Good reccommendations for web protection (firewall)? - Chicagoland Sportbikes
Chicagoland Sportbikes

Open Forum This forum is for all off-topic discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

Sportbike: none for now
Years Riding: ...classified...
How you found us: My psychic advisor told me about it

Good reccommendations for web protection (firewall)?

Question for the computer people:

Having wireless internet installed this Thursday (thanks to an anonymous friend of a friend, I got my install date pushed up about 2 weeks ) I've got 3 PCs here (2 WinXP, one Linux) and figure maybe it's a good idea to put some sort of firewall or something in between me and the web. I only need to get "out" on one PC - but would like all 3 safe from attack..

What do y'all recommend? Is this what a DSL Router does? With this device in place, will I still be able to play online games, etc?

Thanks!

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 05:03 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

McAffe has a decent firewall. Norton is not bad either. Some routers have built in firewalls but I'd still use on on the computer also.

Yeah you still will be able to play games online. All teh DSL router is, is to split up the bandwidth between computers in the home network enviorment.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

So the DSL Router is basically nothing more than your basic hub (or maybe a switch, a little better), but it has "DSL" written on it so people with DSL will buy it?

I figured it'd have a firewall built in.... ok, fine tho. That means I don't have to buy a separate box then.

Somebody on another board I'm on suggested I use my Linux box as a firewall of sorts... that's doable... any idea how hard it is to set this up?

Keep in mind I am computer literate - but NOT networking-literate...

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 06:41 PM
Cuddlie as a koala

Sportbike: Which bike?
Years Riding: Too long.
How you found us: Ken offered me money to join.

A router is basically a hub and switch built together from the way it was explained ot me. I dont know if DSL needs a differetn router than cable modem (I have a D-link router with print server so I can get cable later and network my other computer upstairs to use the same printer).

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

Well... that's just it. I actually had DSL hooked up at my dad's a few years ago, and just used a simple 10/100 hub. I had the DSL modem connected to the hub's Uplink port - and had NO problems logging on from either of the PCs on the network (one running 98 and the other on 2k.)

It wasn't until probably 6 months later that I started seeing "DSL and Cable Routers". I wasn't sure if it was just BS, or if it served a purpose. Just like the "Music" CD-Rs vs. the "Data" CD-Rs. You can buy 1 CD-R for like $5 in the music section of Best Buy... but can buy a 10-pack for the same $5 in the computer section. No difference, other than one says "music" on it. So apparently, a "DSL" router is nothing more than a router, with "DSL" written on it, to dupe people into thinking that they need this $150 router, vs. the $29 hub next to it.

I figured as much. Thanks Rob.

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 08:11 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

I'm using Sygate Personal Firewall software.

Dave
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Grand Master Crash

Will that run on a Linux box?

Jim Ptak
-bikeless-
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 10:11 PM

Sportbike: 2002 Turbo Hayabusa
Years Riding: Lost Track
How you found us: Tony

Quote:
Originally posted by OmniGLH
Will that run on a Linux box?
It's for Windows. I don't know if they have a Linux version but you shouldn't have much problem finding something in the Linux world.

Dave
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 03:01 PM
I wok!

Sportbike: 2006 felt f65 and a 07 STI
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: wtf is this shit...

routers are made for both cable and dsl... only thing they have is a built in hardware firewall which is better than software. u can still play games with it.. u just have to open up ports to game on.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 03:05 PM
I wok!

Sportbike: 2006 felt f65 and a 07 STI
Years Riding: 5 years
How you found us: wtf is this shit...

Quote:
Originally posted by OmniGLH

Just like the "Music" CD-Rs vs. the "Data" CD-Rs. You can buy 1 CD-R for like $5 in the music section of Best Buy... but can buy a 10-pack for the same $5 in the computer section. No difference, other than one says "music" on it.
umm the stereo set cd bruners wouldnt accept computer cdrs for burning and needed special music cdrs to burn which sot 5 bucks a pop =)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 11:16 PM
freaking newbies, man there slow, ha ha ha

Sportbike: Big Wheel
Years Riding: Since 3
How you found us: This is required?

I'd have 2 network cards in the linux box, 1 for the Dsl connection, one to connect to another hub. The other hub would then have the other 2 windows machines connected to it.

Linux has great firewall software that is also free which is the beautiful part. Check out www.freshmeat.net if you didn't know already for more apps then you could ever dream of. The linux box would then protect itself and the rest of the computers on the network.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 12:05 AM

I think the cheapest, and best, way to go for you is to install a second NIC in your linux machine and use it as a firewall. You didn't say which distribution that you use, but all newer distros come with a fireall package. Usually IPFilter now. Basically for the cost of a NIC, around 20 bucks or so now, you can get more features than you'd ever get from a 99-200 dollar 'broadband gateway'. If you need an IPFilter script, let me know. You should be able to download the binary, or source files and compile it on your system.

IPFIlter
http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/

I've used Linux for firewall services for years without a problem. Once you get setup, you can remove the keyboard, mouse, and video from the machine, and never touch it. I put a machine in my mother's house two years ago, and she never has to touch it.

BTW a router is a device 'read computer' that transfers information from one network to another. Basically it's responsible for moving the data from your home network to the Internet network. A hub is an Ethernet device that allows multiple computers to exist on one network. A switch is similar to a hub, but is able to dedicate bandwith to each port on the switch, whereas on a hub the bandwith is shared between all devices. They all look alike but functions are different.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 12:14 AM

Typically the DSL or cable routers sold on the market, have nothing to do with DSL or cable. They are all basically ethernet routers, unless they have an actual coax or RJ11 jack on one end. Most just have an uplink port that you'd connect to the ethernet port from your cable or DSL modem, and 1 or more ethernet ports for you to plug your computer(s) into.

There is also no such thing as a broadband modem. Modem is Modulate/Demodulate, or converting analog noise to a digital bitstream. Cable and DSL networks are already digital. The 'modems' are usually either bridges or routers. People just identify better with the word modem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chicagoland Sportbikes forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode