's crazy! Better than gettin put 6 feet under.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 01:30 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

it's a little creepy, but all-in-all kind of a cool concept.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Joe Momma...

Sportbike: None
Years Riding: 1,2,4,5 count d'z rocks biatch!
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to JoJo
I bet you could make a fortune selling diamonds made from famous dead people. I wonder how much a diamond would go for made from John Lennon's or Elvis' remains......

My name is JB, people call me JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
"I wouldn't be surprised to see this guy catch a pass with his ass cheeks"
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Fear is the mind killer

Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com

A little bit of Chief Bling for everyone to enjoy, hehe.

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 09:57 PM

Sportbike: 03 GSXR1000
Years Riding: 12
How you found us: R1 forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labdog
actually man made diamonds are so good DeBeers spent mega$$$ to make machines that can tell them apart

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/diamond.html

Last edited by stihlblade; 10-07-2005 at 09:59 PM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Curb your dogma.

Sportbike: another Honda:)
Years Riding: little while now....
How you found us: BusaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stihlblade
actually man made diamonds are so good DeBeers spent mega$$$ to make machines that can tell them apart

Actually, we can all thank DeBeers for the inflated market for diamonds. They have always controled this market by any means necessary, including murder and slavery. If it was not for DeBeers, Nazi Germany never would have been able to get their war machine moving. Debeers secretly supplied the Nazi scum w/ industrial grade diamomds durring the second world war after publicly stating that they would not do so. It is a corporation built on the spilled blood of millions

"Cr-Cr-Cr-Crambone!!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode