Getting a new puppy - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
I break everything!

Sportbike: SV650S, ZX6R, GSXR600
Years Riding: Since 04/2003
How you found us: Google

Getting a new puppy

Looks like a lotta dog owners on here, so here's my question... I'm seriously considering getting a young pup, probably a Beagle. What can I expect? Waking up 5 times a night? Pretty much having no life for the next few months until it grows up and becomes more house trained? I'm in a townhouse so I can't have a fenced yard or anything like that so it will be a indoors dog. And what to do with it during work hours? I can only make it back an hour a day for lunch so do I probably need a dog-sitter or to drop it off at an animal daycare?

I've read some books and websites but I want to get you guys opinion. I'm pretty much a new dog owner, I had one when I was like 8 or 9 but my parents gave it up not too long after we got it and I didn't have much of a say in the matter.

Jon Gu
CCS AM/NESBA #276
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 07:39 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

With a Beagle you get a lot of howling. I've got on 4 doors down and it's baying away all the time. Otherwise, he is a good dog.
Enjoy.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 07:58 PM

its like having a newborn baby, only cuter
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 08:12 PM

Beagles do tend to howl a little bit more than a normal dog. I've got 2 at home, one is a Jack Russell Terrier (somehow the calmest dog ever, and they are supposed to be nuts) and the other is 1/2 German Shepherd and 1/2 Shelty Collie.

They are both great dogs, the Shepherd Shelty would be a great first dog though. She's really smart, really goofy, NEVER has accidents in the house, and is just not a threat to anyone. Nicest dog you'll ever meet.

I think my dad had a purebred German Shepherd as a kid, from what I hear it was a great dog too. Might be a little on the large side for you? Don't really know what you're looking for.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 09:05 PM
kc6
I'm mad bro

Sportbike: butter churn
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

just buy a baby instead. when it grows up a lil bit it can be your pit crew at track days. You can even give it a cool name like "Mongo" or something.

Kevin

Ask me how to get a free kick in the teeth!
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
I break everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc6
just buy a baby instead. when it grows up a lil bit it can be your pit crew at track days. You can even give it a cool name like "Mongo" or something.
Mongo? hehehe.... is that a crack at the guy who runs WERA?

Jon Gu
CCS AM/NESBA #276
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 09:21 PM
kc6
I'm mad bro

You tryin to tell me that some poor guy is actually named "MONGO"? BWAAAHAAAAAHHHAAAAAHAAAA!!!!

I did not know that, it was actually somewhat of a reference to the movie "theres something about mary." No offense to the guy, never met him and if he runs WERA he's prolly an all right dude

Kevin

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Viva La Figa!!

Sportbike: negative.
Years Riding: long enough to know better.
How you found us: cycleforums.com

Send a message via AIM to Downforce137
I would check the rescues.. Lots of really good dogs that are taken good care of by foster owners that care. I just got a Min-Pin from a rescue a couple weeks ago. He's really well behaved, hasnt has an accident in the house, all shots, fixed and he's microchipped, so if he gets lost, I call, then they tell me where he is.. He's 8 years old also, but there are always puppies. I wanted a dog that was already trained. The price is almost always much much less than if you just went to petco and bought whatever kind of dog you wanted...

Some cases are abuse and neglect cases, but most are good dogs that the owners either couldnt care for anymore, or died.

check this out:

http://www.beagles-on-the-web.com/adopt/

http://www.1-800-save-a-pet.com/shelterpages/69610.html

Last edited by Downforce137; 11-29-2007 at 04:14 PM.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
I break everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc6
You tryin to tell me that some poor guy is actually named "MONGO"? BWAAAHAAAAAHHHAAAAAHAAAA!!!!

I did not know that, it was actually somewhat of a reference to the movie "theres something about mary." No offense to the guy, never met him and if he runs WERA he's prolly an all right dude
Hehe, well he isn't actually named Mongo, his name is Shawn, but his forum name is Mongo.

Anyways thanks for the suggestions, I'd prefer a pup as my first dog to get the entire experience, even if it does include stained carpets... Sorta like adopting a 5 yr old kid vs having your own from birth I guess. I've looked at some rescues and shelters including BREW but their young ones get snapped up so quickly that I usually don't have a chance. If I ever get a 2nd dog it will definately be a rescue.

Jon Gu
CCS AM/NESBA #276
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 09:59 PM

Like any puppy. They chew on anything. Watch your precious leathers, and take them outside first thing in the morning for a leak. I will have some pups to give away soon. Lab/Pit combo
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 10:03 PM
kc6
I'm mad bro

honestly, unless you have the money to burn at a pet store or breeder for a pure bred w/ papers that you probably don't need or care about, look in the paper. All kinds of people with mixed and barely mixed breed puppies place ads giving away or selling for cheap because they need a home. Also, its normal for a mutt to make as good or better pet/companion than a pure breed dog. More good traits and usually fewer bad traits.

Kevin

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 10:22 PM
SV650N

Sportbike: 2005 SV650SN
Years Riding: Since 1980
How you found us: craigslist

Get a crate, it helps with house training early on. I'm sure some CLSBers can loan/sell you one or know someone who does. you only need to let a puppy out 5x a day or so, but it goes quickly. don't let them in the house until you see them go #1 or #2. You'll soon recognize their 'signs' when they're ready for whatever (food, naps, etc).

Good luck, starting with puppies are the best!
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 10:37 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

Beagles don't make more noise than other dogs....but the noise is a howl not a bark. I have one....she's great. I think that you can expect to lose a little sleep from time to time, but it won't be EVERY night for months on end. If you can commit yourself to picking a routine and sticking with it, you will have less troubles. It's people who bend the rules with their dogs who find themselves up a creek. I basically had a plan with Timber, stuck with it, and she gave me very few problems in the 6 years we've been together.

That said, though, she would NOT have the crate. Wouldn't. So I gave on that. In return, she gave me good behavios and she sticks to her potty training. Doesn't go in the house. Ever.

But, I got her at 6mos-- she was mostly potty trained. I don't think I could get a puppy and have to go through all that. I almost went insane last year when my roommate had a puppy. I freaking moved out it was so bad.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 11:00 PM
kc6
I'm mad bro

oh and not being around during the day ('cept lunch) can be a problem, leading to separation anxiety which can be disastrous depending on severity. That would be the main concern, especially with a young pup in training stages. Varies with personality of the dog, some are ok and some freak when YOU aren't around, let alone NO ONE is around. Something to think about, look into.

Kevin

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 12:45 AM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

It won't be easy training the dog if you're at work all day. It's probably not the best time for you to have a puppy if you're too busy, they need someone to take them out every couple of hours when they're that young. I'm not saying it's impossible, but training will take a lot longer if you don't have enough time. Definitely crate train it if you do get one...puppies will eat or destroy anything they can. It's hard at first, but they'll learn to love the crate and think of it as their own house after a while. Buy the typical metal bar crate to start out with. I tried one of the expensive mesh ones with my boxer...and came home a few hours later to find the door shredded and torn off.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 12:58 AM
Please attend carefully..

Sportbike: 2000 ZX6R (the green one!)
Years Riding: 2000
How you found us: I've been here a while...

My groomer has a male Alaskan Eskimo she is trying to place. I don't know how old, but it does get along well with female dogs.

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - JP2

"Life is just a place where we spend time between games" - former Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero

"everyone's a nutjob, some just have more restraint than others" - EndlessRR
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 02:57 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Depending how many hrs the pup will be left alone it may be better to wait. We have 3 pups and i don't regret it a bit, EXCEPT when cleaning the damn yard up

I would personally stay away from a Beagle because of the howling. I know my sister had one and it seemed like that's all it did and with you being in a townhouse. I know with ours we crate trained them for when we are not home. Especially our Boxer, they are known for counter surfing because curosity gets the most of em I know they say with pups they can hold their bladder a month=1hr+2 or 1 I don't remember. Another words if the pup is 6months then they can hold for 6-8 hrs. It seems to hold true with our pups anyways.

Make sure you can get the pup enough excersize and you can bet the sleeping for you will suck for about the first week to month depending on the age. I would also try to leave the pup with their mother until 8 weeks even though some breeders give them away starting at 6 weeks.

I'm sure there is more, but that's all i can think about for now

Another thing try looking up forums for the breed of pup you are looking for and read up about them there.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!

Last edited by CHeYeNNe; 12-28-2006 at 04:46 PM.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 04:58 AM
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Sportbike: Ducati ST3 2005 Gloss Black, Monster 620, 2007 Sport Classic 1000
Years Riding: Crashing sucessfully since 1969
How you found us: Thru favorednation (ron)

Send a message via AIM to RickC1957 Send a message via Yahoo to RickC1957
Beagles are great dogs, friendly, fun loving, easily trained. Problems with beagle: they tend to run off, so you have to have them on a lead at all times, they love to howl, which can be annoying at times, they will literally eat themselves to death, so you have to watch their food intake, most beagles are overweight. They shed alot, plan on vacuuming almost every second day.

If your a first time dog owner the following books are a must

How to House break your puppy in 7 days

The Art of Raising a Puppy

How to be your Dogs Best Friend

If your getting a Beagle get the book The New Beagle Book.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picosnout.jpg (111.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg tireddog.jpg (180.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Pico on the table 003.jpg (94.3 KB, 14 views)

Sometimes goodbye is your second chance.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 06:10 AM
Hot-Wire Her With A Pin

Sportbike: Blue Mini Cooper
Years Riding: Done for now
How you found us: Bad weather bikers

Send a message via Yahoo to Paladin
I noticed beagles are a bit high strung but I would never bad mouth any dog.
Bought my dog and I feel guilty with all the ones that need adopting out there.

Here is beagle rescue if your interested plus you may not have to housebreak.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 06:50 AM
vroom vroom

Sportbike: '05 Z750S
Years Riding: 10 yrs
How you found us: Katanaplanet

When I had to choose a dog, I just went to the shelter and found one I liked. She was 1 1/2 yrs old at the time and totally house-trained, so it worked out great. Like you, I worked too much to care for a puppy properly so I needed something already housetrained.

-Mike
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 07:21 AM

Sportbike: Moto Guzzi V-11 sport
Years Riding: since 1998
How you found us: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzx9r
It won't be easy training the dog if you're at work all day. It's probably not the best time for you to have a puppy if you're too busy, they need someone to take them out every couple of hours when they're that young.
Right on!!!! my wife wanted a puppy after her dog had to be put down last spring...I got her one, on the condition that I have nothing to do with it. Expect alot of running for the door, barking at night, share of accidents on the floor, etc. My advice, if your'e not at home alot, don't bother with the dog and enjoy the freedom!!!
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 07:59 AM

Sportbike: A weed wacker
Years Riding: Just started today as a matter of fact..
How you found us: A dream I had once

Send a message via MSN to JRSMAIL
Dogs are great. They can be easily house broken, get a cage. They will not pee/crap where they lay.

Jon
MSF Instructor

<---- Useless

Always Stand For What You Believe In... Even If Means You Stand Alone...
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 08:05 AM
Go ahead, I'll catch up

Sportbike: 2013 RM-Z 250
Years Riding: Don't know anymore
How you found us: Saw a sticker on a bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downforce137
I would check the rescues.. Lots of really good dogs that are taken good care of by foster owners that care. I just got a Min-Pin from a rescue a couple weeks ago. He's really well behaved, hasnt has an accident in the house, all shots, fixed and he's microchipped, so if he gets lost, I call, then they tell me where he is.. He's 8 years old also, but there are always puppies. I wanted a dog that was already trained. The price is almost always much much less than if you just went to petco and bought whatever kind of dog you wanted...

Some cases are abuse and neglect cases, but most are good dogs that the owners either couldnt care for anymore, or died.

check this out:

http://www.beagles-on-the-web.com/adopt/

+1

www.petfinder.com is another site where you can search by breed and location. Another local operation is www.pawschicago.org. Good luck.

Ride safe
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 08:23 AM
Social Events Goddess

Sportbike: without currently
Years Riding: Long enough to know better, not long enough to stop
How you found us: member

If you dont plan on being home alot, then i would definatly say do NOT get a puppy. one of the only reasons it has worked well with mine and Cheyenne's dogs is because he works nights so he is home during the day and i work days so i am home at night. A new puppy should be let out regularly at about 30 min intervals if he is awake and playing, and if he is sleeping (in a crate or anywhere else or just a nap) he should be let out as soon as he wakes up otherwise you WILL have a mess. If you really want a dog right now i agree with a few other on here, go to a rescue and find maybe a 1 or 2 year old dog, they will be able to adapt to your routine alot better then a new born pup. 8 week old pups will need about 89% of your time for training. Also you said you do not have a fenced in yard, you need to take that into consideration too. Instead of just letting them out in the yard you have to take them on walks and to the dog parks for play time. Like mentioned above, make sure you have that time to dedicate to your dog he/she will end up being your best friend in years to come and they remember everything.....for the most part LOL.

Ask me ill tell you...........anything I wanna hear

myspace.com/troubleks81

David you are remembered
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 08:25 AM
Social Events Goddess

Sportbike: without currently
Years Riding: Long enough to know better, not long enough to stop
How you found us: member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSMAIL
Dogs are great. They can be easily house broken, get a cage. They will not pee/crap where they lay.

unfortunatly this does not always hold true. our pit (capone) we have a bery hard time potty training him. he really didnt care at first and almost every morning we woke to him covered in poop and/or pee. eventually he got better and is almost 100% potty trained now but the first 2 months were hell with him.

Ask me ill tell you...........anything I wanna hear

myspace.com/troubleks81

David you are remembered
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 10:05 AM
Naperthrill Drama major

Sportbike: rc51... i like twins.
Years Riding: since i was like 5
How you found us: kc50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc6
honestly, unless you have the money to burn at a pet store or breeder for a pure bred w/ papers that you probably don't need or care about, look in the paper. All kinds of people with mixed and barely mixed breed puppies place ads giving away or selling for cheap because they need a home. Also, its normal for a mutt to make as good or better pet/companion than a pure breed dog. More good traits and usually fewer bad traits.

i cant even begin to tell you how true this is...
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC1957
If your a first time dog owner the following books are a must

How to House break your puppy in 7 days

I will second this one, I used that book to house break Rusty, we had him house broken in about 2 weeks to the point where he would ring a bell on the back door when he needed to go out. to this day he has not had an accident in the house since the training period. My wifes cats are more unreliable than him.

One thing to take into account though if you train him like I did mine with the bell, if your ata friends house, he wont know how to let you know he needs to go out since they dont have a bell

Sorry Brian

Rusty was very against cage training from day one, he barked non stop all night long (literally) fromt eh time he went in to the cage till the time he got out in the morning. I did this for a week and a half, and me and the wife slept with my shooting ear plugs in all night. finally we said screw this and let him out and gated him into the laundry room where the cage was. whats funny is now he went and slept in the cage right away and happily, but if you closed that cage door it was all over . now he just uses that laudry room as his room, he sleeps in there at night, and even if I leave him out while I go run errands, he go's in there and closes the door. He really is a goof.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.

Last edited by HDTony; 10-21-2005 at 10:25 AM.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 10:25 AM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

Jon... don't get beagle. There is very little meat and it's really not ideal for my chowder recipe. May I suggest a bichon frise? mmmmmmmmmmmmm

<---- Useless Mufugga
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
oh ad with a puppy you will need a neightbor or someone to come take him out every so often, I was lucky this way, my nieghbor was home all the time and she helped us out, she was a life saver.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 10:29 AM

Sportbike: I don't ride
How you found us: google

one more word of advice.... don't marry a chick who's alergic to pet dander as you will have to give your beloved doggie to your parents. My golden retriever Meddy hasn't been happy since she had to move in with my parents and their nasty ass dogs.

<---- Useless Mufugga

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode