Why I lost the promotion (RANT) - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA

Why I lost the promotion (RANT)

(The title should read, "drunken cranky rant," but there's not enough room.)

I put in an application this morning for a transfer and promotion out of my department. The boss shot it down about an hour later, with a copy to his boss, saying that I was a "high value" employee and that he couldn't approve the thing.

Then, about ten minutes before I leave work this afternoon, he calls me in and closes the door, and basically repeats what he told me before: some line of BS about how I'm a high-value employee, and so it's really important that I stay on where I'm at for that reason. Of course, there's no money involved with being a high-value employee, but I suppose we can't have everything, now, can we?

Then he goes on to make clear that he and his fellow managerial minions are really just afraid that their department is going to get picked clean in the next reorganization, which is coming up in a couple of months, and left with all the slackers. So, as a result, they're putting a lockdown on all the not-slackers so they don't lose them.

That's a kick in the teeth, no? I mean, you spend all your time trying to do your job, and then some, you pick up for the slackers, and what do they do but put your career on a dead-end street. And on top of all that, you get a "B" performance rating for the trouble.

So, since I don't want this to be all rant, I guess I should ask the question. Would it be better for me to dump a couple gallons of that self-expanding foam stuff into my boss's office and let it do its thing, or should I just put a rat in his desk?

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 08:13 PM
Yamahaulin !!

Sportbike: 2003 R6 Liquid Silver
Years Riding: 4 yrs
How you found us: on line

foam... harder to clean.

Sorry bro.. thats what I call BULL SHHEEET

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary . . . that’s what gets you” Jeremy Clarkson
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 08:16 PM

Play the cards and make him sweat. If you are a high value employee than you deserve more..
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Wild slide rule roots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyco
foam... harder to clean.
Maybe so, but a rat has more symbolism.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 08:25 PM

Take a day off - make sure it gets around that you're interviewing elsewhere. Scare them a bit. I'd also not do something so drastic yet. Try hiding a bag of shit somewhere in his office, behind a file cabinet, etc...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 08:33 PM

Rotten eggs work qiute well. Hide it above the ceiling tile. In a week or two it will stink like hell. Make sure to poke a pin hole in it
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 09:10 PM

Sportbike: 08 R6 , CRF250R
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: chicagorussionriders

Take it with a grain of salt.

There are many ways to squeeze bigger bang for the buck from the employee. Telling stories like how "valueble", "irreplaceable","appreciated","unique" you are is an example. Motivate is what the management is trained to do. Well , that is in addition to making sure that there are no "irreplaceables" in the team

Everybody is equal, everybody works on their piece. And that is ok. My point though is : keep your goals in mind and know your market value.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 10:31 PM

Always give people more than they expect to get
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 10:36 PM
YO MAMA

Sportbike: 2010 Electra Glide Police Edition 103cu
Years Riding: a long time!

go back in and put in for a raise, since they dont want to let you go to another dept for the fear of loosing someone they need in theres, which denys you a pay increase.

so put in for a pay increase.

now is the time.

from the sounds of it, they gonna be chopping some heads, if yours isnt one of them then give me more money, also start looking for other business to work.

back yourself up IF ya fall off that horse.
and if you dont fall hopefully you just get a pay increase.

shop, shop, shop.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 12:06 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
"high value" is pure bs. I'd go with the "take a day off, make like you are interviewing" route, but actually interview. They'll pony up the cash if they really need you. I've been through 2 reorgs..trust me, it's best not to be around. Either way, you are screwed. Update your resume, shop it to decent headhunters. Let them know your goals and start looking at the various career websites.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 01:08 AM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

If they take your stapler and don't return it or if they move your office to storage room B, take it as a hint to find a new job.

Kick that shit to the curb, Andrew. Try to find a new job. Don't be a "barnacle" sticking around while the ship is going under.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 03:52 AM

one reason i hate the corporate world.

High value employee means, you know what your doing. Therefore, if you got your promotion. The managers would have to do more work because the dumber employees would be screwing things up all the time.

Kiss ass to the CEO not your own boss, because hes looking to get promoted.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 05:20 PM

Sounds like they want you to take a promotion and pay raise outside the company.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Wild slide rule roots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
"high value" is pure bs. I'd go with the "take a day off, make like you are interviewing" route, but actually interview. They'll pony up the cash if they really need you. I've been through 2 reorgs..trust me, it's best not to be around. Either way, you are screwed. Update your resume, shop it to decent headhunters. Let them know your goals and start looking at the various career websites.
Well, frankly, my goal is to help put Hopkins on the podium next year, but somehow I don't think there's any way they're going to help me achieve that.

The reorg does not faze me one bit--I've been through three already, so I know what to expect. They reorganize quite a lot over there, about once every 18-24 months on average. Seeing as how it's a pretty low-turnover operation, they are just a way of life for everyone in the company. My coworkers and I are just too far down in the structure to be affected much by them.

Believe it or not, I'm not worried about getting a bigger paycheck. The job I was requesting would have had a potential for more money, it's true, but I would have gone in at close to my current pay level. It's not a bad level to be at, either: I'm still here, still riding, so I can't complain about that.

But there's another bit to it. For whatever reason, this particular "high-value employee" has been chained to desk work for the last eight months, doing a lot of administrative work and other non-jobs. That work sucks. The pay's the same per hour, but the satisfaction, the psychological paycheck, is just about nil. I don't mind working in an office, which surely does have its advantages about 2/3 of the year, but just sitting around and writing up procedures to regulate how employees should stir their morning coffee just isn't going to cut it.

I just wish there was more employment in my field around here. About all there is is my current employer, and the contractor to my employer. Anything else would involve moving pretty far away, and that would mean pulling up a lot more roots (including this one that I'm writing on right now) than it's worth right now.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 01:17 AM
pfft.

Sportbike: 01 F4i (Well, I HAD one, anyway)
Years Riding: 7
How you found us: I google myself regularly

Start looking for another job, because after a conversation like that you basically aren't going to work all that hard anymore. Try as you may, your mind will make the connection between "hard work" and "no promotion."
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
I think my work would start slowing down dramaticly right about now. remember they only promote the dumbass's cause its the easyiest way to get rid of them and they wopnt get HR complaints filesd against them for that. We all know this istrue , look how many people are in upper management and have no clue what they are doing.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 09:09 AM
Chief Apex Inspector

Sportbike: The Bird is the *word* - XX
Years Riding: Lots
How you found us: Stuck on the bottom of my race boot.......

Dude...... It's bullshit.

Schedule a meeting with your boss to discuss your career.

Have a defined goal for where you want to be / what you want to acomplish in the next 12 Months, the next 36 Months.

Discuss how your day to day activities are preparing you for this path.

Consider this ... What is your managers plan to help you acomplish this plan ?

Consider this... If he cannot articulate his plan for you or will not collaborate with you on the plan
and commit to interim goals HE DOESN"T HAVE A PLAN FOR YOU BEYOND WHAT YOU ARE DOING
and his "valuable employee" talk is BULLSHIT.

He tells you you are valuable to placate you and keep you doing what you are doing.

If he believes that you can grow, he will work on the plan with you.... the goals along the way
will be real, measurable and time-bound.... if you do X you get Y at N time.

If not, you have two choices ..... live with the gig knowing they do not view you as advanceable
or start looking for a new gig that meets your personal 12 and 36 Month goals.

FWIW .... more money is important ..... However, it's not a goal, it's a by=product of success.

Good luck

Tom

T2
It's ALL between the ears.....
NESBA Midwest CR #82 ( Hey - T2! ) Retired ?
FJR and a Big Red Wing-Thing
BLARNEY's GARAGE

Last edited by BLARNEY; 11-20-2005 at 09:16 AM.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 11:02 AM

Sportbike: 2006 FZ1
Years Riding: I only take walks
How you found us: Friend

Send a message via Yahoo to Cougar8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony
I think my work would start slowing down dramaticly right about now. remember they only promote the dumbass's cause its the easyiest way to get rid of them and they wopnt get HR complaints filesd against them for that. We all know this istrue , look how many people are in upper management and have no clue what they are doing.
+1. This is so true.

Alex - Certifiable MSF Instructor
2006 Yamaca FZ1
The truly happy person enjoys the scenery on a detour

A man should choose a friend who is better than himself. There are plenty of acquaintances in the world; but very few real friends.

RIDE for Kids Donations

https://www.mishacycles.com
MishaCycles on facebook
Misha Tactical Arms, Inc
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 12:20 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

Why not go another level above your boss and see what they think?
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 12:49 PM
Please attend carefully..

Sportbike: 2000 ZX6R (the green one!)
Years Riding: 2000
How you found us: I've been here a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZe Inc
Why not go another level above your boss and see what they think?
Morrand,

I was thinking of that too, although it could backfire if your boss is one of those people who becomes a poster child for Midol when someone does an end run around him/her.

Another option would be to use your review to do what BLARNEY suggested, which would be to discuss your carreer objectives. Often that is one of the topics covered in the annual review anyway, so simply take advantage of an existing process whereever you can.

But you know your company environment and office politics the best.

"Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it." - JP2

"Life is just a place where we spend time between games" - former Philadelphia Flyers coach Fred Shero

"everyone's a nutjob, some just have more restraint than others" - EndlessRR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode