Questions for all of you skiers. - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Sportbike: Kawi ZX-10R
Years Riding: Since February 2012
How you found us: NESBA bbs

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Questions for all of you skiers.

From Chris's thread I gather we have a good number of skiers on the board. I am curious as to what kind of skiing you all do.

I used to Alpine ski when I was a kid. My elementary school had a ski club since we were about 10 minutes from the chairlifts. I got out of skiing, sadly, and haven't been for almost 25 years. Now I'm back, but not Alpine.

I'm learning to Randonee/AT ski. So my question is what kind of skiing do you all do? How many Randonee skiers are there and do any of you telemark ski? I'm planning on learning that next winter.

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Slow Old Guy.

Sportbike: Inline Two Wheeled
Years Riding: Since the beginning of time
How you found us: Dan Ortega sent me

Alpine, and I love it.

===========
Great Quote - One would think that the Secret Service was smart enough to get serviced secretly.

MotoVid hasbeen
NESBA hasbeen

CCS neverbeen
WERA neverbeen
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 12:54 PM
TOOS Racing

Sportbike: gsxr 1000 gsxr 750
Years Riding: enough to know better
How you found us: googled "pussies on bikes"

watching someone rip on telemark skis is impressive. if i was going to do alot of back-country skiing i would definitly learn. since most of the skiing i have done is lift served or easy access back-country (OB at jackson hole is ridiculously easy to get to) i will stick to alpine equipment. and snowboarding is only slightly more difficult then tabogoning.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 12:54 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

A variant of Alpine. It's called Yard Sale.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 01:20 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

Alpine...since freshmen year HS. Like everything else, used to be decent until I got fat a few years back. I haven't been skiing locally for at least 5 years...Im an "outwest" snob I guess.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz
Im an "outwest" snob I guess.

I guess you could say I'm the same. I skied Sandia, Santa Fe, and Taos in New Mexico. In Colorado I've skied Vail and Purgatory. Those are mountains.

I was shocked to learn just last year that there are "ski areas" in Wisconsin and Michigan. My first response was, don't you need mountains? Then I saw one of the ski hills in Wisconsin just off of I-90. I chuckled. I guess if that's what you have to ski then ski what you have, right?

Never a bad time to climb... unless the weather is really horrible, and then you climb inside!

I bleed GREEN
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 01:29 PM
Lovin this Twin

Sportbike: 05 SV1000S, Wide Glide, DR350
Years Riding: 1/2 hour then it rained
How you found us: member

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan Send a message via Yahoo to Hooligan
Alpine here too....I used to ski with a friend of mine who telemarked, It was really cool to watch but looked exhausting,
Myself, Greg"who tele's" and Billy the Kid went to the top of Steamboat in 36 fresh inches , Amazing day, You find out how bad of a skiier you really are when you ski with a pro for the day!

Kinda like track days!

Kruz I went locally for the first time in 15 years, It wasnt to bad actually, that day Chestnut had about 6 fresh inches though.

This is gonna hurt!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 02:08 PM

Sportbike: 05 CRF50
Years Riding: "Since 1992"
How you found us: You found me

That's the one in Geneva right? Off of Lake? Man it's been a while. Id go check it out again. Im more of a tree skier...don't really like moguls/jumps too much unless it's over a boulder or something. Id never even heard of tree skiing until my first trip out west many moons ago.

It's kinda like hiking but faster and in the snow.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

I've done Alpine and Cross Country but, I prefer Snowboarding. I don't own skis.

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 02:38 PM

i have been an alpine skier for 25 yrs. never tried telemark and have absolutely no interest truely. backcountry OB is fun but I have never found myself in need of the telemark skis to get out.

not sure if you were asking level of ability but i am on the advanced to expert levels and ahve been since my early teens.

i have been to the places in WI a couple times but I definitely consider myself an outwest snob as well. Vail, Beck, Keystone, A Basin, Beaver Creek, Steamboat, Snowmass, Copper, Loveland, Deer Valley, Park City, Solitude, Sundance, Snow Basin and so on have all been my conquests. Been around enough that I am slowing down my travels to the worthy snow playgrounds.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 02:40 PM

Sportbike: looking to get dirty!
Years Riding: long time
How you found us: SBN

I used to do some mogul comps here and there. I haven't been in at least 6 years. I assume I suck and my equipment would be outdated by now

Brian (F.K.A. Crazy)

Gamertag: CRAZY403

“You can’t escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”

-Abraham Lincoln

“Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.”

-Herbert Hoover
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 02:46 PM

Sportbike: FJR1300
Years Riding: greater than a decade.
How you found us: google

Send a message via AIM to NickIF
been snowboarding for 9 years now. Still haven't been out west.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 02:48 PM
TOOS Racing

Sportbike: gsxr 1000 gsxr 750
How you found us: googled "pussies on bikes"

if you are a skier and have never been to Alta, you really owe it to yourself to go. after 150 days at Jackson Hole i finally went. Alta truely is amazing.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 02:55 PM
yo quiero su taco

Sportbike: Honda CBR 954 blk/slvr
Years Riding: 10 years
How you found us: They found me. Follow the white rabbit.

I don't really ski. But, on the weekends I put on my gear and skiis and pose up at SOW.

"includes 10 used-car dealers or auto repair shops, 11 liquor stores and bars--two of which advertise lingerie fashion shows and a third billed as a "gentlemen's club"--three cut-rate motels and one trailer park. The squat, brick municipal building is next to a currency exchange and a few steps from an adult video store. The bars open at 10 a.m. and close at 6:30 a.m."

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Something must be fishy...I am going to go poke around in the back end..
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Old Squid on a Blade

Sportbike: 2000 929
Years Riding: Longer than most of you have been alive. And I'm still slow.
How you found us: The voices in my head told me to come here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
I guess you could say I'm the same. I skied Sandia, Santa Fe, and Taos in New Mexico. In Colorado I've skied Vail and Purgatory. Those are mountains.

I was shocked to learn just last year that there are "ski areas" in Wisconsin and Michigan. My first response was, don't you need mountains? Then I saw one of the ski hills in Wisconsin just off of I-90. I chuckled. I guess if that's what you have to ski then ski what you have, right?
That sounds like Cascade. A little further NW is Devils Head. They have a baby black run. BTW, what you can't do in the MidWest you can't do in Vail. Any skiing is better than no skiing. Since we had our daughter Grace and I have not done much skiing (1 or 2x a year), but she is now 5. Time to get back into it. We used to do 1 day runs up to Devils every other weekend so we would be sharp for Vail.

There is nothing firm, nothing balanced, nothing durable in all the universe. Nothing remains in its original state, each day, each hour, each moment, there is change. Change is the essence of life. Embrace change as you do life. To fight change is to live in the past.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 03:49 PM

Sportbike: '04 yz250f
How you found us: search engine

alpine skiing, cross-country & tree skiing. Heck I even jumped a few times, that was awesome!!!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Old bikes RULE! RIDE ONE!

Sportbike: Aspencade - sold, GSX-R 1000, GSX 600 F - sold, CB 250, DT 100 A, JR 50
Years Riding: since dirt was new and Jesus was a baby
How you found us: Doc, CherryPicker, BFree - The Paddock at Grattan Raceway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
Crystal Mountan and Boyne Highlands in Michigan aren't too bad. Brighton is the side of a hill.

"For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon.' The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard..."

The first turn is the worst turn, between the left ear and the right one.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 04:20 PM
BSB > WSBK > MotoGP

Sportbike: '02 GSXR 600 / '98 CBRF3
Years Riding: Since '03
How you found us: Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickIF
been snowboarding for 9 years now. Still haven't been out west.
Then you haven't been snowboarding yet. Seriously. Get your ass out west and you will curse the midwest and its flat terrain and straight roads.

Jeff
NESBA #311
'02 GSXR600
'98
Smokin' Joe's F3
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Sportbike: A couple of pasta rockets
Years Riding: Since 1989
How you found us: In the beginning there was CLSB and Tony saw that it was good.

Send a message via AIM to HDTony
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteSeatEnvy
I don't really ski. But, on the weekends I put on my gear and skiis and pose up at SOW.
I'm with him

I have never gone beyond cross county in HS but I awys wanted to try snowboarding.

HDTony.... Damn glad to meet you!

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

- Ronald Reagan

AirTek Heating & Air inc.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 04:34 PM

Sportbike: 08 YZ250F, 03 Tuono
Years Riding: Eh?
How you found us: .

Chris, if you're considering alternate forms of skiing from a portability/mobility standpoint - you don't necessarily have to ditch Alpine. My buddies that live in Jackson all do the following (and forgive the bad terminology):

They have these adapted alpine bindings that will release the heel (similar to telemark setups). Then they put these "skins" on the bottom of their skis. Feels like astroturf kinda. Smooth when you push forward, then lots of grabby material when you try to move it backward.

Anyway, they put these skins on and basically hike up the mountainside. Apparently it works really well. Especially with telescoping ski poles that can be shortened to aide the climb.

Then they get fresh tracks on whatever they want once they get there. Not sure how serious you're trying to get though. If you're doing veritical climbs - you should just learn to snowboard. You can lash the board to your pack, and get crampon attachments for your softboots. Done and done.

(my lazy ass will stick to the lifts though - more power to ya!)

<---- Patrick

Property of Evil Monkey Racing

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Patrick, you just described Randonee skiing. It's also known as AT (alpine touring) skiing. My new skis have the bindings that release the heel for uphill/traverses and then lock my heel down for alpine style skiing. I wear my plastic mountaineering boots and they lock into the bindings.

I also have a pair of skins I've trimmed to fit the bottoms of the skis, nice purple ones from Black Diamond. I also have a pair of poles that I can adjust the length on, also from Black Diamond.

I'm all set with gear, I just need some snow. Next weekend I'm headed on a backcountry ski trip with my mountaineering partner. Hopefully we'll see plenty of snow.

I bleed GREEN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode