Brake inspections are worth the money.. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes
 
Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
CLSB's Florida Chapter.
 
MoparBoyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Apopka, Florida
Posts: 22,652
Location: Apopka, Florida
Sportbike: Ducati
Years Riding: 3 days
How you found us: unemployment office
           
Send a message via AIM to MoparBoyy
Brake inspections are worth the money..

Got a car in shop today were the customer said "i think the brakes are making noise"

OMG were they ever.. sounded like a freight train draggin a car when you hit the brakes.. I have never seen a rotor worn so badly...

excuse the shitty picture, its with my camera phone, the rotor is so worn down you can see the cooling fins thru the rotor surface!!

some people.. "it just started to make noise" LOL.. yeah right, maybe 6 months ago..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dec02_001.jpg (28.8 KB, 1 views)

-Mopar

1997 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Dart Rallye
MoparBoyy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

 
Vcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Winfield
Posts: 43,229
Location: Winfield
Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!
           
Send a message via AIM to Vcook
so are you saying you cant just turn them down to resurface them?





Chris
Vcook is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 03:52 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 179
           
Those look fine to me, who needs to brake anyway
Glasuan is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 03:54 PM
The Victim Newbie
 
clearwaterms's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Westchester, IL
Posts: 7,384
Location: Westchester, IL
Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com
           
Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasuan
Those look fine to me, who needs to brake anyway
yeah thats the purpose of the car in front of you

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
clearwaterms is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Fear is the mind killer
 
ChiefBD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waukegan,IL
Posts: 8,772
Location: Waukegan,IL
Sportbike: 05 GSXR 600, 03 RM 250
Years Riding: Thousands of miles, multiple engines
How you found us: www.gsxr.com
           
That guy looks like he was ready to start braking Flinstones style, .

Xbox Live GOW Killer
Handle : ChiefBDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"Ride it like you have 30 monthly remaining payments" should keep most people out of trouble.
ChiefBD is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 04:16 PM
.
 
Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,985
Location: Chicago
Sportbike: 05 DRZ-SM, 80 GS1100E, 99 KTM 125SX, 03 KTM 200MXC
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: ?
           
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Send a message via Yahoo to Ryan
Try working in a shop down the street from a trailer park . That's about a weekly occurance by us. I've seen them drive 'em till they broke a chunk off the rotor. The best one was a guy bought a used LHS and brought it to us because "it pulls to the left a little when you hit the brakes". The right front caliper was missing, the brake hose was cut and a bolt hoseclamped in to plug it .

-Ryan
Ryan is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 04:17 PM
B.O.B
 
EndlessRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ill.
Posts: 17,550
Location: Ill.
Sportbike: 'nana.
Years Riding: Look at my join date, ruh-tard.
How you found us: SBN?
           
Send a message via AIM to EndlessRR
Holy fuckballs, NICE ROTOR!!!! And braking is for noobs, that's what downshifting is for!! DAMN that rotor is worn the fack out!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2G
No one says you have to get drunk everytime you drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoodles
Isn't that like having sex and not finishing though?
EndlessRR is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 04:28 PM
Administrator
 
HDTony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Plainfield IL
Posts: 45,956
Location: Plainfield IL
Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.
           
Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Fizzer600
Try working in a shop down the street from a trailer park . That's about a weekly occurance by us. I've seen them drive 'em till they broke a chunk off the rotor. The best one was a guy bought a used LHS and brought it to us because "it pulls to the left a little when you hit the brakes". The right front caliper was missing, the brake hose was cut and a bolt hoseclamped in to plug it .

-Ryan
Oh yes I remeber when I was about 19 I worked at the pepboys in hodgkins as a mechanic. we used to get all the cars in from the triler park just south of there and west of there. there were some real prizes. I had one 82 firebird come in casue her brake pedal felt soft. I put it up on the lift took the front wheels off, inspected them, surprisingly they wrerent to bad, just need some pads and a cut, so I'm thinking "awesome I got off easy on this one" then I took off the rears.

pulled the wheel off, then pulled off the drum well some of the parts came with the drum and hit the floor, I then hung my head in shame for underestimating one of the trailer park cars, I knew I wouldnt get off that easy. The entire backing plate for the drum brake system had completely rusted through, The springs were falling out, anything that mounted to the plate was falling off (which as you kow is everything) So I figure ok complete rebuild, cant be sooo bad. Well the 3 bolts that hold the baking plate to the axel had become one with the axel, I dont mean just rusted in place I mean act of god, freak of nature, x-files kind of stuck bolt. 4 hours later, after torches, air hammers, grinders, easyouts, a rubber chicken, and every drill bit that we had in the store I finnally got through and was able to instal the new plates and build the brakes back up. oh did I mention this was a waiting job, she was inthe waiting room all this time bitching about how long it was taking.

This was one of the sdefining moments where I decided maybe being a tech wasnt for me




HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
HDTony is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 04:34 PM
.
 
Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,985
Location: Chicago
Sportbike: 05 DRZ-SM, 80 GS1100E, 99 KTM 125SX, 03 KTM 200MXC
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: ?
           
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Send a message via Yahoo to Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony
Oh yes I remeber when I was about 19 I worked at the pepboys in hodgkins as a mechanic. we used to get all the cars in from the triler park just south of there and west of there. there were some real prizes. I had one 82 firebird come in casue her brake pedal felt soft. I put it up on the lift took the front wheels off, inspected them, surprisingly they wrerent to bad, just need some pads and a cut, so I'm thinking "awesome I got off easy on this one" then I took off the rears.

pulled the wheel off, then pulled off the drum well some of the parts came with the drum and hit the floor, I then hung my head in shame for underestimating one of the trailer park cars, I knew I wouldnt get off that easy. The entire backing plate for the drum brake system had completely rusted through, The springs were falling out, anything that mounted to the plate was falling off (which as you kow is everything) So I figure ok complete rebuild, cant be sooo bad. Well the 3 bolts that hold the baking plate to the axel had become one with the axel, I dont mean just rusted in place I mean act of god, freak of nature, x-files kind of stuck bolt. 4 hours later, after torches, air hammers, grinders, easyouts, a rubber chicken, and every drill bit that we had in the store I finnally got through and was able to instal the new plates and build the brakes back up. oh did I mention this was a waiting job, she was inthe waiting room all this time bitching about how long it was taking.

This was one of the sdefining moments where I decided maybe being a tech wasnt for me

The same thing happened on my 85 Camaro . Edit: I just noticed you worked in Hodgkins, I work right near there in Justice. You were probably getting some customers from the same trailer park .

-Ryan
Ryan is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 04:36 PM
Administrator
 
HDTony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Plainfield IL
Posts: 45,956
Location: Plainfield IL
Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.
           
Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Fizzer600
The same thing happened on my 85 Camaro .

-Ryan
Damn those cars sucked!!! What a figgin nightmare. From then on everytime I saw one roll in I convienently had to take a shit.




HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
HDTony is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 04:38 PM
.
 
Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,985
Location: Chicago
Sportbike: 05 DRZ-SM, 80 GS1100E, 99 KTM 125SX, 03 KTM 200MXC
Years Riding: Since 2001
How you found us: ?
           
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Send a message via Yahoo to Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony
Damn those cars sucked!!! What a figgin nightmare. From then on everytime I saw one roll in I convienently had to take a shit.
Yeah my Camaro pretty much sucked. I think I paid $800 for it like 7 years ago. That was when I was still working a parts counter so I only thought I knew what I was doing . Everything I did to that car turned into a clusterfuck.

-Ryan
Ryan is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 05:17 PM
Listen to Motley Crue
 
norton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Illinois 60050
Posts: 2,339
Location: Illinois 60050
Sportbike: POSER
Years Riding: 3 Years
How you found us: Shadrach
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessRR
Holy fuckballs, NICE ROTOR!!!! And braking is for noobs, that's what downshifting is for!! DAMN that rotor is worn the fack out!!

+1
norton is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 05:23 PM
Administrator
 
HDTony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Plainfield IL
Posts: 45,956
Location: Plainfield IL
Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.
           
Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Fizzer600
Yeah my Camaro pretty much sucked. I think I paid $800 for it like 7 years ago. That was when I was still working a parts counter so I only thought I knew what I was doing . Everything I did to that car turned into a clusterfuck.

-Ryan
Ya I owned a few vehicles like that as well when I was younger.




HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
HDTony is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 05:29 PM
Resident Slow guy
 
Ohfugit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,771
Location: Chicago
Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker
How you found us: Google
           
Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
Quote:
, x-files kind of stuck bolt.
I never heard that one before.

I went to go visit someone I knew and there were guys working on their brakes in the lot... they said the pedal was bumpy.
They had the wheel off when I came out.. only one side of the rotor was there, the other was riding on the cooling fins, (bumpy pedal)
Holy crap.

Ohfugit is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 11:38 PM
Wild slide rule roots
 
Morrand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago (W. Humboldt Pk.), IL
Posts: 1,735
Location: Chicago (W. Humboldt Pk.), IL
Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony
pulled the wheel off, then pulled off the drum well some of the parts came with the drum and hit the floor, I then hung my head in shame for underestimating one of the trailer park cars, I knew I wouldnt get off that easy. The entire backing plate for the drum brake system had completely rusted through, The springs were falling out, anything that mounted to the plate was falling off (which as you kow is everything)
Yup--had the same thing happen on my '77 Impala. The Merlin tech said he took the drum off, and the entire rear brake assembly fell on the floor. One of the springs had cut a neat groove in the drum. He threatened to hang the surviving bits on their "wall of shame" at HQ.

Oh, did I mention that, when I bought the thing, the previous owner had cut off the rear brakes entirely?

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: [email protected]
Morrand is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 12:24 AM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP
 
shadrach's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: South Loop & Cary
Posts: 11,948
Location: South Loop & Cary
Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google
           
I've seen rotor's worse than that come off a car.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
shadrach is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 12:42 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 21
 
thats messed up
Jason1080 is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 01:40 AM
Cuddlie as a koala
 
YZFRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Where its free.
Posts: 7,511
Location: Where its free.
Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTony
Ya I owned a few vehicles like that as well when I was younger.
Hell I own one right now.
YZFRob is offline  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 02:52 PM
1,2,3,4,fif!
 
half-fastracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Logan Square
Posts: 244
Location: Logan Square
Sportbike: 95 Rocky Mountain Hardtail - 23.5lbs
Years Riding: Zero on a motorcycle
How you found us: BadWeatherBikes.com
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Fizzer600
..."it pulls to the left a little when you hit the brakes". The right front caliper was missing, the brake hose was cut and a bolt hoseclamped in to plug it ...
Thank you for the best laugh I've had in a week!
half-fastracing is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome