FireFighter - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
PL

Sportbike: '03 SV1000S
Years Riding: 3
How you found us: google

FireFighter

Hey guys, I started to think about firefighter career long time ago. Since, there is nobody I can ask, I am asking my fellow riders. So, where should I go? Requirements? I've heard that there will be an entrance exam this spring in Chicago. How can I prepare myself? Is that only way to enter this career? Any firefighters on the board? A lot of questions but, I hope, someone can help me. Any info will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 02:17 AM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciej-xx
I've heard that there will be an entrance exam this spring in Chicago. How can I prepare myself?
If you aren't doing on call fire fighter work and have a really good "in" it's going to be tough. I know guys that have been working and preparing for many, many years for a chance to test for Chicago. It's worth a shot I guess.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Bug
Ridiculously Good Looking

Sportbike: Sportbike?
Years Riding: No F'in Idea
How you found us: 4 & 6

I work with alomost every FD in the S & SW Burbs and know most of the Chief's - PM if you have a certain town in mind

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW, what a RIDE !!"
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 11:23 AM

Sportbike: FJR1300
Years Riding: greater than a decade.
How you found us: google

Send a message via AIM to NickIF
The easiest way to get in is to get into the medical side. 90% of departments require EMT-Basic and a growing # are now requiring a Paramedic license. Rumor has it the city is requiring EMT-B for their upcoming test.

For example I tested for elmhurst last year who required a EMT-basic license and there were 500 other people also shooting for 1 or 2 spots. A buddy tested for Streamwood who required a paramedic license and there were only 60 applicants (and they were hiring 6). So do the math, it's much easier to get hired if you're a medic. I've never tested at a place that had no requirements but I can only imagine the # of applicants. I just graduated the Christ hospital paramedic program so I'm going to start testing everywhere. Goodluck

Here is the requirements copied and pasted for Schiller Park right now. Most of the suburban departments are like this:

Applicants must be at least 21 years of age, but less that 35 years of age on December 23, 2005 (applicants who are 20 years of age and have successfully completed two years of fire science studies at an accredited college or university may be eligible to apply). All applicants must be licensed as a Paramedic in the State of Illinois at time of application. Appointment to the eligibility list will be based on a written, physical agility, and oral exam. Final determination will be made upon completion of a psychological, polygraph, and medical examination. Cooperation with a background check is also required.

some good websites to check out are www.firehouse.com www.911hotjobs.com www.ifpra.com

the internet is your friend

Last edited by NickIF; 12-14-2005 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode