The Wrong Kind of Prison Fellowship - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

The Wrong Kind of Prison Fellowship

The Wrong Kind of Prison Fellowship
Wahhabism on the Inside
October 18, 2005

Chuck Colson, Prison Fellowship

In August, law enforcement officials foiled a Jihadist plot to attack a synagogue and military recruitment center in Los Angeles.

What made the plot especially disturbing wasn't only the nationality of the organizers—they were native-born Americans of non Middle-Eastern descent—but where the plot was hatched: inside Folsom prison. As the Weekly Standard rightly points out, it's a perverse take on the idea of "Prison Fellowship."

The organizers were two inmates who converted to Islam while in prison. They recruited thirteen other prison converts into their "holy war" against America. Upon release, the converts would form their own terrorist cells.

While this particular plot was foiled, there's almost certainly more where that came from. According to Edward Caden, a retired California prison official, "prisons are a prime, prime target for terrorist recruiting," and the recruiters include al-Qaeda.
What happened at Folsom prison should not surprise anybody who has set foot in a prison lately. If they had done that, they would have noticed that the Islamic presence inside our prisons is—however you measure it—far greater than it is outside the prisons. I first wrote about this in 1991.

What makes prisons a "prime target" for al-Qaeda are two other things that, unfortunately, are in plentiful supply: a resentful population and people who will preach hate and violence to them.

After three decades of prison ministry, I can tell you that resentment and bitterness are the rule, not the exception, among prisoners. Radical Islam offers them a chance for vengeance against their perceived oppressors.

The incitement to hate and violence is provided by groups like the Al Haramain Islamic Foundation, a Wahhabist group. Its literature, which urges war against Jews and Christians, was primarily sent to prisoners and Islamic prison chaplains.

The Koran they distributed in American prisons included an appendix by the former Chief Justice of Saudi Arabia entitled "The Call to Jihad (Holy Fighting in Allah's Cause) in the Qur'an." This appendix urged Jihad against all who refuse to convert to Islam.

While Al Haramain was shut down by federal authorities, there is, according to the Weekly Standard, "reason to believe that the literature [it] distributed … is only the tip of the iceberg of what has reached and may still be reaching U.S. prisons."

Furthermore, Wahhabi influence over the selection of federal prison chaplains is well-documented. Given Saudi Arabia's resources and intent to spread its brand of Islam, it would be foolish not to expect similar efforts at the state and local level.

That's why the Weekly Standard is right when it calls for a concerted effort to understand what "extremist indoctrination has occurred and is occurring" in our prisons. The best way to prevent attacks like the one planned in California is not just to keep extremism from spreading inside our prisons—though that's absolutely necessary. We need to counter falsehood with the truth by bringing the Gospel to our prisons, as Prison Fellowship does, because the best way to keep a man from acting on his resentment is to free him from it—something that the preachers of hate know nothing about it.

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 11:00 AM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Hey Bill,

Where have you been hiding. Are you all healed up?

Nice to see you,

Bruce

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 11:15 AM

Sportbike: Resurrection Built YZ250F, Various European Junk
Years Riding: Yes
How you found us: SBN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Taborn
We need to counter falsehood with the truth by bringing the Gospel to our prisons

That is a good article except for this imho. I think it makes the whole article turn into a crusade-esque writing.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 11:28 AM

Who you represent?!

Yeah Bill, missed you around here.

I thought that prisoners had their mail read and inspected before they recieved it. Howl are they getting this stuff? From visitors? Still, glad they broke this gang up.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 12:03 PM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
here is the problem,

what do you do? If you relocate them to other prisons, they could spread the movement... If you stick them all in a hole, as punishment you feed there anger. If you leave them there, the civil rights activasts get angry that we are violating the rights of our prisoners. Our government believes in the right to freely practice religion so we can't tell them what religion they can or can not practice.

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 12:21 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker
That is a good article except for this imho. I think it makes the whole article turn into a crusade-esque writing.
Jack this is from Weekly Standard, a very conservative Christian newspaper. It is also written by a Prison Fellowshiper. Are there other methods to combat this problem? Certainly, this is just the way that author decided to. He's trying to recruit people to preach to prisoners.

I didn't think anybody in Folsom ever got out though?

-Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 12:23 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Hmmm, since I was familiar with the original issue. I didn't read the whole article. I should have know there was a little hook. IMO, while we don't want to foster terrorists or gangs in our prisons, saying that teaching the "gospel of Christ" is the cure is inappropriate. It's that damn liberal attitude of mine. I don't care if a person is white, black, brown, red, pink or blue. I don't care if he is a Christian, Jew, Buddhist, Hindu, Muslim, Satanist, Agnostic, or has no beliefs in the matter at all. I know I don't have all the answers and I don't trust anyone that thinks that they do. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

All I care about are 2 things:
1. Are you a contributing member of society?
2. Do you live in peace?

If you can say yep to those two items, you are a good person in my book.

If you ask me, that is what has to be taught in prison. Nothing more, nothing less.

Of course, I will defend your right to believe in your solutions as long as they don't cross my 2 questions.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

Yo, Bruce! Sorry for the down time. It's been a busy summer but, all's well.

Well, which is always a deep subject, I'll have to say I like the new look to the site.

As for what's good for a prison inmate goes we can be sure anything encouraging violence shouldn't be allowed. From my vantage point it's just another clear distinction between things that are genuinely beneficial and those that are pseudo beneficial.

It's clearly a pro Christian article and I'm certainly pro Christian but it's so disheartening to see people in an obviously violent and discouraging place to become fodder for those that would willingly victimize them.

I would certainly debate the merits of Christianity versus any religion from a pro Christian vantage point but, my opposition to what we see being put forth in the prisons is this form of aggression couched as worship of God.

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 06:01 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Glad to see you back. Missed your take on the world.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode