Boiler went out 2 nights ago, F*** its cold in here!!! - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: 04 Zuma, 06 Crf50
Years Riding: sho' nuff!
How you found us: Nesba

Boiler went out 2 nights ago, F*** its cold in here!!!

The boiler (steam radiators) went out in the FIL's 2flat 2 nites ago. It is a bit chilly.... I can see my breath as I type. I guess those steam boilers are getting harder to find these days. The guy managed says it should be fixed my midnight hopefully..... brrrr!!!

Anyone have an idea of what pricing should be so I can see if this guy is on the up and up?

thoughts of that 50 group buy will keep me warm....(i'm thinking that I will have to make some sacrifices to get it)... and some good ol Hacker. I don't even need to put it in the fridge .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 07:13 PM
CRF50 Squid

Sportbike: K6 GSX-R 750, 1971 CL350
Years Riding: Veteran Poser
How you found us: Google

Send a message via AIM to Blah Blah Blah
What exactly went wrong? My boiler is 80 years old and it still works like a charm. The only parts I keep onhand are thermoscouples, which wear out over time, $3.99 at Home Depot. That and I clean out the chymney once a year.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 07:21 PM

when i watch this old house, they are still building brand new boilers.

I'd go out and buy a small electric heater, to heat a room up. They work pretty wel..
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maoisn
What exactly went wrong? My boiler is 80 years old and it still works like a charm. The only parts I keep onhand are thermoscouples, which wear out over time, $3.99 at Home Depot. That and I clean out the chymney once a year.
i forgot what they are called, but they are underneath, near the flame. 2 of them cracked and are leaking lots of water.

do they make steam boilers, or the hot water boilers? they dude was saying they are moving away from the steam boiler. the HW boiler are all over the place but then we would've had to convert the bldg.

electric heater is on the way!! faucets are dripping also.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 07:47 PM
CRF50 Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevisR6
do they make steam boilers, or the hot water boilers? they dude was saying they are moving away from the steam boiler. the HW boiler are all over the place but then we would've had to convert the bldg.

electric heater is on the way!! faucets are dripping also.
Apparently they still do make steam boiler furnaces.
http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewcat..._Steam_Boilers

Dunno if these will fit your needs though.

Prices start at $1,400 and up. The big costs though would be from removal, disposal and installation of the new unit. According to my State Farm inspector, all that work as to be done by a licensed professional and you better have a certificate of inspection. I have my certificate posted right on my boiler. StateFarm use to come and inspect me once a year but this year all they asked me to do was take pics and send them in.

As for faucets, Moen is the way to go. Lifetime warranty if anything goes wrong, including leaks. I have a few Moens that are 12+ years old and still works like new.

"The man who makes me your enemy, it is he who be the guilty one....Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!"
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 07:57 PM
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
Quote:
I've been taught
check the water level in the tube for the correct range,
a couple gallons of water is drained every few weeks until the water runs clear, as the sediment seems to settle to the bottom.

In the spring we shut off the gas, clean the burners, and generally check out and clean the whole deal, there is a screen water filter that is in the water feed valve that is replaced or cleaned also replace anything that was spotted leaking and fill it completely with water until it is brought back in service in the fall.(sort of like you do to your cycle gas tank in the winter)

For the original question.
Are they welding the leaking portion or is it some type of pipe connection.

Last edited by Ohfugit; 12-12-2005 at 08:06 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 08:01 PM
The Victim Newbie

Sportbike: 2007 mountain bike
Years Riding: just started
How you found us: svrider.com

Send a message via AIM to clearwaterms Send a message via MSN to clearwaterms Send a message via Yahoo to clearwaterms
Quote:

Prices start at $1,400 and up. The big costs though would be from removal, disposal and installation of the new unit. According to my State Farm inspector, all that work as to be done by a licensed professional and you better have a certificate of inspection. I have my certificate posted right on my boiler. StateFarm use to come and inspect me once a year but this year all they asked me to do was take pics and send them in.

As for faucets, Moen is the way to go. Lifetime warranty if anything goes wrong, including leaks. I have a few Moens that are 12+ years old and still works like new.
he has the faucets on leak so that the pipes don't freeze, thats what he is talking about

<-- Chris

turn the bars left and go right; that just isn't right
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 08:05 PM
CRF50 Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohfugit
We do a little more, ours is old as well
we drain a couple gallons every few weeks as the sediment seems to settle to the bottom.

also in the spring we shut off the gas, clean the burners, and generally clean the whole deal, also replace anything that was spotted leaking and fill it completely with water until it is brought back in service in the fall.
I don't drain it until the winter is over. Maybe I should do it more often now. I shut off the gas also in the spring and clean it here and there. Damn, now I am all worried and need to do more servicing to my boiler.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 08:05 PM
CRF50 Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms
he has the faucets on leak so that the pipes don't freeze, thats what he is talking about
Gotcha, that makes sense.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

make that hard to find a steam boiler around here when your in a pinch... like when the boiler blows and it's 16 degrees outside

layering is the key, i'm up to 3 layers with 2 pairs of fat ass socks, gotta have warm tree grippers!

we have the honeywell "heat giant" going now. it's working overtime, but I can no longer see my breath.

they are just replacing the whole unit. they said they couldn't replace the "doojamafloppies" that were broken. kind of looks like rusted thru cast exhaust manifolds??? they can replace them on the large units but not on the smaller ones. I'll have to tell the FIL about the boiler maintainence, i'm not sure that he did any type of maintainance ..... i think the boiler was 30 years old.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 06:39 PM
Wild slide rule roots

Sportbike: 2002 Suzuki TL1000R, yel/blk (Street) & '04 GSXR750 (Track)
Years Riding: 8
How you found us: Got the link through NESBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevisR6
they said they couldn't replace the "doojamafloppies" that were broken. kind of looks like rusted thru cast exhaust manifolds???
Flue tubes? Does that sound right?

Morrand
NESBA #561 (I)
Jabber/Google Talk: [email protected]
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 06:55 PM
Resident Slow guy

Sportbike: 250x_Dirtbike Triumph_Tripled_955i 90_H-D_Bagger CR80_Mini_Motard
Years Riding: Street_LOOOOOOONG_Time Track Backmarker

Send a message via AIM to Ohfugit
I thought those were modular and you could replace.. or even do without one for awhile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode