New boss, what a dick! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 2009 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: web search

New boss, what a dick!

I started my new job about 4 1/2 months ago. It is a private company and I have taken the place of the owners son who had the position for 15 yrs and just wanted a change. I manage 28 people and also am responsible for the building. Well the son left on very good terms and hand picked me because he knew I would be a good fit. He trained me for 2 weeks and let me loose. I am doing kick ass job and everyone is great and they love me. As sick as it sounds I enjoyed going to work. I reported directly to the president of the company (the sons mother).

Well now the kick in the balls. The owner decided to hire a operations manager, he is now my new boss. He wants to change almost every damn process and "improve" the way almost everything is done. The son, who had this position before me spent 15 years perfecting all of this and this guy wants to fix what is not broken. This fuck even asked me to look into outsourcing some of our customer service outside the counrty, that email got shit canned right away

I called the son who now lives 50 miles from the dragon and also rides. I told him how this prick is trying to ruin everything. He has also had other people from the company call him complaining about this guy. He was upset to hear what the new guy was doing and told me that he would talk to his mom, I just have to say the word.
I was very impressed that he would back me up like that but told him to wait and if later I need the big guns I will ask him then. So I guess the question is: Do I confront this new boss and tell him to let things be since they are working great as is? Tell him that I am a manager and don't need to be micro managed etc......
Or do I confront the president directly and plead my case to her letting her know that this guy is bringing down morale and trying to fix things that re not broken. Or third, have the son do some of the dirtywork for me? Very touchy situation since I do only have 4 1/2 months under my belt, but there is no way I can continue to work like this and deal with him everyday and have him possibly disrupt things for my people. Another touchy part is that he directly reports to her so some of these wild ass ideas may be coming from her just a thoughts and his kiss ass is making them into projects. Without a doubt he is trying to make a legacy or prove something his first 2 weeks but damn it's really getting to the rest of us.

Under200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 02:56 PM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

tough call bro!

Keep in mind that everything you do you are only looking out for the best intrests of the company. Have you discussed any of his ideas with him.

Is he a complete idiot or a zealot looking to make a name for himself? Is it possible some of his ideas would work?

Good luck bro!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 03:03 PM
stuck in 6th gear

Sportbike: '99 SV650, GSX-R1K2, CRF230F5, '08 HM-S
Years Riding: not enough lately *(&%# work...
How you found us: LBK back in the day

don't bother going to the president. she already made it clear that she's busy and looking for help and she didn't go to you but instead hired somebody else to dish off some responsibilities to.

the new guy is probably trying to shake things up and cut a rep for himself to show that her faith isn't misplaced.

I think you should politely suggest a meeting to review operations with him and make sure that he's aware of all the details before he goes about introducing change into a smooth operation. If his suggestions really do offer improvements in the areas of efficiency, cost reduction, process improvement, .... then it's hard to argue with the $$$$$.

If he's like some upper management dork that is introducing short term change so that he gets a big cost savings bonus at the expense of the long term viability of the company then do everything you can to [email protected] that moron out of the chain of command. Outsourcing isn't a quick and easy decision. There should be months of detailed analysis before this is undertaken....
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labdog
tough call bro!

Keep in mind that everything you do you are only looking out for the best intrests of the company. Have you discussed any of his ideas with him.

Is he a complete idiot or a zealot looking to make a name for himself? Is it possible some of his ideas would work?

Good luck bro!

I would say he fits into being the lowest salary bidder and also is REALLY trying to make a name for himself.

Under200
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 03:08 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

This first thing you should decide is whether you will continue working there if the changes are made. If the answer is no, the decision is much easier.

It sounds like she hired someone to ease her own responsibilities. What you don't know is whether she asked for these changes and didn't want the hassle of making them herself or perhaps is trying to milk extra profit by reducing expenses.

The son may have some better ideas about the motives, but you are risking a lot going to him around the new manager and her.

You have to weigh the risk and, I think, have to make a business case about why you believe this new direction to be a mistake.

If her concern is strictly a profit one, you may run into the same kind of short-term thinking that I believe is common these days. If she shares a concern for quality of life issue and loyalty of the employees you stand a chance.

If the end result is you leaving anyway, I would recommend the direct approach with solid reasons or recommendations.

I think the chances are good she hired this guy to make changes she is unprepared to make herself. I wouldn't recommend going behind their backs.

Dave
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 03:12 PM
stuck in 6th gear

Sportbike: '99 SV650, GSX-R1K2, CRF230F5, '08 HM-S
Years Riding: not enough lately *(&%# work...
How you found us: LBK back in the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by under200
I would say he fits into being the lowest salary bidder and also is REALLY trying to make a name for himself.

Under200
ugh. I hate morons like that. New guy comes in and doesn't want to really be a team player. He views everybody else as being on HIS team.

If you want to get in a pissing match with him, bone up on your MS Excel. You're going to need it to persuade the Pres that his ideas suck ass and present her with some alternatives along with data to achieve cost savings and boost efficiencies and at the same time show that you care about the company and it's employees more than the new guy. And if you can't beat him you'll either have to suck up to him since he'll be doing your reviews and doling out your merits and bonus or go find a new job.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 03:55 PM

In most cases like this, my advice is to always try and have a discussion with the person in question. Perhaps his ideas have some actual thought behind them that you may not see right away. Perhaps they are nothing more than him trying to put his stamp on things. They may also be coming from above, as said before. In my experience, even when questioning a manager's opinions and decision, if you can keep a professional manner and speak with them directly about it, things will turn out better in the long run for both of you. If you go around him to the boss, and nothing changes, but he finds out about it, he will not be happy, and your situation will likely not improve as long as you both are employed there. If you go around him and go to the boss's son, I think this may be even worse, as the only thing he can do about it is to talk to his mother. This brings you back to the situation above, except it has added another layer of mistrust into the mix. At that point, youmight as well start looking for a new job.

So my suggestion would be to have a good discussion about the new boss's ideas. Compare them to what is in place now, and try and hammer out details as to why one is better than the other. Perhaps there are some good ideas hidden below the surface of his thought process, that may not be the best by themselves, but could be easily incorporated into the current setup and be beneficial to all. If he tells you to not worry about it and they are his decisions to make, and just do what you're told, then it becomes a personal decision on whether this is a postion you want to remain in.

Good luck
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Very good points everyone. Thanks. This is going to be a tough one. The pres. is away for the next 2 weeks so manybe when the time is right I can have a sit down with him. I could always ask him if these idea's are coming from above or if they are his. Just when I thought I found the perfect job, damn.

Under200
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 02:44 PM

I wouldn't ask if the ideas are his or hers right away. I think you'll find that just bring up the discussion, and hearing his side, you will probably be able to find out. During your discussion, he may seem as disgusted as you about some of the things he is changing, which would make me think that it wasn't his idea in the first place.

How would you feel if you went to work someplace and had to change something, and someone came to you and said "Is this your idea or Frank's, becuse I don't like it?", if it was your idea, you wouldn't be too happy to hear that. Have your chat with the guy and if the answer to your question doesn't come out on it's own, then ask.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode