Bicycle for the wife - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
VTwin FTW!

Sportbike: 2013 Ducati Diavel Cromo
Years Riding: 20
How you found us: Friend

Bicycle for the wife

My wife would like a new bike, and I would like to get her one for Christmas. She does 1-3 Triathlons a year, all sprints and super sprints, no full ones. So I would guess she is a beginner in that sense. She is about 5' 4" tall. She said she would like a racing bike, but there are so many, where do I start. I saw a KUOTA K-FACTOR that looked interesting, but I don't know what size bike she would need. I'm not looking to get the best bike available, because money is somewhat of an issue and she is not a professional and doesn't plan to be.

Any help and suggestions would be of great help to me.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Mike

"Life is all about ass ... either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, sitting on it or trying to get it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 05:52 PM
Special Agent Lance Boyle

Sportbike: 2010 KX250F
Years Riding: 26
How you found us: Sportbike Network

Send a message via AIM to Sticky
Terry makes female specific road bikes and are well suited for someone that size.

http://www.terrybicycles.com/product.html?c=Bicycles

Otherwise for a mass produced bike a Specialized would do nicely; they also make female specific bikes.

<--------Sticky Nicky
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 06:21 PM
Slum Overlord

Sportbike: 03 GSXR 1000, 02 RM250, 03 TTR125L
Years Riding: considerable time
How you found us: install job

I know that this will potentially detract from the suprise aspect of the gift, but I would recommend taking her to a couple of local, reputable shops and have her "fitted" for her new bike. At the very least, she can test ride several models and pick the one that she likes best.
There is a lot more to getting the right size frame than stand-over height.

the uncarved stone
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 06:27 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

I would stick with a male's bike. They have more rigidity. Trek has a nice beginner race bike for around $1000. I forget the model but it's about the cheapest one you can find that will be able to upgraded as gets better. I got my wife a Cypress LX hybrid and she loves it. But she does more excercising on the road with and and a race bike wouldn't have been very practicle.

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 06:35 PM

Why don't you put a picture of a bike in a box and then tell her you'll go out and get one for her but you wanted her to make sure she likes the feel of it?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 06:41 PM

Sportbike: '09 Yamaha R15, '07 BWM X-Challenge, '05 SV650, (2) '00 VFR, '84 RZ350
Years Riding: 14
How you found us: Speedzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy
I would stick with a male's bike. They have more rigidity.
In general when you look at the men's bikes verses women's within the same model you will find that the tubing and joining methods are no different. The only main differences might be a sloping top tube and/or a shorter stem, and in general would not mean less rigidity. Most of the "womens bikes" are more marketing then anything else.

I agree 100% with BMoney. Standover height is one thing but more critical is the length of the top tube. Take your wife in for a proper fitting, and ask her questions...she already might have a pretty good clue what bike she's looking for. Most shops are also pretty cool with swaping out stems, bars, posts, etc to make the fit what it's suppose to be.

"and yes, I will be serving strawberry shortcake right out of my bikini bottoms. just come on by with a spoon and scoop it out of my ass crack." ill_ag

"Why would I beat someone with a pillow when all I really want is dirty coochy?" ill_ag
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 07:13 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

I would go with Cannondale, you simply can't beat the performance and resale. Resale is important, when you want to trade up. Also, have her get fitted for the bike, this is crucial for best performance. The dealer will be able to best determine what she wants out of the bike and recommend one. I ride a Cannondale MTB, it's the best bike I have ever ridden.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 08:32 PM
This show is 'Rated NC17'

Sportbike: Honda's & Yamaha's
Years Riding: Late 80's
How you found us: CLSB found me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D
I would go with Cannondale, you simply can't beat the performance and resale. Resale is important, when you want to trade up. Also, have her get fitted for the bike, this is crucial for best performance. The dealer will be able to best determine what she wants out of the bike and recommend one. I ride a Cannondale MTB, it's the best bike I have ever ridden.
D I T T O !!!I love my Cannondale! The best for so many reasons! Built like a KTM. Great right out of the box! Very strong resale. Not another Trek (nothing wrong with Trek - Just everybody has one) which is cool for the unique, fun factor! I also like the 'Made in America' aspect (even though I own three Hondas and a Yamaha currently ). Too much more to list. Wait! Let's not forget that Cannondale tried there hand at MX!!!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. ~ Buddha
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
VTwin FTW!

Who sells the Cannondales around here?

Mike

"Life is all about ass ... either you are covering it, kicking it, kissing it, sitting on it or trying to get it."
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 09:40 PM

Sportbike: 2000 Hayabusa Blue & Silver! Mods-> Oh yeah!
Years Riding: Oh just a couple or so....
How you found us: Old SBN days.......

Wow! I just read this and its so funny because i am in the SAME boat you are. My wife does about 3 triathalons a year (mini) and she wanted a new bike. (she currently uses a mountain bike) She went in a few months back to get measured for a bike and when she said she wanted one i said forget it! i am not gonna pay a $1000 bucks for something you use only 3 times a year! Well she wanted a pilot 1.2WSD (womans bike) but they cant be had before X-Mas so i bought her the next best thing which is a WSD Trek. i think its a 1000 but not 100% sure.

ANYWAY-- Do NOT get her a mans bike because its a gift for her.

This is the place i bought the bike, computer, all attachments and the fluid thing where she can ride it stationary. I would not get the aggressive triathalon bike though because its uncomfortable to train with.

Call these guys. They are REALLY GOOD!
2 seasons
1818 Irving Park Rd.
Hanover Park IL
630-213-2133

The guy i deal with is Tyler. Mention my name and i KNOW he will help you with whatever you need Mike!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 10:20 PM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

If she's really into it, you should get her a real tri bike. Otherwise you'll end up buying another one later on anyway. Entry level ones are around $1200.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
VTwin FTW!

The more I look into it, people tell me I should have her fitted to the bike. The triathlons are for fun only, nothing serious. I'm not crazy about dropping $1,000-2000 on a bike for something she'll rarely use, but for the most part, she let's me get what I want. I now want to get a Yamaha Warrior, so this may get me some brownie points towards that.

Mike

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 10:51 PM

Mike like i said earlier.........This guy Tyler talked me into the lesser triatholon bike called the Trek (WSD). I bought the bike, computer (speed/distance), accessory bags, the bars for racing, the stationary fluid trainer, front tire leveler for the staionary riding, stand, and a few other things for around $1100! Cant beat that and the bike is AWESOME!!!

PM me if you want more info........ My wife is roughly 5'7 and she measured out to a 54" bike. Dont ask cause i dont know! Once i give her the bike for X-Mas she will take it back to them and they will adjust the bike completely to her fit!

You really do not need to get her a professional bike that runs 1200-1500 bucks! This WSD Trek is awesome!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 10:56 PM
Bop your way home...

Sportbike: Hypermotard
Years Riding: since 99'
How you found us: Googled "bullshit artists"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFactory
Who sells the Cannondales around here?
I can recommend Dan's Bike Shop in Berwyn. 708-484-5000, I deal with Nick but I don't think he works there anymore. This shop has been around forever.

I have heard good things about a dealer in Evanston, I don't know the name but they are a supposed to be a good Cannondale dealer. That's one thing about a Cannondale, you want to make sure the dealer will go to bat for you with parts and service. Some of Cannondales technology is very unique and a lot of shops don't know how to deal with it.

-Alan-
Balancing the Paradox
of Art and Profit
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 04:39 AM

Sportbike: .
Years Riding: .
How you found us: .

Cannondale.com has a dealer locator so you can find the closest one.

Mission Bay in South Elgin is my pick. They only sell road and tri bikes.

www.missionbaymultisport.com

Last edited by jimzx9r; 12-15-2005 at 04:42 AM.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 08:55 AM
Giddy Up

Sportbike: 2002 ZX7R
Years Riding: 8 Years
How you found us: google

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiecker
In general when you look at the men's bikes verses women's within the same model you will find that the tubing and joining methods are no different. The only main differences might be a sloping top tube and/or a shorter stem, and in general would not mean less rigidity. Most of the "womens bikes" are more marketing then anything else.

I agree 100% with BMoney. Standover height is one thing but more critical is the length of the top tube. Take your wife in for a proper fitting, and ask her questions...she already might have a pretty good clue what bike she's looking for. Most shops are also pretty cool with swaping out stems, bars, posts, etc to make the fit what it's suppose to be.
+1

Regardless of the price you want to spend definitely get her properly fitted for a bike. A quality shop will normally sell both entry level and high end stuff. I've seen Felt's, Specialized, Cannondale's, etc. road bikes for under $1K. Whether she is doing tri's for fun or not...a well fitted, quality bike will only add to the fun she is already having (but if it's for fun only I wouldn't necessarily recommend a straight tri bike). But it's definitely good you are researching this beforehand. Too many people just walk into a shop and walk out with something they don't like long term. Also, look at a shop's/bike's warranty and service (if you don't plan on doing your own). A lot of shops provide free lifetime adjustments, free limited time tuneups, etc. which is worthwhile (and a cost savings) as well.

Also, depending no where you live a shop relatively close to you is advantageous. I'll have to search around to see if there are some in your area. One thing I do know is that I am not a fan of Village Cycle Center. But I have bought from Kozy's on Webster/Clybourn in the city and been happy (but that is mainly b/c of the salesperson and specific mechanics I deal with there).

Good Luck!!

Maybe I'll see her at the Fleet Feet Supersprint Tri at Foster Ave. Beach in '06

***Hans***
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 09:02 AM
Grammaton Cleric

Sportbike: 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
Years Riding: Since 07-01-2001
How you found us: Google, I believe

Send a message via AIM to MrBusa Send a message via Yahoo to MrBusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoney
I know that this will potentially detract from the suprise aspect of the gift, but I would recommend taking her to a couple of local, reputable shops and have her "fitted" for her new bike. At the very least, she can test ride several models and pick the one that she likes best.
There is a lot more to getting the right size frame than stand-over height.
Agreed. For higher performance bikes you need to get fitted. It's not like the old days where you can walk into Toys R Us and just pick a Huffy. When I got fitted for my Trek 2300, it turned out that I was WAY off, I thought I was going to need a different size frame and I was off by two frame sizes.

-- Matthew --

"I'm just a simple man trying to make his way in the Universe" - Jango Fett
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 09:45 AM

A bike is a lot like shoes or any other clothes, just because it says the right size it does not mean it fits. You need to have her sit on a few bikes so you know which one is right for her. If you want it to be a surprise, I would wrap a bicycle bell or something small with a gift certificate for a new bike. Then let her help pick the right one.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
VTwin FTW!

Everyone thanks for your ideas and suggestions. I went with Kelly's recommendations and bought a bike from 2 Seasons. It's close to my home and Tyler was a big help. I got pretty much the same setup as Kelly did for his wife. I know she'll love it.

Thanks again Kelly.

Mike

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 04:47 PM

Anytime bro!
Thats what this site is ALL about!

<--Kelly

2000 Hayabusa
2006 Honda CRF50
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 07:45 PM

Although you already bought one... if she is into the triathlon thing I was going to recommend a Kestrel Talon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode