Anyone here keep a Snake(s) - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Weapons Tech Guru

Sportbike: Borrowed Ones
Years Riding: 11
How you found us: through SBN

Send a message via Yahoo to Ofc. Ponch
Anyone here keep a Snake(s)

With the arrival of my child in the next 7 months and the pitter patter of a 6 year old in the house I have some how convinced the wife to allow me to get a snake. In her weakend state I think i've worn her down as she's just happy I'm not asking for a cat anymore.
Anyway, I figured I'd get a pet as dangerous as my other hobbies, so snake it is!
anyone out there have EXPERIANCE with constrictors? Between Boas and Pythons I am leaning toward Boas as I don't think I'd be able to handle a full grown Python alone and I know it will be hard to find help when it comes to feeding. I also thought of a Ball Python but would like someting a litt;e bigger than 4' when mature. Thus the Boa idea.
Anyone have any input???

Arrogance has to be earned.
Serve, Protect and Break a ......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 10:13 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

yes I would suggest no python
https://www.chicagolandsportbikes.com...ghlight=python

dunno-- those things creep me out. no help here. my only experience with snakes is, well, not pleasant for them, sorry.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Weapons Tech Guru

I remember that post.
13' is normal for those type of pythons.
Reticulated Pythons can grow to be 20' +.
People have no clue what they get into when it comes to snakes. Kinda like someone who doesnt even know how to ride and goes out and buys a Busa or something like that.
I figure I'd get the scoop b4 i buy. I'd hate to come home to no family and a big ass snake in my Laz-E- boy waiting for me.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 10:45 PM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Hey I would try sending a PM to GODFATHER as he raises them and I know he was talking about possibly selling them.

Let me know if you decide to PM him and I can let him know to watch for it. I'm sure he can answer any and all questions you have.

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 10:49 PM

Snakes are nice, until the grow larger than you care to maintain. My younger sister used to have a red tail boa... beautiful snake. Ended up about 9ft long, and was getting to big for her to manage... let alone she had to feed it (which she used to catch squirrels).

She ended up giving it away.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 10:52 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

My roommate in college had a boa. Very cool pet for the most part. The feeder mice never stood a chance. As long as it was handled regularly it was pretty docile and cool to be around.

Once it grew past the 6' mark it became more ummm...Interesting. Got to the point where feeder mice were replaced by rabbits - and my buddy just lost the heart. Somehow watching Floppy get executed over and over again became sorta sad - not to mention expensive.

To each their own, but if I was going for an "exotic" pet - I'd lean toward the more vegitarian Iguanas. They get big, and they're cool.

Then again, I could just be a big pansy. I haven't ruled this possiblity out yet.

G'luck

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 11:46 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

Only suggestion is to stay clear of retic's. They arent exactly known for being "friendly".

BTW constrictors are illegal in my city by ordinance.

BUT they dont have any laws banning venomous snakes.D
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 12:30 AM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Oh come on. Some one needs to say it...

Just the snake living in my jeans.

OK, I have not had a snake in years, but a Ball Boa is pretty neat. Fairly mild temper and you don't have to worry about a 17' 100+lb monster.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 05:44 AM

Anaconda FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!!1111111111
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 06:49 AM

Sportbike: 92 Ninja 500
Years Riding: Since 09/2004
How you found us: hot biker chick

I have a ball python. No, I lied. I had a ball python. Then I got two more. But snakey gods decided to take one away. Then I ended up getting another one.

They're good beginner snakes. And hey, they're cute as all hell. They'll eat mice which set ya back $1 each a week; more so when they get older. Be sure to handle the snake but until it's got used to you, don't handle it while it's shedding; it's the equivalent of your favorite female friend PMS-ing. They'll also need a constant heat source; think "annoying little light when I want to sleep" if this might be an issue for you. Don't forget that they'll only strike a prey they can eat; so no, they won't strike you unless you, say, handle them while they're shedding, and they're not used to humans to begin with. You'll eventually learn to read them: when are they about to strike, and when are they just coiled that way because of spatial constraints.

I also find it fun for snakey to wrap some tail around my hand while he's goin mice huntin'

Be careful not to let them out of the tank and unattended. They will go hide somewhere such as the insides of your your printer, a shoe hidden deep in your closet, and any general warm hiding place.

They also give great neck rubs Just put one around your neck. Me and my one gf would constantly take the snakes with us for walks, let them swim in the bath tub, etc. And it's also funny how most people are scared of them.

They're finicky eaters though. One that you just bought, the pet store will be sure that they don't sell you a snake who doesn't eat regulary. But don't forget, they don't make body heat, so they don't eat as much as we do. Sometimes they'll go for weeks or more without eating - my first once wouldn't touch mice or rats or anything we'd try for about 2 months.

If you got any other questions, let me know.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 08:24 AM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Not necessarily the best pets to have around a new born baby. Great pet to have when you don't have small kids, I have had boas in the past and they were relatively easy to care for, and the kind of get around to eating when they get around to eating.

As far as boa vs. python, boa is much gentler, pythons can be pretty nasty. I had friends with pythons... and with their experience, I never had anything but boas.

They do get out, they do get loose. My reco is to not have one anywhere near a baby. But maybe I am just being paranoid.

Signed,

Father of 4, snakes no more.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 08:44 AM
Master Fabricator!

Sportbike: 2005 GSXR 1K
Years Riding: Since I was 6yrs old you figure it out.....
How you found us: Babette

Send a message via MSN to Godfather Send a message via Yahoo to Godfather
Your best bet for a beginner snake is the ball python they will get more than 4ft depending on if you get female (which get larger) or male. I have 10 snakes total as of right now and my ball python projects are my favorite. 8 ball pythons and 2 burmese pythons. In my experience and everyone I know of from www.constrictorsunlimited.com where I am very active, we hate to see someone go get a larger snake such as a boa, burm, retic, or anaconda on an impulse buy just because they think they are cool and want one. You do need to have decently big pockets with the larger snakes because when you get into rabbits they will eat $15 to $20 rabbits a week..... Now you may not think thats much but think of your dog? His food is the same price but lasts a month or so if its not too large a dog..... But the main concern in this decision is getting something with the best temperment and disposition and by far the ball python is the best in my honest opinion and experience and I have had snakes for the last 10yrs and help a friend down here who owns a exotic pet store.

Oh and I saw one more concern in an earlier post!!!! Do some checking around and make sure of the laws in your area!!!! You can get what ever you want and keep it but if your neighbors find out and want to be assholes and turn you in your screwed if there are laws prohibiting you from having snakes.

Oh and finally if you want to pick a normal ball python up for a decent price and from someone who knows what they are doing and not a chain place like Petco (fuck them) go to the reptile swap www.reptileswap.com I got my female burm from there. Oh and you can also get your feeders there frozen or live!!! Any other questions you can email me [email protected] I also will have some but it will be next july before they are here.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cleaning04.jpg (87.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Kids1.jpg (33.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg kids4.jpg (87.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Bret01.jpg (65.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Rico02.jpg (58.8 KB, 23 views)

Machine weights were made to keep the free weights open for powerlifters
LIFT BIG... GET BIG... GO HEAVY... OR GO HOME!!!

CB750 Chopper, V45 Magna, 900RR, & Snakes
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 08:52 AM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
I'd vote against it with little kids, there have been links to meningitis and pet reptiles. Not worth the risk IMHO.

http://www.metrokc.gov/health/prevco...s-reptiles.htm

<--------Sticky Nicky

Last edited by Sticky; 10-25-2005 at 08:54 AM.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 09:07 AM
B.O.B

Sportbike: 'nana.
Years Riding: Look at my join date, ruh-tard.
How you found us: SBN?

Send a message via AIM to EndlessRR
I bought my gf a snake a few years back, which looked something like this, http://www.southalley.com/snakes_redyel.html , which died after 1 week of owning it. (She asked for a snake, not knowing how to care for it. No heat source, proper cage, etc) Then, soon after i got her a bearded dragon. So far, the dragon has been awesome, it's got the characteristics of a pothead .(Always chill, just stares into the sky. ) Her dragon looks similar to this, http://www.bearded-dragons.com/photo/gallery-1.shtml . It's cute, easy to maintain, could go 1-2 weeks without being fed, eats crickets, mealworms, fruits, etc. I say go for the lizard/dragon, much better choice IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G
No one says you have to get drunk everytime you drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoodles
Isn't that like having sex and not finishing though?
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 09:36 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
This is , get what you want, but dragons don't get THAT big, fairly easy to maintain. I've got a Chinese Water Dragon named Pennywise. The CWDs aren't as hearty as the beareded and tend to develop snout rubbing problems (CWDs are dumb as rocks, try to push through the glass.) I've had him for over 6 months and I still haven't tried to handle him. He's small and can eat at least 8-9 crickets a day, as well as few waxworms. Dragon-wise, I'd go for a captive bread bearded. Avoid chains if you can, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't pick up ANY of the dragons I've seen at the pet store near me. They all have mouthrot, Pennywise had an infection on his back that almost killed him.

Iguanas tend to develop personalities, almost independant of how they are cared for. Do everything right and they still can turn out ungodly mean.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 09:59 AM
B.O.B

Sportbike: 'nana.
Years Riding: Look at my join date, ruh-tard.
How you found us: SBN?

Send a message via AIM to EndlessRR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
This is , get what you want, but dragons don't get THAT big, fairly easy to maintain. I've got a Chinese Water Dragon named Pennywise. The CWDs aren't as hearty as the beareded and tend to develop snout rubbing problems (CWDs are dumb as rocks, try to push through the glass.) I've had him for over 6 months and I still haven't tried to handle him. He's small and can eat at least 8-9 crickets a day, as well as few waxworms. Dragon-wise, I'd go for a captive bread bearded. Avoid chains if you can, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't pick up ANY of the dragons I've seen at the pet store near me. They all have mouthrot, Pennywise had an infection on his back that almost killed him.

Iguanas tend to develop personalities, almost independant of how they are cared for. Do everything right and they still can turn out ungodly mean.
My friend had an iguana, it got so big it took over his room and he was forced to sleep in the living room. Walked him around the block with a leash, pretty cool. My gf handles her dragon all the time, even gives him baths. Dino is about 14-15in long from nose to tail, eats about 10 crickets every other day along with fruits and mealworms, which is pretty cheap. We got the dragon when he was about 3 yrs old so he was pretty big already, plus i went to a friend of mine to purchase it and not from a pet store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G
No one says you have to get drunk everytime you drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoodles
Isn't that like having sex and not finishing though?
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 10:34 PM

Sportbike: sv650/bmw r1100s
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: google

I agree with Godfather, buy from local breeders and not from chain stores. I've heard horror stories (possibly just rumors) of how some of the larger stores get their snakes imported in crates with the snakes on the bottom dead and the ones on top very unhappy. It's traumatic for the snakes that survive the trip which, as I was told, explains why many don't eat as they should. I used to have a bunch of snakes back when I lived in Florida including a Ball Python. The ball didn't eat for a couple of months when I first got it. If you choose to the get the snake, the ball python would be a very good choice. Mine was a female and grew to about 4.5 feet long and was extremely docile.

Just my $.02
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 08:41 AM
"PC" ,my balls

Sportbike: '02 GSXR1000 (street),'02 GSXR600 (track),'94CR125 (dirt), 3x pocketbikes (oval), KTMs x 3
Years Riding: 20 years
How you found us: Google search

I have a ball python and a boa. The ball is an excellent choice for a first snake. I've been bitten a couple times by boas but I don't hesitate to let my kids handle the ball. You will need to handle them regularly to keep them accustomed to it. If you are looking for something that looks cool but don't really have the time go with either a smaller (nothing bigger than a ball) snake or even get something that requires no handling. I've had a couple tarantulas that scare people shitless, even more than a large snake. There is a reptile swap meet in Streamwood where you can buy from breeders for less than half what a pet shop charges. You can also check out Three Rivers Reptile in Joliet.

BTW, I'm in Plainfield if you want to check out the snakes.

My wife thinks we're a bunch of Top Gun wannabes with our call signs, so for future reference, I'm Roger

I've done some things I'm not proud of...and the things I am proud of are disgusting - Moe on the Simpsons
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Weapons Tech Guru

Three Rivers is where I plan to get the Boa from. I decided on the Boa after much thought with the info posted here and what I already knew. I'd been thinking about this since I was single and now with a house full of people I don't thing the Albino Burmese would work out.
So a female Boa it is. I figure if I feed it right I can stretch her to 7-10 feet with some nice gurth. The only thing i'm not sure is what boa I want. I like some of the morphs but think 5K for a snake is a little out of line. I checked out a few Amazon Boas and some Red Tails but they have a bit of a temper.

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 03:55 PM
Puppy Love!

Sportbike: 05' Gixxer 6
Years Riding: Grew up in the dirt, going on my 7th season on the street..
How you found us: Homer Simpson

Send a message via AIM to Gixx Send a message via Yahoo to Gixx
I had a red tail boa. She was cool as hell....but here is some advice...feed frozen mice, and never feed them from your hand or in the snakes cage...Take them out of their cage set them in a box...like a rubbermaid box and hold the mouse/rat with some big or small tweezers over him in the rubbermaid box. The reason for this is if you feed the fuzzies in the snakes tank with your hand dangling over him/her they will get use to that. My snake started to snap at my hand everytime I reached in her tank. Then I started the feeding box and after a while it stopped. I always prefer frozen over live, this way it's easier for me to know that it's not killing a live animal. I think all mice and rats are cute, and I just can't find a live one to the snake. That is my piece of advice....my boa - princess became sick, I took her to my herp vet and she had ahhhh....forgot what they call it....It's when they have the green build up around their mouth area...anyway I had to feed here through a feeding tube. I had to shove this tube down her throat and feed her a liquid reptile substance and a antibiotic. It really sucked....She got better, but then she got sick again and then she died.....It was quite sad. I got her from a breeder too, so I'm not sure if she a previous sickness or what.

As far as the dragons go....breaded dragons are the best!!!! I LOVE my guy! I got him when he was 5 weeks old and the size of my pinky, he is now over 2 years old and pretty big. I know their is a pic of him in the post pics of your animal thread....Beardies are by far the best reptile IMO...They are very docile and loving reptiles and they live about 12 years. They are easy to take care of and feed....if you want more info on them you can always PM me, I've had beardies since I've been a kid.

KJ

Quote:
I'm here to chew some bubble gum, and kick some ass.......and I'm all out of bubblegum!!
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 08:26 PM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerChicKJ
As far as the dragons go....breaded dragons are the best!!!!
Do you have a recipe?
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixxerChic
I always prefer frozen over live, this way it's easier for me to know that it's not killing a live animal. I think all mice and rats are cute, and I just can't find a live one to the snake.
My one girlfriend used to think the same thing. Then one day we ended up innocently putting a rat and a mouse into the tank with the snakes.

Minutes later the mouse was dead and the gf no longer thought rats were so cute.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 01:25 PM
Puppy Love!

Sportbike: 05' Gixxer 6
Years Riding: Grew up in the dirt, going on my 7th season on the street..
How you found us: Homer Simpson

Send a message via AIM to Gixx Send a message via Yahoo to Gixx
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2893
My one girlfriend used to think the same thing. Then one day we ended up innocently putting a rat and a mouse into the tank with the snakes.

Minutes later the mouse was dead and the gf no longer thought rats were so cute.
I would feed her live mice and rats every once and a while...I even have video of her feeding on them....It bothers me for like 2 minutes and 42 seconds and then I'm over it....However I've also heard that feeding frozen mice makes them less aggressive. The breeder I purchased my red tail from had about 100 snakes and he said that their are about 10 that he feeds live because that's the way it's always been and he can't get them to start eating frozen animals...and they are much more aggressive then the snakes that feed on frozen feeders....AND it's just much more cheaper and a hellova lot more convenient!!! You can also dust them a little bit in some supplements too...which is pretty much impossible on a live one....

KJ

Quote:
I'm here to chew some bubble gum, and kick some ass.......and I'm all out of bubblegum!!
MySpace
XBox Live - Gixx009
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I would feed her live mice and rats every once and a while
=-o you would feed my gf what?!?

Quote:
However I've also heard that feeding frozen mice makes them less aggressive. The breeder I purchased my red tail from had about 100 snakes and he said that their are about 10 that he feeds live because that's the way it's always been and he can't get them to start eating frozen animals...and they are much more aggressive then the snakes that feed on frozen feeders....AND it's just much more cheaper and a hellova lot more convenient!!! You can also dust them a little bit in some supplements too...which is pretty much impossible on a live one....
to me it really comes down to, how much do you want to (try to) immitate their authentic environment? all the snakes i bought ate frozen while they were in the store; and once i offered them live, they had no problem gulping them down like candy. i also had a problem with keeping frozen rodents in the same place like my food...hey, accidents can happen and sometimes i don't know what's in which little frozen bag!
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 12:18 AM
Clever Girl

Sportbike: 'Fightered F3
Years Riding: 3 years
How you found us: I woke up here.

Send a message via AIM to Noodles
I was between a snake and a bearded dragon and just brought home my BD yesterday. It's expensive for the set up because it needs an expensive mercury vapor UV light and when they are young, they eat alot of crickets. Mine ate around 2 dozen today, but should be eating 3-4 plus a salad. It's only about 5 inches long right now too. I work at a pet store in southern Illinois, so I got my 55 gallon tank, stand and all the lights, wood, dishes, and dragon for around $150 and I get 1000 crickets for $10 that I can keep at the store too. Can't wait for it to get 2 feet long.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 10:28 PM

Sportbike: yz250f
Years Riding: 25 years
How you found us: dont recall

may I recommend one of these?
http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...ic.php?t=27563
http://www.bushveld.co.za/pictures-python.htm

Theyre friendly

Mike

When the tailgate drops..the bullshit stops
Hunt ethically - Hunt with a trained Retriever !
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 12:42 AM
i need a new bike, this one is trashed

Sportbike: Yammies
Years Riding: A few
How you found us: fellow rider

I had a couple of scorpions for a couple months, that I caught ...they loved feasting on ants, cockroaches, spiders etc....watching them hunt was always fun.....the two of them seemed to be getting along really well when suddenly one morning I woke up to find the smaller of the two had dissapeared!!! On further examination of their living quarters I found few limbs of the smaller one....The bigger one passed away about a week later...probably due to loneliness
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwingop
I found few limbs of the smaller one....The bigger one passed away about a week later...probably due to loneliness
That is funny as hell. Good sig material.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 08:23 AM
Social Events Goddess

Sportbike: without currently
Years Riding: Long enough to know better, not long enough to stop
How you found us: member

I want a snake!!!!!

Ask me ill tell you...........anything I wanna hear

myspace.com/troubleks81

David you are remembered
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 08:47 AM
Enjoying Life!!

Sportbike: 09 Night Rod Black Denim
Years Riding: Not Long Enuff!!!!
How you found us: Friends

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by krys
I want a snake!!!!!
Want in 1 hand and shit in the other and see which fills faster!!

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode