Military - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Military

Yeah I was debating going into the military before. Well I am starting to again, so my ? to you is. Who ever was/is in the army or marines, what job did you train for? Did yo ulike it? What job do you have now, was it something that you trained for when you were serving? Any other info would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 03:24 AM

you can do a search and find some old military posts. I did one about people who wished they served.

I know it's a good cause to die for your country, but is it worth it anymore? Should you die for some of these assholes that live in this country that dont give a shit about you?
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 06:53 AM
Thee original azzhole!

Sportbike: 97 900rr-rip 09/09, 69 chevelle SS, & ???
Years Riding: it doesnt matter
How you found us: i see all

Send a message via AIM to Thunderstruck
stay away from the marines...too many of them think they are hard asses...

i personally was in the army during the gulf...my job position was 13r (thirteen romeo)...which was specifically called "field artillary firefinder radar operator" which basically means that i ran a radar system that detected motar, artillary, and rockets rounds fired in the radars viewing range...i drove a 5 ton (equal to a semi) ...we were on call during the entire gulf war...but never were deployed...but i am concidered a gulf war vet...

there are lots of benifets to serving...but also drawbacks...also stay away from the navy...army or airforce are only ways to go...navy and marines have something in common...you are always traveling...and if you have a g/f or family...you spend ZERO time with them...marines get the shit of the shit....army and airforce get the cream of the crop equipment...its a blast at times...and others it sucks...your best bet is to sit with others to get thier point of view...trying to type it up here would fill up 2 full pages for me...but dont go in expecting to not deploy and be prepared to go into dangerous areas...

...plus my gf was with me saying "omg slow down, slow down" and I was thinking "Lose annoying squalk box in passenger seat, afford more mods and have less weight in the car and on the back of the bike"...so i dumped her and I'm single again as usual...HERE KITTY KITTY!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch View Post
pussy is the root of all evil...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunny View Post
mmmm pussy
You dont like me....i dont give a fuck...cause i'll still put ya in the hospital...me tollerating you is all that matters...
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 07:21 AM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Ranger and then MP
I learned I love the field and did not want to be a cop.
Gulf war part 1 kinda sucked
There are a lot of jobs that do have real training so pick carefully as long as you score about a 110 on the asvab you can do just about anything. Don't let the recruiter talk you into any MOS he is under bonus for short fall areas.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 07:40 AM
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!

Sportbike: Rockets & Harleys
Years Riding: Me love you long time
How you found us: CLSB DECAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck

there are lots of benifets to serving...but also drawbacks...also stay away from the navy...army or airforce are only ways to go...navy and marines have something in common...you are always traveling...and if you have a g/f or family...you spend ZERO time with them...marines get the shit of the shit....army and airforce get the cream of the crop equipment...its a blast at times...and others it sucks...your best bet is to sit with others to get thier point of view...trying to type it up here would fill up 2 full pages for me...but dont go in expecting to not deploy and be prepared to go into dangerous areas...
Please speak on your own personal experiance. Thank you for serving as a 13r, but I dont see how you can speak to the other branches as you have. First hand accounts are needed to provide a clear image for this member to make an educated decesion. Each branch has its Pro's & Con's, to say that one gets all the good stuff and others get shit, you are mistaken. Please speak to only what you know 1st hand, not hear say bar room B.S.

I hope no one from other branches are affended by this eroneous comment!

OOh Rah, Semper Fi

***Ashwin RIP Brotha you will be missed***

www.dcdecals.net www.firespeed.com

Life's Journey Is Not To Arrive At The Grave Safely In A Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Sideways, Totally Worn Out, Shouting "HOLY SHIT... What A Ride!"

All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never under estimate your opponent (mentality). Expect the unexpected (could work out in your favor). Two, take it outside(or to a table). Never start anything inside the Bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice.

Turning Shit into Sugar!!

Last edited by SmokinJohn; 10-14-2005 at 10:59 AM.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 07:43 AM
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!

U.S.M.C. = Hard Core........

Thank you to all that served or are serving no matter in what branch.

Here is Chills, he may be able to chime in and give you some insight into his experiance.. Thanks Chills for serving, and now giving us great weather reports.....

P.O.W. M.I.A. never forgotten!

Life's Journey Is Not To Arrive At The Grave Safely In A Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Sideways, Totally Worn Out, Shouting "HOLY SHIT... What A Ride!"

All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never under estimate your opponent (mentality). Expect the unexpected (could work out in your favor). Two, take it outside(or to a table). Never start anything inside the Bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice.

Last edited by SmokinJohn; 12-28-2006 at 11:34 AM.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 08:48 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Quote:
Originally Posted by paladin
Ranger and then MP
I learned Don't let the recruiter talk you into any MOS he is under bonus for short fall areas.
Techinically, the RECRUITER isn't the one who "helps" you decide. The guidance councelor is, the recruiter isn't even allowed in the room. And yes, some of those councelors are using some dirty tricks to get people to enlist in the branches they need. One of my army buddy's nieces was told she was color blind (news to her) and only had a few options available. Those MOS's were all in high demand (truck drivers and construction mainly). Oddly enough, the NEXT female in line also got told the same thing. Females are RARELY color blind, finding two in a row is serious cause for suspicion. They also don't let you make a life line call or talk to your recruiter in there. If you start feeling pressured by the councelor to go to something you don't want to do, walk out. If you got good test scores, they'll find a way to get what you want. Know what you want to do before you go in or you'll get talked into something you don't.

Now as for which branch, that's up to you. Air Force usually has the most intelligent recruits, Army is **I think** the only branch where you know your EXACT job before going in. Marines and Navy spend the most time away from home, but for the Navy that might not be bad, spending time in different locations. Army Basic Training has changed A LOT in the last couple years (lessons learned from war).

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 08:54 AM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Quote:
...navy and marines have something in common...you are always traveling...
The Navy has plenty of land-based billets, but you can't be certain you'll get one. I personally would recommend the Navy or Air Force. So now that every branch has been recommended, what are you going to do?

It might help if you explain a bit about your expectations or some reasons why you want to join. Each branch has a tendency toward different personalities. Each comes with a different chance of being actively involved in armed conflicts or not and tend to have different roles when the are engaged.

Dave
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 08:57 AM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
Know what you want to do before you go in or you'll get talked into something you don't.
In case you didn't get that:

Know what you want to do before you go in or you'll get talked into something you don't.

AND GET IT IN WRITING!

Dave
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 09:17 AM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

The military is only what YOU make of it! The military will only GIVE you what you TAKE from it.

I highly recommend the military. Every branch offers up something a little different. Marines=bullet catchers/jar heads ---Navy=squids/semen --- Army=grunts/mentally challenged --- Air Force=wing nuts/flyboys/ etc.....
I think you get my drift. Every branch has its own stigma.

I for one enlisted in the Air Force as a 81130 MOS. Was i happy yes but i wanted more. Volunteered and was lucky enough to get accepted to pre-Ranger school. Then sniper school and lucky enough to see combat in central america as well as the gulf. After all was said and done i was recieving dual orders from AF and the Army. On my DD214 its confusing because you see a shitload of air force AND Army awards/medals!

I worked in the jungles with a few scout snipers and them boys are pretty hardcore as well. we got along great! If you want the tough guy stigma then i would recommend the Air Force PJ's or Combat Controllers! Those are some ruthless hard charging mother fuckers!!

(plus if you cant cut the mustard there is always the "cushy life" in a different AF job!)

Like i said........Do what you want to do but be CERTAIN you do what you want to do. Dont go by guts and glamour stories. Go after a job in the military that will easily correspond with a civilian job afterward. Let them give you the education.

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 10:15 AM

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Thanks smokinjohn. I forgot I had posted that photo... ah it brings back memories

I was in the Army for a total of 8 years. I have done time in the Reserves, National Guard, but most of my time was Active Duty. I have a total of 5 MOS's and about a dozen or so duty stations. Kinda been there done that.

What Kelly said is totally true. The military is exactly what you make of it. I've seen some people have a hard time adjusting to the life, and believe me it is a BIG adjustment. I had some tough times in the army, but I also got to do some pretty cool sh*t. How many people do you know have repelled out of a Blackhawk at 100' with a full combat load? Air Assault!

If you decide to join I highly suggest you take one of us vets with you to the recruiters. I'd be happy to go on a day off. You want to get a good job, something that'll help you in the civilian world.

I was a computer graphics artist, an M1A1 Abrams crewman, a helicopter flight student, and an air traffic controller. I spent most of my time as a controller, and that's how I got the kick ass job I have now. I wouldn't be where I am without my military background, and if I had to do it all over again I definately would.

Here are a couple more pics of me I just came across. Can any of you military guys tell me where the first one was taken?

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN

Last edited by Chills; 12-28-2006 at 10:08 AM.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 10:57 AM

Quote:
There's a difference between thinking and knowing

If you want to be the best of the best...MARINE CORPS all the way

But Labdog hit it dead on when he said it's what you make of it! I get so annoyed when I hear "I only joined for the college benefits"
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Ride Red, DO WORK SON!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meech
There's a difference between thinking and knowing

If you want to be the best of the best...MARINE CORPS all the way

But Labdog hit it dead on when he said it's what you make of it! I get so annoyed when I hear "I only joined for the college benefits"

OOh Rah Nicley put meech!!!!

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

HHmmm yeah well I still dont know. I am not gunna make any fast desicions, I am gunna get lacik eye surgery first so I have some time. I am just gunna go to each and find all the info I can. 3 of my friends went into the marines and they HATE IT. But to each his own I guess. They didnt get the job they said they would get either. So its lookin liek the army or the airforce.

What did you mean about "cushy" in the airforce?

Well some of the reasons that im THINKIN about joining. hhmmmm

1. I need to do something with my life, I want to do something that I will be proud of mtyself
2. Help with college
3. money, but I heard that the money isnt that great. So count that one out.
4. To better myself.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
Here are a couple more pics of me I just came across. Can any of you military guys tell me where the first one was taken?[/QUOTE]
Looks Like NTC to me with an opfor tank in the background
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldStyle
What did you mean about "cushy" in the airforce?

Well some of the reasons that im THINKIN about joining. hhmmmm

1. I need to do something with my life, I want to do something that I will be proud of mtyself
2. Help with college
3. money, but I heard that the money isnt that great. So count that one out.
4. To better myself.
Air Force=Cushy They treat their people VERY well! Living accomodations are TOP notch. EXAMPLES--When the airforce took up in Panama for Operation Just Cause instead of giving them tents like EVERYONE else had the AF flew in Portable Morgues for the AF people to live in. Why? Because they are airconditioned and they wanted their people comfortable! Not officers mind you but the enlisted people!!! Another example--In operation Desert Storm the majority of housing accomodations were clam shells. This is a big hangar with cots and we slept 2 feet apart with no walls. NOT the airforce. They took over Khobar towers which were condominiums and gave the AF people those. See what i mean? They treat their own people EXTREMELY well!

Okay now to your 4 points.
1= The military will prepare you for ANYTHING life has to throw at you. You will only be proud of yourself if you are doing this FOR yourself!

2= The Air Force will PAY for your schooling while you are in and you can go to the CCAF (community college of the AirForce.) Credits transfer to any college too once you get out.

3= BULLSHIT!! The money is great. Think about it. You get paid twice a month. You only pay for cable tv and a phone bill (if you want that) Living quarters are supplied free. Food is supplied free. Everything else as far as entertainment goes is SEVERELY discounted on post. I collected a paycheck in DS and could NOT spend anything so i came back VERY well to do!

4= Oh you will better yourself alright. You will have NO choice on that!

Good luck bro!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladin
Looks Like NTC to me with an opfor tank in the background
Correct place, but that's not an OPFOR tank. Its an old T-62 that at the entrance to the post. I believe its across the street from that huge rock with all the unit patches painted on it.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 01:39 PM
SNF

Sportbike: Nothing.
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: Cookie Monster

Send a message via AIM to Gixxer6Dan
I'm in the same boat as you Have been considering joining the army/air force for some time now, however im not sure of what I would want to do in either, and dont wanna make any rash decisions

NESBA - Seems to be missing, can someone direct me where to find it?
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 01:49 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
The money isn't TOO bad. Until you get the first couple promotions it will be tough, especially with the pressures to spend money..like bad strip clubs, tattoos, overpriced car lots, etc. One advantage of overseas duty is NO taxes, on top of additional pay for being there.

whereever you go, listen to common sense. Since you are here, you probably are a bit older than the average 17 year old. Don't go out buying a car with a 20% interest loan, don't go out and "rent to own" a bunch of shit. Really, the biggest problem NCOs in garrison have is their lower enlisted gathering up gobs of debt. Unlike the civilian world, it's REALLY easy for creditors to get a command to garnish wages. Keep out of financial trouble.

-Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

hmmm, labdog were you in the airforce? if so I will pm you to find out more. This might be the way to go. F*ck all those people who say that the airforce is the pussy way. If its better, its better.
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

yeah I wont be buyin a car or anything like that.So my financial situation should be fine. The only thing that I would buy would be a bike (but im not even sure I would have time to ride.)
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 01:58 PM

Yes i was "Part time" Air Force and "Part time" Army. No not a reservist or anything like that i just recieved orders from both sides of the military. It all depended on where in the world i was heading too and which side had a need for me and mypartners "expertise".

PM me anytime. I will be more than happy to help you out the best i can; as well as give you tips on how to "fast track" to your desires

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 02:03 PM

I don't say the Air Force was the "pussy" way. But it is a lot softer and less military. They have the biggest budget of the services and the smallest number of uniform personel. They live in dorms and not in barracks. When an Airman is stationed at an Army post they are given an extra stipend for having to live in "substandard" accomodations.

I would have joined the air force, but the recruiter didn't show up to our meeting. The army recruiter did, so there I went.

The money is not bad. You are usually living in an area with a low cost of living. At my last duty station I was making about $1180 after taxes each paycheck. I paid $380 a month in rent for a 2 story 2bdrm townhouse. I lived off post by myself, and I was a Sergeant. I had enough disposable income to buy a car, 2 motorcycles, and have fun whenever I wanted. You won't get rich in the military, but you can live pretty well.

I bleed GREEN
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 02:12 PM
SNF

Sportbike: Nothing.
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: Cookie Monster

Send a message via AIM to Gixxer6Dan
you said in the AF, you have the opportunitiy to go to community college, is there any website for this place? just wondering what they offer, if thats the case, my intrest in joining just jumped two-fold hehe.

NESBA - Seems to be missing, can someone direct me where to find it?
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 02:16 PM

You have the opportunity to go to college with any of the services. And while you attend school on active duty its totally free. It just depends on the school. That way you can use your GI Bill when you get out for graduate school.

I bleed GREEN
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 02:31 PM

Chills is right.

I do know in the air force (CCAF) its on base and i cant remember what the name is called but you can pick a course and if you think you are good at it you can take tests and if you pass the exams you GET that college credit without taking the full class.

There is also a program called BOOTSTRAP. You can take time off in the military for 4 years to go to college if you get accepted to a university i believe, get your degree and THEN go back into the military to finish your obligation.

You would have to research that to see if its still in existance.

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labdog
Chills is right.

I do know in the air force (CCAF) its on base and i cant remember what the name is called but you can pick a course and if you think you are good at it you can take tests and if you pass the exams you GET that college credit without taking the full class.

There is also a program called BOOTSTRAP. You can take time off in the military for 4 years to go to college if you get accepted to a university i believe, get your degree and THEN go back into the military to finish your obligation.

You would have to research that to see if its still in existance.

I don't think they have BOOTSTRAP anymore, Kelly. They do have other programs like Green To Gold which sends you to college and then to OCS.

I bleed GREEN
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 02:36 PM

Oh ok. Well either way it sounds like its about the same. Just another way for the AFFC to get more money without losing any money to show progression of rank without depleting the rank maintaining a strong show of education of service personnel.

Does that about sum up the shell game of armed forces budget guru's on the hill?

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labdog
Oh ok. Well either way it sounds like its about the same. Just another way for the AFFC to get more money without losing any money to show progression of rank without depleting the rank maintaining a strong show of education of service personnel.

Does that about sum up the shell game of armed forces budget guru's on the hill?

Yup, that's about right.

I bleed GREEN
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

What MOS did you have labdog? Did you enjoy it?

Im thinking about pararescue or aircraft engineer. Not sure yet. I just need to think ALOT but I wish I had someone around here to 'talk' to about this shit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode