Hey guys new member with a question! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Cool Hey guys new member with a question!

first off i just found this forum, I've been in chicago (well evanston to be exact) for some time. I have been riding for a few years and want a better bike, and I found a nice '01gsxr600 for sale. It's from a dealer and seems very fairly priced, however the first used bike i bought had some problems so now I wanna be a little cautious. The dealer is Arlington Motorsports, they seem very nice and professional, however I'd like some feedback from anyone on here who's dealt with them. If they say the bike is clean and hasn't been messed around with can I trust them? I'm hoping to apply for the financing and make my purchase within the next couple weeks, so i'd really like some feeback. Thanks a bunch guys I loook forward to getting to know you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 10:44 PM

My brother bought his 900RR from those guys.... IMO they are pretty damn shady, but my bro fell in love with the bike (97' red/blk).

Upon delivery the bike:

1.) had badly worn sprokets and chain
2.) leaky fork seals
3.) exhaust springs were old/stretched and rattling

Got them to fix that crap at no charge. Then after about 1yr of riding it the tranny went south. $800 tranny work later the bike is in tip-top shape.

I would never buy a bike there. YMMV
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 11:22 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

hey welcome to the club

as far as used bikes the only thing i would suggest is buying them from the owner, certain places will use duck tape and bubble gum to hold the shit together.
and 90% of the time, your buying a bike that someone got ride of because of a problem?

aleast with the personal owner you kind find out just about everything about the bike and how it was treated, and HONESTLY why he is selling it.

shit most guys just sell them to get some money when there in a pinch, some guys drop there bikes so many times untill they learn how to ride then go get a new one

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

thanks a lot guys i really appreciate your help, looks like i'll prolly keep shopping besides I'll at least get a chance to save up more cash and maybe just shoot for a nice gsxr1000 which is what I really want. Thanks again really appreciate the help.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 12:37 AM

Sportbike: 2002 CBR F4i
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: Original Gangsta

Send a message via AIM to maks
I went there when I was looking at bikes at first. I wouldn't ever buy a bike from those guys 'cause basically, like someone else mentioned, they seem so damn shady.

Also, they price their used bikes waaaaaaaay high, so, if you do buy one there, I hope they knock a good chunk off the price. Good luck!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

actually what really made me weary of them was that they seemed to have everything priced a little too low. having dealt with car dealers that try to sell very in-demand cars for less than you usually see i started to get a little nervous. It wasn't just this one bike everything they had was a bit cheaper than you'd expect to see, it just seemed a little fishy.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 07:50 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
I looked there when I first started looking. Found a cruiser I was drooling over (virago 535). The price they tell you isn't the REAL price, they wanted a $400 'service fee' for finding the bike, getting it there and servicing it. The bike was 2 years old, would you pay that for an oil change, chain adjustment and good cleaning job? To get a 2 year old bike to sellable condition, that's all that's really needed.

They must be doing something right though, since they've been around for awhile. They also sell a LOT of harleys. Also, keep in mind it's $25 for sales tax on a bike bought by a private party. The dealer has to charge you 7.x% (depending on your home area). Granted, with a dealer you have some leverage if something goes wrong.

Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 08:57 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
My only advice is shop, shop, shop!! I have never bought a new bike, always bought used. I have yet to buy a lemon (fingers crossed), look over the bike, look at the body work, be aware of lots of new parts, that's a sure sign of trouble. Look for a slightly bruised bike, so what if it's been tipped over. Check brakes pads, discs for warpage, look at the master cyclinder, check electrical functions, never, ever, ever buy a bike from a "kid" who has plastered the bike, with every cool looking P.O.S. he/she can land his hands on, they had no interest in really caring for the bike. If buying from a dealer they should know about the previous owner, they should have had maintenance records that the previous owner kept. I keep every record on my bike in a file. Check chain and sprockets for wear and abuse. Check wheel alignment. Before you buy anything look at MOT Test checks in any Haynes Manual. The worse I have ever had on a used bike, was a dead battery and a horn that didn't beep, loose wire fixed in 10 minutes. Another excellent trick once you have located the bike you want, get at least 6 buddies over the course of two days, to low bid on the bike, teller the dealer what a P.O.S it is, then go in an offer something reasonable. Good luck

Rick
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:00 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

I have been there a couple times and they do seem shady on the retail side but they have a suzuki mechanic there by the name of Gary. Super guy and very very knowledgable. He was recommended to me by "woodfield" When i bought my bike i took it to him for Carb work and basically he went through the entire bike for me. Very reasonable. The mechanic is totally different from the store. They ARE shady on the sales side! Just my .02

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:01 AM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time

I would definitely stay away from a dealer with a used bike. Those guys band-aid things to get them out the door and usually charge way too much. Stick around long enough and deals seem to pop up on the board quite often trust me. Otherwise I would buy new and create your own problems at least you know what the bike has gone through.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:07 AM
Evil Moderatrix

Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Location: Think corn and pigs. Lots and lots of corn and pigs.
Sportbike: A Big Blue One, a threesome of Sexy Red Ones - and a Happy Yellow One!
Years Riding: Quarter century.
How you found us: I was looking for Jimmy Choo's in my shoe closet.

Send a message via AIM to KBOlsen
I agree with buying new vs. used. Why take a chance with someone else's throwaway? Unless you've got good mechanical skills or are planning to rebuild something for the track. Even then, I'd go through a private party rather than a dealer.

Kim
CCS AM #815 - the cute, fuzzy, yellow, spoiled-rotten half of Team Duc Tape!
I break stuff
Duck, duck, duck, GUZ!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:23 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Kim has a point, you better have some mechanical skills and some tools, I have the tools, but I'm a part changer not a wrench, so I play dumb ( it's easy, I'm male) ask question surf the web, read my manual and do the work. The problem I have with buying new is I rather tinker with a used machine, it makes me use my brain, too many riders know nothing of their ride, except turn the key and go. In my humble opinion you want to go fast, drag knee, you better learn what makes the machine tick, the only way I can do that is tinkering, that and I'm a cheap bastard, spend 8K for new, when I can get a great used bike for 3K to 4K.

Rick
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:39 AM

The Gixxer 1000 is being redesigned for '30 so you might find some good deals on a '02 model if you can find one.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:51 AM
hayabusa_z

Actually, I go through Lombard Kawaski. The mechanics are really nice and care about their work. Suzuki even gave them a high rating on their service dept. The salemen are good too, gave me a great deal on my trade in and my Busa. If you get the chance check them out. I know they have a nice gray and black Busa there for about 6K... it on E-bay. I was at two other dealers and they were trying to rip me off.... especailly DNY.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:55 AM

Sportbike: 06 CBR600RR
Years Riding: bought my first street bike in 2000

Quote:
Originally posted by cherrypicker
The Gixxer 1000 is being redesigned for '30 so you might find some good deals on a '02 model if you can find one.
'30?!?!?!!??!?!?! damn, thats a long time away!

I bought my first bike used from a private party. i really wish i never got rid of that bike. it was awesome. the bike i have now i bought used from a dealership (naperville triumph suzuki). less than a year after i bought the bike, the motor blew, alot of promises were not fullfilled, and they had lied to me about the bike. i don't think i will ever buy a used bike again, and if i do, it sure as hell won't be from that dealer.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:59 AM

My $.02...

Pick up a demo. Lots of dealerships (especially this time of year) are getting rid of their '01 and '02 demos... most of them don't have a single mile on them.

I know MCC has a brand new monster dark (620 or 750 I think) for like five grand. Buy now before people snap up all the good deals ... with the prices the way they are now why buy used??
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

thanks to everyone for their input, i think i will wait and definitely go with a private party, my only problem with that is I have a tough time getting loans since I'm still a college student, but i'll just keep lookin at see what happens. Thanks again guys awesome board I love it already.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rmani
thanks to everyone for their input, i think i will wait and definitely go with a private party, my only problem with that is I have a tough time getting loans since I'm still a college student, but i'll just keep lookin at see what happens. Thanks again guys awesome board I love it already.
I feel for you, took me almost 2 years to finally get a bike once I knew I wanted one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode