Getting a title - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike: R1
Years Riding: 1
How you found us: no

Getting a title

I bought a bike without a title, it isn't stolen I looked that up before I purchased it and if you don't believe me I will give you the VIN and you can do so to. I call the sec of state and they said it has a salvage title, and that someone purchased it from an auction but they don't know who or at least they aren't telling me. I purchased it from a guy who supposedly bought it from a tow company with no title. The bike is almost complete now and definetly driveable, so I am wanting to get a title so I can ride it next year. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 09:06 AM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Need to take it to a certified rebuilder who can certify it is rebuilt. You can then take that paperwork to the secretary of state's office to get a rebuilt title. That's about the best you can do.

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 09:11 AM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

...or you can take it out to the Lombard PD (it's the closest auth'd inspection center) with whatever paperwork you have. Make an appointment with an inspector, and they can certify the bike to be re-titled.

It will cost $, and you better be damn sure the bike doesn't have a questionable past. If it does (no matter what the seller told you) they will keep the bike, and you'll have lots of 'splaining to do.

It's ugly no matter what, and the DMV isn't "fast" with such things. If you plan to start riding when the snow melts, I'd suggest you get the ball rolling now.

G'luck

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 10:09 AM
Infectious Human Waste

Sportbike: <600cc's
Years Riding: 9

Send a message via AIM to Milenko Send a message via Yahoo to Milenko
Id been wondering where to take one too, thanks underdog on the heads up about Lombard PD.

Even heroes know when to be scared.
..As I shifted into 6th, I forgot every f'in thing she said..
Im a fuel injected suicide machine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criminalgrrl View Post
I'd let him pee in my butt
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 10:16 AM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

LOMBARD RULES! You city folk steer clear!..
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 10:35 AM

Id been wondering where to take one too, thanks underdog on the heads up about Lombard PD

I dont think its the lombard PD, its the inspection center on Rosevelt RD. in the same building as Maco, Its the SOS police, and they can explain how it works and answer any questions you have.
Hope that helps
R
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

You guys are awesome, I posted this on another forum and all they did was give me shit. Thanks
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis72184
You guys are awesome, I posted this on another forum and all they did was give me shit. Thanks
Welcome to CLSB

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 12:17 PM
I do it in the dirt!

Sportbike: 05 CRF250R #606, 03 XR70
Years Riding: lots
How you found us: Intarwebz

Only licensed rebuilders can do the rebuild paperwork. They are supposed to supervise the inspection process according to IL law. Individuals can't just take a rebuilt salvage titled vehicle to inspection and get a rebuilt title. The process can take 2 months until you get a rebuilt title in your hand. You can also expect to pay about $1,000 in state fees and taxes. Make sure you keep all your receipts, title history report (if SOS can give you a printed copy) and especially your bill of sale since you don't have the title.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

What if I were to have someone put a mechanic's lien on it, would they get a title?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 12:15 AM
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA

They could get a title, but it's still going to be a salvage title. Just having a lien isn't going to change that.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: [email protected]
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

can you get plates on a salvage title? and at least if I had a title I could get a rebuilt one easier
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA

No. A salvage title typically means that the vehicle's not reliably safe to drive, and as a result, can't be licensed. In order to get plates, you need to have it inspected and certified rebuilt. That puts a note on the title indicating that it's a rebuilt vehicle, and allows you to get plates.

You will probably need the title to get plates. One of the big things they're looking for (and a reason why it's the police that are inspecting, instead of a mechanic) is a vehicle that's been put together in a chop shop out of stolen parts. Having a valid title, even a salvage one, helps prove that you're the rightful owner.

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: [email protected]
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz
LOMBARD RULES! You city folk steer clear!..
My old roommate got a DUI in Lombard a few years back...don't tell him Lombard Rules!!

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Grid Marshall.

Sportbike: Tweener
Years Riding: Do I have to start over now?
How you found us: Followed the Bread Crumbs...

Send a message via AIM to Cerk
Wow, this is all news to me...i had my 2000 F4 stolen a year and a half ago...bastards

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacitus
In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 09:25 AM

Salvage to Rebuilt

Hey guys. I have something similar, but not quite like the original post.

I need to get a Rebuilt title for a salvage bike. I bought the bike in Ohio from a licensed rebuilder. I have the salvage title signed over to me, sales receipt, and I have docs indicating what was fixed on the motorcycle.

I called the Villa Park inspection station (closes to me) and they told me there's no way. Not only does a rebuilder have to be the one to take the bike through the process, but the bike has to be in the rebuilders name. So, I would have to title the bike over to a rebuilder, then the rebuilder would have to get it inspected and retitled "rebuilt", and then he can sign the title over to me. WTF... let's jump through some hoops.

Tell me it aint so. Are you saying that if I take it to the Lombard police station somehow they will take care of it so that I can get the bike titled "rebuilt" on my own?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. At this point I'm thinking I need to get a rebuilders license, or find a rebuilder who's willing to work with me.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozjidar View Post
Hey guys. I have something similar, but not quite like the original post.

I need to get a Rebuilt title for a salvage bike. I bought the bike in Ohio from a licensed rebuilder. I have the salvage title signed over to me, sales receipt, and I have docs indicating what was fixed on the motorcycle.

I called the Villa Park inspection station (closes to me) and they told me there's no way. Not only does a rebuilder have to be the one to take the bike through the process, but the bike has to be in the rebuilders name. So, I would have to title the bike over to a rebuilder, then the rebuilder would have to get it inspected and retitled "rebuilt", and then he can sign the title over to me. WTF... let's jump through some hoops.

Tell me it aint so. Are you saying that if I take it to the Lombard police station somehow they will take care of it so that I can get the bike titled "rebuilt" on my own?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. At this point I'm thinking I need to get a rebuilders license, or find a rebuilder who's willing to work with me.

I bought a bike from Tennessee with a salvage title. They did not see the small print of "salvage" on the Tennessee title, so they gave me a clean title at the sos office

It was my understanding then, that I could get plates with a salvage title. Just that the "salvage" designation would be there always to let potential future owners know of its past.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I bought a bike from Tennessee with a salvage title. They did not see the small print of "salvage" on the Tennessee title, so they gave me a clean title at the sos office

It was my understanding then, that I could get plates with a salvage title. Just that the "salvage" designation would be there always to let potential future owners know of its past.
Sounds to me like you just lucked out. No chance of that happening to me, my title says "SALVAGE" in five different places.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 12:34 PM

Well, Lombard police station didn't have a clue what I was talking about.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SLaYeR View Post
Only licensed rebuilders can do the rebuild paperwork. They are supposed to supervise the inspection process according to IL law. Individuals can't just take a rebuilt salvage titled vehicle to inspection and get a rebuilt title. The process can take 2 months until you get a rebuilt title in your hand. You can also expect to pay about $1,000 in state fees and taxes. Make sure you keep all your receipts, title history report (if SOS can give you a printed copy) and especially your bill of sale since you don't have the title.
Well, you're pretty close with the total. I found a guy in Markham (Speed Limit Cycles) who does salvage and rebuilding and will get the bike inspected and retitled for me. His fee including towing charges $300. State fees and title transfers $439 and 7.75% tax on purchased value.

Lesson learned: If you're going to buy a salvage bike, make sure you're getting it at least $1500-$2000 below what the bike would go for if it was not a salvage, otherwise you're just getting a lot of hassle for no real savings.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerkMX View Post
Wow, this is all news to me...i had my 2000 F4 stolen a year and a half ago...bastards

Your suppose to take the key out when you go into the mall for a couple hours.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 11:30 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?

Any bike without a clean title is meant for the track or the stunt lot. The hassle to go deal chasing for a street bike is NOT worth it. Lombard PD used to be the only listed inspection site. That may have changed.

Check out the DMV website for more info on where to go and how to do it.

You can always purchase a clean frame or parts bike on eBay and swap - but that's a headache on top of a headache.

Best bet - check with the Secretary of State's office. Letting them point you in the right direction is better than handing anything over to the theivery @ Markham.

My two cents.

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Any bike without a clean title is meant for the track or the stunt lot. The hassle to go deal chasing for a street bike is NOT worth it. Lombard PD used to be the only listed inspection site. That may have changed.

Check out the DMV website for more info on where to go and how to do it.

You can always purchase a clean frame or parts bike on eBay and swap - but that's a headache on top of a headache.

Best bet - check with the Secretary of State's office. Letting them point you in the right direction is better than handing anything over to the theivery @ Markham.

My two cents.
Well, suffice to say that if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't do it. I'd go out, buy myself a regular used bike, and be done with it. But, that's neither here nor there, cause I have the salvage and I have to deal with it.

I did call the secretary of state. If you're not a licensed rebuilder you can not get the bike retitled. Period. And I've even looked into what it takes to become a licensed rebuilder. Easy if you have a business. I don't. So, I don't really have a choice. I can either go through the process, or I can try selling the bike as is. I figure either way it would cost me the same amount of money. In one case I loose it and I have no bike and in the other case I pay it and I have a bike.

Actually I did take it to the "thievery", although from my initial experience I wouldn't call it that. Curious why you do... Care to enlighten us?

I met the owner of Speedlimit Cycles and turns out he's a fellow NESBiAn. He was actually very up front about everything, and he's fees are very clear. Basically his charges are $400. $200 for his trouble and another $200 to tow it back and fourth to the two inspections it has to go through. $50/tow. That seems reasonable. Other than that I'm paying a sales tax on the "stated value" of the bike, which is actually up to me and a lot less than it's actual value, and all the state inspection fees and title, registration, etc..

I guess in a month we'll see what the outcome is. Assuming all goes well, at least I'll have my bike. Maybe not at the huge discount over market value I thought, but a good bike none the less.

Ah well, live and learn... the hard way.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 10:23 AM
Armed law abiding citizen

Sportbike: '74 Yamaha RD350
Years Riding: idk
How you found us: Google

Speedlimit has a few bike that are... questionable. They rebuild a lot of bikes, and may or may not disclose that information. If you know what you are looking for,af far as repairs, it is very odvious. If you appear to know what you are talking about, they are very straight forward about it. I may be buying a Speed Triple and doing a mega build on it. Looked at one there, and they gave me all the skinny on it. The part that got me is when the guy game me the card to Madman Bikes (someone they work closely with), winked, and told me to call them for any used parts I need for my build. Hmmmm. Great place to buy gear though. A lot of people in that area can afford the bikes, but nohthing else. So gear is cheap. You can negotiate the price of gear there. At least I did on my helmet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode