PC racing game - Microprose's GP500 - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

PC racing game - Microprose's GP500

Does anybody have it, or know where to get it?

I have a demo of it (that I've had for a little over 3 years now.) I haven't played it in awhile, and dug it out and reinstalled it a few hours ago. I forgot how COOOL this game is! Great graphics (they were KILLER 3 years ago, but they're still really good!) GREAT framerates, plays excellent even on an older PC (my old PII 266MHz machine played it really well!)

Unfortunately, I can't find it ANYWHERE! I remember a few online places had it way back when... but at the time, I was a poor college student, and was content at playing the demo. People are still playing it, as I've found TONS of little webpages full of extras and add-ons (2002 season bike sets, etc.) But I want the full-blown version. If I remember correctly, back when this game was released in '99, it wasn't available in the states. Now that it's 3.5 years old, I can't even find anything on it on Microprose's site. Anybody know where to get it, or have it that might let me 'borrow' it for a few days? (Just to make sure I like the full-blown version before I get it from overseas, of course..)

You can d/l a copy of the demo here: http://www.geocities.com/honda_xr_600/gp500.html

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

Found a place here in the US that sells it

http://www.gogamer.com/cgi-bin/GoGam...uct/View/001GP

It comes with the '98 season bikes... but I've already found a site that has all the '02 bikes, as well as the '02 AMA bikes, etc. http://gp500store.m4driving.sm/gp-store.htm

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 04:17 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

cool you ordered it, let me dub it!

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

Hahhaha... aww c'mon Jim it's only 30 bucks!

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 05:24 PM

Sportbike: 2002 CBR F4i
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: Original Gangsta

Send a message via AIM to maks
Woohoo, I'm awesome at this game!
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 06:02 PM
(no comment)

Sportbike: 98 YZF-R1, 2004 FJR1300
Years Riding: since 95
How you found us: Stumbled in

I thought I was the only one into this game. I've had it for a few years now. The best part of the game is that it is almost completely editable and updateable.

The game wasn't really designed this way, but over the years, there has been this group of really talented and creative guys that have been hard at work creating new bike models, bike and rider skins, track updates, and lots of other bits to make the game more realistic and up-to-date. We have WSBK, GP500, 250GP, MotoGP, British SBK, AMA SBK, and streetbike bikestes to race. The only major thing not yet worked out is new tracks, and there is a guy working on a Laguna Seca replica now.

Go to the GP500 Store to see more http://gp500store.m4driving.sm/

We also have a forum to discuss any problems with the game and new creations.
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/224521

Here's a shot of a new RC-51 created by Steffen VW for the WSBK bikeset complete with Colin Edwards skins.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 08:21 PM
Jim
Tgf Og

Sportbike: trek
Years Riding: 2
How you found us: the smell

Quote:
Originally posted by OmniGLH
Hahhaha... aww c'mon Jim it's only 30 bucks!
dude i already spent 50 bucks on moto gp for xbox, it rocks, now if only i had fast internet connection i could play against others!!

Join the NRA, help protect our Second Amendment rights
GO Bears!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

Yeah Rice this game is pretty bad-ass. I remember it came out at exactly the same time as Motorsims' AMA Superbike. I had to decide between the two (limited budget) and went with AMA. While GP500's graphics were better, AMA felt more like a "sim" (only if you rode "right" - stayed off the grass, didn't crash, etc.) Plus I liked that I could ride the AMA tracks, on MY bike (it had all the 600s in it.) Unfortunately, after playing it a few months, the bugs got kind of annoying... I wish I would've gone with GP500 instead.

New tracks would RULE! I wanna see RA, Mid-Ohio, and Brainerd....

As for the bikes... are they just skins, or are they actually new bike models? As in... if I go with an AMA RC51, does it behave differently, or does it still ride like a 500cc 2-stroke? Oh... and another question. What do you use for a joystick? I have a dual-analog gamepad (very similar to a PS-2 controller.) I want to use the 2nd stick for throttle... but the demo doesn't recognize that it's even there. I hope the full version DOES or I won't be happy. I hate using a button for throttle...

Have you tried playing online over dialup? Is it playable?

I ordered my copy today with FedEx overnight, I should see it Tuesday We need some online racing going on

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 10:14 PM
(no comment)

I really like the way GP500 plays compared to SBK200/2001. Much more realistic handling, even if the graphics aren't as good.

New tracks are still a dream,but there is work going on and one of the original creators stopped in the other day to check things out and he said he'd take a look into getting a source code for the game or anything that might help in the way of developing new tracks. Talkis cheap though, it's been promised before.

As for the new bikes, YES, they are new MODELS. The old bikes are long gone and everything has been updated from the skins, to the fairings, wheels, brakes, etc. There are slicks, wets, street tires, Bridgestones, Dunlops, Michelins......... Everything has been updated including power and handling characteristics for the new bikes.

If you're just getting started, you have a long, long way to go and you need to be somewhat computer literate to even get started. There are a few.dkz files in the game, that once opened, allow you to get in and insert all the new updates. It can take quite a while to understand what's going on and how to change things, but once you do, it makes the game 100x more enjoyable. Every couple weeks it's like having a new game. I even have a 1998 R1 model painted just like mine with a rider in a blue/black Kushitani Dragon suit and Blue haga Replica Arai helmet......just like mine. My original avatar was a snapshot of the game.

You need to go to the GP500 Store and download the tutorials on how to get started editing the game. If you have any questions, let me know and I can try to walk/talk you through them.

As far as it being played online, I've never tred it, but I think it may be possible. There are worldwide off-line championship leagues that run off of this site http://motogp.2in.de/
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

Well... the FedEx man delivered my copy today.

I am addicted, that's all there is to it DanO I am coming over tomorrow, I'll bring it...

We need to get a few more peeps into this game, and then set up some online competition!

I have the AI set to 50%, and have to bust my butt to do well. I qualified with a 2:13.1 at Suzuka (and it took me about 2 hours to finally get down to that pace consistently), which only gridded me 9th out of 14... and I finshed 7th. Hardest I've ever fought to finish for 7th place.

Online this game has to be a riot.

Jim, you don't know what you're missing. Makes MotoGP look like a kiddie's toy... I wonder if it's possible to make an "evaulation" copy, just for you to try out

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 08:48 AM
Wannabe racer

Sportbike: KTM, GasGas, Sherco
Years Riding: Lost too many brain cells to remember
How you found us: Duh!

I'm up for the MotoGP XBox Live action if anyone else has it. It would be cool to race against each other. I don't have a PC that I can use for games, so XBox is my only option.

C'mon Jim get DSL then we can race.

Either that or you can stop by sometime and just plug into the network
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

Well.... rumor has it that Xbox will drop another $50 by Christmas - knocking it down to $99.99. When that happens I may be tempted to buy one....

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 12:06 PM

Sportbike: 2002 CBR F4i
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: Original Gangsta

Send a message via AIM to maks
Quote:
Originally posted by OmniGLH
Well.... rumor has it that Xbox will drop another $50 by Christmas - knocking it down to $99.99.
Wtf, they're $150 now?!
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 12:20 PM
BEER!

Sportbike: '01 SV650S (Pokey!) '02 Honda CR125 (Blockhead)
Years Riding: 5
How you found us: SBN

Send a message via AIM to Grover
Buddy of mine got one for $150 with 2 games. Granted, those games weren't his choice (couple sports games), but it's more than the competition is putting with it.

Chris

NESBA/CCS #142
AIM: GroverSV650S
Dirtbikes are not submarines
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 02:33 AM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

Downloaded the demo tonight. It was 17mb on my 56k dialup, but it was totally worth the wait. I love this game.

The best time on the only track I can race in the demo is only a 2.25, so I obviously have some work left. I can't seem to do a full lap without lowsiding it a couple times

Anyways, I'm probably gonna buy this because it's the best bike game I've played. Vice city is cool to screw around on, but this is the real deal. I love how you can set the front and rear brakes to separate keys so you can lean forward and hit the front brake to do a stoppie. Cool stuff like that.

I tried arcade mode only once and have been doing simulation mode since, is that what most everyone uses?
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

Yeah, I don't use anything BUT simulation. Anything else would be sacreligious!

I'm getting better and better at it... I cut a few 56s at Mugello earlier this afternoon, and I'm pretty consistent in the 57-58s. It's taken me quite a few hours to get this fast. And it's still not fast enough to win - even with the opponent strength set to 50%! I'm not sure where else I can make up time to get much faster...

Game is fantastic tho. The other tracks are at least as much fun. You can bet after my big Polish dinner tomorrow (Babcia doesn't cook turkey) I'm gonna be parked right here playing it

A tip: it's ALL about the corner speed. (Not crashing helps too tho ) Try not to go below the power in 2nd gear... keep your speeds up. The only turns that are 1st gear at Mugello are T1, and the last right-hander 180, before the little kink before the front straight. And even that one, I'm not sure about. I usually kick it down to first and powerslide it out.

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 12:14 PM

New best time of 2.01

I really started to get the hang of it when I began racing so I could see how the other racers were taking the turns and what not.

The only thing that sucks is you can't powerslide for very long otherwise you'll crash, but I assume that's what happens in real life.

Another thing that sucks is the game gets a little choppy for me at times. I have an AMD 500 with 186mb of ram so you'd think it'd be ok for a '98 game, but maybe with XP running and a not-so-great video card, it doesn't help.

Anyways, this game still rocks
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

Might be your video card

I used to play it no problem on my old P2 266MHz machine with 256MB and a nVidia TNT2 card. It plays fine on my MP3 machine downstairs too (I mainly use it for MP3 playing, but it's hooked up to my bigscreen ) That's a P3 500MHz, 64MB and a GeForce4 MX. I have the detail cranked to "MAX" at 1024x768 and it only seems to get choppy if I run a full field of bikes (24.) If I keep the number down to under 15, it plays fine.

I would guess it probably has to do with your video card.

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 04:41 PM

I got my buddy's to download the demo too. I think we're all gonna throw in a few bucks and get the real thing so we can play it over the LAN :E
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

Have you guys tried playing the demo over a LAN? I'm not positive, but I thought you could.

I'll have broadband on the 19th of Dec... we'll have to set up a big online game. That'll rule

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 12:44 AM
(no comment)

Quote:
Originally posted by crazeinc

I got my buddy's to download the demo too. I think we're all gonna throw in a few bucks and get the real thing so we can play it over the LAN :E
Is this at Donnington? If you're using the keyboard, you HAVE to get a joystick or something. I just beat the track record tonight and ran a 1:29.4. I've been trying soooooooo long to do that, it felt so good.

I did it with the new Honda RC211V of Valentino Rossi. get to the GP500 store and get those old games updated too!!
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

I'm guessing it's probably at Mugello.

I haven't run Donington yet.. hmmm... gives me an excuse to go play a few rounds

I tried updating to the 2002 MotoGP set, but it kept crashing on me, so I quit and went back to the '98 set. I didn't have a problem getting the "road bikes" set to work. I think I'm just missing something somewhere. Not to worry, I'll mess with it and get it going. I've been riding the '98 RGV-gamma.. curious to try out that new Honda tho!

Time to go bust a few laps...

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

A 29.4?! :B

Sheezus that's flyin!

I managed to cut a 32.032... but most of my laps were low 33s. This was on the '98 Suzuki RGV. I don't know how I'd manage to cut another 2.5 seconds off of that! I like this track. It's fun and FAST.

I *did* see, once, 221kph (~137mph) down the back straight before that little left-right kink. (Not top speed, but whatever speed it posts after you get on the brakes, and that little "New Track Record" appears.) All of my other laps were ~205kph. Unfortunately, I crashed in the 180 right-hander after that, so I never did see what kind of effect it would've had I haven't had that good of a drive out of the two rights before that straight since, so I guess I'll have to work on that tomorrow to see if that'll make the difference...

Anywho... on the 29 I'm going to bed.

PS - to the mods if they're listening - what happened to the little smiley with the eyes that were buggin' out? We need it back!!!

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-

Last edited by OmniGLH; 11-30-2002 at 02:25 AM.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

PPS - do the '02 GP bikes seem any faster? More hp, higher top speeds, easier to control?

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 12:32 PM
(no comment)

Hard to say really since I haven't used the original bikes is so long. I do know some of the guys who create these new bikes work with the physics files to make the bikes more realistic in comparison to each other. I raced Rossi's bike and I was able to go much faster than I did on Aoki's Proton. The Proton was a good bike in the corners, but the RC211v's , M1's and XREO's would just pull away in the straights. It really makes you have to ride harder. A lot like the V4 and V2 bikes in the original game. Different bikes do have slightly different charachteristics, but they are hard to notice. Have you found the "cheat" bikes yet? Those bikes have some big HP differences.

As far as your game crashing with the 2002 bikeset, did you get an error box when it crashed? The nice thing about the game is that it will usually tell you that the "game failed to load data\textures\MotoGp\Proton\bike\.bmp" or whatever file you are missing. It helps ou go back into your Micropose folder and sort things out.

Have you extracted all the .DKZ files?
Have you put the correct GPParticipants.txt file in the data folder?
Do you have the 101 wheelpack installed?
These are all basic and essential parts to updating the game. It gets very frustrating in the beggining, espescially now as the game has progressed so far. A lot of the modelers and skin painters make their updates with the experienced GP500 guy in mind and forget about the beginners.

Make sure you check out the tutorials section and download these files. Learning how the GPParticipants.txt file works is absolutely the most important part of modifying this game. I have a printed copy in my desk drawer that I reffer to every now and again when I have a problem.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 07:32 PM

Yup, I'm still using the demo so I only have the Mugello track.
New best of 1.55.7

And I did that with the Honda V4 bike that weighs 100kg or whatever it is.

I played it over the LAN at my buddy's place since the demo supports that and it's FUNNNNNNNN as hell.

I'm definitely buying the real thing and updating the bikes and what not. Do the street bikes actually perform like they're supposed to and sound differently? Or do they just look like a street bike on a race-bike setup?
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 08:23 PM
(no comment)

Most of the street bikes look just like they are supposed to, and there are many different soundpacks you can use to try and get the right sounds. It's a bit tricky with the sounds because the game wasn't designed to have as many different sound files as would be necessary in a race with streetbikes and GP bikes and superbikes. It's kinda limited there.

As far as the correct power for the street bikes, I have an R1,so in the game my bike hangs with the GP bikes, just like in real life.

Honestly, there are some slight differences, but not as drastic as they would be in real life. If someone got really good at editing the bike physics, it would probably be possible.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Sportbike: bikeless
Years Riding: 10
How you found us: Shit, you know I'm a clsb OG!

Send a message via AIM to Vcook
ok, who is going to burn me a copy of this?

Chris
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

FINALLY got the '02 bikeset working! I don't know if the '02s are any faster in general - but the Honda is pretty f-in WILD! I'm actually slower on it, I keep spinning up the rear. I managed to cut a 1:30.x on the '02 RGV... still haven't seen a 29 tho... I'll get there...

On the plus side - I got my wireless internet hooked up... so who's down for some online racing???

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 07:05 PM

Time to revive this thread from the dead.

I still haven't bought the full version yet. (*Cough* Jim burn a copy please *cough* ) BUT... I started playing the demo this last week or so and I had to brag I just ran a 1.50.9 at Muggelo. This is with the original bikes that came with the game, too. Rossi doesn't have shit on me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode